NoReason

What is wrong with the game.

Dear ATLAS developers and players (this is google translate essay)

I care about this game because the basics and the climate you have created is incomparable to any other production.
However, I must express my opinion on why this game will not be a success on the gaming market. Or rather it will slowly die.

The game has classified itself to the genre of survival / sandbox / exploration / PvP - this is the basic assumption.
Based on these basic assumptions of the game, you can put the most important game downs.

Survival:
- Vitamins are only a hindrance and annoy the players - they need a modification. Sometimes the player simply decides to die than spend extra minutes picking up supplies.
  There was no such thing in ARK. We got a food recipe for it, which we could create according to our preferences. There is no such thing here.
- Drinking water is also an annoying difficulty. In hot climates there are not enough places to dig this water. There is no rain if we would like to collect this water.
  In the ark we could create an irrigation system without any problems (and it was a pleasure in itself)
- In cold climates, the hunger rate drops even more and it is even harder to keep vitamins at a decent level.
- Putting armor of different types carries too many penalties and leaves no free choice. We can wear heavy armor (the best in the game) only in moderate climates.
- You should be more focused on the fantasy atmosphere. Wolves, lions and snakes are not too demanding opponents. The game in real climates is not very interesting.
  Why not add creatures from fantasy to the world of ATLAS? Something that created an actual threat, and perhaps a challenge for the player?
- Taming and breeding is as annoying as boring. This is certainly not as much fun as in ARK. Seriously think about the whole revorkiem.
- You created the game in the assumption of exploration and hence these annoying factors. Here we have to sail a boat, sometimes over an hour, for example, want to tame an animal that is not in the mood of our island
  Or, for example, if we would like to do an item from the blueprint we found, we need to visit even three different climates!
- Solo play is not possible.

sandbox:
- There are no structures with an angle of 45 degrees
- We waste a lot of time on the ship's float. It's nice, but after a while it makes us realize that this game is dead.
- This is just my suggestion, but I think that there is too little land and too much ocean. Solid continents would be useful instead of islands.
- There are few cons or many, but it is not important. The basics of the game are very good for this genre and it's not something extra to come up with.

Exploration:
- The game forces us to explore. Nothing else needs to be added in this sentence. The assumption is wrong at the very basics. Change your thinking to reward exploration
- Exploration is boring. There is nothing to discover. There are no surprises, repetitive content.

PvP:
- PvP is very interesting. Fuck, he's awesome. Only that it does not bring any benefits beyond pleasure. The balance of benefits and effort is lacking.
- To create an interesting situation for PvP, too much effort is required. We need a ship with cannons, weapons, 2-3 players. not just any ship, at least Schooner.
  It's not that the ship's farm is tiring, but building the ship itself takes too much time.
- To assemble equipment for a good PvP, we need a few players where everyone specializes in something else.
  For PvP, we need a firearm, a ship, cannons, a grappling hook, maybe some animal with a trailer. For this we need at least 5 players in the game at the same time. Specializing in other fields

Graphics:
- We hear the sound of the night / day and suddenly the light goes out / lights up. It's unnatural.
- Shadows move unnaturally with the camera.
- Waves on the sea, if they are interesting, after some time they are boring. Storms are boring and undemanding. Rework!
- Why is this mist at sea?
- Gamma is totally unmatched. In winter climates, snow winks. The / gamma X command does not help at all. You must use this command non-stop to be able to play.
  I feel sorry for players who do not know this command.
- Ships "ship of the damned" look like big motor boats, not like ships of the undead.

Bugia:
- Under the influence of waves at sea, the player is often under the last deck of the ship and it is impossible to get out without destroying the ship's side.
- The guardians of the chest are hiding under the ground, despite being in a fight with the player.

I added a point that solo play is impossible. I play 5 players in the team. It's impossible to believe it or not - it kills the game more than any of the minuses I mentioned.
I have even more suggestions that I think 100% of the players think is right, but I have mentioned the most important ones that should be resolved by ASAP.

• Like 1

I read your text and just want to ask you: are you too lazy to play a game of this size? 

survival means: do something. U can easy cook some food and skill in vitamin deploying. I have never problems with the vits. 

Too hot or too cold? Craft gear, skill in fortitude. We get islands in the desert and in the deepest polar regions. Never get problems with the weather. Skill the temperature-penalty of armours helps too.

No water?! Place a barrel in areas with rain or a stone reservoir in desert sectors. U will have way too much water for crops, cooking and refill your bottles. Or dig with a shovel and refill your bottles.

