Sign in to follow this  
Martyn

Aww C'mon Devs..

:skull: current: v209.48 :skull:

- Fixed a bug which would cause bears and horses from not basing on ships when they had storage carts attached to their harness (this would cause them to fall off ships when sailing)
- Non Seamless Grid maps now save and load player/ship locations properly (notable on mod maps such as OceanTest)
- Stationed crew can now repair anchored boats
- Stationed Crew and Idle Crew now have the same gold cost requirements on land and on ships (Client will need to be updated to visualize this change, it's inc!)
- Fast Structure Decay is now enabled on non-snapped structures. This means that they will decay within 12 hours.

You keep doing this, I'll have nothing to complain about...

• Haha 1

I always put my unstationed crew on chairs to prevent them from repairing my ships, using up repair mats every time the planks decay by 1hp.

Seems like now I'll have to take the repair mats out to stop them.

See? You can still find things to complain about.

• Haha 1

And I always carry spare crew to continually repair my ship.. without taking them off the cannons.   Because I don't mind maintaining my ship. Now it's even better.  This is QoL improvements.

The unsnapped fix is a good fix, it'll cause us some problems, but I know how to work around it.. I don't like spam much, esp in our own company areas.  But it is necessary sometimes for short periods.  However the fix will go a long way to clear up alot of lag being generated by the insane spam on some islands.

Actually.. I will complain!! 3 patches in nearly an hour.. Guess I'm sleeping here tonight.

Edited by Martyn

Reverted the change to Stationed Crew repairing anchored boats in order to control the amount of materials that are being consumed when a boat has been anchored. Idle crew will still repair boats.

So now we have to take our crew off the cannons again? Just because a few people don't want to grind a few hundred extra resources?

2 hours ago, LinkesAuge said:

ya why not make it an option on the resource box on a ship?

Sounds like a good compromise suggestion.

They are going to fix it......it just needs to be tweaked.  We liked the change, but immediately saw the gap in its implementation and complained.  Turning it on and off sounds good, but does not fix the underlying issue in how it works.  1 metal lost every single repair.  Every time it decays 1 HP another metal lost.  We checked our ships 6 hours after this was implemented and none of our ships had metal on them and many were missing other basics.  We keep some ships stocked and ready to go for a quick reaction force, not possible with this change without a lot of extra work.  Defeats the purpose. 

Edited by DocHolliday
  • Like 3

So you're saying if you have 59 crew off the cannons they use 59 metal everytime there's a call for 1? Haven't really noticed a massive shortfall of metal.. except after repairs after a fight. (in my case sotd) and it's usually wood I'm short of.. not metal. 

11 hours ago, LinkesAuge said:

ya why not make it an option on the resource box on a ship?

That's a really good idea.. or allow us to use a lever!!

Open = Everyone off the cannons, in passive. You hear a little ding ding..

Closed = Everyone on the cannons, you hear a little ding, ding, ding..

With a switch to allow crew to repair or not.  Or allocate 1 crewmen to sweep.  Other's can Partaay!

Edited by Martyn

6 hours ago, DocHolliday said:

They are going to fix it......it just needs to be tweaked.  We liked the change, but immediately saw the gap in its implementation and complained.  Turning it on and off sounds good, but does not fix the underlying issue in how it works.  1 metal lost every single repair.  Every time it decays 1 HP another metal lost.  We checked our ships 6 hours after this was implemented and none of our ships had metal on them and many were missing other basics.  We keep some ships stocked and ready to go for a quick reaction force, not possible with this change without a lot of extra work.  Defeats the purpose. 

Aye, it's a matter of a change that'll come in time. We could put resources into creating an option or something similar now, but that'll mean pulling resources from something else. Whilst we aren't particularly fond of having too many idle crew (they're more intensive than stationed crew), it at least existed as a partial choice for players to determine when they want to repair. The good news is that the perf improvements for crew are still in, and as are the synced up costs :). We'll revisit the process in the future to further improve it.

• Thanks 3

I am so glad you guys reverted it, i was raging hard at you for its implementation.

I just use capt's orders, whistle passive.  Log out.. log in, press G which is my revert key.. puts em all back on cannons.  Unless there's been a patch.  Sail away.. after checking stock etc.

Edited by Martyn

Ok, I'm confused then, if having crew repair when on stations causes them to burn resources so fast.. why don't they burn just as fast when off stations?  When I take 6 crew off cannons to repair my anchored galleon, I come back in a couple days and there's certainly still metal in the chest.

How are ships taking damage (other than getting hit by enemies on PVP) while anchored?  Is there a new passive decay I don't know about (and I thought those places with passive decay overruled auto-repair)

6 hours ago, Archsenex said:

Ok, I'm confused then, if having crew repair when on stations causes them to burn resources so fast.. why don't they burn just as fast when off stations?  When I take 6 crew off cannons to repair my anchored galleon, I come back in a couple days and there's certainly still metal in the chest.

How are ships taking damage (other than getting hit by enemies on PVP) while anchored?  Is there a new passive decay I don't know about (and I thought those places with passive decay overruled auto-repair)

For me, it's not about taking damage while anchored, it's when I'm out exploring and gathering resources, or if I made a short run just to a neighboring island.The idle crew will repair at any eligible stop if you've got so much as a scratch, and that 5 points of damage is using up the same 1 of everything to repair as 30 or 40 or more. (It's going to vary based on Captain skills.) I'd much rather wait till I'm either back home or down by a significant amount amount of points before repairing. I stick my extra crewman in a chair to avoid this, but while the change was temporarily active, that didn't help. 

It doesn't help that on single player, where I'm playing these days, any place you can anchor, you can repair because there's no such thing as enemy territory. Some unofficials are the same way. So if I stop at 5 islands in a tile in my Brig, that's 200 metal totally wasted if I can't stop them from repairing, just on that run.

Wouldn't the easiest solution be to not let NPC's repair unless dmg is at least equal to the maximum that 1 resource can repair? That way it's not "wasted" on a single point of durablilty. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Nari said:

Wouldn't the easiest solution be to not let NPC's repair unless dmg is at least equal to the maximum that 1 resource can repair? That way it's not "wasted" on a single point of durablilty. 

Can't speak for anyone else, but I'd be okay with that. (Especially since my two levels of non-combat damage seem to be "needs one of everything" and "Oh crap I smacked into the sandbars at Freeport again. Five times.") I like the idea of automatic repair from stationed crew overall, and for me, that threshold would eliminate most of the waste.

3 hours ago, Mahnogard said:

Can't speak for anyone else, but I'd be okay with that. (Especially since my two levels of non-combat damage seem to be "needs one of everything" and "Oh crap I smacked into the sandbars at Freeport again. Five times.") I like the idea of automatic repair from stationed crew overall, and for me, that threshold would eliminate most of the waste.

I second this motion.

On 7/9/2019 at 10:56 PM, Kidori said:

I always put my unstationed crew on chairs to prevent them from repairing my ships, using up repair mats every time the planks decay by 1hp.

Seems like now I'll have to take the repair mats out to stop them.

See? You can still find things to complain about.

The should allow us more control over this.  Like a setting that allows them to repair one time, to get the ship to full health, and then they don't repair until the planks decay to a set amount.  There could be some defaults, but they could also allow a custom setting.  Like some may not want the repair to happen until the damage gets to 400, but some may be OK with 100, preferring the ship to be less damaged at all times, at the cost of more resources being used.