Sign in to follow this  
Swabslinger

Why wind should never die down

5 minutes ago, Kummba said:

So 2 hours for complete world = 1 h for any point to any point.
QED.

The one hours is not at any time, but it is doable. People tend to hyperbolism for slower speed, so i did same to make some people think. But dont underestimate a full weight leveled stripped down schooner/gally.
U know the server have a slight time-offset from east to west, so u can travel at strongest wind all the time for example?

Yes, I know that the world is round. "World-crossing" means 'to the furthest port from your starting location'. Maybe you might win the wind-lottery and have gale force winds at your back the entire trip - but we all know that ain't gonna happen ever. Anyway, the point of this thread is that doldrums aren't fun and turn sailing into a painful chore. Like fog, they should happen extremely rarely.

Ok, i kinda agree, but the low wind phase is way shorter then the high wind phase allready.

12 minutes ago, Kummba said:

Ok, i kinda agree, but the low wind phase is way shorter then the high wind phase allready.

Yes but you notice the 10 minutes of doldrums way more than you notice the 90 mins of good wind. It’s about eliminating a mechanic that overall detracts from the experience for most players rather than adding to it.

• Like 3

Thats why education is good for us!

If you ellimingate to many things, you can also eliminate the cause you travel for.

As i said before: Sailing is boring because nothing essencial awaits you at your destination anymore. If it would, nobody would care about a short period of bad wind.

2 minutes ago, Kummba said:

Thats why education is good for us!

If you ellimingate to many things, you can also eliminate the cause you travel for.

As i said before: Sailing is boring because nothing essencial awaits you at your destination anymore. If it would, nobody would care about a short period of bad wind.

Debatable.  I think it's quite possible that if you give players something more compelling at their destination, the frustration at doldrums impeding and slowing down arrival at said destination might actually increase. I think one possible solution would be to add content specifically in mind as something to do during those doldrums. Perhaps music and dance options with the potential to shorten the doldrum period might be a good idea, or some mechanic that could be coupled with the intelligence buff provided by dolphins to further incentivize crafting during such downtimes (increased dolphin spawns during doldrums would obviously be part of this). Mini events involving mermaids or other otherwise rare ocean spawns would be a great way to create an upside to something that currently only has a downside.

I might repeat myself, but you should NOT increase the likelyhood of having your ship destroyed in order to "make sailing more interesting".

I do not find losing a ship interesting or entertaining by any stretch of the imagination!

You could of course introduce more things to encounter, but it should be a conscious decision of each individual player to encounter them.

If you just want to haul ass from A to B, you should totally be able to do that, without too much disruption (if you choose to take the "boring" route).

I have no wish to engage in SotD or mermaid battle when i am carrying tons of rare metals across the atlas.

I understand that i should not be able to completely avoid them alltogether, but there should be some kind of risk vs reward balance in terms of risk to run into anything dangerous vs spending a little more time travelling but being more safe.

I think having a "rain dance" type of song where you can shorten the time a doldrum occurs is a good idea, but probably difficult to get it right, as expectedly everyone and their grandmothers would immediately play that song like no tomorrow at the slightest sing of declining wind...

But the devs should keep in mind that the very thing that makes any video game compelling is the ability to decide your own fate and to determine your next action.

Simply put: having a CHOICE!

Being forced to sit on your thumbs because you can't do anything due to sitting on a boat in the middle of nowhere without any means of propulsion and still having to guard it against NPC (who still have propulsion) is the exact opposite of both interesting and fun.

Edited by user1

1 hour ago, Kummba said:

Weird logic, mate.

The time a murderer is actually murdering people usually is much shorter than the time when they're not actively murdering people already.

So what? So now we don't need to do anything against it?

I've been sailing all over since release and find no issues with wind. Sure low wind is a pain, but even on my explorer brig with 2 speed and 1 handling gets above 8 knots in no wind. As Kumma said, its weight vs angle of wind. keep the sails green and you'll have plenty of speed. Last nite I outran a fleet of SOTD in no wind.

I disagree with the post completely!

There is nothing wrong with realistic sailing in a game about sailing....  The Problem is NOT the variable wind the Problem is the ability for 

Galleons (Aka 1st Rates, they are not really galleons) being able to have as much positive momentum as a Sloop or Schooner!  Its just completely un-realistic!

No or low wind should stop a Galleon Dead in its tracks like .5 Knots or less dead in its tracks!

And the Brig's with there three speed sails(Square sails), they too should stop dead in there tracks like 1-1.5 Knots or less....

Schooners and Sloops with Lanteen Sails (Maneuvering Sails) should be able to reach 3-6 Knots assuming they are not overweight!

^^^^  This would be realistic and it would help solve one of the glaring issues in the game with the biggest ship always being the best ship "LUNACY"

First rates were NOT CARGO ships people!  They were "man of wars" and there Cargo was Cannons!  

And Wind was there mortal enemy!  The Santisima the largest 1st rate to even sail went to davy jones locker because it was trapped in it and useless.

It might be best that everyone gets a slider config option where they can set the amount of low-wind they want.

Seems like some idiots thoroughly enjoy that ridiculous bullshit, so let them have it!

Let ME turn it down to zero, though, please.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sulfurblade said:

I disagree with the post completely!

There is nothing wrong with realistic sailing in a game about sailing....  The Problem is NOT the variable wind the Problem is the ability for 

Galleons (Aka 1st Rates, they are not really galleons) being able to have as much positive momentum as a Sloop or Schooner!  Its just completely un-realistic!

No or low wind should stop a Galleon Dead in its tracks like .5 Knots or less dead in its tracks!

And the Brig's with there three speed sails(Square sails), they too should stop dead in there tracks like 1-1.5 Knots or less....

Schooners and Sloops with Lanteen Sails (Maneuvering Sails) should be able to reach 3-6 Knots assuming they are not overweight!

^^^^  This would be realistic and it would help solve one of the glaring issues in the game with the biggest ship always being the best ship "LUNACY"

First rates were NOT CARGO ships people!  They were "man of wars" and there Cargo was Cannons!  

And Wind was there mortal enemy!  The Santisima the largest 1st rate to even sail went to davy jones locker because it was trapped in it and useless.

Fortunately games are not realistic.  This is not a sailing simulator!

• Like 1

Yeh as i've said before whenever a bad mechanic is mentioned,the old realistic sailing chestnut raises its pointless head,when was the last time you read a maritime book or visited a museum and noticed a galleon with torpedoes,submarine,giant tame crab and dragon support?Unless you were reading captain nemo of course.realism ha ha.