Ederrn

Low Population means NOT the correct direction

You promised a game where either big clans (more than 20 players), medium clans (10-20), small clans (3-9 players) and solo players (1-2) could play and enjoy the game. This is why you created colonies. Now nobody is playing the game (2k people average). WHY? Of course you can have your own opinion, but you are not players, you are devs, and your point of view is NOT independent. I am a player, a solo player or small clan player. You promised something that has not been fulfilled. I still cannot play because every time I have a ship, the day after is sunk (dramatically easily) by a random player that just pass by its side. Simple: after 4 hours farming for a ship, I cannot even play with it because once is finished is sunk. This happens to many many players, and its FRUSTRATING. Thats why we stopped playing, and every time we give ATLAS a second, third, fourth chance... its the same frustration. That's why the player base is still going down and down and down. Solutions? well I dont have all the answers but here is one simple change that everyone would accept: A fully anchored ship (and for fully anchored lets say that 24 hours needs to be anchored) in your own island (means you have to be the owner, or an ally of the owner) it's invulnerable (just planks, sails and decks). You can still raid the ship content, kill the crew and take your reward during the 9h window, but you cannot sink the ship itself. This rule would protect solo players, small clans and people that doesnt play every single day. If you use your ship, it's vulnerable at least 9 hours after you anchor it in your own island. Would give all players LESS FRUSTRATION, because as long as they can maintain and pay for their island, and the island itself is not lost, they can maintain the ships. A long term anchored ship (more than 24h anchored) it's not a thread to anybody so why you let random players to sunk them so easily?? it only gives frustration to the owner of the ship, and give him reasons enough to say goodbye to ATLAS, and in the other hand does not give the raider, the random player that sunk the ship so easily any special reward, it's even boring to sink ships randomly. This is a simple rule but something you can try if you want to see your player base grow. Lowering the price of the game to 8 euros or less is not the answer, the answer is to make the game LESS FRUSTRATING for the player base. 

Edited by Ederrn

I would like to play pvp. But I have to work and sleep. That's taking 16...18h a day. But the protection works only for 8h. 

these mechanics are only for ppl who don't go to work. Otherwise you build up everything with the knowledge, that u will loose and miss it tomorrow.

I would love a server who's splitted up in half/half pvp/pve.

• Like 3

I had more time on my hands the last months than planned (broke my ellbow and was on forced vacation), so i dumped a lot of time into the game. I really like the idea, i am not complaining i didnt get my money worth, but the frustrating bugs around the core aspects of the game are finally driving me away after 1k+ hours spent. The focus is on completely pointless stuff and they keep adding more and more "new" "content" before they even sort the basics.

Also, at least for PvE, you should be able to stay away longer than for 7-10 days. I am the last of my company still playing and i cba to spent hours of hours with pure maintenance. You need to make this game more suitable to your actual playerbase, and at least for PvE thats small groups/Solo players with time commitments in real life. And no.. before someone goes down that road, "single" player is not really an option in a game as content starved as this.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nutcutt3r said:

Holy WOT Batman 😩

I think basically he's saying colonies was supposed to cater to solo and small clans but doesn’t because his ship still keeps getting sunk before he can use it. The thing that I can’t follow is he seems to be suggesting ships be vulnerable for only 9 hours after anchoring at their home island, which wouldn’t solve his problem of ships being sunk while he was offline sleeping...

Also Op, you should really try using this new thing called paragraphs. All the cool kids are doing it.

Edited by boomervoncannon

16 hours ago, boomervoncannon said:

I think basically he's saying colonies was supposed to cater to solo and small clans but doesn’t because his ship still keeps getting sunk before he can use it. The thing that I can’t follow is he seems to be suggesting ships be vulnerable for only 9 hours after anchoring at their home island, which wouldn’t solve his problem of ships being sunk while he was offline sleeping...

Also Op, you should really try using this new thing called paragraphs. All the cool kids are doing it.

As long as you are the owner of the island and your ship is fully anchored (24h needed) your ship cannot be sunk, regardless you are within the 9 hour raid window or not.
BUT within the 9h all the stuff inside the ship could be raided/destroyed, but not the ship itself, i.e.: planks, sails and decks. 

