Sign in to follow this  
Swabslinger

Why wind should never die down

I understand that doldrums are a thing in real life, but in a video game, all this game mechanic does is say, "Don't play right now". Countless times my friend and I have been out treasure hunting and the wind dies down to almost nothing. At that point, there's no point in wasting time sailing. If that's what you wanted to be doing, you log off. The wind should always be at full strength. The changing direction is enough of a mechanic to add some planning requirements to sailing. 

• Like 4

i agree about 90% i think wind speed  can adjust , it just goes down to much to causing a not fun game experience  

• Like 3

Build some decent sails, a combination of GOOD speed and handling and you can maintain good speed even with shitty wind.

Game is already easy enough with the ability to sail directly into the wind.

• Sad 1

The wheather often forces me to not go sailing with the current ship: be it bad wind direction, no wind, rain, fog, cold gale. Only the bad winbd direction lasts longer than 5 minutes because even the 'no wind' episodes are short. 'Not enough wind' might be a bigger issue depending on your choice of sails ... anyway. You are speaking for plenty of people when you say that wheather makes us stop playing then and there with that ship.
(I usually fast travel to another ship at the other side of the world and continue playing. In PvE that's easy because you don't have to safeguard anchored ships.
Also, there is the daily round of bed-activation and trough and larder filling that needs to happen. Building chores are long done by now, but they used to be bad-wheather options as well.)

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, True Sonja said:

Build some decent sails, a combination of GOOD speed and handling and you can maintain good speed even with shitty wind.

How does GOOD speed sails help you considering max. velocity stat doesn´t work? 😉 Which means legendary speed sails give you the same speed as common speed sails. Regarding "game is already easy" - you really consider sailing a challenge? Its not hard, its only time consuming. 

OP: I agree with you, everything which speeds up travelling on a long distances is a good direction to follow. 

Edited by Willard

Again, it takes less then an hour to go from any point to any point on the map.

Get good .... weather mechanics, weight management, logistics ..... or complain again.
Speed is more about angle then strength.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Kummba said:

Get good .... weather mechanics, weight management, logistics ..... or complain again.

Ye, sure 😄 Try it with normally loaded PvP ship, not with an empty galleon under ideal circumstances. Sailing is not about skill man, don't pretend it is. You either have a good wind and you sail or you don't and you don't sail. Thats it. If you got limited amount of time to play and you have a bad luck you can log out and try tomorrow 😉

Edited by Willard

On 6/30/2019 at 5:29 AM, True Sonja said:

Speed sails currently do not work.

You do not get any bonus from crafting higher grade speed sails right now, so 50% of what you wrote is just bullshit.

The other 50% are directed toward sailing against the wind, which is entirely not what this thread is about.

It is not about the direction of the wind at all.

It is that the frequency at which doldrums appear is much too high and that the wind force during a doldrum is far too low.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Willard said:

Ye, sure 😄 Try it with normally loaded PvP ship, not with an empty galleon under ideal circumstances. Sailing is not about skill man, don't pretend it is. You either have a good wind and you sail or you don't and you don't sail. Thats it. If you got limited amount of time to play and you have a bad luck you can log out and try tomorrow 😉

Ok, you choose to complain again, its fine.

I agree that the min. Speed or wind Needs to be increased but kumba has a good Point too, as weight Management And Decent Handlingsail can work against Bad wind directions And doldrums to maintain a certain Speed 

1 hour ago, Kummba said:

Ok, you choose to complain again, its fine.

If some mechanic is bad I complain, yes. Thats called feedback. I know how to maximise my speed to get from point A to point B. My problem is it simply takes too long and it is too dependand on luck 😉 you cannot plan your journeys if you play only 3-4 hours a day. You either have luck and a good wind and you go or you don't and you log out.

I stopped playing already because of this (mostly), but I like Atlas and I want to play it in future again, thats why Im trying to give feedback so the game is in a good shape. I want it to be filled with people, not played by 1000 most dedicated players on a servers with 30k capacity. 

Edited by Willard

34 minutes ago, Willard said:

If some mechanic is bad I complain, yes. Thats called feedback. I know how to maximise my speed to get from point A to point B. My problem is it simply takes too long and it is too dependand on luck 😉 you cannot plan your journeys if you play only 3-4 hours a day. You either have luck and a good wind and you go or you don't and you log out.

