Sign in to follow this  
Megalithic

Fast Structure Decay is now enabled on non-snapped core structures

While I appreciate the sentiment to eliminate spam, I assume this means implementing a base repair structure is considerably less likely in the future?

12 hours ago, Sheepshooter said:

LOL, yeah, that is why they got rid of it...
because the system was "stupidly" perfect... 🤔

What will happen, if you limit the claims per company? - too small for good size company... or many alliances to that company sharing claims... result = what you hated about that old system...

What will happen, if they limit the claims per player? - too small for you (even smaller after they locked you in)... or giant companies to have more bodies to have more claims... result = what you hated about that old system...

Then you will come back here and want that players get the amount of claim flags you need to build your base, while the company size limit has to be reduced to something very close to 1 with an alliance cap close to 0, so that you not get griefed by the claim flag BS like before the wipe and everyone can live happily ever after... 🙄

while the solution right now is as easy as it gets... you are too small for an island claim and you don't even need one... unless you are anti-social, of course... but there is single player for that - no one to get in your way...

agan READ WHAT IS WRITTEN  the system needs to come back with i will put it in capitals again LIMITS PER PLAYER OR COMPANY , nothing could have been simpler , 

flags for no build zones by others , anywhere not flagged can be built on like now ,but with faster decay unless repaired , or visited 

12 hours ago, wandelaar said:

Be carefull what you wish for Udo: that increased build radius will also work for those two snapped foundations under water or inside a rock that some spammer (or ignoramus) slapped down.

In a landscape where must stuff is built allready I would cry "Yea!"; in a context where we still need to build I would sigh "Nea!" to such an increase.

yes true , i still maintain along wioth others the old system with a limit to flags per player or company was the best solution , 

Edited by UDO

12 hours ago, Martyn said:

So you have a company with 50 members, 50 flags.. if you limit companys to 1 flag, people will settle as an offline company, sharing everything ingame, keeping their 50 flags..

The guy with 1 flag.. still suffers.

I like the current system.. lets companies have their own place, the problem really to me is that there is a/ a lack of islands and b/ a lack of variation in those available.

if they implement the fast decay , what are they putting in place to stop other pve players walling in others bases ? 

Edited by UDO

With 8 active players in our company we can manage our islands and keep them free from the spam.

in PvE, if u claim an island, u have to take note that it's not done with filling up gold in the flag. If u don't check your island every day and take care of it, u maybe get a pillar-spammed island. We had to remove several times now some foundations and pillars and we don't cry about, because it's part of being an island owner.

Twice we had to talk to our settlers for moving them over to another place. We offered resources and helping hands for the movement and it worked fine and without trouble. (we talk about farm-or taming camps, not entire bases and huge concepts).

in lawless it's surely a pain and not so funny. For these people who live there it's maybe a welcome change.

Yes I noticed several of mine gone which I placed beds on. I had a bed next to metal nodes and it's gone but box remains as it's on floor alone.

So now the work around is you will find people spam foundations 2 together all over the place, so now you have double the joy to look at. 

1 hour ago, UnknownSystemError said:

Working as intended.

Working_as_intended.png

Pathetic.. this is why code like this has to be added.

Imho.. we need gm's to just perm ban anyone who does this. And then globally demo all of their company assets.

Only then will the problem be solved.  The amount of server lag this generates is technically griefing the entire region.

Btw the cleanup code only works now on officials on settled islands.  And only if the area hasn't been visited within 12 hours.

Edited by Martyn
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Martyn said:

Btw the cleanup code only works now on officials on settled islands.  And only if the area hasn't been visited within 12 hours.

Are you sure? I believe it works on settled, unsettled, and lawless islands?

