Tiberius_theron

Is another wipe coming in the near future?

37 minutes ago, Realist said:

secondly, if it is as easy as you say it is then why have it? If I can get gold so easily to where I don’t have to worry about it for a month??? Then why bother.

You ever hear of the concept called a Gold Sink?

It really is so easy to make gold in-game that Mats,NPC's, Cosmetics, and War Tokens, combined are not enough to remove Gold at a predictable rate. 

14 minutes ago, Nari said:

You ever hear of the concept called a Gold Sink?

It really is so easy to make gold in-game that Mats,NPC's, Cosmetics, and War Tokens, combined are not enough to remove Gold at a predictable rate. 

No. I have never heard of a gold sink. I have heard of a time sink though. Gold sink is completely foreign to me.

if we are talking time sink however, yes this company is very good at making a time sink.

this is where the game will falter very badly. Ark was already a time sink, which a lot of people were fine with(as most are with survival games). 

Atlas seems to be taking it a step further with what you call a “gold sink”. The main problem with this is that most people are willing to put in the time to play how they want. A gold sink seems to be being forced to play they game how the devs want. Really don’t see that as being a good idea because it isn’t.

the gold sink is the problem. The time sink is not. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Realist

14 minutes ago, Realist said:

No. I have never heard of a gold sink. I have heard of a time sink though. Gold sink I completely foreign to me.

I'll save you the Google: Gold sink is an economic process by which a video game's in-game currency ('gold'), or any item that can be valued against it, is removed. This process is comparable to financial repression in real economies.

Every action that the player can take to generate currency needs to be accounted for for economical purposes. You complain about the time sink for a months worth of gold but fail to consider the value of that gold to the player. Supply & Demand. Inflation, Depreciation. Any of these terms ringing a bell?

Edited by Nari

1 hour ago, Realist said:

Says the guy that pretends to have hundreds of tames in ARK and the meat and berry sink that comes with it... 🙄
So please start complaining already how the berry sink - along with the gold sink - for the NPC crews in Atlas is the problem...🤔
So when you ever will play Atlas in the distant future, you don't have to feed the hundreds of Atlas tames that you promised you will have...
Along with your no-gold-cost NPCs on your guns, so they are like the hundreds of Auto-Turrets you pretend you have in ARK, which had only a minor fuel sink, that allowed you to spam them, because they were build-and-forget for you, while NPCs in Atlas are not...😱

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Realist said:

No. I have never heard of a gold sink. I have heard of a time sink though. Gold sink is completely foreign to me.

if we are talking time sink however, yes this company is very good at making a time sink.

this is where the game will falter very badly. Ark was already a time sink, which a lot of people were fine with(as most are with survival games). 

Atlas seems to be taking it a step further with what you call a “gold sink”. The main problem with this is that most people are willing to put in the time to play how they want. A gold sink seems to be being forced to play they game how the devs want. Really don’t see that as being a good idea because it isn’t.

All games with a currency created out of thin air must have gold sinks otherwise there is just never ending inflation. Imagine if the US Treasury dept just kept printing new money every single day and never taking any of the old out of circulation. Pretty soon milk would be 20 bucks a gallon, then 40, then 60, etc etc. This destroys purchasing power and renders saving useless.

Gold sinks aren’t optional. They are completely necessary.

4 hours ago, Realist said:

Not even going to touch the 200% thing.

first off, I don’t want island upkeep. I already had to keep gas in generators. I am good.

secondly, if it is as easy as you say it is then why have it? If I can get gold so easily to where I don’t have to worry about it for a month??? Then why bother.

i don’t mind grinding, but I will grind for what I want to grind. Not what they want me to grind for. This isn’t even a matter of gas in a generator.

lastly, so even if I bought the game and played 10 plus hours a day, you have decided that it would take 3 months for me to have an opinion on the game?

yeah, no wonder this forum is the way it is. I could buy a pc and have an opinion in a day but “hey, you haven’t played for 3 months, so you don’t know anything”.

yeah I will just wait for console release. 

P.s. time to get rid of claims

Get Gold is really not a big thing. Each time I travel 3...5 grids and dive for the shipwrecks, I get 1000g or more. A treasure map after 4 grids get 600+ gold. 

so if u decide to do some maps in a evening (for xp, gold or s.e.) u get around 2000...3000g from traveling over and back, another 5000...10k g from the maps and the evening is done. 

With three islands we have to pay ~ 1500g/day. Now imagine, if you are in a company with 5+ members, this is really not a big deal. Go out 1...2h for hunting whales gives you another 2000....5000g.

