globytheoldpirate

suggestion Wild Pirate Encampments

I really like the idea of WPE, that is something I was hoping since almost the beginning of the game, awesome it will be added.

Though, I came with an idea :
Make different kind of WPE, make a "company like"

Here is the idea, instead of having everytime the same WPE but with different difficulty/size, make different WPE Company, with each their own skins/flags/constructions type.
Here are some fast exemples :
Blackbeard company : Pirate theme, pirate skins (Cloth and Hide armors), weapon : pistol/saber/throwing knives, special tactics : like to board, use Harpoon, mainly alone at sea, very aggressive.
Royal Navy company : Marine theme, officer skin, weapon : pistol/saber (or special skin ?)/carabin, special tactics : mainly in groups, defensive.
Asian company : Asian theme (japanese ?), Hydra Heavy skin, the new sail skin, weapon : sword (katana skin?)/pike/bow/crossbow/fire arrow, special tactics : like to use fire a lot

(...)

WPE Company would fight eachothers at sea, some kind of special event.
Make the WPE Company live in their own region, so you need/want to travel a lot to discover every of theses WPE Company. All thoses region would become even more unique.

Having to fight the same type of WPE everytime will become veryyyy boring. If their is many WPE Company, it will become unique everytime (I'm not saying that it needs 1 company per island, hell no, but 1 company per region would be very awesome) (edit : By region I mean "Tropics", "Desert", "Tundra").

Let us participate to create/image thoses WPE Company
As we all know, some of Atlas players are very talented to create/imagine, just look at the Show 'N' Tell and see how awesome things emerge from it.
Make a contest like the Show 'N' Tell, where people would give :

• Company name
  • Theme
  • Flag (with image)
  • Construction design exemple (with image)
  • Ship design exemple (with image)
  • Lore/story behind the company
  • For the more talented one, draw all the concept art if it doesn't already exist in the game, and if it's really awesome, implement it in the game with Atlas Team (dunno how hard it could be ?)

The contest would work as a Show 'N' Tell, people send their proposition, and as for Show 'N' Tell, that's the Atlas Team that choose the winners.
(so no troll as "Area 51 with Naruto Runners flags, even if it's funny, that's not the point here. It also let the Atlas Team choose to not break the actual lore of the game or everything)

FURTHER

Make quest through WPE Company
If you completly wipe a WPE Company, you win something (dunno what, it could be a skin ? a skill ? else ?).
All WPE Company have one main base with their captain (a mini-boss ?)
Each outpost you destroy/claim, the more the main base become vulnerable ?
Be able to interact with company ? Buy things ?

Edited by globytheoldpirate
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Actually I would be more happy if they would make something between quarter of WPE to be non-hostile with some "player like" shops.

1 hour ago, Elrood said:

Actually I would be more happy if they would make something between quarter of WPE to be non-hostile with some "player like" shops.

You mean the ->

Be able to interact with company ? Buy things ?

🤔

I mean only that 🙂 

Sure would be nice to have all you listed. But for me most of it would be just cherry on top of the cake. 
Trading would be icing of the cake already and add a lot more immersion. 
And WPE are the cake itself already. 😉 

If it would come up to the question of work required vs profit - just adding random non hostile trading factories would be biggest boost for me 😄 

1 hour ago, Elrood said:

I mean only that 🙂 

Sure would be nice to have all you listed. But for me most of it would be just cherry on top of the cake. 
Trading would be icing of the cake already and add a lot more immersion. 
And WPE are the cake itself already. 😉 

If it would come up to the question of work required vs profit - just adding random non hostile trading factories would be biggest boost for me 😄 

imo the trading part is just a bonus
If we always see the same encounters it will become redundant very quickly, as for the SOTD now ^^'

If only one WPE sell one type of commodities, you will see one, buy what you want or when you need and that's all.
If there is many different WPE, which each sell different commodity, and live in their own region, you'll want to travel, find them and everything ^^

I was happy about this also, I said weeks ago something similar should be in the game, they must have read my mind or posts :classic_laugh:

I wanted something where npc attack your base, maybe they come in by sea, ships head towards your base, you have towers near the shore for defences and they start launching the attack. The npc or pirates get off thier ships when near land and start coming towards your base trying to destroy it.

People might say well this is just PvP go and play that but single player is about you just experiencing the game alone, I think something like this should be added. I've seen the mods that give tameable pirates but that doesn't work as intended yet.

The encampments is a step in the right direction at least, you can go out and attack them but I still think it would have been nice if every so often they come and seek you out also. 

11 minutes ago, DannyUK said:

I was happy about this also, I said weeks ago something similar should be in the game, they must have read my mind or posts :classic_laugh:

I wanted something where npc attack your base, maybe they come in by sea, ships head towards your base, you have towers near the shore for defences and they start launching the attack. The npc or pirates get off thier ships when near land and start coming towards your base trying to destroy it.

People might say well this is just PvP go and play that but single player is about you just experiencing the game alone, I think something like this should be added. I've seen the mods that give tameable pirates but that doesn't work as intended yet.

The encampments is a step in the right direction at least, you can go out and attack them but I still think it would have been nice if every so often they come and seek you out also. 

