Sign in to follow this  
Goombay

Devs Please, Biggest QoL Fix

Tavern. Let us build a simple building, like a tax bank, where we can place gold and food. Make it cover the island, just like the flag does, and feed/pay all manned crew. If you want to get really fancy, make it possible to "hire" crew every once in a while, just like a freeport vendor.

For the love of god, it would make this game 10x better overnight. We spend HOURS a day running around trying to feed/pay crew, and going to the freeport to replace them.

I can't explain how big of a deal this would be. Please.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

You are meant to spend hours on "meaningless" tasks. If keeps you from realizing that there is no content really to speak of. If you didn't have to make a celery run every two weeks, what else would you have to do?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, UnknownSystemError said:

You are meant to spend hours on "meaningless" tasks. If keeps you from realizing that there is no content really to speak of. If you didn't have to make a celery run every two weeks, what else would you have to do?

Ooo burn. Yeah this game seems very un-needlessly grindy. Especially with the crap island gold upkeep.being as that celery actually makes you burn more calories than it gives you that does seem pretty stupid to worry about celery.

i love farming but I think I will hold a farmers strike when it comes to certain nutrients. Never liked the vitamin idea in the first place. It is just sad that they had to try way too hard. At very best the can hope for being mediocre after release.

regardless of potential for being “great” that just simply isn’t going to happen. Even it’s predecessor “ark” just hit 85k. Now we are here with a 3k average and well.... yeah.

some things work, others don’t. Pretty much common sense after that. 

Edited by Realist

4 hours ago, UnknownSystemError said:

On the one hand, there is part of me that wants to argue the exploration and gathering of materials from geographically diverse locations IS part of the content. On the other, too many of the islands are cookie cutter and the underlying systems which require the far flung mat gathering are too simplistic and optional (Cooking could be amazing but thus far can be bypassed with little downside).  Certainly running around paying and feeding tames and crew members can hardly be regarded as quality content, so in the end I have to agree.  They are producing *some* content, but not at a rate that gives the impression there will be a compelling amount of it a year and a half from now.

• Like 2

Should have been added immediately after the last wipe.

Too late. Devs dragged their feet and players moved on.

4 hours ago, Realist said:

Ooo burn. Yeah this game seems very un-needlessly grindy. Especially with the crap island gold upkeep.

Don't hate on something you don't know. The gold upkeep is not a big deal. In the first days you have to collect some. After two days you get so much gold, that u can pay your island for a month or longer.

I guess not everyone knows the celery trick. It is one of those yellows that will max your vits if you eat more than a couple. Extremely long decay timer. So you make a celery run, throw it in all the larders and troughs and you are done feeding everything for the month. With the exception of birds and carnivores, those you still have to feed stuff that decays day after day. Gold upkeep is a joke. We have two islands and enough gold in the flags for a year worth of maintenance at this point. Doesn't matter though, if for some weird reason no one from the company ever logged on for 10 days we would still lose it all just like anyone living in lawless or unclaimed.

1 hour ago, UnknownSystemError said:

I guess not everyone knows the celery trick. It is one of those yellows that will max your vits if you eat more than a couple. Extremely long decay timer. So you make a celery run, throw it in all the larders and troughs and you are done feeding everything for the month. With the exception of birds and carnivores, those you still have to feed stuff that decays day after day. Gold upkeep is a joke. We have two islands and enough gold in the flags for a year worth of maintenance at this point. Doesn't matter though, if for some weird reason no one from the company ever logged on for 10 days we would still lose it all just like anyone living in lawless or unclaimed.

U can feed berries once every 4 days to crew/tames as long as they are idle. They consume nothing at all.

OP just doesnt want to put down some chairs by himself, he wants prebuild stuff, lame.

OR he dont know about resource chest and food larder, that pay feed the crew. @Goombay

Hahahaha

You guys and your couple of ships...

Enjoy feeding an entire PvP island with berries.