Of course if you loose the ownership of your isle the ship could be sunk.
And, of course, if the ship is not fully anchored (24h needed) + you are within the 9h window raid time, it can be also sunk.  

Y'll trying to balance a good thing by giving it a bad thing, and it makes it unbalanced.

The biggest problem with this game in pvp, is currently offline raiding, a huge amount of players lives on lawless islands, but because of random douche bags that sink ships, you never get to do anything really.

So how can this be fixed? Well EASY.

If you played in season 1, there was an interesting claim system, lets use that for lawless islands, and baddaboom, then decrease the combat timer to 6 hours, as that is a REASONABLE timeframe for NORMAL people.

Top it off by allowing build control inside your claim, enemies can build 10 structures, but can't place weapons, allies can build 1000 structures, and you can choose to allow them to place weapons or not, and give you the ability to change the structure limit.

This will fix offline raiding, pillar spam, make it harder to raid an island, since you can't build a house there, and need to invade via ship like proper pirates

The PvP timer definitely needs to be reduced from 9 hours to 5 (or 6 at the most). Unless, you're part of a large international company, a 9 hour timer more or less guarantees that there will be some period of time when everyone's offline (or very few people are online). From what I've seen, most small-scale island raids happen in the first or last hour of combat. A 5 hour timer makes it more likely that defenders will actually be around to defend.

4 hours ago, Hakaisha89 said:

So how can this be fixed? Well EASY.

By going to a claimed island which offers protection... not only 15hr/d but 24/7 if you hook up with the local owner and militia...

Too EASY? - well sorry for that... proceed with loosing your stuff then...
If you are on lawless you deserve what you get...

But seems the devs are about get you horses fixed...
Not by getting you to finally drink from the water for your own good, but by just dropping you in the water - seems like in the future all lawless will become also claimable...

Oh, the humanity, of at least 15hr/d of safety a day...😱

Said it before but i'll say it again, I think the game is in the wrong hands, I just wish some other big mmo team would have worked on it. You still have fun in the game but I think many people have done the same thing, throw it to one side for a year and see how it turns out. People have got fed up of it but I don't blame them to be honest.

Can you imagine if the game had the numbers they said it would, trade would be great, interactions with others but it is not complete and personally I think it's to far gone to get the numbers back until they dramatically turn it around and I just don't see that happening.

Never played Ark do I don't know how well that turned out compared to it's first release but even that doesn't do so great does it? I never looked at the numbers they have though. If the numbers come back in PvE I might consider coming back into it onliine but not right now, PvE is getting pushed out of the way with single player and many prefer PvP to start with.

Not sure why people on lawless deserve condemnation,some claimed islands aren't exactly stranger friendly either,and I tried.But surely you would want your ship to be unsinkable or unstealable for the first 24 hours?It gives you time to get somewhere safe.whereas having to anchor it for 24 hours gives someone else 24 hours to attack it.Also if your main gripe is not being able to use your ship,why would you want it almost permanently anchored?If you cant stand pvp the way it is play pve instead,and there is single player too now,which i'm thoroughly enjoying!No islands encased in walls,aahh the peace....In every mmo I have played and do play you will get people who just want to grief others,Sometimes I sit it out and sometimes I move servers or bases,you can also try a private server too.Happy pirating

2 hours ago, DannyUK said:

Said it before but i'll say it again, I think the game is in the wrong hands, I just wish some other big mmo team would have worked on it. You still have fun in the game but I think many people have done the same thing, throw it to one side for a year and see how it turns out. People have got fed up of it but I don't blame them to be honest.

Can you imagine if the game had the numbers they said it would, trade would be great, interactions with others but it is not complete and personally I think it's to far gone to get the numbers back until they dramatically turn it around and I just don't see that happening.

Never played Ark do I don't know how well that turned out compared to it's first release but even that doesn't do so great does it? I never looked at the numbers they have though. If the numbers come back in PvE I might consider coming back into it onliine but not right now, PvE is getting pushed out of the way with single player and many prefer PvP to start with.

