Realist

The Danger Zone

We have reached a crucial point at this time. I was starting to get very worried about this. We have reached the point of pre wipe numbers and there is no wipe on sight. Most people say the reason for the lowest numbers was because of the wipe but as we can see, the numbers are now there again. True, people were waiting for the wipe to come back and we saw almost 3k people come back which was a good thing.

the main problem is that a wipe isn’t coming very shortly.

I would like everyone to take the time to say just one thing that they think would spring new life into atlas. Just one. Even if you think multiple things need changing, pick your main idea.

I will start things off. The claim system has seemed to be the bane of atlas so I choose to get rid of the claim system.

Please don’t say the game is fine. It is not. Give them a drawing board to work with.

Edited by Realist

Pfft. I gave at the office.

And by the office I mean I already put my idea out there in the underpowered sharks thread. Flying sharks with lasers would fix everything overnight. I’ll put Boomer’s guarantee on that.

Also, I’m pretty sure it’s a federal law you can’t have a thread with this title without including the theme music.

You’re welcome

Edited by boomervoncannon
  • Haha 4

im not saying atlas doesnt need improving, but its summer and its vacation time, summer always drops game pops... maybe  even more in atlas's case.

Edited by Remo
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Remo said:

im not saying atlas doesnt need improving, but its summer and its vacation time, summer always drops game pops... maybe  even more in atlas's case.

Unfortunately that is not true in the slightest lol. I was hoping this bad arguement wouldn’t be brought up. 

That is simply not true. At all. Feel free to look at ark numbers from the beginning. There are a couple of times where they didn’t have a big release of some sort during summer but other than that ark saw very high numbers during the summer months.

that is one of the worst arguments you could ever have. That was not a personal attack on you by any means but you need to realize that once summer break hits, all the kids are doing nothing but playing video games.

Edited by Realist

30 minutes ago, boomervoncannon said:

Pfft. I gave at the office.

And by the office I mean I already put my idea out there in the underpowered sharks thread. Flying sharks with lasers would fix everything overnight. I’ll put Boomer’s guarantee on that.

Also, I’m pretty sure it’s a federal law you can’t have a thread with this title without including the theme music.

You’re welcome

Being real with you boomer. I knew the first thread would derail, but I did not expect it to be you.

we had some good serious convos and we have also had witty banter. If you aren’t concerned right no then I don’t k ow what to tell you. We can mess around later.

i want co sole released. If they drop to even below no mans sky it is not going to be done.

Edited by Realist

I think the claim system is ok. Sure, in my opinion the best claim system would be like the old system, with flags for a small territory, but with a cap on flags so the whole map isn't owned by a couple of companies. That said, I am ok with the current system. 

So my main suggestion would be to evolve the lore a lot. That can entail  a lot. Im gonna focus on one aspect. I mean they should include some quests Into the game. By quests I mean easy to medium level quests, that are doable for solo and very small crews. Perhaps even some sort of daily/weekly quest (a selection of 20 quests that gets swapped eveey week so that it is not the same quest every week).

The "quests" they have now aren't really quests at all, imo. It's just a mess with the powerstones, hydras etc. And way too hard level for casuals and/or very small crews etc. 

What I mean by quests is, you go to a freeport and meet some npc guys there, and they have a bunch of quests for you. The quests can be interesting and tell you something about the lore  (go kill pirate X because... ), or some of them could be fun and silly, just to get a little exp and / or gold. 

I come from a WoW background and therefore is disappointed by the lack of quests, since there were thousands in WoW. While they might have had too many, Atlas has none. (At least in the sense of the word quest that I mean). I don't know if it is possible for them to incorporate quests in this way or not since I know nothing about programming, just throwing the idea out there, since I have heard a lot of people say it gets boring after a while with "nothing to do". This could hopefully be implemented in steps and without needing to wipe. 

Cause whatever they do, they can't wipe again for a good long while, I think that would be a death sentence for this game. 

