TrevorJD

SotD render / spawn range is absurdly short.

Please, please, please, please, please can we do something about the render range or spawn range of SotD?

I have two desks in my nerd cave and swivel 180 degrees to operate one computer or the other. I took my eyes off the screen for as long as it took to select language and click OK on a fresh windows install (30 seconds?), then turned back to find my brig trying to push a sotd galleon out of the way (it didn't have the mass and it turns out there was another galleon behind it pushing from the other side anyway). They're spawning / appearing literally 4-5 brig lengths away. That's just stupid. If you've got a good wind behind you and you're doing 12+ knots, that leaves mere seconds take evasive action and heaven forbid you have anything but 3 good handling sails.

• Like 1

Yeh sometimes they spawn right in front of you and it's a pain dodging them.

Posted (edited)

Yea, we sail our gally with 2 handling sails and we barely escape without taking a beating. We're sailing with 2 of us, are we're always very aware of what's ahead of us. We turn the second they render in, and still get hammered with cannon fire. 

It's a case of luck, not skill

Edited by Fishface

Yeh it isn't like they spawn a mile away and people are slow to react, they can literally spawn all around you.. within a stones throw of your ship.

Fortunately, they have a warm up period, ie a sort of load cannon delay before firing, so usually you can escape if they load around, but if they load right in front, you can collide with them quite easily before your ship even starts to turn. 

Lately I'd say they've been spawning slightly off to one side but nearly always when I have a full gally and almost never when I'm out in brig.  This needs to be fixed.  They're supposed to be undead ghosts.. not actual pirates trying to steal your wood.

Even better is when they swarm all around my ship when i'm crossing border. Far before game is fully loaded and controllable of course. Or when the game considers my playtime as "too much for today" and disconnects me. In the middle of ocean or at the boarder. As i came back (after restart) they are shooting the crap out of my ship. I mean nobody should be that rude to logoff in the middle of nowhere. Even when the game itself logg me off.

I second this, render is way to short now. When render one, please let us render all around this one.

Currently you chose a direction to evade, only to see more and more and more of them appear one after another in your way.

We can not make educated decisions.

With kinda bad wind in a galleon you can not realy revert your first action, but have to live with it.

Server transmissions are bad also, ending up in a storm with headwind in the middle of a bunch of SotD is only beaten by an allready attacking polar whale awaiting you!

Posted (edited)

never realy have a problem, SotD sometimes land cannons on my gally (4 speed, 2 weight sails), but not enough to worry about.

probably because as soon as I see them spawn in I press "s", then see where the rest spawn and go the other way. Slower speed faster turning then unfurl the sails and speed past the edge of them.

The AI is not good at calculating turning and speed changes, so most shots miss.

before I figured out slowing down was a good idea, I got hammered frequently by SotD

Edited by Jack Shandy

They pile heavyly in some grids now. Sometimes there is only straigth or to bear away abit to not lose to much time.

I then sail trough them, i even ram galleons, sometimes i lose some planks. I had 3 galleons one after another in my way recently, the last one swiss cheesed one side of my galleon. Finally sailing with 9 extra planks payed off. But it becomes annoying.

I just ask to render them all in to be able to react properly. I am not brave enough to tack in the middle of a big groupe with a (100% resistance) galleon yet.

23 hours ago, Jack Shandy said:

never realy have a problem, SotD sometimes land cannons on my gally (4 speed, 2 weight sails), but not enough to worry about.

probably because as soon as I see them spawn in I press "s", then see where the rest spawn and go the other way. Slower speed faster turning then unfurl the sails and speed past the edge of them.

The AI is not good at calculating turning and speed changes, so most shots miss.

before I figured out slowing down was a good idea, I got hammered frequently by SotD

I actually found slowing down yesterday helped in one situation myself.

This is where I slowed down and then turned, otherwise I would have gone head on into that mess as it suddenly appeared.

B9UxYCF.jpg

2 minutes ago, [GP] Guybrush Threepwood said:

This is where I slowed down and then turned, otherwise I would have gone head on into that mess as it suddenly appeared.

It certainly gives you a little more time to react, rather than ploughing straight into danger.

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, [GP] Guybrush Threepwood said:

B9UxYCF.jpg

Reducing speed helps, no question, I just want them to increase the render range again, so that we dont need to do it foresighted.

Or better reveal the whole picture at once!

Edited by Kummba
  • Like 1

This is ridiculous, sailing between grids;

-At least 12 SOTD when entering

-About 1 minute you cant move but get shot to pieces

-When game is finally loaded, you're ship is trapped.

Sigh.

We lost 2 ships yesterday, impossible to defend.

If you're close to the server data centre(s) and have good internet, it'd be a lot better. If you play on a 1-2 year old well-spec'd gaming PC, it'd be a lot better. If you're not in continental USA or wherever they're located, and you typically deal with a 250-300ms international ping (actual ping, not the obfuscated directory-server ping that ATLAS shows), or you play on a 5 year old i5 with a GTX770 with 32G RAM... yeah.

There really needs to be A) an exclusion zone near the seams "seamless" server edges (or spawn you in outside the zone line) and B) a better render range so that people can take evasive action ask they would if the world was actually seamless.

Severcrossing is another topic they need to address. As said it is performance based.

We had one member losing a ship to a polar whale before he loaded in. The next day he was passenger at a crossing from 1 to 15, he screamed NOT AGAIN, because he saw another whale approaching. The driver was allready back in the originating grid to avoid it. THIS should not happen in PVE, it is also problematic for PVP for my understanding.

Unprepareable situations happens when changing servers:
- Storm with headwind resulting in fullstop.

- Storm in originating grid, imidiately over in new grid, sails need sorting etc.

- Any enemie awaits you. Whales, sotd (and player ships).

I did cross into a GA, when loaded it the front of my battle brig was connected to red brigantie (collision). There were 2 red galleons around (made the quest on them). It was luck both of the galleons only did one volley. Also 200% resistance helped.

My main point is:

- I hate to be unprepared and feel out of control.

- I refuse to setup my ship according to this. (more resistance etc)

For PVE they could keep the ship in a stasis like state until the captain decides to be able to join the new server. PVP idk.

We enter new sectors side on, go in on a steep angle and you're able turn right back out again if you see sotd's

Just now, Fishface said:

We enter new sectors side on, go in on a steep angle and you're able turn right back out again if you see sotd's

Yeah i'm starting to do this. Either I travel along grid lines as you are unlikely to find anything spawning in corners of grids, or if i'm not at the end i'll cross the grid at an angle as you say you won't go head on into danger and can either cross back again or skip past them as you already have an angle advantage.