But keep saying we don't need QoL features. Enjoy your single player mmo

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Kummba said:

U can feed berries once every 4 days to crew/tames as long as they are idle. They consume nothing at all.

OP just doesnt want to put down some chairs by himself, he wants prebuild stuff, lame.

OR he dont know about resource chest and food larder, that pay feed the crew. @Goombay

I have no idea what you're talking about, but we have over 200 NPC crew manning cannon towers and puckles spread across our island. The issue is running around to each one every day/every couple of days and maintaining them. It's a pointlessly grindy process that could be easily remedied with a centralized location to do so. I feel a tavern makes the most sense from a lore perspective (for people who care about that).

8 hours ago, Forb Hidden said:

Don't hate on something you don't know. The gold upkeep is not a big deal. In the first days you have to collect some. After two days you get so much gold, that u can pay your island for a month or longer.

Yeah the common excuse seems to be well good is easy to get so it’s not a big deal.

ok then that kind of makes the upkeep useless in the first place. Which also means it simply shouldn’t be around.

it is just a bad idea. It has nothing to do with hard or easy. Especially if it is easy. It just shouldn’t be around. Just another form of grinding and that’s all

8 minutes ago, Realist said:

Yeah the common excuse seems to be well good is easy to get so it’s not a big deal.

ok then that kind of makes the upkeep useless in the first place. Which also means it simply shouldn’t be around.

it is just a bad idea. It has nothing to do with hard or easy. Especially if it is easy. It just shouldn’t be around. Just another form of grinding and that’s all

According to you too grindy = bad

Not a big deal = too easy (bad)

And your metric for this knowledge is what people here post.(not the most reliable of sources)

I put it to you that if some find it grindy and others find it "no big deal", maybe it's in an Ok place.

If you think island ownership should have no cost, that is just lazy and just a little entitled.

All that aside, the devs have voiced a few things they were to introduce, like structure upkeep and decay that varies from lawless to settled islands, as it stands the difference is minimal. Once these things (if ever) make it into the game, we will have a better handle on the costs of living in lawless, being a tennant or owning an island. At this point, with what is possibly only partialy what the devs intend for the game, criticising it either way is pretty pointless.

What we could do with is more communication from the devs as to what direction they intend for this aspect of the game.

• Like 1

Player count hit 370 on NA pvp when I looked. I dont understand these Atlas idiots who want a pointless grind. Its like sailing, so many people want slow grindy sails. Its mind bongling. 

I quit a couple of weeks ago due to the cheats but Ill be honest it used to annoy the hell out of me coming home from work to do chores on atlas. Some nights I couldnt go have fun killing SOTD because I had to do my chores...LOL what a joke, no other game is like it which I have played. So much unecessary upkeep and for what? a handful of players who think its cool to waste time?

Make a new server add the following

- No low wind mechanics

- No upkeep of npcs

- 2x sailing speed or speed sail bp with 2x speed

- NO HEADSHOTS (too many cheats to keep it in, this isnt fortnite this should be a boat pvp game)

- Puckles outrange cannons

- Grenades nerfed to the ground

- Ship kills leaderboard

- Repairs for the whole boat, no single block repairs

- Auto return home

1000s would come back I am sure of it.

We've made a change in our most recent update which should address this. Whilst it isn't a new structure, it does provide some necessary QOL in regards to this problem. 

v207.999

- Crew gold payment and food can now be done via your Company's claim flag. Crew that are on an island or on a fully anchored ship within Settlement range are eligible. Berries are the only food that can be used in the claim flag (there is a greatly extended spoil timer on berries in a claim flag for further QoL). Crew will still seek out payment and food from nearby food larders and payment boxes and if there are none nearby or they are empty, they will take from the claim flag.

Thoughts? Let us know if you spot any issues with it.

