seruum

In game auction house

I would love to see an in game auction house at freeports that is linked between all other freeports. Much the same as WoW, what implications would this have on the game?? Imagine all the rss are only as far as the freeport away.

It wouldn't help the game in the long run. Players dare not hang around Freeports because of rapid ship decay, so using them as a Trade Hub still won't seem an attractive prospect.

A trading bulletin board might be more use. A player or NPC could place a contract for X amount of something and a player could accept the contract. They ship the stuff where it's needed and get the gold (or goods in exchange).

It would give companies both large and small a way to generate income and maybe open up piracy/trade convoys on PvP servers.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, seruum said:

I would love to see an in game auction house at freeports that is linked between all other freeports. Much the same as WoW, what implications would this have on the game?? Imagine all the rss are only as far as the freeport away.

So, what is the defining act of piracy? Attacking merchant shipping. What's weird about Atlas as a pirate themed game? The act of piracy itself is largely absent from the game because there is little to no merchant shipping. As someone who loves the economy aspect of MMORPG gameplay and thinks it's vastly underdeveloped in Atlas, I don't think any sort of central auction house is the way to go for this game. The need to actually physically transport goods AND develop the personal interactions of trade networks rather than anonymous bidding systems is something Atlas should encourage more of through design, not truncate by plopping in the same systems other games use.

• Like 3

Is there a point in buying anything from someone, when you can farm it or craft it yourself? For high rolls of good items is there a point in selling them instead of using them yourself?Β No matter what trading systems they implement if they don't solve thatΒ first.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, znasser said:

Is there a point in buying anything from someone, when you can farm it or craft it yourself? For high rolls of good items is there a point in selling them instead of using them yourself?Β No matter what trading systems they implement if they don't solve thatΒ first.

Legit point. Atlas does have something I haven't come across in other MMO's which speaks to this: mat categories of half a dozen specific mats within a category and the need to use more of these specific kinds of mats within a category to craft increasingly higher quality gear ie legendary needs 5, mythic needs 6. Doing this and them having the different specific types spread across the map in different biomes and regions does help stimulate a need for trade or at least travel, but I agree that it only does so much and addressing the point you raise would go a long way towards stimulating an ingame economy to a much greater degree.

9 hours ago, seruum said:

Sorry In Game AH are a Band Aid System for games with a crap Economy!!!Β  And yes I count World of Warcraft among games that have a CRAP economy!!!

Vendors are the only way to foster an economy inside of a Sandbox MMORPG.

There is no reason that Freeports need to become trade hubs but I and others recommend Freeports because of the safezone that goes along with them.

If your going to have a successful, shop its going to be more likely to prosper inside of a zone of safety!Β  Problem is there are no game mechanics that allow players to put Vendors at Freeports, so they need to put them out in the normal world...

Problem with this is = Atlas is a group of islands with mangy dogs who run around marking there tree's constantly and waiting to attack the first thing that steps foot on there island.

Yes there could infact be Players who are indeed inclined to set up a nice port with vendors and attempt to make coin via trade, but who is going to risk dropping anchor at every island in the world till you find these places?!?Β Β 

So yes the simple fix is an AH for an environment like that one we have in atlas!

But that doesn't fix the problem, and the problem is all the mangy dogs who mark there territory daily that are ready to rip the face off of the first person that steps foot on there island.

^^^^Β  That is what needs to be fixed, we need game systems that create law and order.Β  Β Game systems that punish players for mindless violence!Β  Game systems that allow for a sense of safety in locations that people may want to turn into a trade hub!Β  NPC ships that hunt pirates down, would be far better then silly ships of the damned which should not be everywhere but only in the golden age ruins zones as they don't belong everywhere they don't make sense to be everywhere!

Β 

The game needs to learn the concept of Yin and Yan, Good and Evil, without one the other can't exist, a good game strives for balance and promotes the game play of all, from solo explorers and crafters to the large groups of adventures.Β Β 

Β 

I could never promote an Auction House system every in any game because they only lower the quality of the game!Β  Vendors are always superior because of Yin and Yan, Good an Evil, Crafters and Consumers, Merchants and Sellers...Β  Most of the pvp inclined are not Crafters and they are not Sellers they are Consumers and a Consumer will always want an Auction House because its the peak of a Lazy consumer economy!!!Β  Perfect for Mindless PvP players....