I stopped playing already because of this (mostly), but I like Atlas and I want to play it in future again, thats why Im trying to give feedback so the game is in a good shape. I want it to be filled with people, not played by 1000 most dedicated players on a servers with 30k capacity. 

Ok, you choose to give feedback again, its fine.

On 6/29/2019 at 4:47 PM, Swabslinger said:

I understand that doldrums are a thing in real life, but in a video game, all this game mechanic does is say, "Don't play right now". Countless times my friend and I have been out treasure hunting and the wind dies down to almost nothing. At that point, there's no point in wasting time sailing. If that's what you wanted to be doing, you log off. The wind should always be at full strength. The changing direction is enough of a mechanic to add some planning requirements to sailing. 

I agree, it isn't some single player sailing sim where you can just shut the game off with no worries at any point and has to respect actual realistic sailing conditions. I know some players wish that it was a super accurate sailing sim, but that was never really going to happen. Some of us can't be on the game for hours on end waiting for our ship to slog along because the wind died. 

I do appreciate realism except in cases where it makes the game unenjoyable. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, trashguy said:

Undisputed #1 NA navy here,  wind is fine.

Except it isn’t and the party saying it isn’t laid their argument out with clearly stated reasons why they find fault. Your post does nothing but disagree with nothing to support your position but some assertion that’s irrelevant to the question at hand.

Personally I feel that a certain amount of realism is fine, but realism that leaves you staring helplessly at open sea going nowhere cannot possibly add to one’s enjoyment of the game. If doldrums are predictable the I would suggest that saying to your playerbase  “ we’ve preprogrammed in windows of time where for the sake of realism we’ve arbitrarily decided you shouldn’t sail in our sailing oriented game.” is not a path to success. If doldrums are random and unpredictable, then they are nothing but random and unpredictable frustration when players can’t get where they wanted to go in a timely fashion.

tl:dr version: Atlas has a lot of challenges right now. Eliminating doldrums to make the game more enjoyable should be a no brainer.

Edited by boomervoncannon
  • Like 1

Yeh I agree,the one thing that puts me off of sailing is the time it takes to get anywhere versus the time I actually have to play,which seems a bit silly in a pirate game where sailing and exploration needs to be encouraged.whether you don't mind the speed of sail or not is always going to be dependent on your real life time.What annoys me though is all the people with their giant crabs, torpedoes,submarines and dragons telling other people that the wind at sea needs to be realistic, otherwise it's not a proper pirate game!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, boomervoncannon said:

Except it isn’t and the party saying it isn’t laid their argument out with clearly stated reasons why they find fault. Your post does nothing but disagree with nothing to support your position but some assertion that’s irrelevant to the question at hand.

Personally I feel that a certain amount of realism is fine, but realism that leaves you staring helplessly at open sea going nowhere cannot possibly add to one’s enjoyment of the game. If doldrums are predictable the I would suggest that saying to your playerbase  “ we’ve preprogrammed in windows of time where for the sake of realism we’ve arbitrarily decided you shouldn’t sail in our sailing oriented game.” is not a path to success. If doldrums are random and unpredictable, then they are nothing but random and unpredictable frustration when players can’t get where they wanted to go in a timely fashion.

tl:dr version: Atlas has a lot of challenges right now. Eliminating doldrums to make the game more enjoyable should be a no brainer.

Wind isn't an issue, it does add dynamics to  how we choose to engage a fleets though. It's also a fairly short cycle  if you start sailing out it will change. This dude  is just whining to whine. We truck multiple galleons worth of mats from 6-8 zones a way daily and none of my guys are complaining.

2 minutes ago, trashguy said:

Wind isn't an issue, it does add dynamics to  how we choose to engage a fleets though. It's also a fairly short cycle  if you start sailing out it will change. This dude  is just whining to whine. We truck multiple galleons worth of mats from 6-8 zones a way daily and none of my guys are complaining.

So your argument boils down to:

Me and my friends don’t have an issue with wind, therefore no one else should.  Sorry but this isn’t a compelling case.  Btw the wind changes primarily when you pass into other regions or if you wait for a significant period of time. You aren’t the only person with experience of the game’s wind mechanics. Pop quiz: If a game based largely on sailing over the 1st 6 months of its EA is doing poorly with a fraction of the playerbase it started out with, should the development team 

A) consider altering a mechanic which provides no obvious benefit to anyone but does create frustration as stated by numerous players.

or 

B) listen to one member of your greatly reduced playerbase who claims the mechanic is fine based entirely on the fact his personal acquaintances don’t have an issue with it.