Here are up to the minute numbers. Actually PVE on official is still more popular on EU and holds its own on NA compared to their numbers. The numbers have actually increased slightly for those that are watching them since singleplayer came online. People who play either style always are of the opinion that their preferred style is the one that is dominant "for the majority" but data is data.

https://atlas.hgn.hu/

• Like 2

I left the game due to the devs work towards exploiters and cheaters. 

On 7/6/2019 at 4:04 PM, Knivet said:

I left the game due to the devs work towards exploiters and cheaters. 

Grapeshot's efforts to prevent hacks and cheats consists solely of a monthly check to Battleye.

On 7/6/2019 at 9:41 AM, Ederrn said:

As long as you are the owner of the island and your ship is fully anchored (24h needed) your ship cannot be sunk, regardless you are within the 9 hour raid window or not.
BUT within the 9h all the stuff inside the ship could be raided/destroyed, but not the ship itself, i.e.: planks, sails and decks. 

Of course if you loose the ownership of your isle the ship could be sunk.
And, of course, if the ship is not fully anchored (24h needed) + you are within the 9h window raid time, it can be also sunk.  

Sorry to say, but you need to play on Pve.. clearly you're not cut out for pvp.  What you're describing is a fundemental reason why I don't play persistent universes with pvp in it.  There really is no point unless you have mates.. alot of mates.. at the very least a few to die with or alot to win with.  At a certain point, pvp becomes easy, because it's basically you are mowing everyone else down.. that seems to be the nature of pvp these days.. zerg or log out.. Gone are the days of small hunting parties of hidden undead rogues sneakin and slaughtering posing hunters and their pets.. just for kicks..

I prefer the cod or planetside (or wow) type pvp games, can't be bothered with this persistent world stuff, like elite.. ark, atlas.. I'd rather play a relaxing pve game than log in every day to see my effort all gone, whilst I was offline..

Edited by Martyn

On 7/6/2019 at 8:36 PM, UnknownSystemError said:

Here are up to the minute numbers. Actually PVE on official is still more popular on EU and holds its own on NA compared to their numbers. The numbers have actually increased slightly for those that are watching them since singleplayer came online. People who play either style always are of the opinion that their preferred style is the one that is dominant "for the majority" but data is data.

https://atlas.hgn.hu/

Yeh looks like they need to just shut down the pvp servers as they're mostly empty now.. 😉

• Haha 1

A healthy game would be active players versus active players. There is no benefit or game-play value in offline raiding/destruction, at all.

Ships and everything on them should be immune to all damage in all zones when you have achieved green anchor status (with delay to achieve). To prevent this from creating permanent roadblocks (at least with no effort), "out at sea" decay damage should still occur on planks, which can be continually fixed by sweeper NPC's. This introduces three resource sinks to maintain your invulnerable ship status: repair resources, food, NPC payments. These sinks can be adjusted to gain a desired management of time/effort to maintain your invulnerable status, as well as provide a natural removal of players that stop playing.

In my opinion, a similar "green anchor" status should be introduced for land based structures that goes into affect on lawless regions. You would gain this status after all company members have been offline for 15 minutes. Same resource sinks.

This would support companies of all sizes and time commitments. At the end of the day, you want active players seeking out other active players to create "player made content" for PvP. Ideally, this should be sea battles, battles near shore, and land based ones with defensive assistance from NPC's.

Any PvP destruction where one party is offline is just PvE content, and badly designed content at that.

• Thanks 1

You find on a lot of mmo's now people deliberately choose servers with opposite time zones to their own,I've been the victim of this issue a few times ,it happens on both pve and pvp though.There's not a lot you can do to a big group if you are solo and never on at the same time,but there is nothing you can do about it at all,after all it's not technically cheating.But when you sign in everyday and find half your base destroyed cos another clan got bored it does put you off of playing.

Bottom line: way too much grind in this game. Extra true for small clans.

