Dosgimp

Treasure Map - Frustration & Rant

With having 1152 Hours played - Since Pre-Wipe.  I think I can safely give my frustrations to the Dev's  - I am a loyal player and will remain loyal. Atlas is a fantastic game, with plenty to be done,  I play with my family of 3.   We have obtained all the power stones,  All the Trench Power Essences,  we have killed the Kraken.   Did the Ice Cave - Got him to 20% before running out of ammo.

Here is my issue.  So yesterday I came across a Masterwork Treasure Map for H6 and it was Bonus boosted. So yah gotta check it out right?    I sail on over to H6 about 7 Grids East and 5 North.  No worries I enjoy sailing.  Put the crew on the wheel, and head on out.   I get to H6. And I know its a golden age so I am expecting it to be difficult.  Put having the treasure in between the Hydra, 2 Fire Elem, 2 Rock Elem.  Is just damn impossible.   It cannot be done. 

Alright no problem - Bummer RNG Map, didnt go to well in our favor.   Pack up move on.     

Come Across another Masterwork Map for O6 so sweet, Im already in H6 let me sail 8 Grids East - Gotta head home anyway -   I get to the map island start running around to look for it.  Thanks for your eagle eye lv3   - And guess what,   The Treasure map is located on the very top of a pillar - That cannot be accessed unless, i use climbing picks and the grab hook maybe!, I would need to respec into stam to make it to the top tho.    Problem being that it is a level 22 quality map,  You stand no chance in hell, killing the AoD's without your tame.    And more importantly I know for a fact,  1, 2 or even 3 of them would be pushed off the side fall down to the bottom and yep - There goes that..  

My frustration - Can't we get a team to work on the algorithms when generating maps, that the coordinates used are 100% accessible with mounts,.   7 hours sailing yesterday and nothing to show for it.   

Its a Rant, and I hope it can be looked into.    With all that being said,  I am not going anywhere.  We enjoy the game very much.  And almost ready to setup shop so other players can purchase goods, resources, ammo etc. etc.  Trade hub so to speak.  Like the Mall idea on other post's.

Thank you

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I have the same problem with the lowest, LOWEST level maps. My friend and I are slowly learning the game but almost every map in N9 is on top of a spire!     Cmon!    I could see a difficult map being difficult to get to, but the work needed to get the 87 gold pieces from these low maps is not worth it. 

Even Better,  The Masterwork map I had on 06 was so tastey we tried to build a ramp to the top of the spire,  only to get the message "Unable to Place Structure this high above ground"     

Again this isnt a complaint only letting the dev's know its frustrating to say the least.      "Atleast I get an A+ for effort"

You might not be complaining, so I'll do it for the both of us. 

It's one thing to have high risk/high reward quests....or high time sink/high reward, but those map locations constantly on the top of spires is neither. 

The map locations need to be naturally accessible for the common variety and the higher level ones should require some climbing or building but not to the extent that you have to invest in a base worth of walls and ramps.

Since this is an Early Access game, I'll assume the devs will be tweeking this for better balance in the coming patches. 

Edited by Hattrix

I do maps in bulk normally, about 5-10% i cant/dont do. Most of them bc they dont work, some bc i dont want to build up.

When u did maps all around the world, you start collecting yours at a grid where it will spawn the good maps in an easy biome. You also know where not even to set sail too, when u buy maps, know your locations even better.

Having to toss the first masterwork map is a hard loss, but with your amount of hours you should not bet on one single map only anyway.

At least we have maps!

Yes, pillars maps suck. I used to buil swivels on top of pillars in my local island to do this maps, but not anymore. Devs haven't fixed yet the bug of maps quality 15 or more disappearing when taking them.

• Like 1

On 7/7/2019 at 4:56 AM, Emanuel a said:

Yes, pillars maps suck. I used to buil swivels on top of pillars in my local island to do this maps, but not anymore. Devs haven't fixed yet the bug of maps quality 15 or more disappearing when taking them. 

Different grid, different q range for poofing. It is a bad desitionation grid which causes it, in my understanding.

"Lets add than more Islands and more animals like Sea Horse, that will resolve problem".

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I used to get masochistic joy out of trying the crazy inaccessible ones, and would only pick up red bottles, but since they broke everything but melee and tames, I don't even look at bottles anymore. I'd rather leave them for the tame crowd, even though I know the hardest ones can't be done by them either.

I wish I had taken movies of the crazy zombie apocalypses my mates and I used to stage.

11 hours ago, Sleepinator2000 said:

I'd rather leave them for the tame crowd, even though I know the hardest ones can't be done by them either.

How tho for not GA ones?

Any breeded bear with ~220% melee w/o raiders bouns will kill any map. The rider has to know what to do tho.

Self breeded/imprinted bears are laughing about level 100 guys.

Only difficulty is the surroundings, terrain etc.

Golden age is a different story.

