Sign in to follow this  
AntonyVW

Non-dedicated multiplayer LIMITED WHY?

Why is the nondedicated server so limited to first of all 4 players in stead 8 as promised? and Why can a second player not go out of range of the host? That means no one can go off and do resource gathering out of range unless the host is present and certainly cannot go to another island or grid. That is stupid

Not sure why 4 not 8, but the limited range is so that your PC only has to render the one area.

On Ark they had the same, and there was a setting to lengthen the tether, If your PC was good enough this wasn't a problem. (I could run 3 people on almost infinate tether). I'm not sure what settings Atlas has or if you've a good PC, if it does and you do, hope this helps.

You need to realize that the game is still fundamentally a server architecture.     To get seamless sailing they have to be doing a predictor that figures out what grid you are going to so they can spin up that server while the other server is open.     So if they are allowing 4 unleashed that would be 8 servers.   But you also want to keep a home server open so you can respawn so now you are up to 12 servers open.     Double to 8 unleashed you now have to keep 24 servers open.   Most unofficial dedicated servers are not even that big!

Atlas Server Controller did this very thing, and the biggest user support problem they had players do not understand how much GB each server grid consumes.   For myself with 32GB running the client and 6 grids was occasional out of mem crashes, I had to keep it to 2-3 and do manual rather than followed open (it could not do prediction so just opened all neighbors)

The devs should have access to the steam data that shows them the average system their player is using so that they can set the number of grids they can safely keep open and design their leash limits accordingly.    It would be better if they read their clients system and optimize these leash limits - but even that is not good enough - what if they have too many Chrome chewing up the GB open?   But the practical reality is even a small squad would take up too many GB if they did not stay leashed onto the same grid.

Edited by krazmuze

Ok I understand what is being said but my son was not even able to go out of sight on the same island. My pc is not too slow with an i7 and 32Gb ram (and my internet speed is not to bad at 56Mb), so he should at least have been able to go out of sight on the same island. If even 2 players can not be out of sight on same island then its not going to be a viable option for a small group of friends. So one question I need help with then is what am I looking for to alter the tether and where would I find it?

5 minutes ago, AntonyVW said:

So one question I need help with then is what am I looking for to alter the tether and where would I find it?

General Rules: Non-Dedicated Host Tether Distance. Default is 1.0. Max is 3.0

Below that is max players.

• Like 1

Anyone wouldn’t happen to know how far that gets you apart from each other yet would they with the 3.0 set

Edited by Sugerjunky

2 hours ago, AntonyVW said:

Ok I understand what is being said but my son was not even able to go out of sight on the same island. My pc is not too slow with an i7 and 32Gb ram (and my internet speed is not to bad at 56Mb), so he should at least have been able to go out of sight on the same island. If even 2 players can not be out of sight on same island then its not going to be a viable option for a small group of friends. So one question I need help with then is what am I looking for to alter the tether and where would I find it?

Tether distance is a different problem than server navigation.  The server needs to get all the things out of the server database and send them to the clients render view, and tether distance makes it more likely that they are all the same things so less hit to the server.  You can increase the tether distance but then popup lag will worsen.

Edited by krazmuze

11 hours ago, krazmuze said:

You need to realize that the game is still fundamentally a server architecture.     To get seamless sailing they have to be doing a predictor that figures out what grid you are going to so they can spin up that server while the other server is open.     So if they are allowing 4 unleashed that would be 8 servers.   But you also want to keep a home server open so you can respawn so now you are up to 12 servers open.     Double to 8 unleashed you now have to keep 24 servers open.   Most unofficial dedicated servers are not even that big!

Atlas Server Controller did this very thing, and the biggest user support problem they had players do not understand how much GB each server grid consumes.   For myself with 32GB running the client and 6 grids was occasional out of mem crashes, I had to keep it to 2-3 and do manual rather than followed open (it could not do prediction so just opened all neighbors)

The devs should have access to the steam data that shows them the average system their player is using so that they can set the number of grids they can safely keep open and design their leash limits accordingly.    It would be better if they read their clients system and optimize these leash limits - but even that is not good enough - what if they have too many Chrome chewing up the GB open?   But the practical reality is even a small squad would take up too many GB if they did not stay leashed onto the same grid.

Yeah pretty much. I am still glad they made this decision. So far everything has been ark and with the new single player and non dedicated we can finally close the door on this issue. 

Everyone thought that atlas was a dlc they just needed money for. This is not the case. Ark 2 is where the real big time will come into play