PvP entry level requirements:

1. Grind some tames
  2. Grind breeding for tames that are as good as the tames you're going to have to fight against
  3. Grind resources
  4. Haul 6 different types of each resource
  5. Grind high level SOTD in golden age grids for high level ship blueprints
  6. Grind gold to pay for your island and all the crew you need to protect your high level tames and ships
  7. Grind discoveries for max level
  8. Grind levels to hit your max level

NOW you're ready to start PvP: level 75+ in your mythical/legendary brig.

Technically nothing stops you from going out to PvP in a ramshackle sloop with a cannon strapped to the nose but realistically if you want to engage in fun fights and not die instantly you need to do all of the above which represents hundreds or thousands of man hours of grinding before you can think about enjoying yourself. Realistically you would like to have a number of captains farming SOTD to get those blueprints, which will be one of the most time consuming and most critical aspects here.

Megas can manage it by distributing the grind across enough people but for a small clan it's just not reasonable.

• Thanks 1

Spoiler: Bad English.

A few days ago I made a thread of complaint about the game, this was my first survival beyond Minecraft,

In that thread call the cowardly developer, days later they implemented Single player ... a courageous move since by implementing this mode they completely lose any p2w monetization mode in this title and that is pretty brave.

That said buy Ark too, from what I see in Ark and other survival that I recently acquired as SCUM servers are limited to 100 or 70 simultaneous players, this title has 40000.

Not everyone wants to play in mega companies, many people prefer to play MMO in small groups with friends or alone, because in a mega company they will order you how to play and many people do not like to play as others want and prefer to experience the game to your pace.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but ATLAS has no way to hide a base beyond the height, right? Pirates used to use caches like grottos or caves, I could not really find out if they exist ... one of the main problems of ATLAS is that it is not a central map is an islands map, where to build the base in height, their boats always go to be exposed to the view of the aggressor, there is no way to hide them, there are no caves, no grotto ... there are no underwater bases ... (it would be incredible to be able to save the boats under the sea and to appear as a submarine)

I think that people would be perfectly in agreement with the PvP and the way of destroying Boats and Bases if they could choose when to go to fight instead of being continuously exposed, and not to speak on the offline. In the two weekends that play the PvP I remember the anguish of not being able to go to the bathroom not being able to go to cook even controlling that nobody attacked me and robbed me and lost the progress, I thought that fortifying was a good option, I was completely wrong, all attacks occurred when I was offline.

I can not understand why the developer can not see that players prefer to make logic rules on private servers, PvP zones, PvE zones and trading zones,

Damn in ARK I saw great things on YouTube, as towns created by players, with reward boards for infamous players or banks to keep gold or trades, I can not understand why we are not enabled a damn quadrant or several so that players can create islands of trade by establishing trade stores (imagine a supergiant market created by players where you can go to find rare resources) Tell me an MMORPG that has this.

You can leave the quadrants of reclaimable islands intact as PvP Hardcore with the current mechanics for those who want the final content, you can add and classify specific skill trees for each type of player, ie for example players who play PvP and set their flag can have access to weapons and stronger constructions, likewise put quadrants of PvE Where players could have access (for example) to the strongest tames, all this would end up trading in the islands of commerce and no player would miss anything.

Yes, I also test the PVE server and I can say that leaving PvE players unlimited construction is bad, I would considerably limit the number of constructions that can be used in that type of islands ... you can if you want to add a total cumulus to number of players that are entering a company, the more members, the more they can build.

And you do not really need a Royal Navy system or factions, just enable roles ... a bounty hunter can easily go find the infamous players.

ALL THIS CAN BE CARRIED OUT BY IMPLEMENTING MECHANICS, AS SIMPLE AS THAT ... please stop adding empty islands where a player builds a damn theme park.

Do this and your game will be played by MMO players

Follow with your idea of Survival for 40k players where 500 people can abuse small groups and die with your idea, after all it is yours.

Only my two cents.

Edited by Whito

2 hours ago, Whito said:

Spoiler: Bad English.

A few days ago I made a thread of complaint about the game, this was my first survival beyond Minecraft,

In that thread call the cowardly developer, days later they implemented Single player ... a courageous move since by implementing this mode they completely lose any p2w monetization mode in this title and that is pretty brave.

