Sign in to follow this  
boomervoncannon

A modest proposal regarding the land claim system

48 minutes ago, crazywildfire said:

By doing this you are creating even more spam that leads to even more lag. Sounds great on paper but the spam and lag is bad enough with the flags.

Nah, ark is doing just fine with build anywhere. Proven success 

1 hour ago, krazmuze said:

A modular map sounds like adding new grids is an easy solution

Already with the megapatch additions there is too much copy paste density.  It increased the GB requirements of each grid - and forced them to bring all the servers down so they could hardware upgrade, and similar density makes unofficials less feasible.

So lets say the add new biomes and want to add them to the sides.   The problem with that is the map is an atlas torus - those that settled on the east or west borders did so because it gave access to east and west.   Those settled in polar tundra had access to north and south polar tundra.      You have destroyed their previous sailing routes to their resources.  Might as well just wipe so that people can pick out new places for new maps.

adding islands means adding GB to each server while adding grids means breaking the existing atlas and wiping it.       But more population justifies it?   That only works if you expect population to increase and not die off as the game meta keeps getting trolled by the devs.....there is no monthly subscription nor monetization (maybe planned) so if the OG starts leaving then they are not recommended the game to friends to join and that starts the death spiral of no new income.

This is something that every game has to plan for - the number of players vs. the resources (both real and virtual) of the server.  

But more population justifies it?   That only works if you expect population to increase and not die off 

More population DOES justify it!  It justifies a lot of things.  In any game you need enough game resources to satisfy all your players.  In this game, one of those resources is land.  You can't just keep adding players without having any land for them.  But you don't do it on "expectation" of players, you plan for it ahead of time and then execute it when the players are actually showing up and they're starting to run out of resources.

There are a number of different ways they could expand if they needed to, and each one has drawbacks.  IMO wrecking the server performance or having a full wipe are both way more harsh than adding to the sides of the grid and causing someone to have to sail one extra zone to wrap the globe.

1 hour ago, Realist said:

Nah, ark is doing just fine with build anywhere. Proven success 

We get that but two different games here. Played ark and don't have near the lag like it does here. Guessing because it is one big island vs several spread aprt with many servers. But could be something else idk.

1 hour ago, Winter Thorne said:

I'm not sure how you could have both systems in place at the same time.  If people are claiming islands, then how is someone supposed to do a flag claim?

"Build anywhere" is just a bad mechanic.  It's too griefer prone.  If you have a working claims system you don't need it.

As far as I know, this is something that isn't even worked out yet for the current claim mechanic.  It should be though, assuming players come back.  If there's a calculation that runs every month or every 2 months that checks the company size against the claim size, it could reduce or expand the claim size for each company and make that the current allowed size.  If the players know that's coming on the 1st of every month they get 48 hours or so to replant their flags, they can adjust accordingly.  If you're a smart company leader, you make sure all your important stuff is in a central location, and if you have to reduce, you preserve that.  It's nothing close to a wipe.  Not even close to the raze feature they were going to roll out.   You have control over your company, you can see what's happening with the size, you can control how your base is built, etc.

I know it isn't worked out yet. Idk I'm just seeing it differently then you imo. Is better then the raze option yeah sure but still think it could be tweaked more. I mean as a company leader you would but if the company leader is the one that decides they are tired of playing and someone else in the company says well I will step up and become the leader still the company leader where everything was put in place this way or that all of it goes out the window that leads to losing things just like a raze. But again just my opinion deep down don't see the difference in the long run between the 2 just one works better then the other.

19 hours ago, boomervoncannon said:

You realize GM and dev are two completely different jobs right? 

I think they would have something better to do than police spammers, I don't care if its the janitor :hook:

3 minutes ago, Nutcutt3r said:

I think they would have something better to do than police spammers, I don't care if its the janitor :hook:

This response tells me it's unlikely you read the entire post, just skimmed.

5 hours ago, crazywildfire said:

We get that but two different games here. Played ark and don't have near the lag like it does here. Guessing because it is one big island vs several spread aprt with many servers. But could be something else idk.

Yes it is something else. Atlas is just still in early access and missing the optimizations that ark already has. Lag really has nothing to do with it.

build anywhere will always be superior. Ark has always been build anywhere but in the beginning ark had severe lag. Very severe, to a point where as I was running I would constantly grab rocks just to know the exact second the rubber banding would start. 

