Darkweaver

Devs; why do you keep rolling over the small company & solo player?

Well unfortunately because of my lesser intelligence I chose to make base on lawless,silly me.So this won't directly affect me yet,however also due to my severe mental impediments I am prone to outbursts of caring about other people (bonkers I know),and whatever happens as a result of this new wipe system I don't believe will be beneficial to pve.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Whitehawk said:

Well unfortunately because of my lesser intelligence, I chose to make a base on lawless, silly me.  So this won't directly affect me, however also due to my severe mental impediments, I am prone to outbursts of caring about other people (bonkers I know) and whatever happens as a result of this new wipe system I don't believe will be beneficial to pve.

I get that.  I do.  Hope you continue to enjoy the game and I fixed your statement for you.  I am guessing english isn't your main language.

Edited by Martyn

7 hours ago, Jack Shandy said:

You might have the start of something here.

i'll build on it if i may. (From a PVE perspective only)

Your company is automaticaly put into the cookie jar, if you are active & have 10 or less unconnected structures. (would need some way to count that and let companies know their current unconnected structures per island)

Most builds i've seen are mostly connected, (10 is a number guessed at) and should cover most base builds. It's also going to be hard spamming with 10 or less unconnected structures.

Other stuctures are covered by structure decay ie inactive players, abandoned taming pens, access ramps etc.

something like this would free it up from being only a one time thing on claming an island, but available to island owners at any time.

I will build on this for you:

We are a large group of players, (we're not actually but we could be) we've finally found an island we like.. where we can build and expand, instead of living on several islands, we can all live on one.

But it's got a couple of people there.. we've tried speaking to them, but they're never online.  One of them has no tames, a schooner and half a brig in a dock being built.  But there's crops growing in the 3 plots outside their house.  So I assume they're somewhat active.  The other guy.. well, he plays alone, he has build all over the island.. empty buildings that he thinks looks amazing. 

Now we're told we're not allowed to raze all these structures, that are on our island.  We have to wait 2 days before we can do so.  Some people even think we should wait 10 days..

Before we can even remove anything.. from OUR island.. That WE are paying for.  They want a safe island to play on, a settlement where they can exploit the lawless system and keep their houses for months without losing them to auto demo, they want us to pay for their ability to do this.. so they can continue to leech off the players who do all the hard work, who do all the grind.  So they are protected.

Edited by Martyn

14 minutes ago, Whitehawk said:

It's not my english,It's my hands.Something to do with age.

I see, it doesn't allow you to push a spacebar.. Ok. 

yep that's right,I can push a spacebar but if I miss it or hit two keys at a time, I tend not to keep re-editing as it it is awkward to do so,however as you yourself have a disability, then I assume you'll understand that some of the things others take for granted are not always possible for everyone.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Whitehawk said:

yep that's right,I can push a spacebar but if I miss it or hit two keys at a time, I tend not to keep re-editing as it it is awkward to do so,however as you yourself have a disability, then I assume you'll understand that some of the things others take for granted are not always possible for everyone.

I am continually editing my posts, to remove my mistakes.  You manage to place a space between words, so unless you're using a prompter of some sort.. I can only assume you're typing on a keyboard.

It doesn't take much to proof read what you said, before, during or after.  I do it all the time, even reading my own statements, I make dozens of mistakes and misread, repeatedly what I said, only to look later and go "oh..duh..really?"

Since I cannot see your reality, I can only guess at it.  If I've caused offense.. that's unfortunate.  It wasn't intended.  But it is a choice.

Now can we get back to arguing about how the new patch is nuking the pve world into oblivion, because casual gamers have an undeniable right to build on someone elses settlement that they aren't paying for.. because: Er.. well.. erm.. because.  Yeh. Because!

These people demanding rights.. are exploiting the lawless system.  And they don't want to pay taxes, they won't give up gold voluntarily.. they won't offer to join in as an alliance.. to help out.. They want to live their little solo lives.. on our islands.  And for us to have NO rights.. at all.  They, get all the rights..

Edited by Martyn

Well as you are aware this is a forum,not an exam paper or an editorial,so as long as people understand what i'm trying to say then frankly,that's all that matters to me.As for offended,not a chance,I've got thicker skin than an old crocodile.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Martyn said:

I will build on this for you:

We are a large group of players, (we're not actually but we could be) we've finally found an island we like.. where we can build and expand, instead of living on several islands, we can all live on one.

But it's got a couple of people there.. we've tried speaking to them, but they're never online.  One of them has no tames, a schooner and half a brig in a dock being built.  But there's crops growing in the 3 plots outside their house.  So I assume they're somewhat active.  The other guy.. well, he plays alone, he has build all over the island.. empty buildings that he thinks looks amazing. 

Now we're told we're not allowed to raze all these structures, that are on our island.  We have to wait 2 days before we can do so.  Some people even think we should wait 10 days..

Before we can even remove anything.. from OUR island.. That WE are paying for.  They want a safe island to play on, a settlement where they can exploit the lawless system and keep their houses for months without losing them to auto demo, they want us to pay for their ability to do this.. so they can continue to leech off the players who do all the hard work, who do all the grind.  So they are protected.

