Sign in to follow this  
Wayken

Petition Against Vitamins

Would like to make vitamin a fun and interesting mechanic of the game not just a die from eating to much or to little. Vitamins are important in real life and having to much or to little of can uase health issues but that doesn't translate into game very fun of just dying from a lack of or overdosing from to much.

Vitamins would be a much more interesting mechanic game wise if they provide buffs and debuffs instead of killing from lack of or from overdosing.  Normal levels all Vitamins provide no buff but say above a certain higher percentage of each vitamin you received a different small buff while a lack of gives you a small debuff. Vitamin A can give you a small buff towards food/water and  vitamins draining rate while having a lack of makes them drain normal doesn't have a debuff. Vitamin B could give you a buff  to intelligence and stamina while a lack of gives a small debuff to intelligence and stamina. Vitamin C gives you a buff to fortitude  and health recharge rate while having a lack of gives you a debuff to fortitude and stamina but not a lack of recharge rates.  Vitamin D gives a small percentage to your health and weight carrying and having a lack of gives you a small reduction to weight carry but not to health.

Buffs and Debuffs in balanced  amounts that only add the equivalent of a point or two. something that is balanced out that doesn't give you a godlike powers over someone  who is low on vitamins but enough to make managing them give you a  better quality of life.

Feel free to expound upon this and add you own ideas. Could even do the Debuffs in a teir system  where the more you have the higher buffs and the less you have the higher debuffs.

• Like 2

It's good to mention that vitamin system is working so badly, that even when you're doing everything fine = you'll still probably die.
I noticed that my vitamins are going down faster and are barely regenerating when far from the land. But like in a crazy way.

After sailing to the islands not that far away I have usually my hunger all full, but my vitamins super low - despite I'm eating all the way long 4 ingredients at the time.
I quess that meant to force us to group up with a cook, who is able to make better food as better vitamins source.
But it's all almost unplayable at the start and I also died few times "working out" the system.

I agree. It's a cool feature in concept, but in practice it is pretty much annoying. Let's make it that if you lack for instance Vitamin C, you would be less resistant to environmental effect, like heatstroke, hypothermia itd. If you lack the meat vitamin, it would make you regenerate health slower, fish vitamin would make you regenerate stamina slower, and the grain one would make you do something else etc. And let's make it decay slower. Cause it's a good system, it has some potential for multiple fun ways to encourage people to mix their diet, but it shouldn't be so aggresive like that, so you would just die if you don't eat your fish for 30 minutes. That is plainly annoying.

Just flipping the vitamin system from punishing for bad vitamins to rewarding for good vitamins would be huge. You don't even need to overhaul the mechanic. Just flip it.

Check the upcoming patch notes, vitamins already do provide a buff if balanced - nobody noticed because you have to stay balanced for an hour so they are reducing that to half hour.   

I suggested they counter the buff if unbalanced so it is +/-  continuum and do away with vitamins killing you

• Like 1

I almost think if they got rid of the OD part of the vitamins it work ok. Btw devs you can not OD on vitamin C 😛

Vitamin could be a bonus not something that you always need. =)

i think in a pirate game, we don't search to survive (eat and drink), just want to hide or discover treasure, fight other boats and have fun ! ^^

So eating meat give you more strenght, vitamin speed or stamina, etc. And drinking water give you fortitude, beer more stronger but less clear-cut, etc.

Devs, make the experience better please, we don't want to waste our time to survive and we want to fight ! =D and discover things =)

We dont even bother eating anymore its easier to just die and continue on... At first we spent all our time trying to eat right, collect the right food, etc etc and realized thats all we were doing just to keep vitamins balanced and didnt have time to play the game.

I agree that buffs / debuffs would be much preferable to dying. Especially since I die and respawn so often atm, I don't usually even have to worry about food and water, much less . vitamins. But I think the whole concept of "vitamin overdose" is patently ridiculous. It's virtually impossible to overdose from vitamins from your diet. Even with vitamin suppliments it's still pretty hard to overdose. I think overdose mechanic should be taken out completely, and the vitamin deficiencies should be minor annoyance debuffs. I'm sure this whole mechanic was inspired by Scurvy, as it's the quintessential pirate affliction, but even scurvey is rarely fatal. It take SIX WEEKS without any vitamin C to kill you. Playing Atlas, one would think it's almost as critical as water, whose absence will kill you in THREE DAYS.

• Like 1

This vitamin system has to go until it is improved upon. It is way too punishing. If you eat something, you will still lack the vitamins and get sick, if you eat nothing, you'll die. So most people don't even bother eating and just die, respawn, die, respawn. Just to play the game. Especially on low level, it is impossible to take in the required amount of vitamins to stay alive unless you look hard enough. And this game is already hard as it is, considering how much materials it costs to get a sloop.

https://www.change.org/p/grapeshot-games-remove-the-vitamin-system-from-atlas-until-there-is-a-better-solution

• Confused 1

I"m ok keeping it ... but ... I'd like it nerfed a bit.
Too over-impactful to the gameplay.

I think the vitamins are a nice idea but it's overwhelming in its current implementation. In most games, food has just a single type so doesn't really add to the game. I like the idea of the vitamin system but vitamin deficiency and surplus take months to develop so should at least be slowed down to vary by game days, at least.

13 hours ago, Dags said:

I almost think if they got rid of the OD part of the vitamins it work ok. Btw devs you can not OD on vitamin C 😛

Yeah the system doesn't need to be removed, just significantly tweaked. I think it'd be fine if they slowed the rate of increase/decrease and removed death as a penalty for vitamin issues it'd be fine. You should just get buffs if you're vitamin levels are balanced and negative buffs if they aren't. Right now its just easier to die every once in a while than properly manage your vitamins. That's not very fun. 

12 hours ago, Danhimanez said:

We dont even bother eating anymore its easier to just die and continue on... At first we spent all our time trying to eat right, collect the right food, etc etc and realized thats all we were doing just to keep vitamins balanced and didnt have time to play the game.

Yup. Not sure how they didn’t see this coming.  While I was building tonight I didn’t eat at all the except for some regular meat from a few kills.  Just let myself die and respawned multiple times.  Only downside was my bed in my raft stopped working and then when I relogged it wanted me to create a new chracter again. Lmao.  Needless to say I’m done for a bit. 

Obviously its a problem, I think most players are just dying and respawning instead of actually eating food. I don't think vitamins will ever be written off as its a good idea in theory for a game of this setting. What doesn't fit with the game is the part of how much you have to eat, so often, thats where it becomes a huge problem. I've mainly been providing the food for my group. I normally have to spend an hour gathering a sufficient amount of each type of food just to provide for only 30 minutes.

I think they should decrease the food consumption/stamina regen rate. With the latest patch, the vitamen depletion is also getting another nerf, so we'll have to wait and see how that fits.

Something to add on this that I think would be fun is cosmetic buffs/debuffs. For example a lack of certain vitamins could give you a nasty skin condition for example.
Perhaps another debuff would be for your hair to fall off. Stuff like that would add some vitamin customization.
Buffs could speed up hair growth and improve skin appearance. 

Stuff like that 🙂