I am pve by the way, but I guess that might be clear from my suggestion. 😋

I know the arguments about MMO definition, but in general we know the common thoughts when something is called an MMO.

Atlas could do with some of these elements, rather than just a masive "Ark" like game with boats.

Devs have said many times pop numbers dont consern them, they just want that xbox release, thats big dollars for them. In sea of thieves 85% played on xbox 15% on pc. Pc players atm are nothing more than crash test dummies.

Edited by lordkhan4444

High latency,  rollbacks, microfreezes when you load structures, extremely low fps and continuous game crashes. Even though the game has improved a lot since release, in most pvp situations the game is  barely playable.  So as a pvp player my main issue with the game is performance.

The game is starting to get positive feedback on steam, so let's hope we'll finally see a bottom in playerbase during the summer to go up from there.

15 minutes ago, znasser said:

High latency,  rollbacks, microfreezes when you load structures, extremely low fps and continuous game crashes. Even though the game has improved a lot since release, in most pvp situations the game is  barely playable.  So as a pvp player my main issue with the game is performance.

The game is starting to get positive feedback on steam, so let's hope we'll finally see a bottom in playerbase during the summer to go up from there.

On another AE game those devs said that performance changes with each new thing added to the game, so doing improvements at every stage took time and could be made redundant by later additions. so they didn't realy worry about performance until they were happy with content and then they made huge performance increases.

Is Atlas the same? I don't know, but due to past experience i'll be patient with performance for now,

4 hours ago, Realist said:

Being real with you boomer. I knew the first thread would derail, but I did not expect it to be you.

we had some good serious convos and we have also had witty banter. If you aren’t concerned right no then I don’t k ow what to tell you. We can mess around later.

i want co sole released. If they drop to even below no mans sky it is not going to be done.

*shrugs*

I’m not going to assume responsibility for whether the game lives or dies even though I like it well enough to play it. I have done my part: bought the game, offered feedback here as clearly and honestly as I can, and been directly responsible for at least 3 friends buying and trying the game as well.

The numbers are what they are. I do not pretend to have any particular insight into whether console release will actually happen or not, but I don’t know how much, if any, current activity numbers have any bearing on that decision. The only information I have in hand are developer statements that they aren’t particularly concerned with activity numbers at this stage. I’m willing to accept this as a working premise but if I woke up one day to discover the plug had been pulled it wouldn’t shock me either.

The point is since I don’t know I’m not gonna dwell on it. I don’t see anything wrong with asking folks to contribute ideas, but whether the devs will take any such ideas and use them would be a decision making process by people who have not exactly guided Atlas into the sunshine of good reviews and a strong player base, therefore there is a definite limit on how much help we can give.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NoobieDooz said:

I think the claim system is ok. Sure, in my opinion the best claim system would be like the old system, with flags for a small territory, but with a cap on flags so the whole map isn't owned by a couple of companies. That said, I am ok with the current system. 

So my main suggestion would be to evolve the lore a lot. That can entail  a lot. Im gonna focus on one aspect. I mean they should include some quests Into the game. By quests I mean easy to medium level quests, that are doable for solo and very small crews. Perhaps even some sort of daily/weekly quest (a selection of 20 quests that gets swapped eveey week so that it is not the same quest every week).

The "quests" they have now aren't really quests at all, imo. It's just a mess with the powerstones, hydras etc. And way too hard level for casuals and/or very small crews etc. 

What I mean by quests is, you go to a freeport and meet some npc guys there, and they have a bunch of quests for you. The quests can be interesting and tell you something about the lore  (go kill pirate X because... ), or some of them could be fun and silly, just to get a little exp and / or gold. 

I come from a WoW background and therefore is disappointed by the lack of quests, since there were thousands in WoW. While they might have had too many, Atlas has none. (At least in the sense of the word quest that I mean). I don't know if it is possible for them to incorporate quests in this way or not since I know nothing about programming, just throwing the idea out there, since I have heard a lot of people say it gets boring after a while with "nothing to do". This could hopefully be implemented in steps and without needing to wipe. 

