Sign in to follow this  
Martyn

Worth it?

Would you collect this map?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Collect Gold or Throw Map away?

• Collect
    • Throw

Partner,   I've been posting the same frustrations over the whole week.   Treasure maps that you cant get to..   mmm so fun

Read the post = Treasure Map, Frustration 

Edited by Dosgimp

1 hour ago, Martyn said:

If you view the difficulty as getting to the location, that's a pretty straightforward issue of getting comfortable with climbing picks and grappling hooks. If you are talking about the potential difficulty of defeating the spawn without a bear that you can't get up there, or because you don't have proficiency with firearms, then yeah, that's pretty tough.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dosgimp said:

Partner,   I've been posting the same frustrations over the whole week.   Treasure maps that you cant get to..   mmm so fun

Read the post = Treasure Map, Frustration 

Looks perfectly doable, just cuz you cant I guess...

6 hours ago, boomervoncannon said:

or because you don't have proficiency with firearms,

Have they reverted the change that AoD can only be hurt by melee or tames?

4 minutes ago, wandelaar said:

Have they reverted the change that AoD can only be hurt by melee or tames?

They can be hurt by melee, tames and firearms, just not bows and crossbows.

throw... reason = you waste a lot of time if warriors glitch into the mountain or fall down and you can not use tames to speed it up...

1 hour ago, boomervoncannon said:

They can be hurt by melee, tames and firearms, just not bows and crossbows.

I could have sworn our test last week proved firearms, crossbow and grenades all useless now. And yes I am aware the patch note says <quote src="207.996"> AoD are now immune to anything except gun (non-puckle), melee damage and tame damage.</quote>

Perhaps more on topic, Martyn, we throw some maps away because the gain is not worth the effort. It is part of the mechanic. Doing stuff on peaks has always been tedious and now that most helper ramps have dissappered you would have to spend quite a lot of time rebuilding a ramp.
With the gray or greem maps it is a quick decision. With the higher level treasure it takes some consideration.
But honestly,  I can't handle blue without my bear or a decent tactic. And both assume the terrain is suitable. So I have thrown blue and lila away as well. For the boosted ones or the even higher ones we used to team up, or wait up for each other,  but then most of the time the wind failed us or babies were happening or ... it rarely works out.
Still, in PvE you need to keep doing them for the XP

Edited by wandelaar

A jm carbine does 17 damage to aod.. and common carbine does.. 17 damage to aod..

The same weapons do 255 damage to crocs.

Nerfed isn't the word I'd use.  The weapons are completely, useless.

A waste of code.

And yes, people have done maps on top of the skull, in fact the island owners placed gunmounts around it, to do maps there because it is a fairly common spot.. but getting up there, is whilst not hard.. abit tedious.. and I wouldn't even climb that for 2k gold.. I'd just throw the map away and go find an easier map location, even one that is in E15.. is better than that one on top of the skull.

Btw that island has 3 discoveries.. one of which was in the skill opposite.. and higher up than the one I pictured.  Which I did climb for..

I'd climb almost anywhere for a discovery pt.. or two.. but not for gold.  Or xp.

And you only need the xp.. if you have enough discovery pts to make use of it.  But you need gold all the time. 

Discovery xp boosts... map xp.. all largely useless. 

Edited by Martyn

4 hours ago, wandelaar said:

I could have sworn our test last week proved firearms, crossbow and grenades all useless now. And yes I am aware the patch note says <quote src="207.996"> AoD are now immune to anything except gun (non-puckle), melee damage and tame damage.</quote>

Thanks for the heads up on this. I don't use firearms but my friend does. She never reads forums or patch notes so she may not have noticed her gun isn't doing squat for damage all of a sudden if this is the case.  Next time we do a map I'll have her pay close attention but it sounds like based on what Martyn is saying the guns are nerfed when they shouldn't be. Wonderful.

The funny thing about this map.. turns out there was a ramp up from the ground on other side of skull.. that I could get an elephant to climb.. so I threw the map away for no reason.

• Haha 1

Always check for ramps.

So far for us it's been about 50 / 50 if there is a ramp. I think island owners are putting ramps in to get more out of gold taxes. (A positive reason for taxes, who'd have though it.) 

On 7/14/2019 at 11:04 AM, wandelaar said:

babies were happening

THIS so much, the other boss is the shovel for the first map of a day 🤣

10 hours ago, Jack Shandy said:

Always check for ramps.

So far for us it's been about 50 / 50 if there is a ramp. I think island owners are putting ramps in to get more out of gold taxes. (A positive reason for taxes, who'd have though it.) 

There are no taxes.  It's just a 20% bonus to all settlement owners.

1 minute ago, Martyn said:

There are no taxes.  It's just a 20% bonus to all settlement owners.

You still don't realise that claimed island taxes DO tax gold?????? How many times do people have to tell you this? It is only additive for resources NOT gold.

Man you play 16 hours a day 6 days a week and you hardly know anything about this game.

I sailed yesterday to do two mastercraft maps to A14. Like 20 grids away. I had a route of 8 maps on lawless before reaching A14. I did 2 fine of the 8 maps. 3 of the maps were in cliffs and throwed them. Another one was over a base with puckles. One of the maps was over stone foundations, couldn't use a shovel over freaking foundations. My favorite map was one that was in a cliff base, I somehow made it, jumping with a tiger to the area, I got stuck between structures and AoD., couldn't move and the tiger with the maps of A14 was killed. Couldn't recover the maps, because AoD don't despawn when the map holder die or no one is doing that map. It was a blue map and I only had an option. Throwing myself in a hole full of lvl 50+ AoD and trying to kill them with the sword, circular blade didn't help me in this one. I had to go back 8 grids to my base. And still don't know if the 2 mastercraft maps i got had structures or were on a freaking mountain. I lost 4 hours to do 2 fine maps of 800. What a waste of time. I will rather do 40 shitmaps in close islands, but there is no other way to get exp past lvl 80 faster than maps.

Not to mention that I expend from Monday to Friday collecting maps. all my week to collect over 500 maps. With a 50% of maps over 14 quality dissapear when you collected and still got 2 maps mastercraft, and throwed other 300 because were useless maps of low gold and exp.

Edited by Emanuel a

Crab. I've honestly become impressed by the Crab and it's ability to destroy AoD spawns, plus it's an amazing climber/jumper. Another bonus, most (all?) aggressive animals straight up ignore you and the crab. As long as you have some stamina left, you can also jump quite a ways out of immediate danger. Weight can be an issue, have to keep an eye on that.

My mediocre tamed crab of ~600hp, ~700 stamina, 119% damage had no issues farming the AoD packs on a power stone island, including level 150 AoD that spawn in those. Definitely ran into some issues with too many packs closely spawning (stamina issues).

Will look into buying some crabs, since I don't have a submarine.. since I keep falling asleep doing powerstone missions.

Actually, thinking I might just stop at 71.. maybe go play something else.  Come back in the winter see if anything is improved.  My character will have been deleted by then..

Edited by Martyn