Β 

But Vendors, require the commitment of those that run them, they require strategys from Selling at a high price and always have stock to selling at a discount price and always being sold out, and balancing the reputation of your vendor as being one that is Cheep or one that is Reliable and in stock or one that is somehow cheep and reliable!Β  This gives other play styles avenues to play the game, but auction houses don't foster good game play for the online business man or crafter they make the game far less fun for people who want to create an online business!

Β 

Nope I could never support an auction house system inside of a game I want to succeed.Β  Because they are wanting and lacking and the easy way out....Β Β 

Atlas needs to make alot of tough choices it needs a face lift and it needs to rise above being a mindless game for griefers into something that is more akin with what the masses would enjoy!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Sulfurblade said:

Sorry In Game AH are a Band Aid System for games with a crap Economy!!!Β  And yes I count World of Warcraft among games that have a CRAP economy!!!

Vendors are the only way to foster an economy inside of a Sandbox MMORPG.

There is no reason that Freeports need to become trade hubs but I and others recommend Freeports because of the safezone that goes along with them.

If your going to have a successful, shop its going to be more likely to prosper inside of a zone of safety!Β  Problem is there are no game mechanics that allow players to put Vendors at Freeports, so they need to put them out in the normal world...

Problem with this is = Atlas is a group of islands with mangy dogs who run around marking there tree's constantly and waiting to attack the first thing that steps foot on there island.

Yes there could infact be Players who are indeed inclined to set up a nice port with vendors and attempt to make coin via trade, but who is going to risk dropping anchor at every island in the world till you find these places?!?Β Β 

So yes the simple fix is an AH for an environment like that one we have in atlas!

But that doesn't fix the problem, and the problem is all the mangy dogs who mark there territory daily that are ready to rip the face off of the first person that steps foot on there island.

^^^^Β  That is what needs to be fixed, we need game systems that create law and order.Β  Β Game systems that punish players for mindless violence!Β  Game systems that allow for a sense of safety in locations that people may want to turn into a trade hub!Β  NPC ships that hunt pirates down, would be far better then silly ships of the damned which should not be everywhere but only in the golden age ruins zones as they don't belong everywhere they don't make sense to be everywhere!

Β 

The game needs to learn the concept of Yin and Yan, Good and Evil, without one the other can't exist, a good game strives for balance and promotes the game play of all, from solo explorers and crafters to the large groups of adventures.Β Β 

Β 

I could never promote an Auction House system every in any game because they only lower the quality of the game!Β  Vendors are always superior because of Yin and Yan, Good an Evil, Crafters and Consumers, Merchants and Sellers...Β  Most of the pvp inclined are not Crafters and they are not Sellers they are Consumers and a Consumer will always want an Auction House because its the peak of a Lazy consumer economy!!!Β  Perfect for Mindless PvP players....

Β 

But Vendors, require the commitment of those that run them, they require strategys from Selling at a high price and always have stock to selling at a discount price and always being sold out, and balancing the reputation of your vendor as being one that is Cheep or one that is Reliable and in stock or one that is somehow cheep and reliable!Β  This gives other play styles avenues to play the game, but auction houses don't foster good game play for the online business man or crafter they make the game far less fun for people who want to create an online business!

Β 

Nope I could never support an auction house system inside of a game I want to succeed.Β  Because they are wanting and lacking and the easy way out....Β Β 

Atlas needs to make alot of tough choices it needs a face lift and it needs to rise above being a mindless game for griefers into something that is more akin with what the masses would enjoy!

Wow! This was a pretty damn good read. Just like in boomers thread, IΒ agree with everything you said. TheΒ problem here isΒ not only will they listen, but will they change their game enough to make it awesome.

the one thing i will say that is not even disagreeing is that I made the first auction house thread and at this moment I still stuck to it. If they could actually accomplish all the things that @SulfurbladeΒ was saying then β€œyes, there would be no need for an AH and it would definitely not be good”.Β 

Having said that when it comes to the current playershop vs. auction house, I will still definitely vote for the auction house.

this is definitely a situational decision.

I found a couple of mods yesterday, one of which was for building a town and setting up NPCs for trade, and another that would add more NPCs to Freeports. Maybe they could be added to a town made in the first mod, too. If I track them down I'll mention them. They would be nice additions to a private server or even a single player game.