Cause whatever they do, they can't wipe again for a good long while, I think that would be a death sentence for this game. 

I am pve by the way, but I guess that might be clear from my suggestion. 😋

It doesn’t matter if you are pve or pvp. Quests are always a good idea. I like how you described it as well. Quests are always a safe bet that can possibly be a bad addition. I think lots of quests would be awesome.

4 hours ago, lordkhan4444 said:

Devs have said many times pop numbers dont consern them, they just want that xbox release, thats big dollars for them. In sea of thieves 85% played on xbox 15% on pc. Pc players atm are nothing more than crash test dummies.

Very true. Xbox is going to bring in plenty of money. At the same time I am also doing this because I would like a high population to stay on Xbox so if you have any ideas for any changes they would be greatly appreciated by probably a lot of people.

27 minutes ago, Realist said:

It doesn’t matter if you are pve or pvp. Quests are always a good idea. I like how you described it as well. Quests are always a safe bet that can possibly be a bad addition. I think lots of quests would be awesome.

Very true. Xbox is going to bring in plenty of money. At the same time I am also doing this because I would like a high population to stay on Xbox so if you have any ideas for any changes they would be greatly appreciated by probably a lot of people.

Lol, fix it before I have to play it! 😜

Kidding aside, I would love to fix Atlas for you, and I think there's at least a decent chance that console launch represents a second chance for the game to sell itself to an entire market free of the negative stigma of the game's inauspicious beginnings. I just can't write a lick of code and have no experience of game design, but I'll do what I can from here as long as it's not getting Jat's coffee. I agree that quests, real quests, do seem to represent low hanging fruit at this point.

Edited by boomervoncannon
  • Like 1

One of the argument is :
Most of people don't want to play on official, for many reasons
- People are douchbage
- Can't choose config
- Can't play as they want
- No mods
- Ask for a loooot of time

If you look on the number on Ark, people playing on official are very very very low compared to the whole players.
On Atlas that's the contrary, we have almosy obligation to play official
They were no solo, you can't really have your own unnoficial, cost way too much to have a good grid to have everything we need, others unnoficial are kinda bad for the moment, and more.

But, that is changing.
Now we have Solo
They will add WPE which will give a very cool/fun feature for solo/small group
Non-dedi are coming soon
ISO: Blackwood is coming soon aswell, so we''ll be able to host our own server as on Ark with friend and more with only one server
Mods are coming

The problem with official is that we are forced to play in one kind of way
While on Ark we had the choice to play where and how we want

With ISO: Blackwood, a lot of people will create their own server, especially country server.
There will be country server where people could talk their native language, do trade and more while they couldn't before.
Now we'll have a choice to where and with who we play. Without being greif by others.
And I think that's a lot of change.

It will take some time to people actually come back, or to new to come.
But meh, wasn't it the same on Ark at the beginning ?

I myself took a pause on Atlas, cause bored of official
And tried to test Valguero with friends
And.. meh... after playing 600 hour on Atlas, Ark and Valguero looked so.. common..
Map looked empty, exploration was cool but nothing to do with Atlas one.
Building is awful x)
Items/skins/animations look bad/old compared to Atlas.

The thing that were cool to see again, was a continent
And ohhh, awesome, ISO: Blackwood is coming for that 😄 

Island claims are ok.
PVE foundation spam, etc. is ultimatly a problem of no PVP, which fix that.

Game is dying because of
1)PVP low survival rate for the defender = loose of stuff way more valuable than the cost for attacker, resulting in more and more wiped people leaving because "whats the point?"
2)PVE at some point not much more to do in a game which is PVP centric. Also because of no PVP the griefing, like being hindered in continue building because of structure obstruction.

So my main change would be - apart from finally overhaul PVP combat to be fair for the defender -

to get rid of the claim flag raid/protection timer and switch over to a claim flag raid area which is 24/7 while the rest of the island is full protected.

