Tiberius_theron

Is another wipe coming in the near future?

There's only one of each server per region. They're not going to merge regions 😆

46 minutes ago, Nari said:

There's only one of each server per region. They're not going to merge regions 😆

Shhhh. You’re making too much sense.

Of course another wipe is coming!

This is an early access game!

We are all beta testers.  

Wipes are good and starting over is part of the fun!

Edited by Captain Stabbin

23 hours ago, Captain Stabbin said:

Of course another wipe is coming!

This is an early access game!

We are all beta testers.  

Wipes are good and starting over is part of the fun!

Not to nitpick here, but we are NOT beta testers and I wish people would stop conflating the two. Beta testers are paid employees, you and I are paying customers. We get to play and therefore test whatever part of the game we choose, beta testers are assigned highly specific tasks to test specific game components. The two are not interchangeable terms because there are meaningful differences.

The gaming industry would love for you and I to think of ourselves as beta testers because if we do so, they have succeeded in turning what was once a cost center for them into a profit center. This is highly beneficial to them, whether it is beneficial to you and I is highly debatable and I’m inclined to say mostly net negative.

Edited by boomervoncannon

8 hours ago, boomervoncannon said:

Not to nitpick here, but we are NOT beta testers and I wish people would stop conflating the two. Beta testers are paid employees, you and I are paying customers. We get to play and therefore test whatever part of the game we choose, beta testers are assigned highly specific tasks to test specific game components. The two are not interchangeable terms because there are meaningful differences.

The gaming industry would love for you and I to think of ourselves as beta testers because if we do so, they have succeeded in turning what was once a cost center for them into a profit center. This is highly beneficial to them, whether it is beneficial to you and I is highly debatable and I’m inclined to say mostly net negative.

Not sure how long you have played games like this but keep telling yourself this at least it’s a positive outlook!

👍

54 minutes ago, Captain Stabbin said:

Not sure how long you have played games like this but keep telling yourself this at least it’s a positive outlook!

👍

4k hours in Ark, been playing MMO and other online games since 2004, watched the industry change over time from paid beta testers who were responsible for product testing and closed and open betas for players that were intended to kick the tires so to speak, to the current popular model of put something out that might be a nearly finished product that just needs a little polish (Satisfactory) to launching a barely playable thing you haven't even fully figured out your design concept for and seem to be making up as you go on the fly (Atlas), both marketed as Early Access. Yes I'm familiar with the industries history and what came before.

2004 long enough for you?

On 7/6/2019 at 5:52 AM, Tiberius_theron said:

Is another wipe coming in the near future? Or was it simply the one wipe to stop the minority of vocal cry babies? We're considering returning soon, so need to know.

Oooo, pretty sure the changes weren’t for the minority 😂 I live the term the vocal minority. In this case the vocal minority is the people of the forums.

since people on here like to keep saying “things are fine the way they are” I am pretty sure that is what you call the vocal minority.

there is only one thing that is for certain. Fresh new servers or a wipe is literally the only way to bring people back or get people to come in. As it stands right now the only thing that brought an increase in numbers was the wipe itself.

sure some would say the reason for the low numbers was that a wipe was coming, but with the very close future of pre wipe numbers approaches, any argument like that wouldn’t be a strong one.

i actually had one guy tell me that the low numbers were because it was summer vacation lol. Guess he doesn’t realize numbers are supposed to increase at these times of the year.

lets face it. Most people that play these games aren’t going to go to the beach instead of play the game. That isn’t meant to be insulting to anyone but just a simple reality check. This game demands time that people don’t have when they work. They aren’t going to waste(sarcastic) their vacation time to go out and enjoy the world.

so yes, either a server merge/wipe/fresh server will end up happening. Not saying it will be soon but if they still have a year and a half of ea I would definitely bet money on it.

We won't be returning until they commit to no more wipes, we don't have time to waste especially when there are plenty of other games we can play where we get to keep our progress. 