8 hours ago, UDO said:

agan READ WHAT IS WRITTEN  the system needs to come back with i will put it in capitals again LIMITS PER PLAYER OR COMPANY , nothing could have been simpler , 

flags for no build zones by others , anywhere not flagged can be built on like now ,but with faster decay unless repaired , or visited 

Well, read again as well than...
The problem with your proposal, which caused it to be changed to the new, BETTER system...
is the same problem with RL taxes... yeah yeah yeah we can somehow all accept taxes on different things... it depends, as your idea, on how much...
How many flags would work for you? And would that work for everyone else? And what if you come to a point where you need more or your neighbor should have less???
The only thing your idea to go back to a failed system will produce is you coming back here to cry more...
It just like communism, right... great system, just everyone before that tried it has not done it right, right? 🤔

52 minutes ago, Martyn said:

Imho.. we need gm's to just perm ban anyone who does this. And then globally demo all of their company assets.
Only then will the problem be solved.

How about having a game design, where this is not needed?
Too easy? Just slap the ban hammer for usable game mechanics... 🙄

For PVE it is called PVP...
For PVP it is called fair Land-PVP-mechanic...
Both we have not...

What I find funny that they tried decaying single structures on Ark and people added ladders to their pillars.... are they really this stupid?.... parking lot time!....

Give us a claim system that prohibits (by game mechanics) people from building a one use taming pen (like those stupid sign pens) 3 feet from someones front door and this all goes away....

I recommend 5 flags per player.... company size is irrelevant....

and for those that are calling for a permanent ban..... imagine body parts that would get me a forum ban for mentioning and su@k that..... 

• Like 1

If land owners could sell building permits or land writs it would solve most issues in PVE.
And if those building permits or land writs would be connected to specific land plots that would be even better.
Such a system would even enable player shops in the freeports and would push all chaos into Lawless.

12 minutes ago, wandelaar said:

If land owners could sell building permits or land writs it would solve most issues in PVE.
And if those building permits or land writs would be connected to specific land plots that would be even better.
Such a system would even enable player shops in the freeports and would push all chaos into Lawless.

this is why the flag claim didnt work when there were no limits , landowners wont allow anyone to build if you suggestion was  implemnted , 

why should someone who landed at an island decided who can settle there we all paid the same , we all play the same hame , we just slept or worked at different times and now another players decides for us where we can make bases , dont think so ...

I follow you half way ... personally I am not a fan of any land ownership system in PvE. All the variants that I have seen working had their flaws.

The powers that be are apparently convinced that PvE needs a claiming mechanic. With the upcoming actual maintenance it will be more important to have settlers OR to have a more active company of several. Currently there is no incentive for the settlers, nor any real restriction to what they can do in PvE. Building a relationship as a settler with the landowners  has tangible, but quite limited advantages. A land plot system, or leasing contract, or land writ mechanic would help strengthen the bond. It would also encourage a bit more formal communication: making deals!
It would facilitate gold-based decay for settlers as long as the owners of the region don't change.

You think that PvE landowners would not open up their territory if they don't have to?
Some probably wouldn't. But there are many messages, both in the fora as well as on billboards in game, that prove lots would. I know we would.

39 minutes ago, wandelaar said:

You think that PvE landowners would not open up their territory if they don't have to?
Some probably wouldn't. But there are many messages, both in the fora as well as on billboards in game, that prove lots would. I know we would.

You can't fix the problem by just looking at it from the perspective of whether the landowners would do something, and you can't leave something as critical to the game as being able to build a base up to the whims of the other players.  You have to look at the perspective of the player looking for a place to settle as well.  Assume at some point there are fully loaded servers again.  What would those look like?  Would there be any claimable islands?  Probably not and definitely not any small ones.  So say there's an influx of players to that server - 600 people join.  What's their perspective?

They never get to own land.

They have to go from island to island waiting until some other player tells them they can build.

It's not attractive to new players and it's not very fair.  Everyone should get to own a piece of land to build on by virtue of having paid for the game just like everyone else.

As an interesting exercise, think of it this way -  what if only the first 1000 players got to do taming, and all the rest could only do it if one of those players gave them permission?

I understand. But we have tested those situations, haven't we? In PvE lawless lands are spill over zones and decay timers should free them up regularly.

