Sign in to follow this  
Slash78

Why aren't Leaks on the Log?

So, why aren't leaks and what caused them on the Company Log?

Devs, FIX THIS!!!

• Like 2

Leaks come from plank's going under what 500hp's?    If your taking damage from Canon's well that caused your leaks champ,  Otherwise decay damage,  or you hit a shallow spot.  Which frankly I have done countless times,  whats odd, sometimes you take damage,  sometimes you don't but you cannot move forward, and have to spin all the way around until the boat is released.  

I like the no damage shallow but cannot move,  which i think is because i am coming in slowly under 2 knots, compared to running in full speed then hitting "X" just as i get under 8% distance.   

I dont think the logs need to catch leaks,  Knowing the ship sunk, is all i need to know,  How it happens is a process of elimination,  either it was blown up, got hurt & didn't repair, or hit the shallow. 

Just my 2cents

Edited by Dosgimp

2 minutes ago, Dosgimp said:

Leaks come from plank's going under what 500hp's?    If your taking damage from Canon's well that caused your leaks champ,  Otherwise decay damage,  or you hit a shallow spot.  Which frankly I have done countless times,  whats odd, sometimes you take damage,  sometimes you don't but you cannot move forward, and have to spin all the way around until the boat is released.  

I like the no damage shallow but cannot move,  which i think is because i am coming in slowly under 2 knots, compared to running in full speed then hitting "X" just as i get under 8% distance.   

I dont think the logs need to catch leaks,  Knowing the ship sunk, is all i need to know,  How it happens is a process of elimination,  either it was blown up, got hurt & didn't repair, or hit the shallow. 

Just my 2cents

No, that's not all I need to know.

They need to log that a leak was caused and what caused it.  Especially when you know it wasn't caused by decay or running aground.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Dosgimp said:

Just my 2cents

Or 99% of the time, was just deleted by the game for some random reason.  All ship sinkings should be in the log.  Along with the reason why.

8 hours ago, Martyn said:

Or 99% of the time, was just deleted by the game for some random reason.

I've NEVER seen anything like this happen nor are there any reports of it either. 99% is a bit of stretch...

I agree with the OP. The source of a leak should be identified particularly if the source is another player. This sounds like a way to sink entire fleets without a trace.

2 minutes ago, Nari said:

I've NEVER seen anything like this happen nor are there any reports of it either. 99% is a bit of stretch...

I agree with the OP. The source of a leak should be identified particularly if the source is another player. This sounds like a way to sink entire fleets without a trace.

There's plenty of reports of ships being deleted.  Maybe you need your eyes checked.  Think you suffer from csbrs.

Edited by Martyn

Just now, Martyn said:

There's plenty of reports of ships being deleted.  Maybe you need your eyes checked.

Yes deleted. Plenty of reports about decay, Possible bugs even. Not a SINGLE person has reported a plank magically being deleted for no explainable reason.

8 minutes ago, Nari said:

Yes deleted. Plenty of reports about decay, Possible bugs even. Not a SINGLE person has reported a plank magically being deleted for no explainable reason.

Actually I did.. Well, it wasn't a plank.. the whole ship, just exploded as I logged in and sank.  Wasn't a single plank on it damaged.. not one.  Just my ship lying on the seabed.. all perfect like.  I wasn't the last.. I've since come across maybe a dozen, perfectly built ships just lying on the seabed.. sunk, but not sunk, well.. not until I got there and dismantled them.

I am but one.. imagine how many I missed..  We are but a few who write here.. imagine how many people have problems.. but never write them down in the forums.  Now tell me again.. how many ships don't go missing for no reason.

Definitely csbrs.. developers get it all the time.. well 99% of them.  (I might be generalising a little bit)

Don't know how you're confusing planks missing with ships sinking.  I was referring to the latter.. in his post.. he wasn't just talking about the plank.. I rather think the entire ship was more of an issue.

Edited by Martyn

Just now, Martyn said:

how many ships don't go missing for no reason.

None.

All can be explained with the exception of the recent changes to decay which have resulted in some speculation about bugs. 99% of all statistics are pulled out of someone ass on the spot.

5 minutes ago, Nari said:

None.

All can be explained with the exception of the recent changes to decay which have resulted in some speculation about bugs. 99% of all statistics are pulled out of someone ass on the spot.

Prove it. See you can't.. why? Because most guesses are actually right. Statistics are just avgs taken out of context. There's a difference.

I have seen, perfect ships sitting on the seabed.  Not a single damaged plank. How'd they get there? How did it happen? Magic?

Doesn't happen much now tho.. ships just go "" and that's it.  One is there one moment.. then it isn't. Just gone. No wreck, no flotsam.. just water.

Edited by Martyn
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Slash78 said:

No, that's not all I need to know.

