Dosgimp

Anymore Confused???

Settlement Owners can now raze a settlement after first claiming it. This will destroy all structures on the island. The cost to raze will be 12k gold on PvP servers and 25k gold on PvE servers. Settlement Owners will need to wait 48 hours to be able to raze an island after claiming it. The raze option will then be available for a 24-hour window only. This option is only functional during peacetime on PvP networks.

So buy an island..  then spend 25k gold to "Cleanse" island..  *Stop there*   i bought the island..  Now i gotta pay to do what I want with my island??     But wait its better..   I buy the island, but cant do anything till 48hrs after purchase? But after 48hrs of waiting... i have 24 hours to respond..  before doing anything to my island???    Im confused?   Could I please get a break down in lamens?  Please

Edited by Dosgimp

10 minutes ago, Dosgimp said:

Settlement Owners can now raze a settlement after first claiming it. This will destroy all structures on the island. The cost to raze will be 12k gold on PvP servers and 25k gold on PvE servers. Settlement Owners will need to wait 48 hours to be able to raze an island after claiming it. The raze option will then be available for a 24-hour window only. This option is only functional during peacetime on PvP networks.

So buy an island..  then spend 25k gold to "Cleanse" island..  *Stop there*   i bought the island..  Now i gotta pay to do what I want with my island??     But wait its better..   I buy the island, but cant do anything till 48hrs after purchase? But after 48hrs of waiting... i have 24 hours to respond..  before doing anything to my island???    Im confused?   Could I please get a break down in lamens?  Please

So far it sounds like you understand what it's saying just fine, you just don't like it. Can't entirely blame you. Prices seem steep, especially for a development team that keeps making noises about being more small clan friendly and then leaving their players wondering when exactly that's gonna happen.

My own question about this is why is this a completely flat fee across the board without taking into account island size, which is certainly a factor otherwise in cost of purchase, or how extensive a wipe will be. Smaller islands should imo cost less than these prices as well as islands where the wipe cleanses fewer structures.

Edited by boomervoncannon

It also means with my 500k gold I have no use for and the increased island points we have I could just go around griefing people, claiming unclaimed islands for 2 days and wiping out everyone that lives there.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

2 minutes ago, boomervoncannon said:

So far it sounds like you understand what it's saying just fine, you just don't like it. Can't entirely blame you. Prices seem steep, especially for a development team that keeps making noises about being more small clan friendly and then leaving their players wondering when exactly that's gonna happen.

You're right I don't like it.  Based on the mere facts I dont understand it.    What was the reason for this change?  Why did the Devs go with this?      I would like to hear from the DEVS on this one.  We know you read these. Ive seen it Jat.    Why was this needed?  What did this improve?

6 minutes ago, Kidori said:

It also means with my 500k gold I have no use for and the increased island points we have I could just go around griefing people, claiming unclaimed islands for 2 days and wiping out everyone that lives there.

True, but to be fair, if you are living on an unclaimed claimable island without claiming it yourself, you're kind of that guy who builds his house on the volcano. Sure it might never be a problem, but you know it's entirely possible it could be a gigantic problem at any time.

1 minute ago, boomervoncannon said:

True, but to be fair, if you are living on an unclaimed claimable island without claiming it yourself, you're kind of that guy who builds his house on the volcano. Sure it might never be a problem, but you know it's entirely possible it could be a gigantic problem at any time.

Sort of. It's a volcano now, but for the past few months it was just a regular mountain with the possibility of riff-raff moving in next door.

4 minutes ago, boomervoncannon said:

"Applaud"

1 minute ago, Kidori said:

Sort of. It's a volcano now, but for the past few months it was just a regular mountain with the possibility of riff-raff moving in next door.

Point conceeded. I currently live on a claimed island and have never so much as spoken to our landlords, who as far as I know are benign, but you better believe if the island ever became available, I'd claim it in a heartbeat even though ownership isn't something I'm particularly seeking out atm. Would just do it to protect myself from this new, let's call it a mechanic, sure.

1 minute ago, boomervoncannon said:

Point conceeded. I currently live on a claimed island and have never so much as spoken to our landlords, who as far as I know are benign, but you better believe if the island ever became available, I'd claim it in a heartbeat even though ownership isn't something I'm particularly seeking out atm. Would just do it to protect myself from this new, let's call it a mechanic, sure.

Unfortunately this new "mechanic," as we're calling it, gives people even less of a reason to live on claimed islands instead of lawless. In my opinion, there should be far more benefits to being a settler than to living on a lawless island. This is especially true on PvE, where the one main benefit - protection - is non-existent, and people tend to put more love into their homes.

