Sign in to follow this  
Aegis

Another Ship Type

Is it possible to get another ship type fit between the Brigantine and Galleon, Brigantine have much Lower HP than the Galleon, but it is much more maneuverable than galleon, but only have 2 gun more than a schooner. Galleon have very high fire power, but it is useless in turning, so if you kill SoTD with it, it will take a very long time to turn and get the loot.

if there is a ship type that can have more HP, fire power of the Brigantine but just a bit less maneuverable still more maneuverable than a galleon but lest HP and fire power, that will be great

there are number of ship type in history can fit for it can look it up

• Like 3

It is my understanding that the number of mast and the rig set up determines the type of ship.  Cutters, sloops, and cat boats are single mast ships.  A cutter is a single mast with two or more head sails and a gaff rig.  The same can perhaps be applied to the brig and brigantine. Head sails and for and aft rig set ups are completely absent from the game among other things.  A little research into the age of sail can provide inspiration to the developers.  

The ship you're referring to would most likely be a Frigate. Which is a ship class that had at lest 28 guns. 

• Like 4

On 7/24/2019 at 2:52 PM, chuck3rd said:

It is my understanding that the number of mast and the rig set up determines the type of ship.  Cutters, sloops, and cat boats are single mast ships.  A cutter is a single mast with two or more head sails and a gaff rig.  The same can perhaps be applied to the brig and brigantine. Head sails and for and aft rig set ups are completely absent from the game among other things.  A little research into the age of sail can provide inspiration to the developers.  

You're mostly correct. There were classes of ship and then classes of that class. For example, take the frigate. You could have a 24 gun (12 guns per side) 1 deck frigate an that was something like a 6th rate and then up to 1st rate of 100+ guns and 3 decks. 
The sloops, schooners and brigs were unrated but could carry anywhere from 4 to 18 guns.  Of course these guns were usually much smaller than what would have been carried on frigates.

Schooners were usually two masts

Sloops were usually not small like in the game, but bigger. For Example, the USS Constellation was considered a sloop-of-war and 3 masted.

A cutter would be more the size of the in-game sloop with one mast

A brig was sometimes as big as a frigate and sometime with as many guns a 6th or 5th rate frigate.

Then you got a Ketch, which was like a sloop or a brig with two masts, except the front mast it the taller mast.

So... I'd like to see a frigate based off the brig frame but bigger. I'd like to see a ship of the line base on the galleon but bigger.

Should be good other types of ships, but not only ships with cannons.

A caravel or a Carrack with high HP, high max weigh, but only a few cannons. Just for transport.

Or a Trirreme. Agile, fast, low HP but capable of ramming big ships with damage reduction.

What do you think?

The merchant fleet has paddle steamers. Imo, they should be using galleons for this and fluyts too. But if they want to keep the paddle steamer in game for the merchants, players should get to build those as well - somewhere down the line of development. 

I agree with this idea and would like to see some other sizes and classes, even if it’s based on the number of gun ports and even reducing the Schooner for 10 to 6 the make the step between it and the Brig better and something between the Brig and the Galleon with say 18 and another at 30 guns

They announced 2 new, in between, ships about a year ago. I think the one you are asking for was called the Indian. It just never materialized.

f there is a ship type that can have more HP, fire power of the Brigantine but just a bit less maneuverable still more maneuverable than a galleon but lest HP and fire power, that will be great

Right now - Brigantine is all you need to fight damned ships. You can add some extra guns in deck (I personally prefer 4 extra each side, so I do 10 cannon volley). And then hunt ANY damned ship by usual boardside fight (it's really fun, you should find right tactics to do so etc). Or you can just put 5-10 cannons to stern and simply do "kite-n-shoot" with no trouble.

The biggest damned crowd I fought - is 11 damned ships in a row. Highest one - 2 damned brigs lvl-54 and lvl-56 and 2 galleys lvl-54 and lvl-60 at once.

So what I wanna tell is... more ship types would be cool. But with current "free to build" system - we already got EVERYTHING we need. While ago I saw this ship passing by my island.

xTcPM2Z.jpg

(I really don't like "designs" like that but every games allows you to do "free building" turns to "screw all aesthetics and historical accuracy" and then "META" comes in).

Edited by George Catcher