Jump to content

📢Silos non functioning on lawless servers Read more... ×
Darkweaver

Devs; why do you keep rolling over the small company & solo player?

Recommended Posts

35 minutes ago, [GP] Guybrush Threepwood said:

This makes me laugh.

In the recent Captain's Log they said:

Then they pretty much ended it with...... "to show our gratitude for your support we are giving PvE players nukes to wipe out islands. 👍

Yeah that is a lie, they haven’t jumped considerably. Throughout the 6 months they have actually gone from 35% to 67% but that was a long and slow process. There was no considerable jump. I keep an eye on those as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

are you all rly so many ppl that play solo in an mmo game?

do you all even understand the reasons for the change?

in pvp it is to clean an island because you can not clean up a bigger island by yourself

for pve it is because some scrubs took islands and pillared them without paying the flag for an island, and if you have claimed an island you could do shit because of the pillar spam.

 

and now there is a solution for that all. and this is the last resort solution for the players wich is not a bad thing (you don't have to use it, and it will only get used if it is neccessary)

 

keep your mouth shut if you don't have any clue

obviously some of you all only think for themselves and not for the game how it can work in a full released game, this is still Early Access, and like the devs said they have pull it back if it is shit.

 

so let us play and test it out! (if you are one of the "victims" think about that: it's an mmo sort of game and maybe you are the guy who took unclaimed islands and pillard it)

and if you find something gamebreaking i am sure the devs love to hear it.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, photek said:

are you all rly so many ppl that play solo in an mmo game?

do you all even understand the reasons for the change?

in pvp it is to clean an island because you can not clean up a bigger island by yourself

for pve it is because some scrubs took islands and pillared them without paying the flag for an island, and if you have claimed an island you could do shit because of the pillar spam.

 

and now there is a solution for that all. and this is the last resort solution for the players wich is not a bad thing (you don't have to use it, and it will only get used if it is neccessary)

 

keep your mouth shut if you don't have any clue

obviously some of you all only think for themselves and not for the game how it can work in a full released game, this is still Early Access, and like the devs said they have pull it back if it is shit.

 

so let us play and test it out! (if you are one of the "victims" think about that: it's an mmo sort of game and maybe you are the guy who took unclaimed islands and pillard it)

and if you find something gamebreaking i am sure the devs love to hear it.

We have thought about it. You are talking about the need to deal with pillar spam, which we both agree is a problem. The solution is not to hand any player with the means to purchase an island the ability to nuke the island clean. For someone implying that those with differing views are clueless, if you can’t see the enormous and guaranteed griefing potential this mechanic holds for a game mode where players are not supposed to be able to damage each other, then you need look no further than a mirror to find cluelessness.

Some things are so obviously a bad idea when one draws from past experience of gaming and gamers that testing is not required. Forgive me for not wanting to put my entire current base at risk so that the devs can test whether gravity still makes things fall.

Spoiler alert: it does.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah we all know that structure spam is a problem and it needs tackling.

But giving landowners a nuke that will obliterate an entire island, which may I point out the majority will be structures of innocent active players is ludicrous to put it lightly.

People say it will be used as a last resort by those that intend on not abusing it, well that's fine to say, however, the structure spam will continue to grow, which means people will eventually be forced into the last resort because there is NO other option.

If the Devs had told us 4 months ago that land owners will be able to nuke entire islands then I wouldn't have bothered settling on an unclaimed island, I would have stuck with Lawless.

It seems the Devs have no interest in encouraging players to settle on islands, even though in their stream they were very encouraging of the mechanic. All they have done since is make claimed islands just as beneficial as lawless and have now made lawless much more beneficial.

It's funny because I told Dollie that there is no incentive for people to move from Lawless to claimed islands, even with the tax becoming additive it still didn't really add any incentive. Now they make it a million times worse. I just can't make head nor tail of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Winter Thorne said:

It's good to see you posting again.  

Thanks, I'm glad to see at least a few of the originals have stuck around. I took a few months off after the wipe, in the hopes that the devs would make some of the positive changes that people were asking for, then decided to play for a month before coming back to the forums to get a fresh perspective on things.

