TyGeR_STD

Fixing foundation spam

My thoughts...

Give each placeable item a point value. Foundations 0 points. Ceiling, wall, doors, roofs, beds ect are 1 point. Smithy, loom, tannary, forge, resources box, are 5 points. Any structure or building that does not have 100 points as a 4 hour decay timer once the owner logs off. The points could be adjusted as needed.  most player structures I've seen, even the crappy starting base are well over the 100 point.  A 8x8, two walls high, flat ceiling with 2 doors and all the crafting stations and resource box would be over 150 points. This can be built in about an hour solo under 1x conditions.  Boats would would not fall under this system.

What are your thoughts?

Have a better idea, please post it.

• Like 1

That's a good idea. Conan Exiles does something similar - a foundation alone lasts 1 hour, but a 2x2 house with a door and roof lasts 48 hours.

No problem..... I will just turn the area I want as a base into a parking lot..... wall to wall foundation....  will be perfect for a landing strip if the airships pictured are ever implemented....

face it..... the new flag system sucks almost as bad as the old system..... until a better one is implemented, foundation/pillar spam Is the workaround....

Only way you gonna “fix” foundation spam is to “fix” the claim system.....

If you see a foundation with my name on it, you are IN my base.....

21 hours ago, TyGeR_STD said:

My thoughts...

Give each placeable item a point value. Foundations 0 points. Ceiling, wall, doors, roofs, beds ect are 1 point. Smithy, loom, tannary, forge, resources box, are 5 points. Any structure or building that does not have 100 points as a 4 hour decay timer once the owner logs off. The points could be adjusted as needed.  most player structures I've seen, even the crappy starting base are well over the 100 point.  A 8x8, two walls high, flat ceiling with 2 doors and all the crafting stations and resource box would be over 150 points. This can be built in about an hour solo under 1x conditions.  Boats would would not fall under this system.

What are your thoughts?

this doesn't address the reasons WHY people foundation spam which are to prevent others from building, others from placing cannons to raid, or just to grief your enemy.

Implement the rule you mentioned for structures not owned by the settlement owner and start the decay timer once the person is out of render range, not when they log out. Cut the timer in half for underwater structures too because the no-build radius on those is absurd, I can't even build on half of my coast because someone has like 5 stone foundations underwater in an area I can't reach.

30 minutes ago, Salty Jack said:

No problem..... I will just turn the area I want as a base into a parking lot..... wall to wall foundation....  will be perfect for a landing strip if the airships pictured are ever implemented....

face it..... the new flag system sucks almost as bad as the old system..... until a better one is implemented, foundation/pillar spam Is the workaround....

Only way you gonna “fix” foundation spam is to “fix” the claim system.....

If you see a foundation with my name on it, you are IN my base.....

So Salty, all you do is bitch about the claim system and blame it for every broken thing in the game. What's your solution then? Keep in mind that foundation spam was a problem in both systems.

In my opinion, we need an upkeep system that goes beyond just paying gold for a settlement. Maybe an upkeep bank and can build within an area (sort of like old claim flag) and every piece of structure has an upkeep cost in materials. The materials would be the normal items used to craft the structure. So if you had an all wood base it would just be wood, thatch, and fiber. Bank would have a limit of 10 days that you could stock in the bank. If you let it run out then the structures become vulnerable and start to decay. This would solve the problem in lawless servers. 

In addition, instead of just having full PvP servers and full PvE servers, they should be combined. I've outlined my ideas before on PvP in regards to outposts in Lawless zones or Golden Age ruins (control points essentially) that could be battled over for control. Once you control it, you get access to special vendors you could purchase from (for skins, special treasure maps, etc) or NPC's that would give out special quests to discover an area, find something, or kill special mobs. Then these could be turned into a vendor at a Freeport. 

Also, the game needs some factions to help the PvP along. Have Freeports controlled by certain factions. You could have an Imperial Faction, a Merchants Faction, a Swashbucklers Faction, etc. If you perform an action that goes against another faction, that flags you for PvP.  You hop on someone else's boat or go on someone's land that isn't your faction, you get flagged for PvP. You steal something from someone, flagged for PvP. 

• Like 1

I do not agree, there are many bad players in the game who want to monopolize the resources in some places.

