Sign in to follow this  
Martyn

Blackwood - Dlc? Expansion?

How much will it be?

You know what people will say.. about releasing maps.. for an EA game..

• Confused 1

hahahahahhahahaa...they can't give the game away for $10, you think anyone is going to pay for a dlc.

Since people love numbers here is an up to the minute official server count tool for you to see the devastation.

https://atlas.hgn.hu/

Edited by UnknownSystemError
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Martyn said:

How much will it be?

The Blackwood map was originally developed by ISO, the modders who developed the popular Crystal Isles map for Ark. I notice that the ISO designation seems to have been dropped so perhaps I missed a memo, but the point is such things don’t typically get charged for. On top of which USE is spot on.

They treat PvE like the unwanted stepchild, yet it seems to have a higher playerbase. Ok high is overdoing it, a wee bit more above zero.

2 hours ago, Martyn said:

How much will it be?

noone is going to be paying for it , its coming with next patch unless u can link a source stop throwing out stupid threads and causing players to panic.

Well if they made people buy it I wouldn't even touch it, I'm already struggling to motivate myself to stay on the game as it is and that's with 1300hrs on the clock. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DannyUK said:

Well if they made people buy it I wouldn't even touch it, I'm already struggling to motivate myself to stay on the game as it is and that's with 1300hrs on the clock. 

you should not have to motivate yourself to play a game, the game should be motivating YOU to play. save yourself the grief, get in the dingy and row away from this sinking ship. They need a wipe with a whole new idea of how the game should be. my advice has always been make everything like lawless and scrap the claim system. oh yea and 5 man groups with 1 or no allies allowed. now that is what most people would want. btw I have been playing war/strategy games for over 40 years I started on Atari 2600 and I have over 1000 hrs in atlas.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, UDO said:

noone is going to be paying for it , its coming with next patch unless u can link a source stop throwing out stupid threads and causing players to panic.

People have to actually take him seriously to cause a panic lol. But yes, it has already been stated its a mod for private servers and the upcoming single player mode that will cost you a whopping $0.00.

29 minutes ago, lordkhan4444 said:

you should not have to motivate yourself to play a game, the game should be motivating YOU to play. save yourself the grief, get in the dingy and row away from this sinking ship. They need a wipe with a whole new idea of how the game should be. my advice has always been make everything like lawless and scrap the claim system. oh yea and 5 man groups with 1 or no allies allowed. now that is what most people would want. btw I have been playing war/strategy games for over 40 years I started on Atari 2600 and I have over 1000 hrs in atlas.

The trouble is the game is in the wrong hands unfortunately, if it was in the hands of a very good team who makes mmo's then I could see this game take off. I would even pay subscription if it was done right and alot of things added to the game.

You can see where the game could go but I have no faith in it getting there, still fun to play but yes you are right the game should be motivating us.

In atlas the first map was free I think.. after that, they were all expansions/dlcs and one even came out before the EA ended.   Would be nice to get more info on it, but I think it's fair to say you'll be paying in one way or another.. so I'd rather know up front.. instead of at the last minute.

If it's under £20 I'd probably buy it.

Edited by Martyn

1 hour ago, DannyUK said:

The trouble is the game is in the wrong hands unfortunately, if it was in the hands of a very good team who makes mmo's then I could see this game take off. I would even pay subscription if it was done right and alot of things added to the game.

You can see where the game could go but I have no faith in it getting there, still fun to play but yes you are right the game should be motivating us.

I don't think there are any "good" teams anymore.. the devs are run by their publishers or share holders.. to hoops most can't jump through, so they keep pumping out content, content, content.. and never really fix the bugs, anything serious, just gets nerfed into uselessness or removed.  Like flying speed in Ark.  Or the ability to pick up critters in pve ark.. or a dozen other "pvp only" aspects that would have been really cool in pve.  There's no doubt in my mind, that pve atlas, is purely accidental.  If the devs had their way, there would be no pve at all.  It's easier to make a base game, with base content and just leave it to the players to make their own "stories" and almost every game coming out now is exactly the same.  Some even with single players.. they hype the idea of we're given a choice.. but it's a choice that they only, will offer us.  Which is no choice at all.