Unfortunately, it looks like its still SSDD with most of the most requested changes, and most glaring bugs going unanswered, while the players get changes that only a couple people asked for shoved down their throats. (I must have missed the posts complaining that AoD shouldn't be killable by anything other than tames/melee/handheld firearms, too.)

I'm still confused by the people defending this as 'cleaning up the island'. Yeah, pillars/foundation spam sucks, but thats not what the people who are complaining are complaining about - its the fact that unless you own the island - and there are a lot of 'casual' players who don't want the hassle of doing constant gold runs with their limited play time to pay for a whole island - your active buildings can get nuked for any, or no reason, if the island you've been on for 3 months gets claimed, or changes ownership for any reason.

We're pissed that the EXACT problem we're facing was mentioned dozens, if not hundreds of times when they revealed the post wipe plans, and the concerns were shot down - landlords will keep it clean, they said...hell, they claimed they were hiring some in-game CSRs to help with extreme cases...and when people said they would still rather build in lawless, the devs pushed everyone off of lawless with the talk of accelerated structure decay there and promises that once the 24hrs was up on someone elses land, your structures would be safe.  Now that people have 3 months worth of building done, it has turned into 'just kidding...nukes incoming,

 

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Isn't the goal to give feedback and try to get it right the first time? If someone and in this case many see the flaws to try and figure something else out regardless if it will happen or not? If can happen and it is a flaw it should be addressed right or wrong? I don't maybe it is me.

I been reading every post here for a day or 2. I agree this is a bad thing for pve. I think it is also a good thing but needs something more to it. 48 hours isn't that long of time for the casual players. What harm is it to give 10 days on it? Also on top of that would it be that hard to put something in the game to add to it such as those that are active in those 10 days can some how put in the cookie jar that I'm active and live here so after the 10 days when the island does wipe anything you or the company you are with built is safe anything else is gone. 

Something like that idk. Sorry for the run on sentence I'm at work and on phone and in a hurry so apologies lol.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, crazywildfire said:

Isn't the goal to give feedback and try to get it right the first time? If someone and in this case many see the flaws to try and figure something else out regardless if it will happen or not? If can happen and it is a flaw it should be addressed right or wrong? I don't maybe it is me.

I been reading every post here for a day or 2. I agree this is a bad thing for pve. I think it is also a good thing but needs something more to it. 48 hours isn't that long of time for the casual players. What harm is it to give 10 days on it? Also on top of that would it be that hard to put something in the game to add to it such as those that are active in those 10 days can some how put in the cookie jar that I'm active and live here so after the 10 days when the island does wipe anything you or the company you are with built is safe anything else is gone. 

Something like that idk. Sorry for the run on sentence I'm at work and on phone and in a hurry so apologies lol.

The issue here is the NUKE is designed to wipe "active" spam. Any inactive spam is automatically wiped after 10 days because the owners have gone inactive. So having a "cookie jar" wouldn't really work because anyone active can pay into it to keep their spam safe.

As for the 48 hours, that is not an issue, I mean if a new landowner can't wipe the island for 48 hours after taking it then that is no different from waiting 10 days after taking it, because the end result is still a nuke going off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, photek said:

are you all rly so many ppl that play solo in an mmo game?

do you all even understand the reasons for the change?

in pvp it is to clean an island because you can not clean up a bigger island by yourself

for pve it is because some scrubs took islands and pillared them without paying the flag for an island, and if you have claimed an island you could do shit because of the pillar spam.

 

and now there is a solution for that all. and this is the last resort solution for the players wich is not a bad thing (you don't have to use it, and it will only get used if it is neccessary)

 

keep your mouth shut if you don't have any clue

obviously some of you all only think for themselves and not for the game how it can work in a full released game, this is still Early Access, and like the devs said they have pull it back if it is shit.

 

so let us play and test it out! (if you are one of the "victims" think about that: it's an mmo sort of game and maybe you are the guy who took unclaimed islands and pillard it)

and if you find something gamebreaking i am sure the devs love to hear it.