They need to log that a leak was caused and what caused it.  Especially when you know it wasn't caused by decay or running aground.

I agree with this.  You know if I'm driving down the road.. I need a msg telling me I've picked up a nail.. which tyre it's in and how long before the car goes into barrel roll and what my life expectancy is.

I don't want to just wake up in hospital with no clue what happened.

2 hours ago, Nari said:

I've reported it a couple of times. Had one ship spring a leak while it was docked in my own harbour. It was fully repaired and not in a Freeport's. So yes it does happen randomly

8 hours ago, AntonyVW said:

I've reported it a couple of times. Had one ship spring a leak while it was docked in my own harbour. It was fully repaired and not in a Freeport's. So yes it does happen randomly

Where you there when it happened?  Because a lot of these leaks aren't happening all on their own.

He just said it did and he wasn't in a freeport.. it was docked in his harbour.. therefore, he also, had to be at the harbour.. to see it docked and see a leaking plank..

So he had to be there.. or he wouldn't have seen it happen..

WIth "docked" he probably meant laying for anchor, in which case there are a few stories about similar cases.
Him being there is irrelevant to the use case, but it is relevant to the truth (from a witness PoV).

Martyn, you have made statements in this thread about planks and then corrected yourself and said it was about whole ships. Those are very different use cases. I'm not sure how you will respond, but I am willing to at least try and ask you to take a bit more responsibility for your fact statements. You can still go wild with your opinion statements 🙂 .

respectfully

I am in a large company and we have not seen this.  We have seen abandoned ships sink due to decay and I once sprung a leak after getting home and anchoring.  When I noticed the leak I checked the plank and it was at 1499.  Planks start leaking at this point.  It was easily explainable by me not repairing my planks after an engagement because I was out of repair mats and ran home to restock on supplies.  If I logged off the ship would have sank.  If nobody rendered it for the next 3 days the next time someone rendered it they would have seen it sink at that time even though it sank and was in the logs 3 days prior.  Not an ideal way to handle it, but this is how the game works. 

Edited by DocHolliday

4 hours ago, Slash78 said:

Where you there when it happened?  Because a lot of these leaks aren't happening all on their own.

Both my son and myself were present when the leak started. We searched both inside and outside the ship for possible causes. The ship was anchored (or docked as I stated) at our island so we know the island and its water around our docks well. The ship was repaired less than 4 hours before hand as it had recently returned from sailing around several grids. Neither of us could explain why it happened.

You simply missed a plank.  People do this all the time.

28 on a schooner, 40 on a brig and I forget how many on a galleon.  I refuse to build/own one due to the upkeep.  Point is they are easily missed.

Them: "I repaired all the planks and checked them twice"

Me:  "I just found one at 1800hp."

Them:  "Oops"

Like I said it happens all the time.  Some people are worse than others.  I've Watched people checking planks and skip over one.  Maybe something is in the way and its hard to get a proper angle on it, maybe they got distracted.  All I know is I've seen people miss them and lose ships and blame the game then catch the same damn person missing planks on my boats.  Humans.  If it can be fucked up we can fuck it up.   Getting most people to admit that their mistake cost them a ship.....yeah good luck with that one. 

Edited by DocHolliday
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, DocHolliday said:

You simply missed a plank.  People do this all the time.

28 on a schooner, 40 on a brig and I forget how many on a galleon.  I refuse to build/own one due to the upkeep.  Point is they are easily missed.

Them: "I repaired all the planks and checked them twice"

Me:  "I just found one at 1800hp."

Them:  "Oops"

Like I said it happens all the time.  Some people are worse than others.  I've Watched people checking planks and skip over one.  Maybe something is in the way and its hard to get a proper angle on it, maybe they got distracted.  All I know is I've seen people miss them and lose ships and blame the game then catch the same damn person missing planks on my boats.  Humans.  If it can be fucked up we can fuck it up.   Getting most people to admit that their mistake cost them a ship.....yeah good luck with that one. 

Exactly. Every bottom level on schooner  and bigger is a hotspot for mistakes because of how easy it is to miss one looking at upper one, or because chest was in the way when checking from inside. 
I've missed one or two so many times during routine maintenance from inside that now i'm always swimming around my ship. Until I won't find anything twice. Carefully. I'm still in awe how often i miss one or two on first swim through. Once in the ages I tended to miss one on second swim around on brigantine.  

• Like 1

I agree, I think that anything that results in damage or loss of assets should have a headline entry with an expandable details panel that outlines what happened to cause the event. This is especially important in EA when we're expected to report bugs and whatnot. 

• Like 1

You raise a fair point, will flag it up to the team and perhaps it's something we'll be able to do in one of our future patches. There is certainly more logs/info we'd like to add onto the Company Log.

• Like 2