boomervoncannon

In defense of cooking and the vitamin system: an editorial

After doing some research I found that food and vitamins ARE balanced to each other - it is possible at default rates!

According to the wiki most fruits and veggies do not give food if you are already full, they just give vitamins.   This does not even make any realistic sense, this exists purely as a hidden minigame mechanic.  

So simply eat meat and fish until you are full - this should realistically get  them balanced to their 50% EQ because their food to vitamin ratio matches the default drains.   Then overeat fruit and veggies until their respect vitamins are balanced.

So no need to increase your food depletion rate ini to allow you to eat enough to balance vitamins, just start eating fruit and veggies when you are full because only meat and fish can cause you to overeat.   

You should not eat fruit and veggies if you are hungry because the give as much vitamins as they do food - despite the fact that the goal for vitamins is 50% while food goal is 100%.   

It would be incredibly easy for devs to fix this so that one could eat normal meals  - just make fruits and veggies give half the vitamin amount.   This could be modded in the ini to make A & C vitamin drain 2x faster to match the fruit and veggie vitamin restoration.

8F (8F) 5V - Cooked Meat / Fish (so one piece restores 8 Food, 8 Food when FL above 100 and 5 Vitamin Units)

1F (0F) 1V - Vegetables, Cooking Herbs, Medicinal Herb, Fruits with some outliners

Edited by krazmuze
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, krazmuze said:

After doing some research I found that food and vitamins ARE balanced to each other - it is possible at default rates!

According to the wiki most fruits and veggies do not give food if you are already full, they just give vitamins.   This does not even make any realistic sense, this exists purely as a hidden minigame mechanic.  

So simply eat meat and fish until you are full - this should realistically get  them balanced to their 50% EQ because their food to vitamin ratio matches the default drains.   Then overeat fruit and veggies until their respect vitamins are balanced.

So no need to increase your food depletion rate ini to allow you to eat enough to balance vitamins, just start eating fruit and veggies when you are full because only meat and fish can cause you to overeat.   

You should not eat fruit and veggies if you are hungry because the give as much vitamins as they do food - despite the fact that the goal for vitamins is 50% while food goal is 100%.   

It would be incredibly easy for devs to fix this so that one could eat normal meals  - just make fruits and veggies give half the vitamin amount.   This could be modded in the ini to make A & C vitamin drain 2x faster to match the fruit and veggie vitamin restoration.

8F (8F) 5V - Cooked Meat / Fish (so one piece restores 8 Food, 8 Food when FL above 100 and 5 Vitamin Units)

1F (0F) 1V - Vegetables, Cooking Herbs, Medicinal Herb, Fruits with some outliners

This is an old commit of mine, but your picture is missleading, therefore (https://atlas.gamepedia.com/Food😞unknown.png

Most cultivated veggies are 5/5, maize and wheat not. Reduce stamina by shouting.

7 hours ago, Kummba said:

This is an old commit of mine, but your picture is missleading, therefore (https://atlas.gamepedia.com/Food😞Most cultivated veggies are 5/5, maize and wheat not. Reduce stamina by shouting.

But the point of eating meat until full then veggies is still valid !  You can eat more meat which brings up your vitamins more if you are not eating veggies when hungry.  So there is less need to shout.

farmed veggies still have significantly less food contribution to overeating (0.2F instead of 5F if hungry) unlike meat/fish which does not lessen food contribution when overeating.    In other words that is a 25x increase in the ratio of vitamins to food.

So the farmed veggies just mean you need to eat less than the wild ones, but both types of veggies work for vitamin balancing when full.

Yes you still need to drain stamina when sailing to keep up your vitamins because then there is not enough food drain.  But the point I am making is that the fruit and veggies are basically no to little cost to food if you just pay attention to the order you eat them.

Edited by krazmuze
  • Like 1

I did a lot of research with food as KRAZMUZE did and completely agree with him, I always eat veggies and fruits after fish and meat. And I have nothing to complain about managing vitamins but in my opinion the system lack of interest, rewards, and logic.

Some logic frustrations:

I think that devs added vitamin system under the inspiration of scurvy disease. And when I've eaten Lime (fruit) and get 1C I get really mad... Everyone knows that Lime is the best cure against scurvy... and then I've understood that vitamin C values for fruits and berries is 1C and this very strange cause there are have an examples: for herbs +1A, vegetable +5A, cooked meat +5B, prime cooked meat +15B, cooked fish +5D, prime cooked fish +15D. Maybe make fruits vitamin value +5C instead of berries? How do you think?

Berry tea! Take 100 water + 5 berries (vitamin C) and u get +5 vitamin A and 15 water! Where is the rest of the water? Where vitamin C? And where the logic?

Devs are making a pirate style game and don't know anything about Grog and Rum. For devs those who don't know - rum is strong (40%-70% ABV) an alcoholic drink made from sugarcane byproducts. And grog is a mixed rum with water or hot tea. In Royal Navy used to add lemon or lime to prevent scurvy. So who can explain why in ATLAS Grog is made from water and sugar and Rum is made from wheat (hold on... what? it's not vodka or beer! Devs you got sugar and even sugar cane here!), herbs, chili, and water? Moreover, why Grog is better and provide more buffs with a longer period than Rum which more expensive in craft and become useless... It's beyond my understanding... 

I can go ahead but I think this will not help... My sense of logic is already damaged :(

Now that I know the game mechanic is balanced to meat/fish when hungry and only use veggies and fruit when full I have minimized my overeating damage while still balancing vitamins -  there is no need to hasten food drain to allow you to eat more vitamins.

Now the problem is still that you eat unrealistically much -  6 meat 6 fish and 30 veggie and 30 fruit if fully drained.  To balance that I am trying stamina drain slowed down by half, as I found that modest activity this results in the more realistic daily allowance (RDA) of 1 meat and 1 fish to get full then overeat 5 veggie and 5 fruit.    This also increases your food reserves so that you can go many days before starving to death (accurate per IRL where hunger strikes are a thing - it is lack of water that kills you).

I think it is realistic that if energy is expended that you will have to increase your daily allowance.   With this setting I scythed continuously for an in-game hour before getting tired, if you did maintain that rate for a solid work day then you would be eating a weeks worth of meals in a day, will need to see if overeating vitamins is then a problem - but I think that is unrealistic for someone to work so hard when they could just get a bear.

Now the problem gets worse that vitamins drain too fast as less stamina drain means you eat less vitamins, , so my next approach is to balance their decay rate so that eating the RDA keeps vitamins at 50%.

Water they at least got right - 1-2 waterskins a day depending on heat waves is realistic IRL.

Edited by krazmuze
  • Like 1