The spam foundations is the only way to not let them compromise resources and monopolize only to for their companies.

There are many troll players who try to go local to other players' homes and try disturb their buildings.

SYDHART..... I do NOT blame the broken flag system for everything wrong with the game.... I blame it for what is wrong with the claim system only.... broken claim system is pretty much ALL I complain about....

how would I fix it ?.... glad you asked..... First I would do away with lawless , make every island except Freeport’s the same.... Then I would give 5 to 10 claim flags per person..... If you are not within the radius of one of your flags you cannot build....

Areas of valuable resources are no build areas....

This is for PVE by the way...

Edited by Salty Jack
  • Like 1

On 6/26/2019 at 5:15 PM, TyGeR_STD said:

My thoughts...

What are your thoughts?

You are joking right? You expect people to sleep or log off for 4 hours or less at a time? Some people work for a living.. does that mean they can't play?

Any idea that incorporates changes, needs to happen over an 8/10/12 hour period as it needs to be available for all the playerbase, not just those living in lofts, with their pc's and can afford to sleep in 4 hour shifts.. 😉

Otherwise I like the idea. 

Personally I'd like to keep the flag idea.. but only 1 flag per company.. First player gets the biggest chunk, next player, if their flag doesn't interact with first players get's a decent chunk.. if it does, then their area, is the normal amount, except the area where it interacts, where the second player looses out, and their area, just borders the firsts.

That way, it's impossible to steal land.  Flags cannot be removed.  They expire automatically, along with structure and tame demo after 15-20days.  That way, people going on 2 week holidays etc can leave their stuff safely.. all pvp occurs on the sea or in outlying areas.  You can't capture or damage peoples bases. Then people have a base of operation to play from. A safe haven etc.

This idea people have about pvp having to be about being as antisocial and crass as possible is really what turns most people off pvp.  I think it's time, pvp was forced to obey the common rules we all have.  And in turn, I feel it would improve the overall attitude people have towards it.

Edited by Martyn

10 minutes ago, Martyn said:

You are joking right? You expect people to sleep or log off for 4 hours or less at a time? Some people work for a living.. does that mean they can't play.

his idea could work u just need to make sure u build and not just pop down a bed on a foundation , why should silly little 4x4 with a bed and smith and one box be allowed to sit there for weeks at a time ? 

conan exiles small structures decay fast ,why is it not same here ?

single foundations should decay within n hour no exceptions , only increasing as u add more to it , increasing in minutes not hours , im sure devs hade the data for average build size and can adjust timers to suit 

Edited by UDO

5 minutes ago, UDO said:

his idea could work u just need to make sure u build and not just pop down a bed on a foundation , why should silly little 4x4 with a bed and smith and one box be allowed to sit there for weeks at a time ? 

conan exiles small structures decay fast ,why is it not same here ?

single foundations should decay within n hour no exceptions , only increasing as u add more to it , increasing in minutes not hours , im sure devs hade the data for average build size and can adjust timers to suit 

Who said weeks? He said 4 hours.. I said no chance.. I didn't say weeks.. you added that to my statement, this is your problem, you make assumptions about what someone says and twist it into meaning something else, then you reply to that twisted view..

But hey, thanks for letting me know that about conan exiles.. another reason why I won't be buying it added.

Edited by Martyn

36 minutes ago, Salty Jack said:

SYDHART..... I do NOT blame the broken flag system for everything wrong with the game.... I blame it for what is wrong with the claim system only.... broken claim system is pretty much ALL I complain about....

how would I fix it ?.... glad you asked..... First I would do away with lawless , make every island except Freeport’s the same.... Then I would give 5 to 10 claim flags per person..... If you are not within the radius of one of your flags you cannot build....

Areas of valuable resources are no build areas....

This is for PVE by the way...

Easiest way for this is to put rare resources in difficult to access locations, across several islands, so all the resources cannot be blocked.. there are some really nice parts of the game map, occupied by rare resources.. why should one players game suffer because he isn't allowed to build there, so another can access those resources? The argument defeats itself, so make it, that there's plenty of resources, just make them hard to get.