That said buy Ark too, from what I see in Ark and other survival that I recently acquired as SCUM servers are limited to 100 or 70 simultaneous players, this title has 40000.

Not everyone wants to play in mega companies, many people prefer to play MMO in small groups with friends or alone, because in a mega company they will order you how to play and many people do not like to play as others want and prefer to experience the game to your pace.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but ATLAS has no way to hide a base beyond the height, right? Pirates used to use caches like grottos or caves, I could not really find out if they exist ... one of the main problems of ATLAS is that it is not a central map is an islands map, where to build the base in height, their boats always go to be exposed to the view of the aggressor, there is no way to hide them, there are no caves, no grotto ... there are no underwater bases ... (it would be incredible to be able to save the boats under the sea and to appear as a submarine)

I think that people would be perfectly in agreement with the PvP and the way of destroying Boats and Bases if they could choose when to go to fight instead of being continuously exposed, and not to speak on the offline. In the two weekends that play the PvP I remember the anguish of not being able to go to the bathroom not being able to go to cook even controlling that nobody attacked me and robbed me and lost the progress, I thought that fortifying was a good option, I was completely wrong, all attacks occurred when I was offline.

I can not understand why the developer can not see that players prefer to make logic rules on private servers, PvP zones, PvE zones and trading zones,

Damn in ARK I saw great things on YouTube, as towns created by players, with reward boards for infamous players or banks to keep gold or trades, I can not understand why we are not enabled a damn quadrant or several so that players can create islands of trade by establishing trade stores (imagine a supergiant market created by players where you can go to find rare resources) Tell me an MMORPG that has this.

You can leave the quadrants of reclaimable islands intact as PvP Hardcore with the current mechanics for those who want the final content, you can add and classify specific skill trees for each type of player, ie for example players who play PvP and set their flag can have access to weapons and stronger constructions, likewise put quadrants of PvE Where players could have access (for example) to the strongest tames, all this would end up trading in the islands of commerce and no player would miss anything.

Yes, I also test the PVE server and I can say that leaving PvE players unlimited construction is bad, I would considerably limit the number of constructions that can be used in that type of islands ... you can if you want to add a total cumulus to number of players that are entering a company, the more members, the more they can build.

And you do not really need a Royal Navy system or factions, just enable roles ... a bounty hunter can easily go find the infamous players.

ALL THIS CAN BE CARRIED OUT BY IMPLEMENTING MECHANICS, AS SIMPLE AS THAT ... please stop adding empty islands where a player builds a damn theme park.

Do this and your game will be played by MMO players

Follow with your idea of Survival for 40k players where 500 people can abuse small groups and die with your idea, after all it is yours.

Only my two cents.

1. Your english is not bad at all, a bit of awkward phrasing here and there but I assure you it's worlds better than I could do in your native tongue. Thank you for making the effort to contribute your thoughts and feedback.

2. I thought you made a really great point that has been overlooked when you pointed out that by adding SP, the devs are sacrificing some future profitability by letting players opt for a game version where the incentive to spend money on cosmetics is dramatically lowered (fewer will buy the bling if they are the only ones looking at it). 

3. I really like your suggestion of adding grottos and caves for places players can put hidden bases. I think this would fit nicely with the pirate theme and also have positive gameplay options, it looks like a win/win. Devs I second the request for grottos and caves.

4. Welcome to the boards. We look forward to hearing more from you.

Edited by boomervoncannon

You can create pirate caches. Especially in lawless. Granted they are not totally immune to being found but some common tricks:

Look for a pit in the landscape. Build your hut over the pit so it looks like a level house. Hide your stuff in boxes under the floors.

Build your walls double-thick. This is good practice anyway. Hide boxes in some of the walls.

Build a small hut deep underwater. It's hard to find and even harder to break into.

Hide a box in a bush. Small boxes in dense shrubs are really hard to find. Beds too. Sometimes I have a hard time finding my own bed when it's on the map and I'm the one who placed it, because the bushes hide it so completely.

Of course, most people hide their stuff inside a massive fortress with lots of NPC protection but caches can be useful too.

Edited by Slamz
  • Like 1