If you don't have 200mates on a island and another 200...300 on your ships, u don't get problems so far. 

If you wanna do it all alone, so you need a lot of time to handle all the stuff. Get gold, get food for all the mates and tames, produce fertilizer on all of your farms (usually not all seeds grow in every biome), check all your fast traveling spots, move all your ships because of decay timers and lot more stuff to do that the wheels keep on turning. 

For a casual gamer who go out for working, get a family at home and needs to sleep too, it's a lot of work and there's not much time to travel around just for hunting discoveries or bosses. As a workless duchebag without friends and family it's not a big deal. Playing 10+h a day and you can achieve anything way faster.

That's why it's a mmo. So you can split all the stuff who's to do and enjoy much more the other content (waiting 4h for a spawn of a Squid or Tortuga a.e.).

This game is not plug and play. Start the game, take your ship and 5mins later you're in a epic naval fight. And I hope it will never be like that. 

If you visit Switzerland once I will invite you. You can sit at my PC and play a hole week if you want or longer. You would be impressed, how huge atlas is and how many stuff is to do. And the devs want it that way. U should come online to feed and pay your stuff and force u to play that way. That should keep you playing.

so if u decide to do some maps in a evening (for xp, gold or s.e.) u get around 2000...3000g from traveling over and back, another 5000...10k g from the maps and the evening is done.

The problem is traveling, its SUPER BORING, its interesting in a first few trips, than its super boring cause with the fastest ship traveling to lets say 4 grids farther than yours, it take like 40 minutes. Thats a lot, you just stare in fron of monitor, watching if Ghost Ships are in front of you, thats all.

It would be more interesting if i would see a lot of whales, ships traveling from freeport to freeport and i say more than 1, 6/7 ships, ARMADA it is called ? NPC PIrates, whatever. Just sailing have to be more interesting. And maybe a little bit faster. 

3 minutes ago, Cascco said:

The problem is traveling, its SUPER BORING, its interesting in a first few trips, than its super boring cause with the fastest ship traveling to lets say 4 grids farther than yours, it take like 40 minutes. Thats a lot, you just stare in fron of monitor, watching if Ghost Ships are in front of you, thats all.

It would be more interesting if i would see a lot of whales, ships traveling from freeport to freeport and i say more than 1, 6/7 ships, ARMADA it is called ? NPC PIrates, whatever. Just sailing have to be more interesting. And maybe a little bit faster. 

That's why I collect shipwrecks and fight the sod on my trip. 

boring it's when I just want to bring resources from A to B. With a way slower galleon because of the cargo containers. Or if you get so much gold, that u don't have to take care of the wrecks. There and over all it would help to fix the speedsail-bug. Improved speedsails still don't work.

I relax while sailing, i am in voice, scan discord, from time to time i hook a flaotsome while doing it. Sometimes i even have something to repair.

I also tent to clean up my breeding tables while i sail, or do other tasks.

For longer trading trips i wait for perfect wind, so i go 8 grids diagonal in <1,5 hours. Ship is stipped down, fully weight skilled and racks are used tactical.

With fixed speedsails you would have to avoid some grids, you would be unable to steer between the islands (B8 and lookslike) i guess. With a galleon that is.

1 hour ago, Cascco said:

Thats a lot, you just stare in fron of monitor, watching if Ghost Ships are in front of you, thats all.
And maybe a little bit faster. 

Take an NPC and put it on the wheel and whistle the course, put your water barrel at the front and jump on it with a grappling hook pickup flotsam solo without stopping...
Makes way more Gold and food for the trip, also some BP...

Also how about you make a fast ship... a brig with bare bones (no cannons as anyone with cannons will be slower anyway) ~3000 units goes like 90% (more with skill in weight) max speed aka ludicrous speed...

And when you hit a speed bump with that you will understand why there is a upper speed limit... as you not take damage in the front but in the middle/rear planks... too fast for the server to calculate the impact correctly... 😲

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Nari said:

I'll save you the Google: Gold sink is an economic process by which a video game's in-game currency ('gold'), or any item that can be valued against it, is removed. This process is comparable to financial repression in real economies.

Every action that the player can take to generate currency needs to be accounted for for economical purposes. You complain about the time sink for a months worth of gold but fail to consider the value of that gold to the player. Supply & Demand. Inflation, Depreciation. Any of these terms ringing a bell?

Yeah I totally get you. The thing is there is just upkeep. Without an economy or trade system non of that will happen.

ok, let me be more clear. Until there actually is an economy or a trade system there is no point to gold. All you have is upkeep right now so right now it is just needed.