Would give PVE an option to finally be save on PVP - no more need for PVE servers and the "special balancing" needed with that very toxic community.
Would only need high structure count in the flag combat area, so the rest of the island - like every other base and ships just anchoring - do not be covered with even more structure spam just so they not get raided/offlined. Keeps islands and server resources clean.
Does not mean your stuff is 100% save - if island becomes lawless so goes the protection - but it is a calculateable risk and you can help in keeping the protection even if your are not the owner and while your stuff outside the flag radius is still protected while you PVP to hold the island.
This would also be inline with the coming flag height change, as the Flag Castle is separate from the other stuff on the island.

12 hours ago, Realist said:

I would like everyone to take the time to say just one thing that they think would spring new life into atlas.

How about not making the same "Population is X = Game is Dead/Dying" thread over and over and over... believe it or not it would actually help. I'm serious. That's my suggestion.

Reviews are on the rise. New sales are too. WPE is sure to bring in some old and new (if all you care about it population) and who knows what's slated for MU4 or beyond. There's still 17months of EA. The devs themselves have made it clear they do not care about the concurrent numbers at this point in development. Your username is Realist ffs. Its ironic really.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, globytheoldpirate said:

One of the argument is :
Most of people don't want to play on official, for many reasons
- People are douchbage
- Can't choose config
- Can't play as they want
- No mods
- Ask for a loooot of time

If you look on the number on Ark, people playing on official are very very very low compared to the whole players.
On Atlas that's the contrary, we have almosy obligation to play official
They were no solo, you can't really have your own unnoficial, cost way too much to have a good grid to have everything we need, others unnoficial are kinda bad for the moment, and more.

But, that is changing.
Now we have Solo
They will add WPE which will give a very cool/fun feature for solo/small group
Non-dedi are coming soon
ISO: Blackwood is coming soon aswell, so we''ll be able to host our own server as on Ark with friend and more with only one server
Mods are coming

The problem with official is that we are forced to play in one kind of way
While on Ark we had the choice to play where and how we want

With ISO: Blackwood, a lot of people will create their own server, especially country server.
There will be country server where people could talk their native language, do trade and more while they couldn't before.
Now we'll have a choice to where and with who we play. Without being greif by others.
And I think that's a lot of change.

It will take some time to people actually come back, or to new to come.
But meh, wasn't it the same on Ark at the beginning ?

I myself took a pause on Atlas, cause bored of official
And tried to test Valguero with friends
And.. meh... after playing 600 hour on Atlas, Ark and Valguero looked so.. common..
Map looked empty, exploration was cool but nothing to do with Atlas one.
Building is awful x)
Items/skins/animations look bad/old compared to Atlas.

The thing that were cool to see again, was a continent
And ohhh, awesome, ISO: Blackwood is coming for that 😄 

Globy I like how this post looks like free form verse. It needs a fun title like: Globy’s free form meditations on the game.

Offer random generated quest based on the reputation of someone. Better reputation, you get better quests. Give equip already crafted with no extra % increased by int. It would be nice that normal players can get fine, journament, mastercraft, legendary or mythical gear like armors, melee weapons, ranged weapons, pistols.  

Depending of what the quest is the reward. Could be a farming quest and you get a legendary shovel. Or a quest of killing a NPC in golden age, and you get a gun. Or a quest of fish a rare fish and get a fishing rod mythical.

You need to do great quest with good rewards. The gear have to be good like myth legendary or mastercraft. Like 95% of the general population have no items better than fine. Usual players dont move more than 2 grids away from their islands. Let them take quest in Freeport and get some useful items. People will raid more to get more items. And if you are wiped you can always do quest to recover some items, you dont need to travel around the world to get good stuff for equal PVP.  Right now only big tribes or organized have access to end game weapons and equipment, the pvp is not fun when an average Joe with common equipment have no chance to fight a guy full mythical that can tank carbine headshoots. Or implement a shop to sell stuff in Freeport, the coin to buy is points for quest. Also give experience with every quest.