Well, I'm off to level up a Tapejara I tamed from a mod I'm using, then make lots of Tranq arrows to go Quetz hunting. Mods, gotta love them. πŸ™‚

I rather like the idea of your player shops also being able to buy requested items at a price set by the owners. The reason i suggested the auction house is to cut down on time spent. Yes there is a few groups that do trade rss but with such a large map it is often more economical to farm yourself. People make their gold in a variety of different ways in this game and trading seems to be lacking. More players would be ideal to solve this whole situation but this won't be coming for a long time yet (i expect there to be a spike at release and then fanboys will drop off again) an ingame auction house at freeports would work well for both pve and pvp. The rapid decay also prevents loitering, small companies would have alot of danger and frustration of long distance travel removed on pve and pvp. You can start noticing the names of people selling on auction house and make more connections. Like i said with the player base lacking i feel this would greatly boost the games alure. I just feel that a great economy would boost the games health in general. There isn't much to dump gold into other than upgrading gear atm.

Auction house killed diablo 3. What would be cool is having an interface that show you stores in real time, or show you the offers. So you decide if worth traveling to get deals, maps or blue prints.

Edited by Emanuel a
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, seruum said:

I rather like the idea of your player shops also being able to buy requested items at a price set by the owners. The reason i suggested the auction house is to cut down on time spent. Yes there is a few groups that do trade rss but with such a large map it is often more economical to farm yourself. People make their gold in a variety of different ways in this game and trading seems to be lacking. More players would be ideal to solve this whole situation but this won't be coming for a long time yet (i expect there to be a spike at release and then fanboys will drop off again) an ingame auction house at freeports would work well for both pve and pvp. The rapid decay also prevents loitering, small companies would have alot of danger and frustration of long distance travel removed on pve and pvp. You can start noticing the names of people selling on auction house and make more connections. Like i said with the player base lacking i feel this would greatly boost the games alure. I just feel that a great economy would boost the games health in general. There isn't much to dump gold into other than upgrading gear atm.

Yes you are very correct. An auction house will definitely cut down on wasted time. I have always been in favor of this.

if the devs can actually make an mmo that I think vendors would actually be a better idea.

but if they choose to stick with the way they are going the only hope is an auction house. It is either going to be a kiddie pool or an ocean lol no in betweenΒ 

2 hours ago, Emanuel a said:

Auction house killed diablo 3. What would be cool is having an interface that show you stores in real time, or show you the offers. So you decide if worth traveling to get deals, maps or blue prints.

This is a great idea. I would vote for this even if you have to goto a webpage on the official site.

8 hours ago, Emanuel a said:

Not a fan of auction house butΒ do like this idea.

What the devs should do is join a few trading discords And get an Impression on how the biggest ones are working And try to implement that into the Game. I Dont know much of the PvP trading aspect but for PVE EU there were 3 Big trading discord of which 2 stopped because it is a shit ton of work for the Company And traders. Might even join Voice with some of those traders just to get some Ideas thrown together And discuss whats possible or Not. As they are now Doing those QoL patches this would also be the Time to improve how trading in atlas can be made more attractive so there will be more traders Doing the work And also make it easier for costumers. To find what they Look for

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Emanuel a said:

Sorry interfaces and third party programs that do this type of thing, I am definately not a fan of, as it just turns vendors into a mutated form of an Auction House as it brings the same horrible feature that Auction Houses create back to the fore front, and that is the ability to see all prices of an item with no effort and then be able to undercut said price bye a Penny!

Β 

Maybe I could see an ingame feature that is Hidden at the end of a very specialized Profesion Path but even then people will just create an alt to exploit that skill, so even then it doesn't really work.

1 hour ago, Sulfurblade said:

Sorry interfaces and third party programs that do this type of thing, I am definately not a fan of, as it just turns vendors into a mutated form of an Auction House as it brings the same horrible feature that Auction Houses create back to the fore front, and that is the ability to see all prices of an item with no effort and then be able to undercut said price bye a Penny!

Β 

Maybe I could see an ingame feature that is Hidden at the end of a very specialized Profesion Path but even then people will just create an alt to exploit that skill, so even then it doesn't really work.