Building a ship takes too long? Definitely not!! I can easy farm and build up a brig while 1x is active in 3 hours, solo... Too easy...

I think you're just a spoiled dude who never had to work hard. You can easily manage that game.

• Like 5

Too many players think some aspects of the game are not worth their time, and it kills them.

Then they come here and complain that those aspects are crap because it killed them!!!!!

One person (not the OP) even complained that dieing, respawning & getting rekitted because he could not be bothered with vitamins, took too long.

As Forb Hidden says, just a little preperation and you can live in comfort in any biome

• Like 2

Solo play is not possible?

I have been on SP for two days now.. 😛

Think someone hit it on the dot up there. Sounds like you want it to be an entirely nother  game?

Its unlike anything out there but, it would be better if it had this thing here, like that other game and was shorter when you did this,  just like yet another game and oh... lol  People are very use to games where you die and respawn at check points or have easy access to your stuff, warp points to bip bop around, insta well.. anything really. eh, I like it for what it is.. A take it at your own pace survival, sandbox, open world, exploration, building.. creating..

Everything in the game you can counter.. You just have to play the game and use what is there ..  I mean temps and vitamins and  aggressive beasts.. sotd , storms and hydra and cyclops and.. included.. Though Fire Elementals still scare me lol. Most everything has its weak spot.

Multi play, the only thing out there that can always get you, even if you do use the tools the game gives you is... other players 😛  srsly.

5 hours ago, Forb Hidden said:

I read your text and just want to ask you: are you too lazy to play a game of this size? 

survival means: do something. U can easy cook some food and skill in vitamin deploying. I have never problems with the vits. 

Too hot or too cold? Craft gear, skill in fortitude. We get islands in the desert and in the deepest polar regions. Never get problems with the weather. Skill the temperature-penalty of armours helps too.

No water?! Place a barrel in areas with rain or a stone reservoir in desert sectors. U will have way too much water for crops, cooking and refill your bottles. Or dig with a shovel and refill your bottles.

Building a ship takes too long? Definitely not!! I can easy farm and build up a brig while 1x is active in 3 hours, solo... Too easy...

I think you're just a spoiled dude who never had to work hard. You can easily manage that game.

The way large numbers of players complained endlessly about vitamins without ever acknowledging that a reasonable investment in cooking could mitigate everything they were complaining about still sticks in my craw. Admittedly vitamin drain was a bit much out of the gate, but they tweaked it and imo at that point it was fine, but many players continued to howl nonstop until they nerfed it to a point that now cooking isn’t remotely needed, just a convenience option with a few buffs. The fact many players employed a play style so lazy they viewed just dying and respawning as the best solution is right in line with what you’re saying here.

I hate that they got rid of the various specific debuffs for each vitamin deficiency. I thought that was a neat gameplay twist and innovative design that fit perfectly into the survival concept.

Edited by boomervoncannon
  • Like 2

I like the vitamins mechanic, now that we have better cooking and foods to manage it with, I dont have any complaints... But between starting and reaching that stage, we relied on killing ourselves to manage our vitamins. I don't think they should remove it, but it does need to be more manageable for players without the tier 3 recipes. 

For us we just keep a bag loaded with fish n chips and pork pies. This keeps our vitamins balanced and we don't kill ourselves anymore 

• Like 1

How is breeding in ark better? Breeding is so easy right now that everyone can do it. Water pipe System works the Same as in ark except You Need freshwater. Or Place water reserviores or olfend or barrels.

I think I'm trying harder then I should. (Already 318 hours in the game)

How is breeding in ark better? Breeding is so easy right now that everyone can do it.

You guys are forgetting that in order to do both of those things I need lvl 40 as a solo player. Leaving no room to build a ship or arm it and myself.

Now I know there's an option to respec but IMO it shouldn't exist at all and it still takes too much effort to start PvPing.

How is breeding in ark better? Breeding is so easy right now that everyone can do it. Water pipe System works the Same as in ark except You Need freshwater. Or Place water reserviores or olfend or barrels.

There's no fresh water source anywhere. Breeding in ARK is exactly same as here in exception that taming in Atlas is annoying.

With almost 400h playtime u don't have to be ashamed, if u don't know all the edges and mechanics ingame. 

but instead of telling all is broken or not manageable for you, you can ask the Community for help or explorations. Search for guides, vids o.e. 

And as long as you can't skill all u need, u need to respec. Or go out for some treasure hunting, that u can lvl up way faster. 

