Sign in to follow this  
Whitehawk

Saving ships?

Well I don't know if this is possible but with the fact that the ship build limit is huge and so is the lag with it,and not everyone is able to sail every ship every day,what about giving people the ability to store ships in an inventory? could be an npc dock that charges by the ship,or just a dedicated storage at the base.Is it possible?

It's possible. Perhaps not easily or even achievable in the current state but a system to blueprint (not to be confused with BP's) a ship's design would be doable. Storing them on the other hand would require a lot of additional work and constraints to account for exploitation. A reoccurring trend around here.

Edited by Nari

I just think if it could be done somehow it would remedy an otherwise crazy situation,especially with the new decay timer being lowered on ships. 

Cryo pods for ships. Sounds funny but i would use it. If this ever happened you can be sure that no structures would remain on the ship in this process.

Structure like refit or repair yard, which looks like a modificated shipyard. When your boat comes near you can put it in the yard. Like Dinghyhangars and Submarine.

There could be a option as well, that you "feed" the yard with ressources to upgrade your planks etc.

4 hours ago, seruum said:

Cryo pods for ships. Sounds funny but i would use it. If this ever happened you can be sure that no structures would remain on the ship in this process.

Oh god! As weird as this sounds I would love it. Imagine the ship your are sleeping on is above one of the trenches and got sunk. You log in and you can witness your misery xD
Alive but still buried below the sea 😄

Imagine how much it takes to safe a whole ship with painting and your own building and stuff up there in a ingame cache? 

A Dino with a saddle on May work. But a ship? No way. And then you should always take all the stuff out of the boxes and racks. Or can I store a hole galleon with 6 fullfilled racks in a bottle?

This idea is nice in mind for incrase server issues. But nearly impossible to program it without a huge amount of bugs and wrong working localisation of structures and colors.

well technically we do store a lot of ingame items in inventories,cupboards etc,I was thinking more along that route,look at the size of the shipyard,I store that in a cupboard till I place it.I know your own ship isn't quite the same league but it would have to be done in a similar way,if it is possible.At the end of the day the game has to render all them ships people have anyway,and that causes huge lag on some islands.

Not a bad idea, and it could reduce overhead on the servers as others have said. There might be some technical challenges involved due to the fact that ships are customizable, though. 

The ships info is already stored in a database that has everything on board and the current state such as plank color/health, your rifle and its durability, etc.  Flipping that state in the DB  to be inside a hangar/shipyard of some sort should be easy.  The database should not need a major overhaul to do this.  We just need a new structure (very high HP) to stop griefing/suicide runs from destroying dozens of ships, server side updates to handle the process and clientside updates for animation and control. 

9 hours ago, Forb Hidden said:

Imagine how much it takes to safe a whole ship with painting and your own building and stuff up there in a ingame cache? 

Quickly solutionising: it doens't need to be very responsive, so it could be solved by keeping the actual the ship in the 256th and have different rules applied to server transfer.

Hence it would hardly impact the current code base as most mechanics would remain the same.

As for performance impact ... the grid 256 would be severely impacted if it ever had to render anything, but it never will and the databse redistribution would be impacted at a certain point months? years? away unless too large a number of players uses this storage system at the same time.

Edited by wandelaar

That could work.  I doubt it would need all that much bandwidth/IO/compute and even then if it takes 5-10 seconds to access the db, transfer it to the active grid and send that data to the client it could work. 

For the time being walk on ever ship you own daily ive been doing this for awhile now havent lost any as of yet minus the one i was building for a long time. 

I wish boarding them did always work,however It didn't work for me and I just lost my two best ships,and I only had 4 anyway.2 sloops and 2 schooners.now i'm left with 2 sloops.

So the ability to store them would help a lot,it's not just me who lost ships either.

Edited by Whitehawk