I can see your Point. There are many ways to improve ingame trading with close to no erffort. First And easiest would be an on/off toggle to see player Shops on the Map. Next would be a rid of ownership paper which can be sold in player Shops Which allows you to buy 1 specific tame with that paper. Undercutting by 1 Gold might be a thing but you still Need to Sail all the way so you can still buy to your closest Shop. Add a whitelist to Flags Which allows Other Company to Build playershops Without Building range Restriktionen.Β 

58 minutes ago, zottel said:

I can see your Point. There are many ways to improve ingame trading with close to no erffort. First And easiest would be an on/off toggle to see player Shops on the Map. Next would be a rid of ownership paper which can be sold in player Shops Which allows you to buy 1 specific tame with that paper. Undercutting by 1 Gold might be a thing but you still Need to Sail all the way so you can still buy to your closest Shop. Add a whitelist to Flags Which allows Other Company to Build playershops Without Building range Restriktionen.Β 

I like one idea here and that is the ability to see where player vendors are located...this doesn't give away price or level of stock it just simply lets a person know where to find a player vendor and that I am all for!

Would be a good idea in a Freeport since those are junk zones to start in but after that they sit there and have other purpose should get rid of some of the freeport zones.Β 

15 hours ago, Emanuel a said:

The AH was controversial in D3 but the lack of trade options in D3 is possibly worse imo. PoE does have a robust trading system but it handled in 3rd party sites which is OK but kind of awkward.Β 

I think thisΒ idea is great however. Some sort of in game system that you can post trades and prices but still promotes traveling, exploration and interaction.Β 

I was initially interested in the AH idea but the more I think about it the less I think it would work. Players would only need to travel to their nearest AH and although it does give a sense of a larger player base you don’t really interact with those players.Β 

This system is a much better idea and could even be inter gratedΒ into the player shops somehow. This would also need to be accompanied with some sort of way to communicate with the sellers, haggle prices and coordinate trades.Β 

I like regional markets.Β  Go to a freeport.Β  Find market vendor and put the goods you brought with up for sale.Β  All market vendors in that freeport zone show the same goods put up for sale on the other islands in the same freeport zone and they can be picked up from one another.Β  Example:Β  Go to south freeport island market vendor and purchase goods that were put up for sale in same zone at the north island.Β  The goods are transfered to the purchaser at the south island.Β  Saves time and decay on the boat.Β  Its not like you can be intercepted picking it up from another island in the freeport.Β 

People can put in sell/buy orders and/or sell/buy immediately if the price is right.Β  Let people also see what goods at all freeport markets and their prices.Β  You can buy if you want, but you have to sail there to pick it up.Β  This promotes transporting goods and gold.Β 

People say why buy/sell when you can do it yourself.Β  This is true in almost all games.Β  Sure some are easier than others, but in the end convenience and time are a HUGE factor.Β  If I want to build a mythical brig and I am short on a couple resources found in multiple locations I can either plan a trip to get it or hit up the market and have the resources much sooner.Β  I haveΒ  all this gold laying around so why waste hours farming when I could travel 2 zones and buy it.Β  I'd also like to see maps, BP's, and finished goods for sale as well.Β  Hell if they could auction ships that would be awesome.Β  I'd love to see where that could go.Β  So many BP's go to waste due to lack of time/needed mats to build them.Β  I have 50 laying around I want to build, I just can't.Β  Don't have the time to farm it all up and transport it back.Β  I also have more than enough gold, but cannot really spend it on anything.Β  A regional market could solve that issue in one night.Β 

Β 

EDIT:Β  Take it a step further.Β  Allow transportation contracts.Β  Buy resource your region does not have from another regional market.Β  Setup vcontract to have it shipped to your regional freeport for pickup.Β  Puts more ships at sea transporting goods.Β  If I was transporting a package to another freeport you better believe I am looking for resources I have that are on the rarer side at the destination so I can bring them with and sell them and then doing the same for the trip back.Β 

Edited by DocHolliday

So i think from this post we can all agree some sort of trading system change needs to be implemented. There are some great ideas here.

Alright we are into trading.

I agree that we need to get law and order somehow automated. The new claim system is a step in the right direction.

I also agree that we need something valuable to sell. Something that is very rare & unique. To scroll through blueprints just to find the highest number seems boring.