14 hours ago, NoReason said:

Dear ATLAS developers and players (this is google translate essay)

I care about this game because the basics and the climate you have created is incomparable to any other production.
However, I must express my opinion on why this game will not be a success on the gaming market. Or rather it will slowly die.

The game has classified itself to the genre of survival / sandbox / exploration / PvP - this is the basic assumption.
Based on these basic assumptions of the game, you can put the most important game downs.

Survival:
- Vitamins are only a hindrance and annoy the players - they need a modification. Sometimes the player simply decides to die than spend extra minutes picking up supplies.
  There was no such thing in ARK. We got a food recipe for it, which we could create according to our preferences. There is no such thing here.
- Drinking water is also an annoying difficulty. In hot climates there are not enough places to dig this water. There is no rain if we would like to collect this water. *That's why they call it desert*
  In the ark we could create an irrigation system without any problems (and it was a pleasure in itself) *Ark irrigation was ugly and difficult to build without flyers*
- In cold climates, the hunger rate drops even more and it is even harder to keep vitamins at a decent level. *As it should*
- Putting armor of different types carries too many penalties and leaves no free choice. We can wear heavy armor (the best in the game) only in moderate climates.
- You should be more focused on the fantasy atmosphere. Wolves, lions and snakes are not too demanding opponents. The game in real climates is not very interesting.
  Why not add creatures from fantasy to the world of ATLAS? Something that created an actual threat, and perhaps a challenge for the player? *No, just No.. Hydra and Sirens and Dragons is bad enough.. we don't need more hysterics*
- Taming and breeding is as annoying as boring. This is certainly not as much fun as in ARK. Seriously think about the whole revorkiem.
- You created the game in the assumption of exploration and hence these annoying factors. Here we have to sail a boat, sometimes over an hour, for example, want to tame an animal that is not in the mood of our island
  Or, for example, if we would like to do an item from the blueprint we found, we need to visit even three different climates!

sandbox:
- There are no structures with an angle of 45 degrees
- We waste a lot of time on the ship's float. It's nice, but after a while it makes us realize that this game is dead. *I don't think it's dead, yet*
- This is just my suggestion, but I think that there is too little land and too much ocean. *Sailing game!* Solid continents would be useful instead of islands.
- There are few cons or many, but it is not important. The basics of the game are very good for this genre and it's not something extra to come up with.

Exploration:
- The game forces us to explore. Nothing else needs to be added in this sentence. The assumption is wrong at the very basics. Change your thinking to reward exploration *Actually I feel, it doesn't force us enough*
- Exploration is boring. There is nothing to discover. *There's lots to discover, it's usually in hard to find places* There are no surprises, repetitive content.

Graphics:
- We hear the sound of the night / day and suddenly the light goes out / lights up. It's unnatural.
- Shadows move unnaturally with the camera.
- Waves on the sea, if they are interesting, after some time they are boring. Storms are boring and undemanding. Rework!
- Why is this mist at sea?  *Fog, Mist only occurs over land*
- Gamma is totally unmatched. In winter climates, snow winks. The / gamma X command does not help at all. You must use this command non-stop to be able to play.
  I feel sorry for players who do not know this command.
- Ships "ship of the damned" look like big motor boats, not like ships of the undead.

Bugia:
- Under the influence of waves at sea, the player is often under the last deck of the ship and it is impossible to get out without destroying the ship's side.
- The guardians of the chest are hiding under the ground, despite being in a fight with the player.

I added a point that solo play is impossible. I play 5 players in the team. It's impossible to believe it or not - it kills the game more than any of the minuses I mentioned.
I have even more suggestions that I think 100% of the players think is right, but I have mentioned the most important ones that should be resolved by ASAP.

Nice input. I don't agree with all of it, but there are imo many fine opinions stated here.  I've used strikethrough for stuff I disagree with.

Edited by Martyn

The only things i've never been a fan of are vits and travel time and unlocks,vits because it doesn't work in unison with stomach/hunger and travel time cos I really don't have 4hrs a day to play.unlocks are a time issue for me too really and manpower.A lot of complaints though seem to border on the game being more realistic,My pc certainly does not have the capabilities to be in a game that looks and acts like the real world,I can only imagine the locks and freezes i'd get at sea if all the waves were super realistic in sight and sound and behaviour and actually I think they are pretty damn good anyway!I play pve and single player too and anything I want to do alone I try out in single player now.I think the devs are listening to us and are trying to improve the game.It's not been running that long yet,we should give them time.But I've said loadsa times people have the right to complain or request changes etc,as that is what these forums are for,it doesn't mean your complaints are always right but equally it doesn't mean your always wrong either.Theres certainly more good things about the game than bad.