It would be cheap man pvp, true. But it will not be offline raiding! That means worst part of current PvP would be gone good, leaving fun part in (toggable for those who just want to build). I'm all for it. But truth be told, for now I'm happy with devs adding any kind of WPE at all 😄

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, DannyUK said:

That may looks like PvP, but there is definitively something more here... oh yeah.. the no cheat/grief/unfair/offline raid part :')

I agree that it would be very awesome. Having to defend is almost always fun (when intended).
But, I think it will be hard to implement, they will need to upgrade their IA, so they know how to get in the shore, etc..

A compromise might be a system like in Extinction ?
We have a beacon ( a ship ? a box/treasure ?) and we have to defend it through waves.
The better we survive, better the loot is.
We'll loose the base defend part, but we'll still have a fun looks like part in conterpart, which need less dev time (I think, I may be wrong)

• Like 1

I think if these features come in will be later down the line, I just don't see it happening in the short term.

I'm liking all the ideas you have though, I hope the devs look at this and take them on-board, the game might start getting to where it should be if so. I have to say I like the single player mode though, especially when you can use mods for it.

I don't think PvE is getting this new encampment though, bit of a downside for PvE right now, maybe that will come in a few months down the line. 

As much as I dislike the new nuke option for landowners, I like the addition of WPE. OP has some great suggestions for expanding/ fleshing out this concept right off the bat. I suspect one of the reasons they are delaying release onto officials is to see how things go initially before tackling the issue of how to make them more than a one time phenomena that winds up gone from the game completely once all claimable islands are claimed.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, DannyUK said:

I think if these features come in will be later down the line, I just don't see it happening in the short term.

I'm liking all the ideas you have though, I hope the devs look at this and take them on-board, the game might start getting to where it should be if so. I have to say I like the single player mode though, especially when you can use mods for it.

I don't think PvE is getting this new encampment though, bit of a downside for PvE right now, maybe that will come in a few months down the line. 

From my point of view it will be very hard to implement this WPE on a pre-existant server, but I have no real vision of it, so might be wrong ^^

Maybe they did everything we're saying ? We have really few info for now :')
I just hope WPE won't be a simple SOTD like 😕
Hope there will be different faction.
Hope we will be able to board them and claim their ship.

4 minutes ago, globytheoldpirate said:

From my point of view it will be very hard to implement this WPE on a pre-existant server, but I have no real vision of it, so might be wrong ^^

Maybe they did everything we're saying ? We have really few info for now :')
I just hope WPE won't be a simple SOTD like 😕
Hope there will be different faction.
Hope we will be able to board them and claim their ship.

Maybe if the encampment can spawn on occupied islands but only spawns a large distance from any structures.

(pillar/foundation spam might prevent this on some islands - that'd be working as intended then)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jack Shandy said:

Maybe if the encampment can spawn on occupied islands but only spawns a large distance from any structures.

(pillar/foundation spam might prevent this on some islands - that'd be working as intended then)

Yup, on the Captain log they said 

• Encampments will only spawn (and can respawn) on unsettled islands when no players/tames/structures are nearby at all, over a long period of time. 

The "on unsettled islands" scare me a bit, as on PvE, almost every islands are claimed.

But they will find alternative or solution I'm sure. As BOOMERVONCANNON said, that's maybe why it comes after on official, so they can handle all of this ^^

Talk with other peoples, and reread the Captain Log and saw this :

Encampments will only spawn (and can respawn) on unsettled islands when no players/tames/structures are nearby at all, over a long period of time. 

That was just under the Unofficial Dedicated Server mention, so Unofficial Dedicated Server and Official may won't have some kind of one time event, but have some random respawn of thooses WPE. While on Solo it will be one time event, and you'll need/want to kill all of these scallywags one and for all.

It's just assomption, but a one time event on official kinda seems weird, as few of them will actually spawn, and kinda sad if new players won't be able to meet them at all if older players rekted them all.

16 hours ago, DannyUK said:

As this is being trialled in single player and the new small multiplayer then yes, pve will experience it.

28 minutes ago, AntonyVW said:

As this is being trialled in single player and the new small multiplayer then yes, pve will experience it.

Sure? Since when do u work in the dev company? Or can u confirm that with a official answer?

Could make the ai attack pillers etc.. thereby removing spam.. log in one day to find ai wandering around your house..

Could be cool.  Anything that improves gameplay is welcome.

6 hours ago, Forb Hidden said:

Sure? Since when do u work in the dev company? Or can u confirm that with a official answer?

From log #34:

We’re excited to reveal to you a new system we’ve been working on, which will be released for Single Player, Non-Dedicated Multiplayer (more on that later!), Unofficial Dedicated Servers (optional), and potentially expanded onto the Official Networks in the future. 

2 hours ago, AntonyVW said:

From log #34:

We’re excited to reveal to you a new system we’ve been working on, which will be released for Single Player, Non-Dedicated Multiplayer (more on that later!), Unofficial Dedicated Servers (optional), and potentially expanded onto the Official Networks in the future. 

Would be weird if they never put the WPE on official, especially after all the hint in the captain log
Though, we can't be 100% sure ^^

12 minutes ago, globytheoldpirate said:

Would be weird if they never put the WPE on official, especially after all the hint in the captain log
Though, we can't be 100% sure ^^

That would def be weird.