Tiberius_theron

Is another wipe coming in the near future?

Is another wipe coming in the near future? Or was it simply the one wipe to stop the minority of vocal cry babies? We're considering returning soon, so need to know.

Edited by Tiberius_theron

6 minutes ago, Tiberius_theron said:

Is another wipe coming in the near future?

Nothing has been confirmed either way.

Or was it simply the one wipe to stop the minority of vocal cry babies?

The one wipe was due to the major claim overhaul. That wasn't a minority issue of cry babies it was a necessary evil.

We're considering returning soon, so need to know.

You won't get a definitive answer whilst the game remains in EA. Having said that I suspect wipes are last resort actions for the Devs.

Wipes are possible, but there is nothing in the communication from the devs that even implies a wipe is impending. I am under the impression the biggest reason for the previous wipe was the need to rework the claim system and test it with a clean slate. That does not currently seem to be a pressing issue so if I were to offer my best guess it would be that I don’t see a wipe coming down the pipe. However my handwritten invitation to staff meetings at GrapeCard seems to have gotten lost in the mail, so that prediction does come with my personal guarantee..

Boomer’s guarantee: All predictions wrong or your money back.

• Thanks 1

I'd put money on there being another wipe yes possibly more than 1. The question is when? I think you will get another couple of months out of it before another wipe comes, just my guess though.

17 minutes ago, Tiberius_theron said:

@boomervoncannon Is the game worth coming back too? In your honest opinion? You are the only voice I trust on these forums. 

*sighs*;

That is a tricky question. On the one hand the game still has significant shortcomings and I’m not at all convinced this development team has a solid grasp of MMO design. At this point I am dubious the game will ever be a strong performer playerbase wise, which is an important factor for several aspects of MMORPG design like economy and team formation (aspects which are stillborn in Atlas). But in some meaningful ways it has improved noticeably since you left.

They’ve fixed a lot of bugs and made things run smoother. The huge drop in activity means elbow room for base locations is no longer an issue. Grieving seems to be way down. They might not be making brilliant design decisions but they are by no means sitting on their thumbs, and atm they seem very responsive to what players want.

At the end of the day I can say that I also took a break and upon returning liked the game’s changes well enough to lure sucker invite a coworker to play with me and he seems to enjoy it. (He’s only about ten hours into the game and already tinkering with breeding)

Edited by boomervoncannon
  • Thanks 1

They are right now playing with changes to the claim dynamic and more so the conquering of claims and most likely land PVP in general.
Subtle changes are visible, like that lawless islands have claim values now already - not yet claimable...

Also as they said, the claim flag height thing a few days ago goes in the direction of making land PVP more fair ~ costing the attacker more than the defender hopefully.
Problem with that they tried to make the easy changes first - make flags reachable from the ground - with that taking away the only real defense that is available with the OP attacker PVP.
Can lower the flag height when you can defend ground level flags, not before - or they will loose many more of the player base which they cannot afford anymore...

I hope they do go in the right direction behind the scenes.
It is the same with the lower aggro range of the SOTD, were it is difficult to keep aggro and not get hit while you shoot them with the back cannons.
Hope that is related to getting new ship designs and systems were we finally get realistic ships with 'only' gun port cannons and some skill in ship combat.
And that would be a waste of devs time, if the ships still get sunk in harbor while offline, keeping more ship to ship battles (or any other use of ships) out of the question, for the vast majority of - casual - players...

They would need to make a wipe if they reach a point were they could not take legacy things out of the game, but need to get rid of them, because under a new game mechanic they would be OP. They did do it without a wipe, with the large cannon change.
The other option for a wipe - which is the reason for Tiberius question here - for the devs is to use it as a kind of promotion for everyone that left the game to say 'hey come back, it is all new now, please'... I find this the most likely scenario...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sheepshooter said:

Subtle changes are visible, like that lawless islands have claim values now already - not yet claimable...

No need to read between the lines when they spell it out for you. "- New placeable land structure 'Crew Resources Silo' which allows storage of food and gold to feed crew. Note this will also function on lawless servers, but to do so we've had to have them display island points on the map, however they still will not be able to be claimed." I don't see any signs of another wipe in the near future, and I highly doubt they will use a wipe as means to get people to come back, but you never know. If you're afraid of wipes OP just wait for release.

• Like 1

Wipe will come when server populations get so low they need to be combined...like they do now. I bet 10 shiny gold pieces we get a server combine and wipe but get to keep our characters in the next 6 months.

1 minute ago, Skinner NA PVE said:

Wipe will come when server populations get so low they need to be combined...like they do now. I bet 10 shiny gold pieces we get a server combine and wipe but get to keep our characters in the next 6 months.

I’ll take that bet but instead of doubloons I will put up my mythic quality speed sail bp’s.

Please do another wipe !