"we don't have time to waste" 😂😂😂😂

made my day!!

Why are you playing a videogame? To fu*king waste time! To dive into reality-loss, shut down the world around you and enjoy a total different world where u can be or do everything you want.

It's not a job. You don't earn money or something else. You can't buy lunch from gaming videogames (maybe one of a million can...).

Think about that...

4 hours ago, Tanchyon said:

We won't be returning until they commit to no more wipes, we don't have time to waste especially when there are plenty of other games we can play where we get to keep our progress. 

They can't commit to no more wipes until the game is official launched out of EA. So you'll be waiting until 2020 or 2021.

8 hours ago, Tanchyon said:

That would be impossible to commit to something like that. And I still think it was unethical for them to not do an official wipe on the official release of ark. 

They said they learned from their mistakes so let’s see if they did. And if they did there will definitely be a wipe on the official release of atlas.

the idea that people think they should keep everything from early access is just stupid. Once a game release is should be a fresh game no matter what.

10 hours ago, Tanchyon said:

Your statement is an admission you didn't fundamentally understand the nature of Early Access, since Early Access is access to a game still under development and wipes are a perfectly valid part of the development process. To be fair, some of the responsibility for your lack of understanding lies with the industry, which so far has chosen not to clearly define to the consumer what Early Access is or set standards for what qualifies a game for Early Access status.  Thus you as the consumer are left with the Early Access label slapped across products of wildly varying levels of completion and quality.

Given that you are not the first nor the hundredth person to post here making this complaint, I would suggest part of the level of transparency companies should seek when using the early access model is to clearly state upfront before a consumer purchases the game that wipes are a possibility in this Early Access game. Given the significant backlash Atlas has experienced over this, I think this would be a prudent move on GrapeCard™ and other developers part even though some of the responsibility for understanding what you were purchasing lies with you.

@Jatheish do you think Jeremy and Jess would agree this is an advisable best practice going forward, or would they prefer for many players to continue to quit in frustration because GrapeCard™ chose to be part of the problem where EA is concerned rather than part of the solution?

5 hours ago, boomervoncannon said:

Your statement is an admission you didn't fundamentally understand the nature of Early Access, since Early Access is access to a game still under development and wipes are a perfectly valid part of the development process. To be fair, some of the responsibility for your lack of understanding lies with the industry, which so far has chosen not to clearly define to the consumer what Early Access is or set standards for what qualifies a game for Early Access status.  Thus you as the consumer are left with the Early Access label slapped across products of wildly varying levels of completion and quality.

Given that you are not the first nor the hundredth person to post here making this complaint, I would suggest part of the level of transparency companies should seek when using the early access model is to clearly state upfront before a consumer purchases the game that wipes are a possibility in this Early Access game. Given the significant backlash Atlas has experienced over this, I think this would be a prudent move on GrapeCard™ and other developers part even though some of the responsibility for understanding what you were purchasing lies with you.

@Jatheish do you think Jeremy and Jess would agree this is an advisable best practice going forward, or would they prefer for many players to continue to quit in frustration because GrapeCard™ chose to be part of the problem where EA is concerned rather than part of the solution?

Don’t forget there has to be a wipe when the game comes out of early access. That is the ethical thing to do. When games get released they are fresh. 

They did not do this with ark which is one of the main reasons for my thoughts towards them.

8 minutes ago, Realist said:

Don’t forget there has to be a wipe when the game comes out of early access. That is the ethical thing to do. When games get released they are fresh. 

They did not do this with ark which is one of the main reasons for my thoughts towards them.

I agree there should be a wipe at game launch. This is only fair to people joining at that time. As someone participating in Early Access, I expect the advantage I receive from participating to consist of game knowledge, not an established base, character, games, ships etc.