Some people are smart enough to say "I dont like this game I think I will find another" ...sigh

Fortunately Devs have the intelligence to know that if everyone did that they wouldn't have an mmo!

I play Atlas for on avg 12-14 hours a day.. 4-6 days a week.

Far as I'm concerned.. if you don't have the time to play.. that's your fault.. not mine.  Why should my gameplay be affected because you can't organise your life?

Edited by Martyn
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, Martyn said:

Far as I'm concerned.. if you don't have the time to play.. that's your fault.. not mine.  Why should my gameplay be affected because you can organise your life?

Oh my god listen to you, the arrogance.

Most people don't have the time to play avg 12-14 hours a day 4-6 days a week because we have things called jobs or for some school.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, NoReason said:

You guys are forgetting that in order to do both of those things I need lvl 40 as a solo player. Leaving no room to build a ship or arm it and myself.

Now I know there's an option to respec but IMO it shouldn't exist at all and it still takes too much effort to start PvPing.

There's no fresh water source anywhere. Breeding in ARK is exactly same as here in exception that taming in Atlas is annoying.

U need lvl 40 for cooking - what?! Beside - even without cooking there is no problem at all to keep the vitamins in balance.
Don't complain if u refuse to use the respec option. It is there for a reason. Just because you don't like it and therefore miss out - by your own choice!

There are tons of fresh water sources. And getting water is actually way easier in Atlas than in Ark. Especially on low lvl. Tested the new map on ARK the other day and got triggerd like crazy about not being able to simply quickly dig for water. Honestly I think you simply missunderstand and don't know how to use many mechanics correctly. As example the taming in Atlas is WAY faster and easier than ARK. Same for breeding.

8 hours ago, Martyn said:

Far as I'm concerned.. if you don't have the time to play.. that's your fault.. not mine.  Why should my gameplay be affected because you can organise your life?

Are you serious? Honestly you should be ashamed writing something like this. Take some days off - go outside and think about what you just wrote here. This sentence tells more about your life and your bad lifedecissions then being any valid argument to the discussion.

Edited by Sinappia
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, Martyn said:

Very simple answer: because you’re not remotely reflective of the typical player. It’s exceedingly common sense that games should be designed to accommodate the most typical player.  Most people do not have 12-14 hours per day available to devote to playing a game, let alone have the desire to do so. Designing your game to cater only to people who do would be a very poor business decision because you represent a small fraction of the market.

Now that we’ve established that for common sense business reasons the game should be designed for all of us and not you as a minority, if your play style doesn’t fit that, that’s your fault not ours. Why should our gameplay be affected because you have nothing else to do with your life?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sinappia said:

Are you serious? Honestly you should be ashamed writing something like this. Take some days off - go outside and think about what you just wrote here. This sentence tells more about your life and your bad lifedecissions then being any valid argument to the discussion.

What you don't know, is that I can't readily go outside.. or I would.  My point is, I play more.. he plays less.  He wants the game changed to suit him.  I don't.  Bad life decisions.. a pipe landed on me.  But thanks for your perspective.

1 hour ago, boomervoncannon said:

Very simple answer: because you’re not remotely reflective of the typical player. It’s exceedingly common sense that games should be designed to accommodate the most typical player.  Most people do not have 12-14 hours per day available to devote to playing a game, let alone have the desire to do so. Designing your game to cater only to people who do would be a very poor business decision because you represent a small fraction of the market.

Now that we’ve established that for common sense business reasons the game should be designed for all of us and not you as a minority, if your play style doesn’t fit that, that’s your fault not ours. Why should our gameplay be affected because you have nothing else to do with your life?

That's really odd, since the active guys in my company, all are online a minimum of 8 hours.. some as much as me.  And they work for a living..

People who cannot play for 4 hours or more, shouldn't even be counted. Nor should people who turn up every weekend or once in a blue moon.

And if you think my hours are bad.. god.. wait until you find out about account sharing and people being active 24/7 with several people playing on the same account allowing companies to rapidly expand, tame, build etc.

You have no clue.. about what's really going on.

Edited by Martyn

3 minutes ago, Martyn said:

What you don't know, is that I can't readily go outside.. or I would.  My point is, I play more.. he plays less.  He wants the game changed to suit him.  I don't.

That's really odd, since the active guys in my company, all are online a minimum of 8 hours.. some as much as me.  And they work for a living..

People who cannot play for 4 hours or more, shouldn't even be counted. Nor should people who turn up every weekend or once in a blue moon.