That just promotes laziness for pvp. You can actually destroy structures in pvp so all you need to do is destroy it. Anything else is just laziness 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, [GP] Guybrush Threepwood said:

The issue here is the NUKE is designed to wipe "active" spam. Any inactive spam is automatically wiped after 10 days because the owners have gone inactive. So having a "cookie jar" wouldn't really work because anyone active can pay into it to keep their spam safe.

As for the 48 hours, that is not an issue, I mean if a new landowner can't wipe the island for 48 hours after taking it then that is no different from waiting 10 days after taking it, because the end result is still a nuke going off.

I get that. Maybe I need to read more into what I wrote to make sure I said the way I was thinking it right. Maybe I just didn't think to much of it either way  will do that when I get off work lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, crazywildfire said:

Isn't the goal to give feedback and try to get it right the first time? If someone and in this case many see the flaws to try and figure something else out regardless if it will happen or not? If can happen and it is a flaw it should be addressed right or wrong? I don't maybe it is me.

I been reading every post here for a day or 2. I agree this is a bad thing for pve. I think it is also a good thing but needs something more to it. 48 hours isn't that long of time for the casual players. What harm is it to give 10 days on it? Also on top of that would it be that hard to put something in the game to add to it such as those that are active in those 10 days can some how put in the cookie jar that I'm active and live here so after the 10 days when the island does wipe anything you or the company you are with built is safe anything else is gone. 

Something like that idk. Sorry for the run on sentence I'm at work and on phone and in a hurry so apologies lol.

You might have the start of something here.

i'll build on it if i may. (From a PVE perspective only)

Your company is automaticaly put into the cookie jar, if you are active & have 10 or less unconnected structures. (would need some way to count that and let companies know their current unconnected structures per island)

Most builds i've seen are mostly connected, (10 is a number guessed at) and should cover most base builds. It's also going to be hard spamming with 10 or less unconnected structures.

Other stuctures are covered by structure decay ie inactive players, abandoned taming pens, access ramps etc.

something like this would free it up from being only a one time thing on claming an island, but available to island owners at any time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, [GP] Guybrush Threepwood said:

The issue here is the NUKE is designed to wipe "active" spam. Any inactive spam is automatically wiped after 10 days because the owners have gone inactive.

Don't forget the new 12-hour decay on unsnapped structures. I've seen a number of foundation-spammed islands suddenly cleared up because of this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Kummba said:

bitch

Got issues much?

I left Eu, because I like Americans. And because there's a lower pop. And because the game was more updated.. and less exploitable.  On the NA servers.  Because they were the last online.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
Just now, Martyn said:

Got issues much?

I left Eu, because I like Americans.

I think you are the one with issues, you sound like Trump right now.

Edited by [GP] Guybrush Threepwood

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Kidori said:

Don't forget the new 12-hour decay on unsnapped structures. I've seen a number of foundation-spammed islands suddenly cleared up because of this.

The spam is not removed automatically.

In fact, the settlement system, protects the spam and keeps it active.

Similarly, stasis on lawless islands noone visits.. keeps everything buggy, broken and protected.. thus, items have been there for 2 months.. noones ever been online to use them or render near them.  Still there..

Player shipwrecks.. still there..

Almost Everything they promised.. almost everything discussed in this forum.. all lies.. it's still broken, still buggy.. still ingame.

The only thing that is actively removed are pillers..

Just.

Pillers.

And some ceilings.  There are from time to time the odd bed, boat, locker removed, but it's all stuff that's been placed in the last 6-8weeks.  Everything older.. still ingame.

Yes, there's some truth out there. But good luck finding it.

Edited by Martyn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Winter Thorne said:

One company in our alliance has stopped selling tames for gold because they have so much gold they don't know what to do with it.  Now they will only accept high level BPs and mythos.

You don't think people are running around with more gold than they know what to do with?  25k?   pffffft.

Now.. that isn't the question.  They have "so much" money, it's now worthless.  It was worthless from the start.  IT is only use to buy cosmetics and pay for islands.

The question is, will they use it, to grief people with empty houses?

You see, the real question here, is will people who are smart enough to make money from the system, stupid enough to just go around griefing empty buildings for the sake of it? And even if they do.. surely all they're doing is doing everyone else a favour? Cleaning the map up one island at a time.