Which of these options has any chance whatsoever of drawing people back to the game?

Hint: not B.

• Like 1

There's an old saying,your best friend is the one who will  tell  you your breath stinks,not the one who won't.When ESO went tam one me and a lot of older players criticized it and were shouted down by all the fanboys for not being  behind the game and it's devs,sometimes the areas are completely empty now, and the fanboys are gone.If you want a game to do well then you have to let them know what you feel is wrong,Ok it's fair to say that you might be wrong,but you still have to say something.Also the devs of this game created these forums for feedback from players.

• Like 1

Weather kills interest in the game.

I spent the day off to swim three squares and collect 2000 gold to pay for the working week for the flag.

I can play when I have free time at this time in the game;

no wind, strong wind in the opposite direction, rain turns the sail, fog, typhoon. Is this on purpose?

Thanks to the developer for one game! I will not rush in the summer. Relax and swim in the real world. I can fly for resources).

Edited by Konvar

On 6/29/2019 at 10:47 PM, Swabslinger said:

Don't completely disagree, there should be periods of slack wind, but no way as near as long as they currently are.

There's Heat Waves, Cold Fronts, Fog, Wind/Cyclone Storms, Rain Storms (Blizzards in north/south) and No Wind Storms. Every so often.. there's good wind and clear skies..

It's like the Devs have removed the idea of weather and replaced it with timesinks.. Heat/Cold Waves can kill you, Fog usually a prerequisite to Sotd spawns, Cyclone Storms can sink your ship. Albeit you'd need to get stuck in every cyclone to get that damaged, but it is essentially a resource time sink. And no wind.. is just a timesink.

There is fair weather.. but not very often.  Storms should be rare.. occur only in specific regions etc Fair weather should be normal and avg condition with moderate winds and rough should be with the waves and high winds.. but should perhaps occur as an imminent warning of more severe storms.   Would also be good if storms occurred within areas of a region, ie only over 1 island etc.. which would make for a nice effect and add immersion.  But I don't know if the game engine could support that.

On 6/30/2019 at 4:29 AM, True Sonja said:

You cannot "sail" into the wind.  Your ship moves extremely slowly against the wind and that is not sailing.. sailing can only occur "with" the wind.

• Like 1

On 7/1/2019 at 5:07 AM, Kummba said:

An hour from any point to any point? Comments like that don't help your credibility. A stripped-down schooner with high quality speed sails will take 10 to 15 minutes to cross an entire zone with excellent wind; and oldrums will increase your time x2. Add in storms, SoTds and the inevitable bad winds, and two to three hours for a complete world-crossing is much more realistic (with that same speed schooner). A slower cargo ship can be looking at four hours plus.

For a lot of people, sailing is what happens between accomplishments. For folks with jobs and families, there are a lot more fun things one can do in four hours - as we can see from the dwindling population.

Edited by Kast
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Kast said:

Add in storms, SoTds and the inevitable bad winds, and two to three hours for a complete world-crossing is much more realistic (with that same speed schooner).

So 2 hours for complete world = 1 h for any point to any point.
QED.

4 minutes ago, Kast said:

A stripped-down schooner with high quality speed sails will take 10 to 15 minutes to cross an entire zone with excellent wind;

4 minutes ago, Kast said:

Comments like that don't help your credibility

The one hours is not at any time, but it is doable. People tend to hyperbolism for slower speed, so i did same to make some people think. But dont underestimate a full weight leveled stripped down schooner/gally.
U know the server have a slight time-offset from east to west, so u can travel at strongest wind all the time for example?

Yeah.

The way to make sailing less boring is to reduce the time we spend at it when simply travelling somewhere.

Increasing the likelyhood of losing your ship while at sea is NOT(!) a way to do it.

I don't know why i feel the need to mention that.

Maybe i expected them to throw some more danger at us without giving us a way to handle it when we're less than 50 people.

8 minutes ago, Kummba said:

So 2 hours for complete world = 1 h for any point to any point.
QED.

The one hours is not at any time, but it is doable. People tend to hyperbolism for slower speed, so i did same to make some people think. But dont underestimate a full weight leveled stripped down schooner/gally.
U know the server have a slight time-offset from east to west, so u can travel at strongest wind all the time for example?

I have spent almost 30 minutes trying to cross ONE server in an empty speed schooner, going with the wind in low wind conditions.

You can take your estimates and stick em where the sun don't shine, mate.

Edited by user1