It’s not uncommon for hardcore players to cluster together in guilds in online games. They often do so because they feel if they play with more casual players, then they are pulling most of the load for others who are free riding off their greater productivity in game. The fact your guild mates play a lot represents observation bias in your perspective of Atlas’s playerbase.

It is fortunate that you are not a primary  decision maker in the design process because Atlas is already struggling without the arbitrary policy you’ve just put forward of ignoring the preferences of more casual players. Since their money is as good as yours, I can’t see this being a good business policy. As it happens, after a cursory google search there is a recent and relevant academic paper on research into gaming behavior that includes average MMO playtimes. 

https://www.iis.sinica.edu.tw/~swc/pub/wow_player_game_hours.html

The authors used WOW for their research and since it’s the largest game within the same genre, can certainly be considered comparable for purposes of this discussion. Note that on the very first page under section 4.3 daily activities, the paper indicates that most players log in for between 1 to 5 hours per day on the days that they play. Not all days, just the ones they play.

Thus your assertion that people who play less than 4 hours per day shouldn’t even be considered would very likely lead a majority of players preferences ignored. After 15 years of MMO gaming however, I am unsurprised that a hardcore gamer wants his wishes catered to while being dismissive of others. Sadly I have found this underlying attitude to be all too common within that demographic.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Martyn said:

So yesterday after I worked 9 hours, plus an additional 1.5hrs commute both ways, so that's 3 hours commute plus 9 hours work, that's 12 hours commited to work.

Then I get home, I make myself some dinner, I chill out a little because it's 27oC. I have to deal with some home related stuff and then you know have a few conversations with real people.

That left me with pretty much 2 hours before I had to go to bed to you know rest before getting up in the morning again and starting work again.

So I only had 2 hours to play yesterday, yet you feel my comments on the game shouldn't be counted?

I'm sorry some pipe fell on you and caused you difficulty in life, but you saying that others who have full time jobs and busy lives that don't have 8-14 hours a day to play shouldn't comment on a game that they play is ridiculous, because you are claiming their "inability" to manage their life shouldn't affect your game, yet you are more than happy to claim your "inability" that allows you to do nothing but play games should affect other people's games.

You are a complete example of hypocritical prejudice.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, boomervoncannon said:

It’s not uncommon for hardcore players to cluster together in guilds in online games. They often do so because they feel if they play with more casual players, then they are pulling most of the load for others who are free riding off their greater productivity in game. The fact your guild mates play a lot represents observation bias in your perspective of Atlas’s playerbase.

It is fortunate that you are not a primary  decision maker in the design process because Atlas is already struggling without the arbitrary policy you’ve just put forward of ignoring the preferences of more casual players. Since their money is as good as yours, I can’t see this being a good business policy. As it happens, after a cursory google search there is a recent and relevant academic paper on research into gaming behavior that includes average MMO playtimes. 

https://www.iis.sinica.edu.tw/~swc/pub/wow_player_game_hours.html

The authors used WOW for their research and since it’s the largest game within the same genre, can certainly be considered comparable for purposes of this discussion. Note that on the very first page under section 4.3 daily activities, the paper indicates that most players log in for between 1 to 5 hours per day on the days that they play. Not all days, just the ones they play.

Thus your assertion that people who play less than 4 hours per day shouldn’t even be considered would very likely lead a majority of players preferences ignored. After 15 years of MMO gaming however, I am unsurprised that a hardcore gamer wants his wishes catered to while being dismissive of others. Sadly I have found this underlying attitude to be all too common within that demographic.

I have a better idea.. there. Sorted. Cya.

Edited by Martyn

7 minutes ago, Martyn said:

Whilst I'm ingame.. playing the game..

The folks not playing are giving their opinions.

The game I am playing.. is changed by those opinions.

And I was ingame playing the game that is changed.   My opinion, ignored.

That's what you want.. that's what you think.

Nope, your opinion is ignored because of your attitude clearly displayed on the forums.

You look at life through rose-tinted glasses and expect everyone else to adhere to how you see life. If I want to take a day off from playing Atlas but still want to visit the forum and give my opinion on something for a game that I play and have invested hours into you damn bet you I am going to post my opinion.

Every person has as much right to post here as you have.

1 hour ago, Martyn said:

I have a better idea.. there. Sorted. Cya.

Make a case for why your idea is better, rather than trying to make a case for why other people’s shouldn’t even be considered.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Whitehawk said:

Fortunately Devs have the intelligence to know that if everyone did that they wouldn't have an mmo!

theres like 300 players in EU  and 7-900 in NA this is not an MMO