3 hours ago, boomervoncannon said:

All games with a currency created out of thin air must have gold sinks otherwise there is just never ending inflation. Imagine if the US Treasury dept just kept printing new money every single day and never taking any of the old out of circulation. Pretty soon milk would be 20 bucks a gallon, then 40, then 60, etc etc. This destroys purchasing power and renders saving useless.

Gold sinks aren’t optional. They are completely necessary.

I agree boomer. There just isn’t a system in place to worry about inflation. If there was then it would be awesome. As of right now there isn’t so as of right now o don’t see the point.

adding gold without an economy set up is kind of like what they did with ark. They had all of these super expensive blueprints that could not be made on a smithy. For a long time people wondered why they bothered putting them in the game. After a long time they made the tek replicator which allowed them to make the blueprints. People still wondered why they put them in ahead of its time.

the point of that is as of “right now” I don’t see the point. If later on they manage to create a cool trade system and booming economy then sure I’ll will like it. Right now there seems to be no point but upkeep and time sink

• Confused 1

Right now there seems to be no point but upkeep and time sink

So better also get rid of resource farming?

I mean, resources are only there to build stuff, there is no economy, so why have it...
Just spawn all stuff in you want...

Would also solve the problem of why people want to destroy your stuff... if it is worthless, destroying it is worthless...
Hell farming resources to build stuff, so we can wipe your stuff is then also worthless...

And don't forget that taming and breeding also has no economic value... so best just spawn in the lvl 150 perfect tame and be done with it...

Obviously you don't get it, as you does not play any of this type of games, like Atlas ARK and Co., unless you have access to admin commands... 😏

Let me guess, in your ARK private server you switched need for fuel off... no "need" to maintain your AutoTurret wall of death...🙄

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Sheepshooter said:

So better also get rid of resource farming?

I mean, resources are only there to build stuff, there is no economy, so why have it...
Just spawn all stuff in you want...

Would also solve the problem of why people want to destroy your stuff... if it is worthless, destroying it is worthless...
Hell farming resources to build stuff, so we can wipe your stuff is then also worthless...

And don't forget that taming and breeding also has no economic value... so best just spawn in the lvl 150 perfect tame and be done with it...

Obviously you don't get it, as you does not play any of this type of games, like Atlas ARK and Co., unless you have access to admin commands... 😏

Let me guess, in your ARK private server you switched need for fuel off... no "need" to maintain your AutoTurret wall of death...🙄

Nope. Never played pve or unofficial or single player in ark. All types of pvp. Official/small tribe/no tame/hardcore servers.

abd I have played a lot of survival games. The only reason I haven’t played this one because it hasn’t came out on console yet.

what point were you trying to make? Of course you build a base. Economy has nothing to do with your base. It’s a pvp game, you need a base. A base could never be worthless because it serves a purpose.

right now gold upkeep only has one purpose. Time sink.

I agree boomer. There just isn’t a system in place to worry about inflation. If there was then it would be awesome. As of right now there isn’t so as of right now o don’t see the point.

This is why people think you're a damn troll Realist...

Edited by Nari

3 hours ago, Realist said:

I agree boomer. There just isn’t a system in place to worry about inflation. If there was then it would be awesome. As of right now there isn’t so as of right now o don’t see the point.

adding gold without an economy set up is kind of like what they did with ark. They had all of these super expensive blueprints that could not be made on a smithy. For a long time people wondered why they bothered putting them in the game. After a long time they made the tek replicator which allowed them to make the blueprints. People still wondered why they put them in ahead of its time.

the point of that is as of “right now” I don’t see the point. If later on they manage to create a cool trade system and booming economy then sure I’ll will like it. Right now there seems to be no point but upkeep and time sink

Don’t make me give you an economics lecture. I will turn this forum right around and drive it straight home and some other gamer will get to play Atlas instead.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Realist said:

Nope. Never played pve or unofficial or single player in ark. All types of pvp. Official/small tribe/no tame/hardcore servers.

abd I have played a lot of survival games. The only reason I haven’t played this one because it hasn’t came out on console yet.

what point were you trying to make? Of course you build a base. Economy has nothing to do with your base. It’s a pvp game, you need a base. A base could never be worthless because it serves a purpose.

I see you have a lot of experience in this forum... even though you don't have the game.   Is there a block option? Can you test it out by blocking me? I just don't like scrolling through irrelevant stuff. 