Just now, Jatheish said:

We've made a change in our most recent update which should address this. Whilst it isn't a new structure, it does provide some necessary QOL in regards to this problem. 

v207.999

- Crew gold payment and food can now be done via your Company's claim flag. Crew that are on an island or on a fully anchored ship within Settlement range are eligible. Berries are the only food that can be used in the claim flag (there is a greatly extended spoil timer on berries in a claim flag for further QoL). Crew will still seek out payment and food from nearby food larders and payment boxes and if there are none nearby or they are empty, they will take from the claim flag.

I haven't had a chance to play with it yet, what about islands without berries? Have you made it so we can manually put berries in the flag?

8 minutes ago, BiggusDingus said:

I haven't had a chance to play with it yet, what about islands without berries? Have you made it so we can manually put berries in the flag?

Aye, you'll be able to

34 minutes ago, Jatheish said:

v207.999

I like this idea @Jatheish. Might consider making it more than just berries but that would be my only suggestion.

You guys are definitely making good progress and some of us really appreciate your work.

Now for some more suggestions. 

Foundation spamming. It has to be fixed. You need to consider an upkeep building (like the tax bank).The building would be similar to the old claim flag in that it covers an area and anything built in that area is supported (maintained) by the building. Each building item requires a daily upkeep (a % of the building materials) and will pull from the building to maintain the structures. This protects the structures and keeps them from decaying. The building will hold at max 10 days of upkeep. It should display what the max capacity is and how many days of upkeep you have. Simple mathematical calculations. If you don't keep materials in the "building maintenance house", then they decay and eventually get destroyed. 

Also should consider the idea of merging PvP and PvE. It makes no sense to have a completely PvE side and PvP side in this type of game with this many servers. Before the wipe I played on some private servers that had PvE zones and PvP zones (by server). This is similar to Dark of Camelot frontiers.

You could also add some faction system (Imperial, Merchants, Explorers Guild, Swashbucklers, Corsairs, etc), then make certain Lawless zones an outpost zone that are PvP. A faction can control a zone by capturing the outpost (envision raising and guarding a claim flag in certain areas on land AND at sea to encourage sea battles). At the end of a certain time sequence, the Faction who controls the most flags has control of the outpost for a certain time period. This opens up special vendors and quest NPC's. Quest rewards and turn-ins could then be done in Freeports for those factions. This would be similar to Elder Scrolls Online. 

Golden Age Ruins can work the same for Powerstones quest. Have to control the Golden Age Ruins to turn in keystone for Powerstone in cave and use Fountain of Youth quest. 

At this point, fresh paint and new zones aren't going to cut it to bring people back. We need a system of checks and balances and a system with rewards.

Thank you @Jatheishfor continuing to work so hard on the game and communicating with us. I've been gaming a long time (first online game I played was Imperial DikuMUD lol). This game has a ton of potential (beautiful open world with a strong building structure and player run environment) and I don't want to see it fail. You guys have done a better job listening to the players but there's always room for improvement. Don't think that you have to stick to the original plan either and just try to push out a product based on the original design, like Bungie tried to originally do with Destiny 1. In the end, it was the Community that saved Destiny 1. 

In saying that, thank you again for hoping onto the forums and corresponding with us. It will only make us stronger if we continue to listen to each other and offer ideas and get feedback from you.

1 hour ago, Jatheish said:

v207.999

Good to see you being active on both the forums and twitter Jat. This will work in your favor.

v207.999

great but what about settlers? 

v207.999

Which claim flag? My company does not have one because such a megacompany has occupied the entire island on which I play from the beginning.

Since not every player / company owns and owns an island, I ask you how far you have considered this idea. It becomes obvious again how bad the colony system really is.

1 hour ago, UDO said:

great but what about settlers? 

Because while we all ask for a tavern building, they have to be unique and lazy with thought process.

Seriously, they should just sit around and think through why a tavern was requested instead of just a flag before wasting a half effort.

Follow through with the tavern so everyone can enjoy this feature.