A minor point, it’s not that Ark did no wipe at launch. They designated certain servers legacy servers and didn’t wipe, but also made it clear those servers would receive no gm support going forward. Most of Ark’s officials were fresh wipe at launch, which became a further moot point as Ark grew to 50k unofficial compared to 1k official servers.

• Like 1

I also agree that wipe on realase day is more than expected but if they will include in a couple of few weeks new gameplay mechanic ,claiming or fresh new PvP system , than a new wipe also have to be done cause new players and the old ones will come and again we can report bugs. For now look at PvP server, more than 60% Islands are free and ne wone comes, before wipe we all wanted to have our own Island, now there is more than a plenty free Islands, now we just need more players and new content to encourage new ppl.

Reasuming all points, there have to be new major changes and new fresh start with it.

Do you know who is still playing on PvP servers ? Hardcore players from "non stop pvp servers" (ARK players) or lucky bastards who have ally with big ones or just lucky bastards. Most of us left game cause there wasnt much to do, well yes there is but what i mean they coudlnt do what they wanted like, trading, or making big trading Company. Other left game cause they were to greedy on PvP and they aatcked bigger ones, they lost Islands , Ships and they gave up, some ppl lost Animals cause of greefers using bugs with treasure maps (spawning agro NPC inside of animals stable). In the end only some hardcore PvP players will be online but not to long cause there will be nobody to raid.

Whats the solution for this problem? Totally new gameplay mechanic and we are gooing at the begining....

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Cascco said:

I also agree that wipe on realase day is more than expected but if they will include in a couple of few weeks new gameplay mechanic ,claiming or fresh new PvP system , than a new wipe also have to be done cause new players and the old ones will come and again we can report bugs. For now look at PvP server, more than 60% Islands are free and ne wone comes, before wipe we all wanted to have our own Island, now there is more than a plenty free Islands, now we just need more players and new content to encourage new ppl.

Reasuming all points, there have to be new major changes and new fresh start with it.

Do you know who is still playing on PvP servers ? Hardcore players from "non stop pvp servers" (ARK players) or lucky bastards who have ally with big ones or just lucky bastards. Most of us left game cause there wasnt much to do, well yes there is but what i mean they coudlnt do what they wanted like, trading, or making big trading Company. Other left game cause they were to greedy on PvP and they aatcked bigger ones, they lost Islands , Ships and they gave up, some ppl lost Animals cause of greefers using bugs with treasure maps (spawning agro NPC inside of animals stable). In the end only some hardcore PvP players will be online but not to long cause there will be nobody to raid.

Whats the solution for this problem? Totally new gameplay mechanic and we are gooing at the begining....

One of the main problems is the island upkeep. It is a very bad design. 

Dont listen to people that say the upkeep is easy. It is just not wanted, very simple. Don’t matter how easy it is.

that is what you call forced content. Island upkeep isn’t even end game. I completely understand end game walls but yet even being able to simply call something your own beings forced actions. It is just stupid.

6 hours ago, boomervoncannon said:

I agree there should be a wipe at game launch. This is only fair to people joining at that time. As someone participating in Early Access, I expect the advantage I receive from participating to consist of game knowledge, not an established base, character, games, ships etc.

A minor point, it’s not that Ark did no wipe at launch. They designated certain servers legacy servers and didn’t wipe, but also made it clear those servers would receive no gm support going forward. Most of Ark’s officials were fresh wipe at launch, which became a further moot point as Ark grew to 50k unofficial compared to 1k official servers.

Yep. And believe me the game knowledge is a very big advantage already. I could get from 1-80 in a few hours. Especially on the island.

for the second part, yeah man I get what they did but they left a bad taste for a lot of people. Not just that but there is only 4 clusters this time. Are they going to make 4 new clusters or just wipe? And if they don’t actually make the 8 total clusters for new and legacy are they just going to leave things as is?

they tried to please everyone which I am pretty sure a smart guy like you knows that will never work. Always go off what the majority wants and not the minority.

i think you know where I am going with this. The minority is the people saying “the game is fine the way it is”. It just isn’t.

