Kappinski

suggestion About Settlements & Get rid of companies

Let's forget companies for a moment and talk about settlements.

I have a crazy idea and I can't wait to hear from all of you how bad and stupid it is ❤️😄

First the Simple explanation
Companies can only have 1 Island which merges Company and Settlement into one and the same thing.
Players can join multiple Settlements.

Second the complicated version
1. Get rid of Companies (just hear me out)
2. Implement Crew  (explained below)
3. Expand on the Settlement mechanic so that Settlements become a substitute for companies

Crew

A crew is just a casual party of players who meet and want to play together for some time and do stuff. This group is absolutely temporary.
The limit should be about 5 - 10 people. The leader of the Crew is the captain. And if the Captain owns a ship the crew can use sails and stuff.
Maybe different settings for chests but ... details. Or maybe it is bound to a ship like the settlement is bound to an island.

Raid Group

Just a group of crews. This is also temporary just for raids like the kraken or a fight.

Settlement

The settlement works at least as we know it right now. You claim an island and all that stuff. That's why we need the Crew as a small substitute for the company because it would be difficult to play with other people.
The Settlement owner can allow single players, or a whole crew, to become a permanent settler on the island. From here the whole thing could work as a company but it is bound to the Island itself. Players are not limited to a single settlement/island. They can become a settler on several islands. Maybe without limit. There are different ranks for Settlers and with that different things they can do. Building houses, building cannons, etc.
The Settlement owner can set basic laws and of course taxes on farming and trading in player shops. (Or for docking your ship?)

Alliance

An alliance is formed between two settlement owners. Each settlement has the alliance rank and it applies to every settlement member of the allied Settlement.

So why this change and where are companies?
Companies are gone in this idea. This applies to players on islands. There are no companies on the open sea. Just temporary crews and maybe bigger raid fleets. The ocean is lawless. You are just you and your crew and your ship. If you set foot on an island. The options you have are determined by your relationship to the settlement.

The thing I see here and that is the main point where I hope we can solve some issues with the game, is that right now people identify too much with an abstract name or company. If they identify with a settlement, at least in my fantasy, we could get a more open world. More cooperation (even on PvP). More trade. More piracy. I don't know. I think this sounds wonderful.

Edited by Kappinski

I have all that right now with the current System too. We own an Island,we have settlers And a core group Doing Kraken And ICE Cave with our allys And settlers. We have tradepartners And allied settlements which we can use as outposts if we do powerstones And stuff. I understand your idea And it would help People socialize i guess.

So you'd need what 5 crews.. to crew a galleon..

There's companies with hundreds of people in them.. now you're saying they can only be limited to groups of 10?

No..

8 hours ago, Martyn said:

So you'd need what 5 crews.. to crew a galleon..

There's companies with hundreds of people in them.. now you're saying they can only be limited to groups of 10?

No..

The idea is far from perfect but you would need a raid party of several crews to for a galleon, yes.

Companies are not limited to groups of ten. These crews are temporary. You meet people or you are doing treasure maps with other people you make a crew for that. And if the task is done you can leave the group.

What I propose is that companies are limited to a single island. And that you can become a member of this settlement. Players can become a member of more than one settlement. So the game would (hopefully) evolve more around islands and settlements, maybe cities and not around companies.

It is indeed as @zottel said an idea for another environment. Where players would socialize and engage in a different way than they are doing right now.

I would love to so Sea Battles completly Without NPC Crew. That would actually make a galleon even more Strong but at the Same Time also Hard to get enough Players to Board One. 

I'd like to see companys broken down into squads, sections etc.. But the "company" is everyone, it just wouldn't work with crews of 10, ie pugs.. noone likes being in a pug..

Companies are for dependable people, you trust.. well usually, I'm finding americans don't do trust very well like the rest of us, but, back to pugs. pugs people go afk, they go for lunch without warning etc.. it's no good, you need to be able to depend on people for teamwork.

Edited by Martyn

4 hours ago, zottel said:

I would love to so Sea Battles completly Without NPC Crew. That would actually make a galleon even more Strong but at the Same Time also Hard to get enough Players to Board One. 

Not to mention have you ever tried firing a cannon on a moving ship? Aiming it alone is a nightmare.. the npc crews make the ship strong.. players are good for turning sails making repairs etc.. selecting targets.. but not for shooting cannons.  Hell with the medium cannons you can't even see the target properly. Let alone range it.

Edited by Martyn

10 hours ago, zottel said:

I remember back in the days I started with Atlas. The game wasn't even released for a month I played in a 100 man company (most of them streamer fanboys).

We had no idea about NPC's. We knew they exist but we thought it would be impossible to use them on ships because it would be too strong 😄
We always moved out on a Schooner with at least 6 - 10 people it was so much fun checking sails, shooting cannons and stuff.
It is another topic for itself but I would say NPC's kill the fun on ships. I would say they should add 2 to the crew limit instead of 1 BUT this is another topic 😄

Edited by Kappinski

Disagree.

this would totally isolate players and the familiar aspect of a company would disappear. 

With the entire system u can easily team up with your allies or random players to kill bosses and do the dungeon.

So why should it be helpful to change a running system?