3 hours ago, Tanchyon said:

I see you have a lot of experience in this forum... even though you don't have the game.   Is there a block option? Can you test it out by blocking me? I just don't like scrolling through irrelevant stuff. 

No, I don’t block anyone. You can feel free to block me though. Not sure why people quote me if they don’t want to talon to me.lol no excuse really

They opted for in indirect wipe by making sure more and more players quit over their "design" decisions. Seems to work.

17 hours ago, Realist said:

LOL... thanks for making two points for us...

1. Why you even build a PVP base, if your preferred survival game mechanic would have no sinks and you like to spawn everything in effortlessly - making everything worthless to begin with?
Why would we - that actually play this games - would
1) attack your stuff, if you can just spawn your "loss" back in instantly?
2) even play your distorted idea of a survival game, where you made any survival and PVP mechanic not non-existent?

With your preferred changes this game would only be a adventure game - with the very limited adventure side it has currently - where you 'redo from start' when you fail at a quest...
Hell, there is even a cheat command for you to spawn in a gally, so you don't have to sink down to the survival element and just attack the Kraken adventure again and again...

2. That you never ever played survival games at all - unless with 'cheat god'...
You want a sandbox game, not a survival game...

4 hours ago, Sheepshooter said:

LOL... thanks for making two points for us...

1. Why you even build a PVP base, if your preferred survival game mechanic would have no sinks and you like to spawn everything in effortlessly - making everything worthless to begin with?
Why would we - that actually play this games - would
1) attack your stuff, if you can just spawn your "loss" back in instantly?
2) even play your distorted idea of a survival game, where you made any survival and PVP mechanic not non-existent?

With your preferred changes this game would only be a adventure game - with the very limited adventure side it has currently - where you 'redo from start' when you fail at a quest...
Hell, there is even a cheat command for you to spawn in a gally, so you don't have to sink down to the survival element and just attack the Kraken adventure again and again...

2. That you never ever played survival games at all - unless with 'cheat god'...
You want a sandbox game, not a survival game...

Man I have no clue what you are talking about. Are you repeatedly suggesting that I play single player? I can sure you I never play single player.

and I far as time sinks go I don’t mind them as long as they are worth it. Resource farming is definitely worth it. To me a gold sink is not worth it. All I played was pvp in ark and I enjoyed the time sink. I really don’t want to have to worry about upkeep of a claim.

it seems like you are talking to a completely different person right now.

On 7/13/2019 at 2:38 PM, Realist said:

Man I have no clue what you are talking about.

quod erat demonstrandum... 🤔 thanks for confirming you know nothing about games like ARK and Atlas... troll...

btw Gold in Atlas is a worthwhile resource - keeping defenses going, crews on ships, claims claimed, occasional costumes or tamed Drake...
btw. Gold has to be farmed like any other resources...

but you have no clue about resource farming and the time sink of it... 🙄

or are you still pissed - which you would have known if you would have played this type of game before - that you will not have your giant, hundreds of tames, solo-base protected by hundreds of guns and ships with crew... because you should not be "forced" to farm the gold needed (or maybe build smaller bases and fewer ships?) for that, because it would cost you more and more time (aka "sink") just to maintain your fantasy...? 😱

39 minutes ago, Sheepshooter said:

quod erat demonstrandum... 🤔 thanks for confirming you know nothing about games like ARK and Atlas... troll...

btw Gold in Atlas is a worthwhile resource - keeping defenses going, crews on ships, claims claimed, occasional costumes or tamed Drake...
btw. Gold has to be farmed like any other resources...

but you have no clue about resource farming and the time sink of it... 🙄

or are you still pissed - which you would have known if you would have played this type of game before - that you will not have your giant, hundreds of tames, solo-base protected by hundreds of guns and ships with crew... because you should not be "forced" to farm the gold needed (or maybe build smaller bases and fewer ships?) for that, because it would cost you more and more time (aka "sink") just to maintain your fantasy...? 😱

Ok sure buddy. I know nothing about ark lol. I am just going to leave this one alone. Smh 

18 minutes ago, Realist said:

Ok sure buddy. I know nothing about ark lol. I am just going to leave this one alone. Smh 

Maybe you do, regardless that knowledge does not translate to Atlas as cleanly as you would like to believe. Your ignorance is painfully obvious to anyone who actually plays the game.

Gold is meh. You can get it easy from trading + maps.

And yes, sailing is boring, but you have time to organize tame sheets, discord work, videos etc.

I think a good option is to improve the npc "use wheel" option. Like a "good" auto pilot.