There should be no rules or limitations outside of common rules.  free to play/build maps, should actually be free to play/build in.. if someone has built over the metal spawn... you find another one.. you have no rights to demand they leave..  yes, it would be ideal if they didn't build there, but if they have.. then look elsewhere.. the real problem, is right now, there are no elsewheres.

Edited by Martyn

6 minutes ago, Martyn said:

Who said weeks? He said 4 hours.. I said no chance.. I didn't say weeks.. you added that to my statement, this is your problem, you make assumptions about what someone says and twist it into meaning something else, then you reply to that twisted view..

But hey, thanks for letting me know that about conan exiles.. another reason why I won't be buying it added.

u really need to learn to read noone has said anything about weeks , my reply stated why should silly little 4x4 with a bed and smith and one box be allowed to sit there for weeks at a time ?  

i have made it bigger for you to reread ...

4 hours is good for small TEMPORARY structures 

Edited by UDO

5 minutes ago, UDO said:

u really need to learn to read noone has said anything about weeks , my reply stated why should silly little 4x4 with a bed and smith and one box be allowed to sit there for weeks at a time ?  

i have made it bigger for you to reread ...

4 hours is good for small TEMPORARY structures 

And you didn't even manage to say what you meant to actually say.  Congrats.

By saying "and a smith one box be allowed to sit there for weeks at a time" is exactly saying.. weeks at a time.  Can't you even read what you're saying yourself? Go over it in your own head, before applying it to the text box.

Who decides how long tempory is? Why 4 hours? Why not 12?  12 is plenty of time for tempory foundations.. 4 is too little.  People log out for 8-10 hours at a time sometimes longer.. so 12 hours gives them some leeway..

They could be placing stone foundations and irl gets in the way, they log out.. 4 hours later.. all that work is wasted.. why? So you can maybe put something there instead? Foundation spam is being placed over massive areas.. and lasts for as you said, weeks on end.. continually refreshed.. by the people who live there.

So why not create a way that doesn't require foundation spam.  Make the entire problem itself, into no problem at all.

Edited by Martyn

10 minutes ago, Martyn said:

And you didn't even manage to say what you meant to actually say.  Congrats.

i did say exactly what i wanted to ,  i agreed with him short timers for small amounts of structures ,and then i stated  " why should small structures stay for weeks"  still with me or are u confused ?, you then started spouting about how you didnt say weeks , "Who said weeks? He said 4 hours.. I said no chance.. I didn't say weeks."      nowhere in my reply did i say anything about or quote you as saying weeks , 

Really cannot see why you are confused and unable to comprehend simple simple threads , as all your replies lately you have been cherry picking what you want out of peoples replies and twisting them to suit your very one sided blinkered views ,

Edited by UDO

There are very few ideas in this thread that I like.   Looks like people have fallen in with Grapeshot's idea of controlling the game by punishing the players - more upkeep and really complicated short timers on anything you build. The floggings will continue until everyone is happy.

If there was a sensible (PVE) claim system we wouldn't need ANY upkeep at all, or silly build rules about how much each block is worth.  Everybody gets a piece of land by virtue of paying for the game, the same way everybody gets that "family compass" thing.  Companies get bigger pieces of land according to their size.  People can give other people permission to build on their land, although they don't have to do that.  Timers are set for things to expire keeping in mind that people have lives and jobs and kids and emergencies and vacations.

Problem solved.

As for combining pvp and pve?  Not if you don't want to lose half the player base immediately.

Edited by Winter Thorne

What part of “I will build a parking lot” do you people not understand?.... Do you people really think that your decay formula if it’s attached to a ladder and 3 half walls it will last for so long will stop people from claiming the area they want for their base ?.... It WONT.....

MARTYN.... you say free build maps should have no limitations on what and where to build ?.... sounds like you are condoning pillar spam to me 😉....

And remember kiddies.... if you can read my name on a foundation you are INSIDE my base..... (I’m just more considerate than the average hypocrite on these forums.... I don’t build walls around my base keeping treasure hunters out).... 

14 hours ago, Kast said:

That's a good idea. Conan Exiles does something similar - a foundation alone lasts 1 hour, but a 2x2 house with a door and roof lasts 48 hours.

Conan does have this.  However, that just led to massive walls being built.  The maps can and have led to "Wall Wars".