Edited by Emanuel a

So glad people that dont own or play the game is making a post about wiping people that do...

19 hours ago, Realist said:

blah blah blah blah

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Nari said:

How about not making the same "Population is X = Game is Dead/Dying" thread over and over and over... believe it or not it would actually help. I'm serious. That's my suggestion.

Reviews are on the rise. New sales are too. WPE is sure to bring in some old and new (if all you care about it population) and who knows what's slated for MU4 or beyond. There's still 17months of EA. The devs themselves have made it clear they do not care about the concurrent numbers at this point in development. Your username is Realist ffs. Its ironic really.

Not sure where you got that new sales are on the rise because that is false. We are now in the 2k’s. 

I doesn’t matter who cares about numbers or not. What needs to be worried about is that the less people that play, the ones that actually like the game will eventually leave to because the clusters will resemble single player.

true the review percentages have risen but it is by a small amount.

time to get rid of claims and bring in factions

18 hours ago, Nari said:

To be honest we have already seen 2 mega updates since the wipe and even those still saw a consistent drop. The only that has ever actually raised the population was the wipe.

the basic game needs to change and until then there is nothing they could add that will bring people back. We don’t even have to argue since the proof is already there.

13 hours ago, Realist said:

Not sure where you got that new sales are on the rise because that is false.

By actually playing the game...

I've met a lot of people in game who recently purchased. As in since MU2. Your experience on the other hand.... is watching some numbers move up/down on a screen and jumping to conclusions. Hell, a quick peek into the Steam Discussions and you would see that every other thread is a new player asking questions, for advise, reporting bugs. A large portion are people who just bought in for SP. Stop talking out of your ass as if you know what you're actually talking about 🙄 you don't. Likewise for your suggestions.

*Oh look, Non-Dedicated was released. There's quite a few who've been holding off for this feature specifically.

Edited by Nari
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Nari said:

By actually playing the game...

I've met a lot of people in game who recently purchased. As in since MU2. Your experience on the other hand.... is watching some numbers move up/down on a screen and jumping to conclusions. Hell, a quick peek into the Steam Discussions and you would see that every other thread is a new player asking questions, for advise, reporting bugs. A large portion are people who just bought in for SP. Stop talking out of your ass as if you know what you're actually talking about 🙄 you don't. Likewise for your suggestions.

*Oh look, Non-Dedicated was released. There's quite a few who've been holding off for this feature specifically.

You are a pretty rude person. There is no reason to act like that. Just because you disagree with me and I don’t own a game doesn’t give you the right to be disrespectful. This is pretty shameful behavior to say the least.

i see you telling people they are wrong a lot but I am not really seeing suggestions.

Even in games like WOW you get a constant ebb and flow of players,In my friends list I see some inactive for 6-7 months at a time,then all of a sudden they are all playing again.People have to remember how many online multiplayer games are available,you cant play them all at the same time,you can try but eventually you'll have to cut the amount down,especially as a lot of them now have some system of decay.I't not necessarily because one game is much better,but sometimes it's just the need to do something different.And decay timers haven't helped,even though they are necessary. 

1 minute ago, Realist said:

You are a pretty rude person. There is no reason to act like that. Just because you disagree with me and I don’t own a game doesn’t give you the right to be disrespectful. This is pretty shameful behavior to say the least.

i see you telling people they are wrong a lot but I am not really seeing suggestions.

I'll level with you. I read between the lines here and I see are 3 things.

1: Pop is particularly low today - Excuse. 2: You don't like claims. Period. - Opportunity. 3: You're bored. - Motive.  People looking into buying the game on the other hand won't see this. They'll see yet another thread about how "deeply concerned" someone is about the population. Not aware of any of the aforementioned improvements or upward trends. Which is why I took a moment to point them out. I would have left it at that but you didn't.