Bearing in mind.. they have to wait 48 hours.. before they can even do it.

So anyone who does get caught out.. will be a casual player and they don't matter, because they're a casual player..

And what are the gains? I wait until 46 hours has passed.. run around my base breaking all my lockers.. 15mins later.. all my stuff is gone. 

All the "griefer" gets.. is empty land.  All my tames I couldn't move are dead.  All my gold, my bps, my stuff is on my ships.. all the stone, wood, easy to replace stuff.. is in the nether..

This is what you're all arguing about.

And it fits between these two full stops..

Edited by Martyn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Casual players don't matter?very loaded statement,you either enjoy arguing or don't think when you type,I wonder which one it is...... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Whitehawk said:

Casual players don't matter?very loaded statement,you either enjoy arguing or don't think when you type,I wonder which one it is...... 

Who do they matter to? Themselves? The devs don't care about them.. you don't care about them, the griefers, nightraiders, offliners.  They don't care about them.

And you actually expect me to as well?  As well what.. to care or not to care..

Personally I do care.  But I recognise the problem and the scale of it, because I'm more intelligent than you are.  All you do is persue argumentative statements to make further argument.  You pull out 1 line of text.. to make a new argument, because you actually think, that if 1 argument you make wins, it actually justifies all your arguments and makes them all true.

But it doesn't.. it just means you won 1 fight out of a dozen.. that you lost.

Now.. who doesn't think.  When they type?

Edited by Martyn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Martyn said:

Bearing in mind.. they have to wait 48 hours.. before they can even do it.

So anyone who does get caught out.. will be a casual player and they don't matter, because they're a casual player..

Oh my god the arrogance is through the roof. I once though negatively of @Realist but man you are the worst i've seen in the these games.

You expect tenants to do what exactly in 48 hours? You realise that most of us don't have the luxury to play 16 hours a day 6 days a week. Most of us have full time jobs, and things called lives.

PvE is designed for casual players.... but nice to see you think of yourself as much more than a casual player that is hiding out in PvE because you know how bad you are at this game.

I mean the number of times i've told you that taxes on PvE DO tax gold yet you still fail to accept this just goes to show the fact that as you spend 57% of your life playing this game it is all going to waste.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Martyn said:

Who do they matter to? Themselves? The devs don't care about them.. you don't care about them, the griefers, nightraiders, offliners.  They don't care about them.

And you actually expect me to as well?  As well what.. to care or not to care..

Personally I do care.  But I recognise the problem and the scale of it, because I'm more intelligent than you are.  All you do is persue argumentative statements to make further argument.  You pull out 1 line of text.. to make a new argument, because you actually think, that if 1 argument you make wins, it actually justifies all your arguments and makes them all true.

But it doesn't.. it just means you won 1 fight out of a dozen.. that you lost.

Now.. who doesn't think.  When they type?

You're right.  The Devs don't care about casual gamers.  That's why at just after peak hours the game has fewer than 4249 players.  That's how many Pathfinder: Kingmaker has, the 100th game of Steam's Top 100.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Martyn said:

Now.. that isn't the question.  They have "so much" money, it's now worthless.  It was worthless from the start.  IT is only use to buy cosmetics and pay for islands.

The question is, will they use it, to grief people with empty houses?

You see, the real question here, is will people who are smart enough to make money from the system, stupid enough to just go around griefing empty buildings for the sake of it? And even if they do.. surely all they're doing is doing everyone else a favour? Cleaning the map up one island at a time.

Bearing in mind.. they have to wait 48 hours.. before they can even do it.

So anyone who does get caught out.. will be a casual player and they don't matter, because they're a casual player..

And what are the gains? I wait until 46 hours has passed.. run around my base breaking all my lockers.. 15mins later.. all my stuff is gone. 

All the "griefer" gets.. is empty land.  All my tames I couldn't move are dead.  All my gold, my bps, my stuff is on my ships.. all the stone, wood, easy to replace stuff.. is in the nether..

This is what you're all arguing about.

And it fits between these two full stops..