Build anywhere has nothing to do with lag. Optimizations have something to do with lag. With ark I used to not only rubber band but also even dc a lot and it has always been build anywhere. Recently when I played ark I was going full days of playtime without any problems and it was kind of crazy to me.

no, it isn’t two different games. One is just optimized more than the other. Build anywhere doesn’t have anything at all to do with lag. Anyone feel free to argue and I will easily dismiss it because I have ark as proof lol

1 hour ago, Realist said:

build anywhere will always be superior.

Atlas already is build anywhere, though.

With the exception of Freeports and Golden Age Ruins there is nothing stopping anyone from building anywhere they want other than if someone else already built there first, same as ARK.

3 minutes ago, Kidori said:

Atlas already is build anywhere, though.

With the exception of Freeports and Golden Age Ruins there is nothing stopping anyone from building anywhere they want other than if someone else already built there first, same as ARK.

Except it isn’t. Claims put a stop to build anywhere.

ah sorry, let me clear that up. Build anywhere at any time without an owner getting rid of your base. Hopefully that cleared it up

Edited by Realist

2 hours ago, Realist said:

Except it isn’t. Claims put a stop to build anywhere.

ah sorry, let me clear that up. Build anywhere at any time without an owner getting rid of your base. Hopefully that cleared it up

My company is pretty spread out across the map, and all of us have our own outposts for farming/taming/whatever else. All told, we have more than 50 outposts on different islands, as well as over 300 more little huts with dp beds all over the world, and never once has anything of ours been destroyed by another person outside of our company.

The concern you have of other people destroying your stuff is a perfectly valid concern, and it's one that a lot of us shared with the recent announced change that was then reverted. But unlike that issue I feel on this one you're perhaps disconnected from the reality of how it actually plays out in the game.

Unless you're foundation spamming or building the spiritual succesor to the Great Wall of China across someone else's island, your actual risk is next to none. As someone that has built anywhere they wanted to whenever they wanted and has done so on a large portion of the inhabitable Islands in the game, I can safely tell you that yes, it is functionally no different from build anywhere.

20 minutes ago, Kidori said:

My company is pretty spread out across the map, and all of us have our own outposts for farming/taming/whatever else. All told, we have more than 50 outposts on different islands, as well as over 300 more little huts with dp beds all over the world, and never once has anything of ours been destroyed by another person outside of our company.

The concern you have of other people destroying your stuff is a perfectly valid concern, and it's one that a lot of us shared with the recent announced change that was then reverted. But unlike that issue I feel on this one you're perhaps disconnected from the reality of how it actually plays out in the game.

Unless you're foundation spamming or building the spiritual succesor to the Great Wall of China across someone else's island, your actual risk is next to none. As someone that has built anywhere they wanted to whenever they wanted and has done so on a large portion of the inhabitable Islands in the game, I can safely tell you that yes, it is functionally no different from build anywhere.

That is completely situational. I actually like you @Kidori, you haven’t been disrespectful as far as I can remember. I completely see where you are co omg from bu the possibility of “build anywhere” and the reality of “build anywhere” are also two separate things.

we all need to realize that the ONE thing from ark that should not have come over was the wipes. I mean holy hell. Ark was a huge success but the only time they ever took a hit in numbers was because of the wipes that Megas were doing.

you would think they would learn from their mistakes. Ala jeremy “we have learned from our mistakes”. Yeah I never trusted jeremy 4 years ago and I still don’t. Plenty of reasons why even now.

2 hours ago, Realist said:

That is completely situational. I actually like you @Kidori, you haven’t been disrespectful as far as I can remember. I completely see where you are co omg from bu the possibility of “build anywhere” and the reality of “build anywhere” are also two separate things.

we all need to realize that the ONE thing from ark that should not have come over was the wipes. I mean holy hell. Ark was a huge success but the only time they ever took a hit in numbers was because of the wipes that Megas were doing.

you would think they would learn from their mistakes. Ala jeremy “we have learned from our mistakes”. Yeah I never trusted jeremy 4 years ago and I still don’t. Plenty of reasons why even now.

I completely agree with you in regard to the wiping of bases. It's something entirely unnecessary that provides absolutely no benefit and has cost and continues to cost players and the game at large dearly.

Edit: I should rephrase that. Wiping bases by itself isn't the issue, but being able to completely wipe out everything a player/company owns and resetting their progress essentially back to zero is absolutely an issue.

Edited by Kidori
  • Like 2