Now we have to be concerned about our landlords deciding to sell the island to someone who wants a nice clean slate to work with while we're sleeping.

Okay so now that I've taken more than two minutes to think about this, it does make a certain amount of sense I guess. When you claim an island, you want a chance to start with a clean slate, over time the only people who would have this chance would be the first round of owners assuming the game has a sustainable level of activity. However, the counterbalance is that those already living there shouldn't automatically be out on their ear just because you claimed it for whatever reason and they didn't. So the cost of doing so is set pretty high to make the new owner really have to want that clean slate, otherwise they should let existing tenants be. There's an option, but the cost of the option means it's not a no brainer.

I dunno, if the cost is the only offset then I feel like it should be higher. 25k isn't much, to be honest.

My company currently owns a large island, that has at least one of every type of resource on it. It's a pretty popular island, and we have 26 different companies on our island that are all active. About half of them have their main base set up there. I could easily just unclaim the flag while everyone is offline, put it back down and in 2 days cost them all their bases for less than half a day's work of treasure maps. I wouldn't, but I could.

If I do that, it's unlikely those people are just going to rebuild. No, more likely they're just done with the game at that point, after having lost everything they have to a new mechanic they may not even be aware of. So not only did I just cost them their stuff, I just reduced the already faltering player base. If I were more of a troll than I am, that would be a pretty good day's work right there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Kidori said:

Unfortunately this new "mechanic," as we're calling it, gives people even less of a reason to live on claimed islands instead of lawless. In my opinion, there should be far more benefits to being a settler than to living on a lawless island. This is especially true on PvE, where the one main benefit - protection - is non-existent, and people tend to put more love into their homes.

Now we have to be concerned about our landlords deciding to sell the island to someone who wants a nice clean slate to work with while we're sleeping.

I don't think it's a thing there will be a lot of immediate concern about, because right now land in Atlas feels like more of a buyers market than a sellers, which should translate to not a lot of existing landlords selling out to new owners. However, if activity picks up over time, this could be a very real issue down the road. For the moment I'm willing to be the guinea pig on this one though.

2 minutes ago, boomervoncannon said:

Okay so now that I've taken more than two minutes to think about this, it does make a certain amount of sense I guess. When you claim an island, you want a chance to start with a clean slate, over time the only people who would have this chance would be the first round of owners assuming the game has a sustainable level of activity. However, the counterbalance is that those already living there shouldn't automatically be out on their ear just because you claimed it for whatever reason and they didn't. So the cost of doing so is set pretty high to make the new owner really have to want that clean slate, otherwise they should let existing tenants be. There's an option, but the cost of the option means it's not a no brainer.

My Complaint is..   Previous owner of island has base...    others build around..  owner does nothing..    "new owner takes island"    Payed for,   Nope cant control..  his land..  cannot destroy nothing..  but "hey I own it" ...  Now new system..  Pay 40K to cleanse an island you already did the work for?  "not to mention get the needed amount of people in one company to obtain the needed points to buy the island...      Why are we being punished?  I just dont understand..  I enjoy this game very much I give my input in every way to assist the dev's with understanding the "END" user gameplay experience.       

Just now, boomervoncannon said:

I don't think it's a thing there will be a lot of immediate concern about, because right now land in Atlas feels like more of a buyers market than a sellers, which should translate to not a lot of existing landlords selling out to new owners. However, if activity picks up over time, this could be a very real issue down the road. For the moment I'm willing to be the guinea pig on this one though.

Fair enough, yeah there isn't a lot of island selling going on right now. There's some, but not enough to make it a wide-spread issue. That may change at a later point, but for the time being it will just remain an uncomfortable itch in the back of my head.

4 minutes ago, Kidori said:

I dunno, if the cost is the only offset then I feel like it should be higher. 25k isn't much, to be honest.

My company currently owns a large island, that has at least one of every type of resource on it. It's a pretty popular island, and we have 26 different companies on our island that are all active. About half of them have their main base set up there. I could easily just unclaim the flag while everyone is offline, put it back down and in 2 days cost them all their bases for less than half a day's work of treasure maps. I wouldn't, but I could.

If I do that, it's unlikely those people are just going to rebuild. No, more likely they're just done with the game at that point, after having lost everything they have to a new mechanic they may not even be aware of. So not only did I just cost them their stuff, I just reduced the already faltering player base. If I were more of a troll than I am, that would be a pretty good day's work right there.

hrm, definately food for thought. I play small time so 25k feels bigger to me, but you're right, for bigger groups it's nothing. This feels like a thing that needs to be chewed on a bit and kicked the tires on and otherwise tested, but it certainly seems to have some significant potential unproductive uses.

