Sign in to follow this  
BigBombz

Are you sure there is enough sharks in the sea?

If I ever -for what ever reasons- decide to leave my ship and take a swim in the ocean, it's very rare that more than five or six sharks instantly spawn around me. They are ridiculously underpowered too - they need two or even three bites at my ass before I'm dead!!
And after I'm dead I sometimes- even when the sharks camp my lootbag, as they should - manage to get my loot with less than ten tries! How's that a challenging and fun gameplay?
Another problem is after killing a SoD ship when I (covardly suited in diving suit) jump into the ocean to recruit new crew members I sometimes manage to move them on to my ship before they get eaten by a shark. Luckily most of the times when I kill a whale that gets eaten by sharks with any possible gold before I get change to overload my ship with gold coins.
So clearly there are not enough sharks in the sea and they are not OP enough! Can we have more, bigger ones, possibly with lasers?

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

You are so right. Underpowered sharks are clearly the downfall of Atlas. I think the addition of lasers is a good first step, but really to correct the imbalance fully, shouldn’t the devs give Sharknado like abilities to hurl themselves onto land and attack our bases? Think about it, sharks are literally powerless when you’re out of the water. I feel like the game would be so much more challenging with flying sharks with lasers hurtling through the air towards my base like harbingers of Dooooooom.

Jat, please make this happen ASAP. It will fix everything wrong with your game overnight.

Promise.

PS. OP please stick around and post more. Love your sense of humor

Edited by boomervoncannon
  • Thanks 1

Careful, people in ARK made jokes about wanting "sharks with freaking laser beams," and they gave us tek...

We made jokes about sharknados, they gave us tek saddles for tapejaras...

The devs are not the only ones that need to learn from past mistakes.

Edited by Kidori
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Kidori said:

Careful, people in ARK made jokes about wanting "sharks with freaking laser beams," and they gave us tek...

Tek was both planned and teased from the beginning. Jokes had nothing to do with it.

Edited by Nari

3 minutes ago, Nari said:

Tek was both planned and teased from the beginning. Jokes had nothing to do with it.

True indeed. But no one was laughing anymore.

I mean, they're already planning on more fantasy stuff, flying ships and whatnot. We may yet get our laser sharks.

Edited by Kidori
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Kidori said:

True indeed. But no one was laughing anymore.

Not sure what you mean by that. Those who payed attention to detail had a fairly good idea of what to expect. Similar to all of the future threads about Magic when Tarot drops.

a tip for you next time you need to get your stuff back out the sea, jump in wearing a diving suit, sharks n mantas ignore you 🙂

• Like 1

On 7/15/2019 at 4:04 PM, BigBombz said:

If I ever -for what ever reasons- decide to leave my ship and take a swim in the ocean, it's very rare that more than five or six sharks instantly spawn around me. They are ridiculously underpowered too - they need two or even three bites at my ass before I'm dead!!
And after I'm dead I sometimes- even when the sharks camp my lootbag, as they should - manage to get my loot with less than ten tries! How's that a challenging and fun gameplay?
Another problem is after killing a SoD ship when I (covardly suited in diving suit) jump into the ocean to recruit new crew members I sometimes manage to move them on to my ship before they get eaten by a shark. Luckily most of the times when I kill a whale that gets eaten by sharks with any possible gold before I get change to overload my ship with gold coins.
So clearly there are not enough sharks in the sea and they are not OP enough! Can we have more, bigger ones, possibly with lasers?

When you're lv 150. With your 300 hps you might find sharks a minor thing.

Try it when you're lv 20.. Try it, without the diving platform, without the dingy.. without a grapple.  Go give it a shot with only 100 health..

Then we'll see who is laughing.

Perhaps sharks should spawn in relation to the level of the player?  So a lv 150 player spawns 4-5 level 150 sharks.. maybe an alpha shark..

Then you'll be crying about alpha sharks ripping up your whales before you can even get your mythical diving suit in the water.. Eating your potential crew before you can even rescue them.

(oic.. it was a joke thread.. i take everything so literally sometimes)

Edited by Martyn

1 hour ago, Martyn said:

When you're lv 150. With your 300 hps you might find sharks a minor thing.

Try it when you're lv 20.. Try it, without the diving platform, without the dingy.. without a grapple.  Go give it a shot with only 100 health..

Then we'll see who is laughing.

Perhaps sharks should spawn in relation to the level of the player?  So a lv 150 player spawns 4-5 level 150 sharks.. maybe an alpha shark..

Then you'll be crying about alpha sharks ripping up your whales before you can even get your mythical diving suit in the water.. Eating your potential crew before you can even rescue them.

The entire thing was tongue in cheek, but you do have a good suggestion. I like the idea of sharks spawning in relation to player level. However do crew draw shark aggro while floating before you rescue them? I’ve never paid close attention but would have thought not.

Dont even get me started on the Shark's..    Under powered by all means.      I find it funny I can beach the Manta Ray's,  but for some odd reason the shark can get a chunk of my ass while I am running on shallow's  before it disengages and returns to the Ocean.

And like the OP said,  Good luck getting your loot bag back, before getting back onto your ship.   I personally love the wave water making the boat ladder go above water so you cant reach them,  then it sinks back down,  you try to Hit "E" to climb up,  only to miss your chance, and bam  Shark got your ass again.

Its fun tho,  Ultimate Revenge was taking the speargun out..   Say hello to my little friend,  you mother.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nari said:

Had to leave for a bit so didn't have the time to elaborate, but

TEK Megalodon Saddle! Do we really need to say anything? Your sharks can now shoot lasers, all our childhood dreams have come true.

From the patch notes when they put it in. Tek might have been planned but think the jokes had at least a little to do with the sharks.

3 hours ago, Dosgimp said:

Its fun tho,  Ultimate Revenge was taking the speargun out..   Say hello to my little friend,  you mother.

I did this.. didn't see the other shark tho..and everyone on discord heard me scream.

3 hours ago, boomervoncannon said:

However do crew draw shark aggro while floating before you rescue them? I’ve never paid close attention but would have thought not.

They don't actually.  Sharks swim around them.. waiting for the player.. they use them as bait.. they only actually attack the crew.. after they drown.  Apparently sharks prefer to eat dead crewmen.. unless.

They're MY crewmen.

Edited by Martyn

Water needs to apply damage over time.

The game design calls for it.

3 hours ago, user1 said:

Hey I sell gutters for a living irl. When you talk about water damaging wood, you are preaching to the choir brotha!

4 hours ago, user1 said:

It kinda does.. your planks wear out over time and continually need to be repaired.  Since our ships don't float in the air yet.. i guess there's no way of guessing if the water does the damage or if planks just wear out over time.

57 minutes ago, Captain Stabbin said:

Oh yeah well when game first released they attacked your ship too!

Try that on for size! 😜

This is true.. infact if you kill a crewman in the lower decks of your ship.. sharks will try to eat their corpse.. I can hear them outside.. swimming around. (Even when I'm in my hut, on top of my mountain in middle of my island)

Edited by Martyn

58 minutes ago, Captain Stabbin said:

Oh yeah well when game first released they attacked your ship too!

Try that on for size! 😜

Water should be radioactive due to the Kraken thus requiring we farm iodine to make pills and they are only located in a trench in a specific part of the Atlas. 

14 minutes ago, DocHolliday said:

Water should be radioactive due to the Kraken thus requiring we farm iodine to make pills and they are only located in a trench in a specific part of the Atlas. 

Nah.. people would just eat poo.. radioactive poisoning would just be treated as another vitamin def.

(yes I can't spell deficiency.. maybe)[yes i see the funny side of the post to]

Edited by Martyn