Those two full stops are between your ears.

Nobody cares about empty houses.  There's a decay mechanic to take care of empty houses.

There's another thing nobody cares about and that's your opinion of "casual players"...you know, those people who have families, jobs, lives...stuff like that.  

I don't recall this game being advertised as Mom's Basement Dwellers Only.

Somebody spends 3 months building something great and interesting, and you think it's not a big deal to pack that up in a few hours and just do it all over again.  Must be you've never built anything great or interesting.   Or spent a day doing anything other than playing Atlas.

It's an....interesting....perspective, Martyn.  Or a trollish one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, [GP] Guybrush Threepwood said:

@Jatheish @Dollie Is there any update on this?

I'm curious to understand your thoughts on how giving PvE players a nuke to wipe entire islands of months of innocent active players structures is considered PvE?

I would also like to hear this. I would further request that you not take any of Martyn’s statements or positions on this issue as representative of anything but the most extreme of hardcore views. If anything his obvious contempt for players who do not dedicate their lives to playing a game the way he does should highlight for you the bizarre arrogance and selfishness it takes to embrace this change as a good idea.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Winter Thorne said:

Those two full stops are between your ears.

Nobody cares about empty houses.  There's a decay mechanic to take care of empty houses.

There's another thing nobody cares about and that's your opinion of "casual players"...you know, those people who have families, jobs, lives...stuff like that.  

I don't recall this game being advertised as Mom's Basement Dwellers Only.

Somebody spends 3 months building something great and interesting, and you think it's not a big deal to pack that up in a few hours and just do it all over again.  Must be you've never built anything great or interesting.   Or spent a day doing anything other than playing Atlas.

It's an....interesting....perspective, Martyn.  Or a trollish one.

I think it's great how you just make up stuff in your own head and then accuse people claiming they said it.

Do you really think people will hunt down occupied islands, just to raze everything? It's an optional extra.  Most people won't use it.  Some might, but it is, their choice, not yours.  You aren't paying, you don't have an argument.  If you want rights.. own the island.

Until then, go back to crying into your pillow, screaming at walls or whatever it is you do when you're not trolling these forums.

If you don't empty your house in the 48 hours.. that's your fault.  Also you clearly have no comprehension of what a casual player is, most avg players, play on avg 2-4 hours and have jobs, children, lives etc.  Yet they still manage to play every day for a few hours. Casual players turn up maybe on a weekend.. maybe for a day every other week.. Why should the rights of all the thousands of players who play every day, be punished, so the few people who may or may not turn up at all can play a happy happy game.  The have no rights, if they want more, they should at least play the avg number of hours everyone else does.

Games should be balanced for the majority.. not the minority.  Minorities get no rights.

If they did.. I'd have a submarine.

Edited by Martyn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Martyn said:

I think it's great how you just make up stuff in your own head and then accuse people claiming they said it.

Like you make stuff up in your head claiming the majority support this in PvE when there's about 2 people in this topic that support it compared to the large amount that don't?

Also like you make stuff up in your head that people in this topic don't play Atlas and have no right to comment?

Every post you make now is an embarrassment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Slash78 said:

You're right.  The Devs don't care about casual gamers.  That's why at just after peak hours the game has fewer than 4249 players.  That's how many Pathfinder: Kingmaker has, the 100th game of Steam's Top 100.

And your point is?

People bought the game in EA.. it's not finished.  It's a process.. when it's released, maybe the numbers will be the same, maybe by some miracle they'll turn it around.. maybe it's just doomed, because the world is full of babies.  That's life bud.. that's life.

In the meantime, I have tames to feed, islands to explore.

12 minutes ago, [GP] Guybrush Threepwood said:

Like you make stuff up in your head claiming the majority support this in PvE when there's about 2 people in this topic that support it compared to the large amount that don't?

Also like you make stuff up in your head that people in this topic don't play Atlas and have no right to comment?

Every post you make now is an embarrassment.

The large amount who don't even play the game? Thier opinions, like yours, don't matter.  Which is why I ignore the majority of what you say.

I bet you can't even remember why you're arguing?

Edited by Martyn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×