So you decide to buy that hypothetical island, Why? 

You did not say it was full of spam, just active PVE players doing PVE things.

And you want to destroy all their buildings, wipe out all their gathered resources, that Martyn is a PVP attitude, and does not belong on a PVE server.

A PVE server should have rules and mechanisms to keep things in check, not bull-headed players that like to see other peoples stuff go pop. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Jack Shandy said:

So you decide to buy that hypothetical island, Why? 

You did not say it was full of spam, just active PVE players doing PVE things.

And you want to destroy all their buildings, wipe out all their gathered resources, that Martyn is a PVP attitude, and does not belong on a PVE server.

A PVE server should have rules and mechanisms to keep things in check, not bull-headed players that like to see other peoples stuff go pop. 

No.  It's my island.. not theirs.  Pvp is player v player killing.  No killing involved here.

It isn't a pvp attitude at all, it isn't even slightly or remotely pvp.  I have no issue with them living anywhere else.  Just not, on, my, island.

Personally I'd give them longer to leave.. say a week.. to move out.  Fair eviction for something they aren't and never have paid for.  Exploiters that they are.  Don't really deserve to be treated fairly tho.. maybe 3.5 days.

Other peoples buildings.. are spam.  pillers are spam, ceilings on pillers are spam.. any house I cannot use is spam. Pretty buildings on hills are spam.

If it doesn't serve a purpose.. it is spam.  If it isn't in my company, but is on my island.. it is spam.

Unless it's there by permission.

I personally think settlement owners should have the right to destroy all buildings, all of the time.  It is their island.  No ownership.. no rights, no opinion.

Edited by Martyn

43 minutes ago, Whitehawk said:

Well as you are aware this is a forum,not an exam paper or an editorial,so as long as people understand what i'm trying to say then frankly,that's all that matters to me.As for offended,not a chance,I've got thicker skin than an old crocodile.

I understand what you're saying.  It'sjustreallyannoyingtoread.

Well yeh it would be if it was like that eh,you have a natural gift forexaggerationInotice.

41 minutes ago, Whitehawk said:

Well yeh it would be if it was like that eh,you have a natural gift forexaggerationInotice.

Now you're getting it..

3 hours ago, boomervoncannon said:

I would also like to hear this. I would further request that you not take any of Martyn’s statements or positions on this issue as representative of anything but the most extreme of hardcore views. If anything his obvious contempt for players who do not dedicate their lives to playing a game the way he does should highlight for you the bizarre arrogance and selfishness it takes to embrace this change as a good idea.

2 hours ago, Martyn said:

Minorities get no rights.

It's kinda fun when people make your points for you. Except in this case I'm not sure if 'fun' is the right word.

6 minutes ago, Kidori said:

It's kinda fun when people make your points for you. Except in this case I'm not sure if 'fun' is the right word.

I've never claimed to have any.  I make my viewpoint.. you lot burst into tears.

Now apparently, I'm a nazi because I have a viewpoint that isn't concurrant with boomers.. Wow.. you guys are so good at namecalling.

So, the players who play least, get more rights, than the players who play most.  And anyone who argues anything else, is a nazi.  Thanks boomer..

Avg hours.. not hardcore.. just a few hours a day.. not maybe once a month. People who play average hours, don't need to worry about loosing their stuff.. people who don't play at all.. they do.. and they expect to be looked after, by the people who play the most.. and I'm a nazi because I think people who put in the work, should win the prize.

:classic_biggrin:

Edited by Martyn

What a nice idea.. why didn't I think of that.  Actually.. I've been thinking of moving to a smaller island.  We don't need all this space and I am not spending all day looking after the campers.

But if they contribute.. well maybe I will. Maybe it's ok then.

Edited by Martyn

Im realy glad the devs added this mechanic. Im sick of wasting time,  cannon balls and mortar shot to clear out vast swathes of pillar spam and bob bases after taking over a a claim. This should have been added earlier imo. The cost is also pretty fair. What small group or solo group wants to own a whole island anyways? You should be approaching mega companies for renter status to ensure your safety from other mega companies. Otherwise it ends up as the same old story. Wiped. Rebuild.wipe rebuild. Bitch about a mega company landing 3 guys on your island and wiping you. 

Enjoy atlas team.

8 minutes ago, Jatheish said:

We've gone ahead and will be disabling the option to raze islands on PvE. Structure spam is still an issue, and one we would like to resolve but we recognize the problems this causes on a PvE network, in particular to settlers who have been living under the guise that their bases would be safe following the initial structure-placement timer. We'll keep on reading your guys' feedback and consider ourselves more suitable ways to approach this.

This patch also introduces a change where island owners can place down more tax banks around their island, to help encourage other settlers who live there to contribute to the upkeep cost. 

There's a lot of fair and valid feedback here, but there are also some unnecessary remarks towards one another. Remember, it's okay to have a different opinion and share it folks, but keep things civil 😉

Thank you for taking us seriously.  

Spam is a problem that exists, but it's smaller now than ever before.  Drastic solutions will do more harm than good.  Anybody here, now, is patient enough to wait as long as they won't lose anything.