So ultimately, we do make our own stories.  Utilising what the content provides in the way that suits us best.  If it wasn't for apps like teamspeak, discord etc.. this game and most like it, would have died within weeks of release.  We are the content now.  The only actual bug free content at least.

Edited by Martyn

6 hours ago, UnknownSystemError said:

hahahahahhahahaa...they can't give the game away for $10, you think anyone is going to pay for a dlc.

Since people love numbers here is an up to the minute official server count tool for you to see the devastation.

https://atlas.hgn.hu/

That's interesting as steam claims there's 3k online atm and that tracker, which correctly shows me as the only person in N1 na pve, says there's only 1700 online atm. Across all 4 servers.

Edited by Martyn

16 minutes ago, Martyn said:

That's interesting as steam claims there's 3k online atm and that tracker, which correctly shows me as the only person in N1 na pve, says there's only 1700 online atm. Across all 4 servers.

steam tracks if the exe. is executed not if your in a server of even past the loading screen or main page!  For instance I am quite sure I have about 400 extra hours on arma3 because I left the launcher window open on accident many times!  

Also Steam tracks the logins to Atlas like said above. Those others are most likely on unofficial servers. Still a pittance compared to what the game launched at and the trend has been to ever decreasing numbers no matter the number of times they throw it on 50% or more off.

9 hours ago, Martyn said:

How much will it be?

It should not cost money at all. Scorched earth on ark was the first very big reason that showed the corruption of wildcard. After jeremy breached his contract and lost 40 million dollars they made scorched earth a paid dlc. 

Paid dlc’s should not happen during an early access phase and they got bad media attention for doing so. It was very unethical to say the least.

they said they have changed. Let’s see if it is true. Sorry guys I may not have played atlas but this is the stuff I do know about.

that dlc/expansion better be free or they are just back to their old ways

6 minutes ago, Realist said:

It should not cost money at all. Scorched earth on ark was the first very big reason that showed the corruption of wildcard. After jeremy breached his contract and lost 40 million dollars they made scorched earth a paid dlc. 

Paid dlc’s should not happen during an early access phase and they got bad media attention for doing so. It was very unethical to say the least.

they said they have changed. Let’s see if it is true. Sorry guys I may not have played atlas but this is the stuff I do know about.

It won’t cost anything. I will put 42k doubloons on it. Also if I’m wrong I will personally watch Talano eat a handful of live bees.

Yeah. I said it.

40 minutes ago, boomervoncannon said:

It won’t cost anything. I will put 42k doubloons on it. Also if I’m wrong I will personally watch Talano eat a handful of live bees.

Yeah. I said it.

Well in that case I am glad to see they didn’t get sued this go around 

3 hours ago, Realist said:

What utter rubbish.

Scorched earth was an excellent expansion and well worth the money I spent buying it.  I'd have paid twice for it.   Not only did it add a new map, it add a whole plethora of new dinos and wyverns, golems etc.  As well as the deathworms.   A great weather system and it brought back the desperation of survival.  It's a pity the expansions that followed weren't as good. But SE was worth every penny.

As for it being a single player map etc.. given the handful literally, of people who would even play sp.. I don't see why they're wasting effort on that at all.  Okay if there were 20,000 demands for it, not 4-5.. out of the 2000 total player base roughly?

Same goes for the private server map.. why? Why not beef up their own official servers with the new map?  Or better yet, add it straight into the current map.

imo if it's free.. it'll be worthless.. quite literally.  Anything worthwhile, has to be purchased.

Edited by Martyn

46 minutes ago, Martyn said:

What utter rubbish.

Scorched earth was an excellent expansion and well worth the money I spent buying it.  I'd have paid twice for it.   Not only did it add a new map, it add a whole plethora of new dinos and wyverns, golems etc.  As well as the deathworms.   A great weather system and it brought back the desperation of survival.  It's a pity the expansions that followed weren't as good. But SE was worth every penny.

As for it being a single player map etc.. given the handful literally, of people who would even play sp.. I don't see why they're wasting effort on that at all.  Okay if there were 20,000 demands for it, not 4-5.. out of the 2000 total player base roughly?

