Sign in to follow this  
Realist

Really hoping I didn’t look up the wrong eve

Did the developers say they were going to base atlas after Eve, the  game that had a max player base of 6k for its entirety? If I looked up the right game on steam charts(yes, it was actually the first time I looked it up), then ok, I completely understand where most of these guys are coming from. I promise I will go easy on everyone now.

i get the whole 5k people is enough and that when numbers seem very low some people don’t think it is that way. God, I wish I would have looked that up 6 months ago. Why do you think I base everything off of ark numbers? I am an ark player that is used to anywhere from 50-100k on the game.

my bad, yeah atlas isn’t doing that bad in this case. Not being sarcastic either. I promise I am not. I do have a new understanding and I will now act accordingly.

talk about apples and oranges. Smh at myself 

2 hours ago, Realist said:

Did the developers say they were going to base atlas after Eve, the  game that had a max player base of 6k for its entirety? If I looked up the right game on steam charts(yes, it was actually the first time I looked it up), then ok, I completely understand where most of these guys are coming from. I promise I will go easy on everyone now.

i get the whole 5k people is enough and that when numbers seem very low some people don’t think it is that way. God, I wish I would have looked that up 6 months ago. Why do you think I base everything off of ark numbers? I am an ark player that is used to anywhere from 50-100k on the game.

my bad, yeah atlas isn’t doing that bad in this case. Not being sarcastic either. I promise I am not. I do have a new understanding and I will now act accordingly.

talk about apples and oranges. Smh at myself 

Umm...the Eve they were referring to is one of the longest running, most well established MMO's in the industry. My guess is the steam charts show you only the players accessing Eve through steam, which in Eve's case is a minority. As noted on Eve's wikipedia page (maybe one of the first places you should have looked when researching the game), players can access Eve through steam or the game's own website directly. You should also note the chart on the wikipedia page tracking Eve's alltime subscriber base, which shows a peak of half a million in 2013 and steady increase from launch to that point.  

I would also point out that the wikipedia page notes that PC Gamer ranked Eve #12 on it's list of 100 greatest video games of all time in 2013.   For a more definitive look at Eve's concurrency numbers, you can look here:

https://eve-offline.net/?server=tranquility

About 17k online atm with an average of 32k over the past year and 34k AVERAGE CONCURRENCY all time, dating all the way back to 2003. This is a good example of why you should be careful not to make assumptions about things you are not really well informed about as this post does not come across well in that regard.

Edited by boomervoncannon
  • Like 2

Well, lets face the truth : Atlas was a 50k shooting star in december and 5k with declining tendency actually.

Even a hardcore pirate fan like me did load ARK again yesterday. ARK devs are not perfect,but dont steer the ship directly to the iceberg, like super-fail Grapeshot is doing.

SmallTribe servers will do, 6 players max with no alliances sounds good for a mega company hater.

Q: Why did the console player cross the street?

A: So the buildings on the other side of the road would be rendered.

Have you already played through all the 7 games that are available for your trash toy so you need to get on everybody's nerves again?

Edited by user1

Does anyone who has played both games really think atlas  has based  anything on eve? Because i played this game since release and i played eve from 2009 until  2014 and i don't see it.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, znasser said:

Does anyone who has played both games really think atlas  has based  anything on eve? Because i played this game since release and i played eve from 2009 until  2014 and i don't see it.

Well, both have a form of territorial claims in which they are vulnerable within limited time windows, both have ships that take forever to get anywhere as the primary mode of transportation, both are really grindy, and both developers meet with and talk to the larger groups of players to hear their thoughts on the future of the game.

Though really those are just things the two games have in common. It would be like saying Fortnite is based on Counter-Strike because both have a variety of guns, you can take cover behind buildings and the goal is to be the last one standing. You could make the argument, and while technically not incorrect it would be a stretch to say one is "based on" the other.

When EVE launched, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Dawson's Creek and Firefly were still on tv. I'd call that a long run.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, znasser said:

As kidori pointed out, there is enough there that if you look closely you can see it, but the fact you have extensive Eve experience and didn’t probably says more about Grapeshot’s fundamental grasp of MMO design and what makes Eve work than it does about your powers of perception. It honestly winds up making Grapeshot look like some sort of Cargo Plane Cult of MMO design.