1 hour ago, Martyn said:

No.  It's my island.. not theirs.  Pvp is player v player killing.  No killing involved here.

It isn't a pvp attitude at all, it isn't even slightly or remotely pvp.  I have no issue with them living anywhere else.  Just not, on, my, island.

Personally I'd give them longer to leave.. say a week.. to move out.  Fair eviction for something they aren't and never have paid for.  Exploiters that they are.  Don't really deserve to be treated fairly tho.. maybe 3.5 days.

Other peoples buildings.. are spam.  pillers are spam, ceilings on pillers are spam.. any house I cannot use is spam. Pretty buildings on hills are spam.

If it doesn't serve a purpose.. it is spam.  If it isn't in my company, but is on my island.. it is spam.

Unless it's there by permission.

I personally think settlement owners should have the right to destroy all buildings, all of the time.  It is their island.  No ownership.. no rights, no opinion.

I have a wonderful suggestion for you. Imagine if you will, that there was a place where you and your like minded play all day friends could go where you’d have complete control of any island you wanted. You would never be troubled with pesky tenants and their eyesore spam.

Even better, you could with a stroke rid yourself of the deadwood of all your inactive company members and their useless tames. Gone like the detritus of your Atlas life that they are, you would finally be free to play in blissful pristine conditions unsullied by lesser beings who must bow to the demands of the lives of mere mortals. No longer troubled by even the hint of their loathsome presence, you could bask in the superiorness of your hard earned property rights unfettered by cares for free loading peasants.

For you and your kind, this place is far superior to the unsightly filth of official servers, yet in form and appearance it is identical, merely the offensive presence of those who have not your focus, your dedication, your absolute devotion to...whatever it is that you do for every waking moment of your life spent in game. Where can I find such a celestial paradise, you ask?

Nay it is not a mirage. No mere whim of fantasy or idle daydream. I give you....

Non dedicated servers!

Coming Soon.

• Haha 4

20 minutes ago, Martyn said:

I've never claimed to have any.  I make my viewpoint.. you lot burst into tears.

Now apparently, I'm a nazi because I have a viewpoint that isn't concurrant with boomers.. Wow.. you guys are so good at namecalling.

So, the players who play least, get more rights, than the players who play most.  And anyone who argues anything else, is a nazi.  Thanks boomer..

Avg hours.. not hardcore.. just a few hours a day.. not maybe once a month. People who play average hours, don't need to worry about loosing their stuff.. people who don't play at all.. they do.. and they expect to be looked after, by the people who play the most.. and I'm a nazi because I think people who put in the work, should win the prize.

:classic_biggrin:

Facts: not once have I used the term nazi. Yet you have repeatedly ascribed it to me in this post. I have characterized your positions on this issue as extreme, as arrogant, as selfish and as factually incorrect on at least one point. I stand by those statements. Your attempt to paint me as calling you a nazi are conjured out of thin air, like some of your other assertions herein.

16 minutes ago, Jatheish said:

We've gone ahead and will be disabling the option to raze islands on PvE. Structure spam is still an issue, and one we would like to resolve but we recognize the problems this causes on a PvE network, in particular to settlers who have been living under the guise that their bases would be safe following the initial structure-placement timer. We'll keep on reading your guys' feedback and consider ourselves more suitable ways to approach this.

This patch also introduces a change where island owners can place down more tax banks around their island, to help encourage other settlers who live there to contribute to the upkeep cost. 

There's a lot of fair and valid feedback here, but there are also some unnecessary remarks towards one another. Remember, it's okay to have a different opinion and share it folks, but keep things civil 😉

thanks for the quick reaction 🙂

i would suggest to keep the raze option limited to a small area big enough for a base around the new placed claimflag. this would be a good option for PVP to keep collateral damage to other players as low as possible. with more players planned and higher density one wouldnt want to see a company that can keep servers around their island void of players with this mechanic.

29 minutes ago, Jatheish said:

Thank you, Jat. It's always heartwarming to see our feedback given real consideration.

As for further feedback, may I suggest a simple blacklist? To my mind, when a company is added to the list it wouldn't remove any structures currently on the island but would prevent new structures being placed. Some have previously suggested a whitelist but I feel a blacklist would better preserve the "build-anywhere" nature of the game.

It would not help with spam that already exists, and regrettably I do not have a solution for that, but it would help island owners to curb the more troublesome companies.

Edited by Kidori
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Jatheish said:

Jat, ty for reconsidering this. Something a little left in the dust in the strenuous debate over this change was the fact that everyone agrees spam is a problem. We do all appreciate that you’re looking for solutions, even if we really didn’t like this one. The problem is a particularly thorny one and I do not envy your quest for a solution. I fully confess I have no meaningful solution to the problem either despite having mulled it considerably. 

1 hour ago, Jatheish said:

Just wanted to point out I was being nice the whole time lol.

anyways, raze doesn’t make that much sense on pvp either though. That is what people do on pvp servers is destroy stuff. Since you are already able to do so on pvp there is only one thing that really means.