Sign in to follow this  
Nehebkau

Brig Sails

Building a Brig just to run maps and stuff.  I wanna be able to out run SOD's and be able to move away from them since im not a combat ship.  So, the question is:

3 Large Speed OR 2 Large Speed and 1 Large Handling

Thanks,
Nehe

3 large speed sails will be the fastest as long as you can catch the wind. I've run a brig with that set up pre-wipe and it was pretty quick. That said, my current brig uses 3 handling sails and it can outrun SoD, it just can't get away quite as fast. Being able to catch the wind from practically any angle is pretty handy though. 

Now this is just my opinion, because I haven't tried the 2 LSS and 1 LHS config, but I believe it would be plenty fast, with the added bonus of at least one sail that could pretty much always catch the wind. 

Im currently testing 3 large handling sails. Yes it is slower than 3 speed or 2 speed and 1 handling - as long as the wind is with you. BUT as soon as the wind is against you then you lose that speed and 3 handling will out perform them not only in the turn but they are able to hold the wind for much longer

I have the 2 large speed sails and 1 handling and seems decent enough for me, I haven't compared it to other variations though.

I switched to 2 LSS and 1 LHS and find it more useful, with maintaining a decent top speed. 3 LHS was super agile, but just a bit too much of a speed hit, witch is the way it probably should be. 

I feel like there should be a reasonable advantage to 1, 1 ,and 1 with all 3 types, but i havnt tried it yet.

Don't place anything  on your ship near your sail masts (all levels), that way you can change your sails around at any time if you want (just costs build mats). For my long haul treasure hunting brigs I personally run either 3 Lg Speed, or 2 Lg Speed and 1 Lg Handling.

Avoiding SotD - As long as your ship can do 5-6 knots you will outrun SotD, sure you might take a few volleys, but nothing that is actually concerning. A few levels into Resistance helps to reduce this risk greatly.

If you plan on grabbing flotsam, diving wrecks, and hitting lots of islands for discovery points. The handling sail can really be useful with the extra maneuverability/acceleration it provides.

3 speed and one cargo container would be my recommendation. The brigs are so maneuverable, even one handling sail makes them oversteer like crazy for me. The three speeds will more than offset your cargo container (which will lower your overall speed by 10%), but you can carry more than twice as much as a brig without it, so if you tend to pile up gold on long trips with chain maps, it is a godsend.

One of my guildies runs two handling and a speed, and it usually takes him 50% longer to get to a destination. If we are running together, I have to stay at 2/3 sails the whole trip. Winds matter 1% of the time.

I think the only argument for a handling on a Brig is the great acceleration/deceleration speed they offer (deceleration is much worse than a Schooner OR a Galleon for some reason), so if you are hitting lots of flotsam, or constantly anchoring, you might save a bit of stress.