As stated, we would open up our island, especially if we had a mechanism that helps us crontrol to whom and which part. As a risk it is similar to allowing someone to join your company, only with slightly more freedom to that person and with less risk to you.

There is the challenge of ballancing that with respect to actual population. For the moment none of the 4 official clusters has a population that comes even close to what they aspire. There are still many unclaimed islands. And there is no indication that there will be a significant influx of players.

(I speculate that when non-dedicated multiplayer arrives, quite a few 'families' will switch over to that. But even so, we should consider the scenario in whic population is 5 to 10 times bigger.)

With a bigger population there is more conflict. And in PvE we have almost no means to resolve conflict. the introduction of more economic mechanics allows us to hold up the pretence of peace as it grants power to the rich. There are quite a few 'solutions' that would make me quit official atlas and join a private cluster or just go back to my own ark servers. So I'm trying to comment constructively, even for mechanics that I do not like.

7 hours ago, Martyn said:

Pathetic.. this is why code like this has to be added.

Only then will the problem be solved.  The amount of server lag this generates is technically griefing the entire region.

I don't see the big deal, so the guy uses allot of different hunting platforms to kill stuff from different angles....

8 hours ago, [GP] Guybrush Threepwood said:

lawless islands?

i dont think lawless islands exsist anymore you can claim them now

• Like 1

Just now, Megalithic said:

i dont think lawless islands exsist anymore you can claim them now

You can't claim lawless islands. They only have island points because of the silo thing. It says so in the patch notes.

• Like 2

Theres a difference between placing a few pillers to claim ur area and mass spam.  For the latter mass griefing, there should be a more severe punishment.

You cannot blame a bad system for your own bad choices.

Edited by Martyn

6 minutes ago, [GP] Guybrush Threepwood said:

You can't claim lawless islands. They only have island points because of the silo thing. It says so in the patch notes.

False Advertiseing!

Just now, Martyn said:

theres a difference between placing a few pillers to claim ur area and mass spam.  For the latter mass griefing, there should be a more severe punishment.

So you think you can claim lawless islands now?

Just now, Megalithic said:

False Advertiseing!

What is false advertising?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wandelaar said:

I understand. But we have tested those situations, haven't we? In PvE lawless lands are spill over zones and decay timers should free them up regularly.

As stated, we would open up our island, especially if we had a mechanism that helps us crontrol to whom and which part. As a risk it is similar to allowing someone to join your company, only with slightly more freedom to that person and with less risk to you.

There is the challenge of ballancing that with respect to actual population. For the moment none of the 4 official clusters has a population that comes even close to what they aspire. There are still many unclaimed islands. And there is no indication that there will be a significant influx of players.

(I speculate that when non-dedicated multiplayer arrives, quite a few 'families' will switch over to that. But even so, we should consider the scenario in whic population is 5 to 10 times bigger.)

With a bigger population there is more conflict. And in PvE we have almost no means to resolve conflict. the introduction of more economic mechanics allows us to hold up the pretence of peace as it grants power to the rich. There are quite a few 'solutions' that would make me quit official atlas and join a private cluster or just go back to my own ark servers. So I'm trying to comment constructively, even for mechanics that I do not like.

Could be solved by white listing.

I ask for permission to build in your settlement, you add my name to your list, I spam the island, you take me off it.  I cannot build, but you cannot remove any of my items, I have 48 cooling off hours to remove my stuff.. at which point, everything I made auto demo's.

I think that'd be fair.  Then noone could spam your settlement.  Pvp rules can be adjusted.

Edited by Martyn
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, [GP] Guybrush Threepwood said:

So you think you can claim lawless islands now?

What is false advertising?

Easily, build a wall around it. Point is, I wouldn't because I don't believe in doing these things.

Edited by Martyn

I think this change was more about forcing old abandoned crap to be deleted automagically clearing space up.  People actively playing can avoid this. 

• Like 1