Sign in to follow this  
Halcyon

Using Sloop + Balista Harpoon as a Tug Boat

I hate reversing big ships into docks... so I tried a few science experiments to see if I could "reel in" the ships into the docks using harpoons... 

The balista on a base does attach, but can't reel in the ship. Same with a balista on a horse carriage...

Then I built a sloop with a balista to act as a parking tug-boat...  but alas, doesn't work either 😞

As troubleshooter I want to confirm that the ships that i hooked a harpoon onto are friendly in-company ships and are undocked. The test ship is a Brig. The environment is a shallow coastal dock, but deep enough for a brig to move over. 

Reeling in ships should be a thing. 

Today I tried to tow a schooner with my brig. The brig got the balista.

The moment you hit another ship with a harpoon. Your ship, the ship that shoots the harpoon stops immediately.

This is weird on its own but it means that you cannot tow another ship with a harpoon because the towing ship can't move.

I hope that this will be improved someday. But I guess it would be very complicated.

7 minutes ago, Kappinski said:

Today I tried to tow a schooner with my brig. The brig got the balista.

The moment you hit another ship with a harpoon. Your ship, the ship that shoots the harpoon stops immediately.

This is weird on its own but it means that you cannot tow another ship with a harpoon because the towing ship can't move.

I hope that this will be improved someday. But I guess it would be very complicated.

Weird, unrealistic, and counterintuitive. Possibly done for gameplay reasons but just speculation on my part.

10 minutes ago, boomervoncannon said:

Weird, unrealistic, and counterintuitive. Possibly done for gameplay reasons but just speculation on my part.

Maybe it works if you put the balista on your smaller ship? We didn't try ^^

Edited by Kappinski

Thanks for the info, would love to know if it works the other way around, if anyone tries it. I might get a chance to do it myself this weekend.

I Want to know if you can grapple flotsam with those. Looting sotds with a Gall is so annoying And grapplinghook Range is too short

To follow up, I tested this Galleon > Brigantine, and same results. Both boats instant full stop, even though sails were full, and no way to move either boat until the harpoon was removed.

I hadn't actually used a harpoon before, the right-click functionality to reel in a boat seems perfectly suited for removing folks from sandbars, which is something I have always wanted. I still need to test it against an anchored friendly boat, since our more severe groundings have been to anchored boats that would explode the moment they raise anchor.

If this works, I'll be very happy.