13 hours ago, boomervoncannon said:

I'm just using my experiences with Ark as the base for my knowledge on the issue

26 minutes ago, Realist said:

Yep. And believe me the game knowledge is a very big advantage already. I could get from 1-80 in a few hours. Especially on the island.

for the second part, yeah man I get what they did but they left a bad taste for a lot of people. Not just that but there is only 4 clusters this time. Are they going to make 4 new clusters or just wipe? And if they don’t actually make the 8 total clusters for new and legacy are they just going to leave things as is?

they tried to please everyone which I am pretty sure a smart guy like you knows that will never work. Always go off what the majority wants and not the minority.

i think you know where I am going with this. The minority is the people saying “the game is fine the way it is”. It just isn’t.

Wait, aren't you the person who doesn't even have the game?

11 minutes ago, Tanchyon said:

I'm just using my experiences with Ark as the base for my knowledge on the issue.

That’s okay I’m just using your post as a platform to talk about one of my pet peeves with the industry,😬an issue that Atlas seems determined to make itself some sort of poster child for. If this industry doesn’t learn that there’s a potentially huge downside to abusing the EA concept at its customers expense, it may wind up learning the hard way that video games are the definition of a luxury good, no one has to play them.

22 minutes ago, Tanchyon said:

Wait, aren't you the person who doesn't even have the game?

Really doesn’t matter dude, sorry to tell you 😂

If you really look at what you quoted me on I was mainly talking about ark and wildcard which I have a lot of experience with.

the only thing I speculated on was what they might do with atlas and regardless of how many hours anyone has played atlas all they can do is speculate like I am lmao.

this one was pretty bad for the “you don’t play posts” lol

12 minutes ago, Polar Express said:

Id love a wipe. Wipe every 2-3 months. 

This game needs wipes often. Wipes are great.

They tend be be. Like when they called it season 1. What happens after a season ends. It starts all over. Makes perfect sense

3 hours ago, Realist said:

One of the main problems is the island upkeep. It is a very bad design. 

Dont listen to people that say the upkeep is easy. It is just not wanted, very simple. Don’t matter how easy it is.

that is what you call forced content. Island upkeep isn’t even end game. I completely understand end game walls but yet even being able to simply call something your own beings forced actions. It is just stupid.

Realist, island upkeep is really not a big thing. U have to deal with it once in a month maybe. But how should u know it? 

And as a dev, I would do some forced content too. U have to keep the players playing, because it's your bread as a dev. As simple as that...

And still stop talking about improving something u don't know. Always funny if u talk about the game and some mechanics. And if I'm in the game it's 200% different from what u think about it is.

Play the game for around three months and maybe u will understand it better then.

8 minutes ago, Forb Hidden said:

Realist, island upkeep is really not a big thing. U have to deal with it once in a month maybe. But how should u know it? 

And as a dev, I would do some forced content too. U have to keep the players playing, because it's your bread as a dev. As simple as that...

And still stop talking about improving something u don't know. Always funny if u talk about the game and some mechanics. And if I'm in the game it's 200% different from what u think about it is.

Play the game for around three months and maybe u will understand it better then.

Not even going to touch the 200% thing.

first off, I don’t want island upkeep. I already had to keep gas in generators. I am good.

secondly, if it is as easy as you say it is then why have it? If I can get gold so easily to where I don’t have to worry about it for a month??? Then why bother.

i don’t mind grinding, but I will grind for what I want to grind. Not what they want me to grind for. This isn’t even a matter of gas in a generator.

lastly, so even if I bought the game and played 10 plus hours a day, you have decided that it would take 3 months for me to have an opinion on the game?

yeah, no wonder this forum is the way it is. I could buy a pc and have an opinion in a day but “hey, you haven’t played for 3 months, so you don’t know anything”.

yeah I will just wait for console release. 

P.s. time to get rid of claims