Sign in to follow this  
Slash78

What happened to the player Market?

I remember before the Wipe the devs were talking about markets and about players being able to set up shops.  Whatever happened to this?

Are they useful?  Do people use them?

Asking because since I've been back I've spent most of my time gathering by hand in a lawless area.  Haven't got to explore very much.

Location. Location. Location.

Story time. So I was minding my own business sailing the around this wide open donut we call the Atlas with the wind blowing -75 to Port when I spotted a White Whale off the Starboard side. Pretty close but nothing to be concerned about, or so I thought. So I held my course fully expecting to just sail on by. Turns out my client (or the whale) was out of sync pretty bad because the next thing I know the Bow starts taking some serious damage. *cue battle music*  Planks explode. Ships goin down. No mats or spares on board just gold. Real clusterfuck of a situation. So I bank hard to Port into the wind, adjust the sails, and pray to Poseidon that we can make it to shore in time. Upon arriving, to my surprise, I find a dock with a shop perfectly positioned and stocked with everything needed to patch up before it was too late. I'm talking Pirates of the Caribbean style where Jack pulls in just as the ship sinks.gif

Are they useful? Absolutely!

• Like 1

no one plays the game no more so there useless ..... 4,000 players and most are on private dedicated or EU or NA so to many options to be a busy server for player markets to work for shit..

5 minutes ago, cpspok said:

no one plays the game no more so there useless ..... 4,000 players and most are on private dedicated or EU or NA so to many options to be a busy server for player markets to work for shit..

Actually the majority of people are still playing official servers.  The biggest problem is the vast majority who've left and the devs can't seem to figure out 1) why they left and because of that 2) how to bring them back.

1 hour ago, Slash78 said:

Actually the majority of people are still playing official servers.  The biggest problem is the vast majority who've left and the devs can't seem to figure out 1) why they left and because of that 2) how to bring them back.

The maintenance costs for the shops being wildly over the top might have been one reason.

5 hours ago, boomervoncannon said:

The maintenance costs for the shops being wildly over the top might have been one reason.

And i never read about any changement about the upkeep cost of the shops.

as long as they don't change the shops in access-tables to an Atlas wide auction house, they are really useless.

Not going to sail around endlessly to find shops that may or may not have interesting goods or being restocked. It maybe would have worked with the playerbase they aimed for, but i really doubt they will ever get there. Apart from the ridiculous costs to have them in Freeports, the decay ruins the idea as well. It is like going shopping knowing your car will be keyed while you browse.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Slash78 said:

Actually if you look at Steam numbers being around 4k and you use this up to the minute official population tracker you will see the current numbers hover between 1k and 1500 depending on the time of day and region. Data don't lie. https://atlas.hgn.hu/

In my mind player shop upkeep cost is really stupid idea those must be free,  so i can put it up near my base or on the ship  and hope that someone will buy something.

390 players in EU PVE ^^

Edited by Hexaron

1 minute ago, Hexaron said:

In my mind player shop upkeep cost is really stupid idea those must be free,  so i can put it up near my base or on the ship  and hope that someone will buy something.

The upkeep only applies to Freeports last time i checked.

1 hour ago, Grongash said:

The upkeep only applies to Freeports last time i checked.

While true, the most obvious place for displaying ones wares is in the highest traffic areas. The old saw in retail is that the 3 most important things are location, location, and location (this was in a pre internet world). The insane (and that's honestly what they are) upkeep costs for shops placed in freeports makes them effectively non viable. what would make sense to me is having to pay a percentage of sales for shops placed in freeports, but not the current rent prices, they're just plain nuts.

28 minutes ago, boomervoncannon said:

While true, the most obvious place for displaying ones wares is in the highest traffic areas. The old saw in retail is that the 3 most important things are location, location, and location (this was in a pre internet world). The insane (and that's honestly what they are) upkeep costs for shops placed in freeports makes them effectively non viable. what would make sense to me is having to pay a percentage of sales for shops placed in freeports, but not the current rent prices, they're just plain nuts.

I agree, that plus ship decay makes them worthless in the only place they make sense in. It would really help if the developers would actually play their game. Apart from messing around with new stuff via console commands. It is pretty obvious that they are not knowing about how impractical most of their decisions are.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Grongash said:

I agree, that plus ship decay makes them worthless in the only place they make sense in. It would really help if the developers would actually play their game. Apart from messing around with new stuff via console commands. It is pretty obvious that they are not knowing about how impractical most of their decisions are.

I wholeheartedly agree that the strong impression I'm consistently getting is that they lack the practical knowledge of play experience within the game to a meaningful degree.

• Like 1

They should sort out a system to get feedback from people who do play the game.

Oh! Wait. Never mind, that doesn't work.

14 hours ago, Nari said:

They were implemented.

vvN1IdE.png

Do you have to have a certain skill for it to show up in your crafting menu? I haven't been able to find it anywhere. 

3 hours ago, UnknownSystemError said:

Actually if you look at Steam numbers being around 4k and you use this up to the minute official population tracker you will see the current numbers hover between 1k and 1500 depending on the time of day and region. Data don't lie. https://atlas.hgn.hu/

1422 of 2230 is 63.8%.  So yeah, that's a majority that are on the official servers.

2 hours ago, Warspectre said:

Do you have to have a certain skill for it to show up in your crafting menu? I haven't been able to find it anywhere. 

You need the Master Builder, the one that also lets you build stone walls etc.

9 minutes ago, Grongash said:

You need the Master Builder, the one that also lets you build stone walls etc.

Ah OK, that would explain it. Thanks!