I need to clean up my disk space , with both ark and atlas installed it already took more than 300+ GB .

That 's way more than my hidden !@#$ collection

Edited by kampfer91

Game could do with another wipe, just to remove all the cheats. Put them all back to the same difficulty as everyone starting now has to deal with.

Right now there is no Need to wipe And Not in the near Future. I would still expect atleast 1-2 before release. They will only wipe as a last Resort.

On 7/6/2019 at 4:21 PM, Sheepshooter said:

They are right now playing with changes to the claim dynamic and more so the conquering of claims and most likely land PVP in general.

if u read the notes the only way the silos would work on lawless was to have claim points enabled , nothing to do with claim changes incoming ....

On 7/6/2019 at 10:56 PM, Skinner NA PVE said:

When they combine, they confirm dead game! It will not happen.

Why is it important for you to keep the character when a wipe happens?

People wanted the previous wipe because of the mess of the claim system, they couldn't get their own land and the cheats, so why do people want wipe now? What will a wipe do that would be good for the game (i.e. not good personally for you)?

• Thanks 1

Until there is some sort of trading and interaction on PvE I won't be coming back to it. They have pushed almost all of the smaller companies out, most of the people I know in PvE have gone and so did I eventually.

I think the player shops was a bad idea, they could have had a couple of NPC in freeport to access a menu to your shop instead of having them tucked away where you can't see them on islands. Making everyone goto different freeports to buy stock and trade was the way to go in my opinion. There is no way to see what people have for sale or to trade unless you go direct to the shop, not a good idea if you want big numbers on the servers.

I will see how single player turns out, mods seem good for it, looking forward to others along the way. If/when they improve PvE in the future I might come back again, depends on what they change and what they add to it. I certainly don't get the enjoyment out of it like I did before though, I think many that left feel this way also.

• Like 1

I like the shops, could do with some better organisation and maybe a sort of map indicator for easier location etc.

Also they should be able to support bigger inventories etc.  Selling a stack of 500 wood is kinda useless if someone wants to be 50,000 and you can't trade ships or tames on them, both should be applicable. Also a sort of refridgeration like the ice sack or larder for selling foods, drinks etc.  Instead they just rot away.. so alot of items that you might sell can't really be sold.

I don't expect a region wide or map wide auction house, that's more ideal for fantasy games or games with technology to support it.  So small local shops is a better idea, they just need to be improved.

As for quitting the game.. well, I'll stop commenting when I do that.

The biggest fail in Atlas as far as I am concerned and the most complained about issues I hear from people leaving is about the sinks in the game.

Gold charges for islands.. gold charges for shops, gold charges for crew, gold charges for customisations.. and so on.  To buy resources you have to trade a resource and pay gold.. and the rates are extortionate.

There are too many and insanely expensive sinks in the game and it's these sinks, these timewasters that seem to be driving most people away.

It's a shame that a game has to die before anyone accepts their idea is wrong.  I enjoy playing atlas, I like just roaming around sinking sotd..I could do just that for the next 5 yrs.. but the game is boring.. because there really aren't any people playing it.  There's noone to talk to, except the 5-6 people in my company and the 5-6 in allied chat.. and the odd 1-2 others dotted around.. there should be 10s of thousands.. of people playing atlas and enjoying.

Grapecard.. stop making the same mistakes you made with Ark..

Edited by Martyn

I doubt a wipe is coming anytime soon because to many players would leave and they aren't working on any new content that would bring people back.

• Like 1

If you think about it.. a wipe is happening right now.. it just takes a few weeks to work itself out.

• Like 2

Like i said in 1 of the TOPICS, there is zero immersion, no point and purpose for smaller company , there is no trading , freeports are dead and were dead all time. Noone cares about trading cause RARE bp are not RARE at all.  There should be like 0,00000006 % chance for lets say purple walls or better boots for amor, for now better BP are useless due to game mechanic and easy raiding, you just need a horse or bear and you can raid offline someone in 1  hour.

I dont know what devs will do but i think they didn expect that so many ppl will leave game in 1 month.

1 month.. should have seen how many left at end of the first day...

For a game that REQUIRES player interaction for the majority of its content, having peak time player counts of like 6-700players spread accross the entire grid network, is basically creating a downwards spiral of activity. Less players = less player interaction = more players get bored and quit = less players, etc etc. The oceans are basically dead, I remember months ago you could go out on a brig and basically be guarenteed to find some ship pvp in 20-40mins, now gl with that.

At this point they basically have to combine the servers. My guess is they're going to announce a wipe and a combine together, when they have another big content announcement to bring some excitement back and hype players up for a fresh start.

Combining the servers also means they have less running costs, which is probably preferable as the games certainly not bringing much more money in at the moment, no payable cosmetics/ monthly subscriptions etc.

But ye, game currently is basically dead

• Like 2