Sign in to follow this  
Senkoau

Any advice on surviving a heatwave?

I'm still starting out in my single player game and I just died 6 times to a heatwave as my common clothes don't work, being indoors doesn't work, being in the water doesn't work, having 40 fortitude doesn't work and I can't tame a parrot yet. This is a severely overpowered mechanic considering it just killed me more times than everything else on my island combined and I'm just wondering am I missing something or if it happens is all you can do is get somewhere safe to retrive the bodies?

On a semi-related note harvesting said corpses gave me enough skin for my ship and a level.

Yeh it's ridiculous,the only way I have found round it is either load points in the skill tree when you level up,or if you don't want to wait,use the adjusting single player sliders.

1 minute ago, Pete Rottedtoof said:

In Kentucky we stick ice cubes in our pockets, drink plenty of fluids.

Don't lie, you don't have pockets in Kentucky. Woven cloth is still several generations away.

*ducks from over in North Cackalacky and goes back to his cotton gin*

• Haha 2

sailing  out to sea usually helps lower temp during a heat wave, if its bad and i dont want to sail i usually just log off for 10  to 15 minutes to wait it out.

of course you can also use an icebox too now, just turn it on stand near it until heat wave is over, but tbh logging off or standing near ice box is about the same, just easier to log off.... you can go do important stuff like take a shit, instead of just waiting at your keyboard 😄

Edited by Remo

12 hours ago, Senkoau said:

I'm still starting out in my single player game and I just died 6 times to a heatwave as my common clothes don't work, being indoors doesn't work, being in the water doesn't work, having 40 fortitude doesn't work and I can't tame a parrot yet. This is a severely overpowered mechanic considering it just killed me more times than everything else on my island combined and I'm just wondering am I missing something or if it happens is all you can do is get somewhere safe to retrive the bodies?

On a semi-related note harvesting said corpses gave me enough skin for my ship and a level.

Dunno about sp.. but on officials.. having 90 fortitude doesn't help you in heatwaves.. infact now, jumping into the water doesn't either.. you don't even get cooler.

Only thing I've found that does help.. is the icebox.  Activated. 

So nothing for a starting player only more established ones . . . somehow I'm not surprised. Thanks for the reply.

9 minutes ago, Senkoau said:

So nothing for a starting player only more established ones . . . somehow I'm not surprised. Thanks for the reply.

Yeah the reality is that the heatwaves aren't so severe in the more moderate biomes that a starting player without the advantages mentioned here can't survive them. IMO this mechanic is meant to strongly discourage players from starting in the most extreme polar and desert biomes unless they are willing to deal with the consequences.  I've always just started in other biomes and then moved to those areas once I had acquired the capabilities to cope with them. As always ymmv.

I started in M7, sailed to N7 so tropics I think and died multiple times to the heatwaves while building a new ship for explration.

3 minutes ago, Senkoau said:

I started in M7, sailed to N7 so tropics I think and died multiple times to the heatwaves while building a new ship for explration.

I think the medkit suggestion was the most definitive solution, but the problem with that is you need seeds for each medkit, so early on it's a limited option. Try taming a parrot if you're really determined to build that boat in that biome. My friend and I started in L5, live in K6, and can handle those heatwaves just fine with fort around 40, so maybe they are just weirdly severe in that grid, I dunno.

• Like 1

It'd help if the starting info gave grids rather than just a random string of numbers I had no idea where I was starting.

23 minutes ago, Senkoau said:

It'd help if the starting info gave grids rather than just a random string of numbers I had no idea where I was starting.

Yeah that would be helpful wouldn't it?

So true, seeing "Server M7" I could look at the map and go "Oh its there" but "Island 820" doesn't really help.

Edited by Senkoau

I have never died to a heatwave on official.  While you take damage, even the worst heatwaves aren't enough to kill you, alone.

I've never taken fortitude. I just put on clothes and maybe drop in water etc.

Water does help, it doesnt lower temp it gives you hyper resist.  Hyper resist is ultimately what you need.

1 hour ago, Senkoau said:

They're all for M7 so it wouldn't help much.

If they'd just made the SP starting Freeport L5 instead of M7, things would be so much easier for those starting out.

funny thing was when i started out i was on a dessert isle and always died of cold like -100°C

Strangely enough, I’ve recently dabbled in single player, and I’m on the same island, and I have the same fortitude as on official. The heatwaves seem more severe! Had one 56 degrees C and it wiped me out twice in minutes.

11 hours ago, Archsenex said:

I have never died to a heatwave on official.  While you take damage, even the worst heatwaves aren't enough to kill you, alone.

While not true for you it is a common experience, the problem is the game will reach 144F in starting tropical freeports which will kill you in the ocean in cloth in 10-15 IRL minutes.  This exceeds the hottest recorded temperatures on Earth in the worst deserts. 

This is just bugged because the formulas for calculating the temperature are so convoluted with all the variable interaction that the devs themselves have no idea how to realistically bound them.  I saw Jat acknowledge the problem months ago - and nothing since.

Normally heat waves are not enough to even damage you, they are really just intended to make you thirsty.

This is using the official map -  offline, online and singleplayer.  

Edited by krazmuze
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Archsenex said:

I've never taken fortitude. I just put on clothes and maybe drop in water etc.

Water does help, it doesnt lower temp it gives you hyper resist.  Hyper resist is ultimately what you need.

Haven't played for awhile then eh?

Naked, cloth, hide..fort... skilled stats.  Nothing helps.  At 46dgc or 115dgf you get cooked.  Unless you log out, use a freezer or go diving..

Diving is actually a nice suggestion.. that'll save me on icecubes.

The worst part of it for me, is the blinding sunlight..

If you have no fort.. and no skilled fort.. you're either lying or haven't played for ages.. as I watch people drop dead 4-5 times everytime it heatwaves in n8 or i8.  And they have 40 odd fort..and still get cooked.  I have 60 default 90 with balance and still take 50% damage. I also have mw hide armour and all the fortitude stats.. which don't seem to help.  Nor does my mw cloth.  It's either ice.. or swim/drowning. Dodging sharks..

And the arctic is just as bad, but in reverse. Again tho, high fort and mw fur.. really helps.  Unless you fall in the water.  Then you get to see how fast your food can really drop.

As krazmuze says tho, it does feel like heat waves are broken/bugged and should just affect your thirst.. but atm.. they remind me of the burning sands of the ark expansion.. god the number of times I died before I realised what the tent was for..

We need those tents in atlas.. I'd have one pitched on my deck.

Edited by Martyn

Hide would be a terrible idea,  it has negative hyperthermic.  It makes heat worse.  Only armor that helps is cloth,  and cloth is better than naked. 

Our elephant breeding area hits 51 sometimes during heat waves.  Yes,  unrealistic,  and I have to get out of the torch room but otherwise it has not been lethal 

I managed to miss the medkit stuff every time I looked at this thread. Oh well I think I know what I'm skilling into next thanks.

I too would like something to combat the heatwaves like a housing buff, tent or lower fort requierment.