Same goes for the private server map.. why? Why not beef up their own official servers with the new map?  Or better yet, add it straight into the current map.

imo if it's free.. it'll be worthless.. quite literally.  Anything worthwhile, has to be purchased.

Completely false. First off the two best maps on ark were the center and ragnarok which were the free maps made by modders. Secondly is is unethical for them to do what they did.

you are also very wrong about single player. Jat said himself on twitter 1 day ago the reason they made single player because “it has been highly requested” so I guess if you are calling him a liar you can stick to your 4-5 people statement.

I also watch their twitter feed and for the past 6 months have seen 1000’s of requests for single player. There is a lot of different conversations on Twitter from that of the forums. Single player can help them bring in money. Just like console release will as well.

if you are willing to pay more than twice the asking price I am sure they love you at the car dealership. 

As far as free being worthless goes, once again the only good maps on ark were the center and rag.

i don’t see pc bringing in more money. I do however see single player and console bringing in money.

Edited by Realist

8 hours ago, Martyn said:

the tracker is the amount playing official where the game should be played ,

7 hours ago, Realist said:

Completely false. First off the two best maps on ark were the center and ragnarok which were the free maps made by modders. Secondly is is unethical for them to do what they did.

you are also very wrong about single player. Jat said himself on twitter 1 day ago the reason they made single player because “it has been highly requested” so I guess if you are calling him a liar you can stick to your 4-5 people statement.

I also watch their twitter feed and for the past 6 months have seen 1000’s of requests for single player. There is a lot of different conversations on Twitter from that of the forums. Single player can help them bring in money. Just like console release will as well.

if you are willing to pay more than twice the asking price I am sure they love you at the car dealership. 

As far as free being worthless goes, once again the only good maps on ark were the center and rag.

i don’t see pc bringing in more money. I do however see single player and console bringing in money.

Proves my point exactly, center and ragnarok were garbage maps that noone played on for more than a few days.  Console players should be banned from the internet.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, UDO said:

the tracker is the amount playing official where the game should be played ,

That is very true. The tracker doesn’t take into consideration the unofficial players. So even if there is 2k people on steam the tracker probably 1100. 

It is pretty consistent that it’s about a 60/40 split where 60 percent of the players are on official and 40 percent are on unofficial. At the low point of the day it gets closer to 50/50.

i usually just cut the number in half so today’s low of 1500 people was really about 750 for all official servers which would be about 180 average per cluster. 

25 minutes ago, Martyn said:

Proves my point exactly, center and ragnarok were garbage maps that noone played on for more than a few days.  Console players should be banned from the internet.

Good to see you dropped the whole single player thing. That wasn’t a good idea.

14 hours ago, DannyUK said:

So true this +100.

It's like they seriously don't know what fun is in a game.

1 hour ago, Martyn said:

ummm, no idea where you're getting this notion but as of last fall when I quit playing Ark regularly Ragnarok was the long standing most popular map in the game, including both officials and unofficials. I just checked Battlemetrics, which used to show the number of servers using each map, and while for some reason it no longer does, I can assure you I made use of that website regularly for a period of about 2 years and Ragnarok was consistently the most widely used map in the game, by itself typically being used on about 40% of all servers. The Center, while not quite so popular, was still consistently one of the top half dozen maps in use, so the notion these were "garbage" maps that "no one played for more than a few days" is simply not consistent with both available information and my own personal experience as someone who ran a four server Ark cluster for more than a year. Many players first question when considering joining my Ark private community was "Do you have the Ragnarok map?"

Ok so my opinions are your notions.. check.

They were still garbage maps.  Free dlcs..

Scorched Earth was a tough map, where 99% of the players who joined, left crying salty tears.  Or played in sp so they could cheat everything in.

Ragnarok, Center, Aberation were by comparison garbage.  Easy maps.

Extinction is another excellent map. 

In my obvious opinion.

As for players on servers.. what does that mean? What was the cultural makeup of your servers? Who was playing them? Why were they playing them? Easy to exploit? Easy to complete? Garbage maps.. Just saying..my opinion, don't like.. you know where to put that objection.

Edited by Martyn