But for the shops: I would love to see a feature where you can ask for stuff in your shop. "I buy wood stacks of 500 for 50g each" for example. So you can buy & sell in the same structure.

Why? So that if you get a marketplace with a lot of shops you can scan all offers and maybe buy here, sell over there and make profit. Thats fun!

I like the idea of getting more info about player shops on the map.
So how about this?
Don't show single shops but show the density of shops on a certain island. A big purple circle that grows bigger if there are more shops from different companies. So you can see that there is a big market but thats it!

How to get a big market?
Give the Land owner an advantage. The bigger the market on your island the smaller the upkeep up to a point where you generate gold in your flag.
(Just an example, that would inflate the gold value even more and could be abused)

How to protect the market from dogs?
Add the good old claim flag πŸ˜›
Only the Land Owner can place it and maybe just one of it. And inside there are of the flag it is PvE and the more shops inside, the lower the upkeep of this one

Just thoughts πŸ˜„

Edited by Kappinski

38 minutes ago, Kappinski said:

Alright we are into trading.

I agree that we need to get law and order somehow automated. The new claim system is a step in the right direction.

I also agree that we need something valuable to sell. Something that is very rare & unique. To scroll through blueprints just to find the highest number seems boring.

But for the shops: I would love to see a feature where you can ask for stuff in your shop. "I buy wood stacks of 500 for 50g each" for example. So you can buy & sell in the same structure.

Why? So that if you get a marketplace with a lot of shops you can scan all offers and maybe buy here, sell over there and make profit. Thats fun!

I like the idea of getting more info about player shops on the map.
So how about this?
Don't show single shops but show the density of shops on a certain island. A big purple circle that grows bigger if there are more shops from different companies. So you can see that there is a big market but thats it!

How to get a big market?
Give the Land owner an advantage. The bigger the market on your island the smaller the upkeep up to a point where you generate gold in your flag.
(Just an example, that would inflate the gold value even more and could be abused)

How to protect the market from dogs?
Add the good old claim flag πŸ˜›
Only the Land Owner can place it and maybe just one of it. And inside there are of the flag it is PvE and the more shops inside, the lower the upkeep of this one

Just thoughts πŸ˜„

Thats something were all sides Profit even if it doesnt lower upkeep. You can sell stuff, your settlers can sell stuff And if your shops running Good others will Start Placing Shops. Also add request function, like we wanna have 500k bark And add a Price at which you wanna buy it. Ressource Selling is the easiest Part of starting Getting Gold as new player And get your Business started. Also atlas Totally is missing People just for transporting CargoΒ 

4 minutes ago, zottel said:

Thats something were all sides Profit even if it doesnt lower upkeep. You can sell stuff, your settlers can sell stuff And if your shops running Good others will Start Placing Shops. Also add request function, like we wanna have 500k bark And add a Price at which you wanna buy it. Ressource Selling is the easiest Part of starting Getting Gold as new player And get your Business started. Also atlas Totally is missing People just for transporting CargoΒ 

But what to do with gold? Even if we get filthy rich, what do we do? There are no fancy items to buy. Everything you could sell gets its value by time it took to farm it or a little bit of RNG.
This gets a little bit too far away from the topic but I would love to see a crafting system similar to this other MMO New World. There you get different quality levels of "wood" for example and you can craft something with just tier 1 wood or tier 4 wood. Or a mixture. And the higher the quality of materials the higher the stats of the object. Love it!
Imagine this for every single type of resource πŸ˜„ Not only could you buy aged wood but you could buy aged wood tier 4 which is super rare πŸ˜„

On 7/4/2019 at 7:57 AM, Kappinski said:

But what to do with gold? Even if we get filthy rich, what do we do? There are no fancy items to buy. Everything you could sell gets its value by time it took to farm it or a little bit of RNG.
This gets a little bit too far away from the topic but I would love to see a crafting system similar to this other MMO New World. There you get different quality levels of "wood" for example and you can craft something with just tier 1 wood or tier 4 wood. Or a mixture. And the higher the quality of materials the higher the stats of the object. Love it!
Imagine this for every single type of resource πŸ˜„ Not only could you buy aged wood but you could buy aged wood tier 4 which is super rare πŸ˜„

If you have every tried upgrading mythic gear or making an intelligence set you will know where gold can go in a hurry.