1 hour ago, Kast said:

When EVE launched, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Dawson's Creek and Firefly were still on tv. I'd call that a long run.

What fun! Let’s do some more:

Lebron James was still a month away from being drafted.

Tom Brady had only been to one Super Bowl.

Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince hadn’t yet been published.

A Feast for Crows, the fourth book in George RRRR Martin’s A Song of Ice and Fire, had yet to be published and no one had even thought about making it into the most watched tv show in history yet. Dammit George finish it!

Youtube didn’t exist yet. Neither did Facebook. The term social media had yet to be coined.

World of Warcraft was still a year away from launch.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Talono said:

Well, lets face the truth : Atlas was a 50k shooting star in december and 5k with declining tendency actually.

Even a hardcore pirate fan like me did load ARK again yesterday. ARK devs are not perfect,but dont steer the ship directly to the iceberg, like super-fail Grapeshot is doing.

SmallTribe servers will do, 6 players max with no alliances sounds good for a mega company hater.

Man, ‘the truth’ is that this game’s community before its launch was around 10-15K, then it exploded because of the streamers. That 58K is definitely not representative in any way. Get over it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, boomervoncannon said:

As kidori pointed out, there is enough there that if you look closely you can see it, but the fact you have extensive Eve experience and didn’t probably says more about Grapeshot’s fundamental grasp of MMO design and what makes Eve work than it does about your powers of perception. It honestly winds up making Grapeshot look like some sort of Cargo Plane Cult of MMO design.

because i know the game well, at least how it was  during the period i played, i can say there's no eve in atlas. I mean for example, if you want to believe the freeport/lawless/conquerable grids are based on highsec/lowsec/nullsec, like a buddy of mine says ok, i get  why you see it, but it could be based on anything else because they are very very different.

Edited by znasser

Can we take the internet away from Realist and Talono yet?

They are clearly only using it to project their own personal hells onto the rest of us.

3 hours ago, Meerkat said:

Can we take the internet away from Realist and Talono yet?

They are clearly only using it to project their own personal hells onto the rest of us.

“Hell is other people.” Jean Paul Sartre

” I may disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” Voltaire

1 hour ago, boomervoncannon said:

“Hell is other people.” Jean Paul Sartre

” I may disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” Voltaire

Let’s go with the first one 😀

8 minutes ago, Meerkat said:

Let’s go with the first one 😀

Why when both can be true?

Note that the second quote says nothing about having to listen/read.😉

I will say something on Realist's behalf that I think is worth noting: He generally refrains from insults and a lot of other over the top borish behavior common to internet forums.  Whatever you may think of what he's saying, and let the record show I've probably disagreed with him as much as anyone here in the past six months, he does his part to keep the discourse civil, which is more than can be said for a lot of folks on the internet. That is something I respect.

Edited by boomervoncannon

Sigh, I hope you read the humor in my statement. I think that came across fairly clearly but maybe not. I don’t condone censorship but not all types of speech are constructive. Yes, you can be critical and still constructive (even if you don’t own the game 😀). 

Seems silly that I even need to say this but you and I both know how negative this community can be despite our attempts to make it a little better. Now, hand over the troll food cause you’re gonna get them all frisky. 😉

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Meerkat said:

Sigh, I hope you read the humor in my statement. I think that came across fairly clearly but maybe not. I don’t condone censorship but not all types of speech are constructive. Yes, you can be critical and still constructive (even if you don’t own the game 😀). 

Seems silly that I even need to say this but you and I both know how negative this community can be despite our attempts to make it a little better. Now, hand over the troll food cause you’re gonna get them all frisky. 😉

You still think I am a troll? Smh. I have been here for years and am probably one of the biggest die hard fans. There are two types of fans. The first type is the one that will defend there celebrity/idol/mentor/ anything else no matter what they do wrong.

the second type will be very critical of that person/company because they expect more from them.

@boomervoncannon sure loves his quotes so I will throw one out there. P.S. Ced has been getting mad props from me lately. The others have that potential as well.

As I recall Eve Online was having problems many years ago and the devs were rightfully concerned.  Don't remember if they were losing subs or just not gaining new ones.  As a result they rethought many things within the game ..... it apparently worked.  I distinctly remember reading that they hired some well known (at least in his county of origin) economist to focus on the in game economy to make sure it worked and worked well.  Good devs those Eve guys are ....