Sign in to follow this  
[GP] Guybrush Threepwood

Crew Silo

I think the crew silo is great, but wasn't expecting it to be so big and tall. I had a perfect place to put it, but because it is on ceilings over water it won't place as it needs to be on/over the island.

Now i'm torn between the places to put it without it standing out. Will have to do a little redesign to find a good place for it!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, [GP] Guybrush Threepwood said:

I think the crew silo is great, but wasn't expecting it to be so big and tall. I had a perfect place to put it, but because it is on ceilings over water it won't place as it needs to be on/over the island.

Now i'm torn between the places to put it without it standing out. Will have to do a little redesign to find a good place for it!

How big are we talking? I’m still otw home from a sales apt in East Chicken Neck, so won’t be able to log on for another hour.

Just now, boomervoncannon said:

How big are we talking? I’m still otw home from a sales apt in East Chicken Neck, so won’t be able to log on for another hour.

The main height of it is 2 walls high, but it has a pointed roof/top so goes slightly higher than 2 walls, maybe 2.5 walls high?

It's completely round, i'd say 2 foundations wide. I didn't take a screenshot of it, but i'm pretty sure that's what it was like.

• Thanks 1

It's available from Esotery of Building, Stone buildings like lighthouse etc.  It's the top most item selection.

Apparently, you can only have one silo per island - adding more will give you an 'already have one' message. Why? Why not have an unlimited number of silos and feed the crews from whichever one has food in it? Having just one means that you need to protect it - and if you need to protect it, why not just keep the food in the flag? As it stands, the current silo is of limited value. However allowing unlimited silos would be fantastic, and we wouldn't have to dump a million berries when overloaded on a giraffe away from the base.

Edited by Kast

4 hours ago, Kast said:

Apparently, you can only have one silo per island - adding more will give you an 'already have one' message. Why? Why not have an unlimited number of silos and feed the crews from whichever one has food in it? Having just one means that you need to protect it - and if you need to protect it, why not just keep the food in the flag? As it stands, the current silo is of limited value. However allowing unlimited silos would be fantastic, and we wouldn't have to dump a million berries when overloaded on a giraffe away from the base.

It means you need to protect it? You mean protect it in a PvP game? The horror! 😱

2 minutes ago, [GP] Guybrush Threepwood said:

It means you need to protect it? You mean protect it in a PvP game? The horror! 😱

Sometimes it's important to read the whole thing:

Having just one means that you need to protect it - and if you need to protect it, why not just keep the food in the flag?

Just now, Kast said:

Sometimes it's important to read the whole thing:

Having just one means that you need to protect it - and if you need to protect it, why not just keep the food in the flag?

Because maybe, just maybe the silo allows non-island owners to feed/pay their own NPC's across the island?

Was a little disappointed it only takes berries.

It fit quite well in a spot next to my crop plots, and crops are a way better food than berries.

I can understand why as the spoil timer on the silo is just ridiculous and pointless as with only one stack only one berry will spoil at a time. They don’t want it used as a storage container.

The thing is, it’s a silo, the very definition of a storage container.

They could, for example, have the same spoil timer as a larder. Allow crops to be placed in it for both storage and feeding crew, and with only the one stack you will get improved sustainability, but not excessive.  

Well I am grateful for the new building. Good job devs, way to listen to the community and make an excellent contribution to the small company/solo players out there who want decent defenses but don't want to spend a good chunk of time each day checking on multiple NPC locations. Berries are easy to get and in 5 minutes you can essentially get enough to feed everyone for days. The silo was implemented SOLELY as a way to feed crew to improve the QoL, not as a way to store your crops (despite the name). There is already food larders and feeding troughs which serve the purpose of food storage. They just wanted to make the tedium of NPC management easier and the mission was accomplished. Having 1 per company per island is perfect, no need for more. It creates a high value target that should add some more depth to raids/defenses. As for the person arguing that you might as well just keep it in the flag if you can't have more than one, this was clearly designed with settlers in mind who don't have a flag. Again, shout out to the devs for a fantastic update and quick response to the small company community who sorely needed this. Well done!

20 minutes ago, kampfer91 said:

Was hoping it looks like a tavern but oh well this will do

A tavern? What do you think this is a pirate game? Yar!

2 hours ago, [GP] Guybrush Threepwood said:

Because maybe, just maybe the silo allows non-island owners to feed/pay their own NPC's across the island?

You're grasping now. Allowing more than one silo wouldn't negatively impact non-island owners at all. If the stated purpose of the silos was to give non-island owners or lawless island residents a form of centralized feeding to replace a flag (which it wasn't), then you could make your argument. But as it stands, those are the only players who will really benefit from it; for island owners, it's fairly useless.

Edited by Kast

2 minutes ago, Kast said:

You're grasping now. Allowing more than one silo wouldn't negatively impact non-island owners at all. If the stated purpose of the silos was to give non-island owners or lawless island residents a form of centralized feeding to replace a flag (which it wasn't), then you could make your argument. But as it stands, those are the only players who will really benefit from it; for island owners, it's fairly useless.

What's the difference between a flag and a silo for island owners?

1 minute ago, [GP] Guybrush Threepwood said:

Enemies can't destroy a flag unless they capture the island; silos have 10,000 hps and can be destroyed. On a PvP server, that means you'll need to defend the silo. Why would island owners ever put food in a silo rather than the flag? 

4 minutes ago, Kast said:

Enemies can't destroy a flag unless they capture the island; silos have 10,000 hps and can be destroyed. On a PvP server, that means you'll need to defend the silo. Why would island owners ever put food in a silo rather than the flag? 

Because the silo was likely introduced to provide everyone else that doesn't own an island, that's a large portion of players, a similar ability for QoL improvement.

Don't get me wrong, this is a great addition, people have been asking for something like this for months, myself included.

Like another poster said, a tavern or a bursars office would have been a lot more thematic.

And it does the very minimum required to fulfil it's role, a silo suits you putting berries in it, that makes sense but putting gold in a silo. I imagine our crew digging through thousands upon thousands of berries to get to the gold that has sunk to the bottom of the silo. :classic_blink:

The dev's have put it in the game and thats fantastic, now how's about making it an item / building that suits the game more.

We just need some way to feed tames like this too.  I am guessing that they didn't allow the silo to feed tames due to some tames needing different foods (such as meat) and they possibly think that to store different foods and not spoil there is abuse.  They don't want all varieties of food to be able to be stored without worry of it spoiling and allowing you to take it when needed. 

The way around this would be to make all food put in silos a one way transaction.  So you can store food into the silo, but never take it out (only tames or crew can use it).

8 hours ago, [GP] Guybrush Threepwood said:

For people who chose to place their flags at the top of Mt. Everest, I imagine it is at least more convenient. You could build it right inside your base, or next to the stable where you park your berry harvesting tame.

20 hours ago, boomervoncannon said:

In case you haven't seen it yet, this is the size and look of it.

tNkzGL7.jpg

Ms8kLrh.jpg

• Thanks 1