This is just getting worse with the auto decay. We had built plenty of ramps and there were tons of ramps built by others to some of these difficult locations but with the stupid auto decay those ramps are disappearing. 

This game is seriously taking a steep nosedive.

6 hours ago, Kummba said:

Only difficulty is the surroundings, terrain etc.

Exactly. Those were serious fun for me. Now they are discarded, or in my case not even picked up in the first place.

It hurts.... Dev's   please do something..   It has to stop.    20 Quality map..     You expect me to hand fight 20 AoD @ about level 55 - 70?      It cannot be done....      If I pickup a bottle in N11 my home,  and sail all the way to I2 (thats 6 grids south and 4 grids west" on a schooner with a legendary speed sail (that has no special effect) under 1/2 weight.  Max spedd 13knots.  ONE full 11 star sextant buff, to get too,   Damn dont you think ive went through enough to kill and dig up the loot?

stpplz.jpg

Edited by Dosgimp

This week im go alone to 20 and more treasure map quality 15. 20. 22. 23. 26 journeyman and masterwork a collect 60000 gold and 250 blueprint I had access to all the treasures because I had the Crab and Golden age is easy with Crab.

4 hours ago, fonias said:

This week im go alone to 20 and more treasure map quality 15. 20. 22. 23. 26 journeyman and masterwork a collect 60000 gold and 250 blueprint I had access to all the treasures because I had the Crab and Golden age is easy with Crab.

Not everyone has a crab 

Alright here we go again,  Map looks good  Heading to F3 from I2.  Not to bad..    Keep you posted.

F3 Check,  I get to the island in question,  No laser beam to be found anywhere,   X does not mark the spot..  WTF.   deep breath.  I zoom out and notice hey F3 has 2 IDENTICAL islands on the same grid .  okay pack up move out.   

HOLY HELL!  Could it be?

Holyshjit.jpg

Edited by Dosgimp

Not Stuck,  Not found,  AoD missing..  Unknown MIA or Scared..    Once again,   No Pillar climb,  but at least the drive out here was fun.

Where.jpg

So after 2 reset's -  GOT IT!      Ima chalk up these 4 hours as a successful night..

Once again Dev's this is not a complaint, just a tour of what your player base, may or may not be experiencing.  I enjoy every minute of the sail out here.    110% good times.   Got some crates some hard songs.   However my goal was to head to a valuable map, and dig it up without issues.       We're almost there!!!

Edited by Dosgimp

We got it,  my wife and I have concluded a perfect  or near perfect resolution.  

Static Spawn's per Island.       If you can create a specific location for the Ice Cave entrance,  then you should be able to create 1,2 or 3 different location on each Island that a treasure bottle will direct you too..      Such location, nothing can be built near,  and is level with the ground floor.  

Example:   I3 - Northwest most island on the grid.    Has only 3 locations a random treasure bottle can direct you too.   You get map on i dunno A11  you sail O1  -  now once there - your heading to a treasure location, secured from hassle by any other player.  Nothing can stop you from reaching the destination "player grief wise"   You kill the AoD equal to the quality of the map, without AoD getting stuck or lost, or Vanish for some lag issue.    You Claim your loot and you move on.  3

What do my fellow players think?      

Treasure maps on PVE, without War with another company, is the best thing we got to being a pirate.   IMO

Treasure maps are the main mechanism to even scout different biomes and islands.

If it gets steamrolled to much you will not even sail there at all. You have seen it all.

Just do more, after a while you know better when to give up, when not, how to avoid glitching etc. You will be able to do your 20/20, like foinas, at somepoint too.

Knowlege and preperation is king.

@fonias, there are different GAs, HF doing map in the citys of H11.

Hi Kummba,

I'm not sure how normal I am as a player or how normal our crewmates are, but the vast majority of our travels is done for harvesting materials and most of the exploring is done for fun.
Just speaking for me: I travel out of necessity to gather discovery points and while I travel I harvest what we currently need. And while I'm doing so I systematically pick up all maps I encounter. Then, upon arrival at an island I check to see if any maps are for that place and hunt that treasure.
The opposite does happen, but not even once a week. For good maps we do travel just for the map.

Hi Dosgimp,

Nice idea. Graveyards, gravestones, burial spirit wards, local wisps of fog etc. could indicate such locations. There's a halloween mod in ARK that does this nicely. Anyway, when there is marker in the landscape, those spawn point could still be anywhere. They need not be limited. With a spooky relic in the grass we should know not to build on top of it.

On 7/1/2019 at 6:36 PM, Hattrix said:

I have the same problem with the lowest, LOWEST level maps. My friend and I are slowly learning the game but almost every map in N9 is on top of a spire!     Cmon!    I could see a difficult map being difficult to get to, but the work needed to get the 87 gold pieces from these low maps is not worth it. 

I feel your pain, I drop N9 maps as soon as I pick them up over the fact that the first 20 times I tried to do them I couldn't reach them