5 minutes ago, Dosgimp said:

My Complaint is..   Previous owner of island has base...    others build around..  owner does nothing..    "new owner takes island"    Payed for,   Nope cant control..  his land..  cannot destroy nothing..  but "hey I own it" ...  Now new system..  Pay 40K to cleanse an island you already did the work for?  "not to mention get the needed amount of people in one company to obtain the needed points to buy the island...      Why are we being punished?  I just dont understand..  I enjoy this game very much I give my input in every way to assist the dev's with understanding the "END" user gameplay experience.       

The reason for the fee is to create a disincentive to screw over existing tenants for no reason other than it's conveniant. yes you bought it, you own it, but they were there and doing perfectly fine, and presumably your newfound ownership is not something they have any say in, so the idea I *think* is to put a significant fee in to give them *some* protection. That's my guess on how they're hoping it will work, but who really knows?

Also to compare this to real life, let's say you buy a piece of property that has a building already on it. The building is old and decrepit, and you wish to knock it down and rebuild fresh. It's your land, you are free to do so (leaving zoning out of it for the moment), but no one is going to knock the old building down and haul away the debris for free. That will cost something.

Agreed. As the new land owner my intent is not to be a "jerk" and destroy all you got..    Hey if your establised and doing well with serving me @ 10% taxes..    Why the "F" would I ruin that for myself.  Instead as land owner I should have the "RIGHT" to destroy any object I deem worthy no questions asked.    The new system in place, is just confused..  "Do we do what it takes to own land"  IE Company size and gold..    or why bother because,, Hey we need 40K, before you can clean up the mess of others players blocking spawns.... pathways to resources etc.   etc.

This would be much better if you could at least whitelist companies instead of wiping everything. 

I have a feeling this is going to be bad all around. So say you live on a claimed land and you are happy there paying your taxes. The land owner stops playing or the flag runs out of gold, anyone John Doe can come in swoop up the island "purge " it and Bam you lost everything. It would be better for people who don't own land to live on lawless. What benefit is there to being a Settler? Why be a settler when you have to constantly worry about the Land being sold or Decaying.

Something Seriously needs to be done to benefit Settlers otherwise there is no point in Being one. 

Not to mention....this fast destroy timer on unattached Building pieces, How are we supposed to protect resource nodes now? Do I just stack 3 pillars high?  Settlement owners could get Resource Flags where they can protect certain areas. You get a set amount of resource flags per Island depending how big it is and nooce can build on it. 

Sigh Seems we are taking a few steps back ya'll. 

I read a lot of reactions as if we are on a budget in this game. But we're not. In PvE we all end up with a growing stack of gold and little to nothing to spend it on. The 'loss' of 40k gold is not a loss as there was nothing else it would have gotten us.

It is a different story for solo PvPers ... for them gold might as valuable now as in the first few days.

Anyway, razing seems too blunt ... destroy everything or destroy nothing ... nobody can negotiate an exception?

Another reason not to live on those islands. I've always lived on lawless and loved it there.

Why do they do these things to the game, it isn't making it better, its making it worse. I don't think they think things through when making changes.

9 minutes ago, DannyUK said:

Another reason not to live on those islands. I've always lived on lawless and loved it there.

Why do they do these things to the game, it isn't making it better, its making it worse. I don't think they think things through when making changes.

Exactly, it says the exact opposite of come to claimed islands. There is literally zero incentive now to build on claimed island, not that there was much incentive before, but now none at all.

• Like 2

On PvP, in the past, we've had solos and duos living on our islands - generally, we don't care as long as they don't cause trouble (the tax haul is nice). But what happens when we abandon an island or it's captured? (lolz)... Basically, those settlers will find themselves at the mercy of the new landlord who can just DEFCON 1 everything they own with a menu click.

There definitely needs to be some asset cleanup, and landlords do have rights, but this seems like a fix with a lot of potential collateral damage.

1 hour ago, [GP] Guybrush Threepwood said:

Exactly, it says the exact opposite of come to claimed islands. There is literally zero incentive now to build on claimed island, not that there was much incentive before, but now none at all.

Even if they changed it back I feel it will be to late, the damage will have been done. In my opinion I think they do these things on purpose to drive people out of PvE, they consider it a hindrance more than anything.

How can you put this feature in and expect people to stay? They must know others will use it to grief, it doesn't make sense to me. You would think these people learn from past mistakes sadly not.