Sign in to follow this  
Tiberius_theron

Atlas worth returning too?

Is Atlas worth returning too at this moment? Some friends and I are considering it. However it looks like the PVE land claiming system is now complete shit and may as well be lawless pillar spam. Am I wrong? Someone please correct the videos I've been seeing. There are about 22 of us looking to come back (MAYBE). We want a island in BFE with no one. If that's not possible now, we're not interested.

Edited by Tiberius_theron

That's possible.  The claim system has its good and bad points, but it's not all lawless pillar spam.  Player levels are down enough that you and your friends could claim a fairly large island, although I have no idea what BFE is.  🙂

1 minute ago, Winter Thorne said:

That's possible.  The claim system has its good and bad points, but it's not all lawless pillar spam.  Player levels are down enough that you and your friends could claim a fairly large island, although I have no idea what BFE is.  🙂

BFE is an abbreviation for "Bum Fuck Egypt" or "Butt Fuck Egypt," which is used to denote "out in the middle of nowhere." 

9 minutes ago, Tiberius_theron said:

Is Atlas worth returning too at this moment? Some friends and I are considering it. However it looks like the PVE land claiming system is now complete shit and may as well be lawless pillar spam. Am I wrong? Someone please correct the videos I've been seeing. There are about 22 of us looking to come back (MAYBE). We want a island in BFE with no one. If that's not possible now, we're not interested.

You have to pay a good upkeep every 12 hours for your land

10 minutes ago, Tiberius_theron said:

You will have plenty of room now though since there is only about 3800 on average which is somewhere around 300 peoooe per pve server

2 minutes ago, Tiberius_theron said:

How much upkeep are we taking on a small island with a large base for all of us?

Really depends on the size of the island. The Megas are taking over the small islands because they don’t want to pay for the large ones lol

There are plenty of islands that you can take over. You can even take up on an island that is not settled and choose not to settle it yourself if you don't want to pay for upkeep but run the risk of having other people build on it where you don't want. The upkeep cost is not at all difficult to maintain. If you find a small island that has a couple treasure map locations you really don't have to do much as the tax bank will collect part of the gold that others earn from doing maps on your island. That coupled with a few Treasure maps of your own or doing shipwrecks and you can easily earn enough gold. 

The game is well worth the sale cost right now. I've put in 800+ hours and still enjoying the game. 

28 minutes ago, Tiberius_theron said:

BFE is an abbreviation for "Bum Fuck Egypt" or "Butt Fuck Egypt," which is used to denote "out in the middle of nowhere." 

Oh..You mean EBF.  The E stands for East.

I was worried about island upkeep, because I am apparently the world's slowing moving game player and hadn't even done maps yet.  There are 2 people in our company and we make the upkeep easily.  You won't have a problem with it.  You probably wouldn't bat an eye over it even on a large island once you get established.  I was making half our upkeep in the first couple weeks from flotsam on a raft.  🤣

Edited once more with an invitation:  If you and your friends are entertaining, reasonably intelligent,  and decent to be around, come on out to A3 on NA Pve.  We have a good crowd there, mostly allianced, who help each other out and do stuff together.  There's a big island with your name on it.

Edited by Winter Thorne
Added something useful

I'd also invite you to come over to D5. Our company, Blackstorm Raiders, owns the largest island there. I believe one of the smaller islands is available. We do a lot of trading and also do end game content and invite our neighbors. You could also consider settling on our island. We still have a lot of room on the north side and our island has a ton of resources.

We most recently took over a couple of smaller islands that became available as well. One is an artic island which I doubt you would like but the other is in D6 where we have a cobalt mining outpost. The current settlement owner stopped playing and transferred the island to us. You could settle on that island as well. Blackstorm Raiders is a great company and we are very active in helping to develop the game. 

4 hours ago, Tiberius_theron said:

to.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, UnknownSystemError said:

Image result for grammar pirates

Yeah pretty much. Gotta love this forum 😂

The land claim system is not perfect but it’s better than it was. It seems like they are missing some mechanic that incentives all the settlers on an island to work together or help each other. Not sure what that mechanic is but it feels like it’s missing. At least in pve. 

Don’t let the upkeep scare you, people will find anything to bitch about on these forums. I haven’t run maps in two weeks and still have over 50k as a solo. Small islands will run you about 100-200g every 12 hours. It’s really not hard to come up with that gold even if you log in for a couple hours every now and then.  

4 hours ago, Tiberius_theron said:

How much upkeep are we taking on a small island with a large base for all of us?

Before Realist trys to kill more People Who Want to Return, hes Not even playing the Game. The upkeep isorwtty cheap imo. We have a Medium sized Island Which is really huge And Pay 320 Gold every 12 hours ( 19 hours with settlers ) so a few Maps on x2 Weekends And youre good.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Meerkat said:

The land claim system is not perfect but it’s better than it was. It seems like they are missing some mechanic that incentives all the settlers on an island to work together or help each other. Not sure what that mechanic is but it feels like it’s missing. At least in pve. 

Don’t let the upkeep scare you, people will find anything to bitch about on these forums. I haven’t run maps in two weeks and still have over 50k as a solo. Small islands will run you about 100-200g every 12 hours. It’s really not hard to come up with that gold even if you log in for a couple hours every now and then.  

Yeah it’s called factions. If you these think people would actually work together unless forced, I don’t know what to tell you.

p.s. Gold upkeep is just stupid. The whole point of it is merely busy work lol

9 minutes ago, zottel said:

Before Realist trys to kill more People Who Want to Return, hes Not even playing the Game. The upkeep isorwtty cheap imo. We have a Medium sized Island Which is really huge And Pay 320 Gold every 12 hours ( 19 hours with settlers ) so a few Maps on x2 Weekends And youre good.

That is cool you gave your opinion. That is also cool that you are cool with being tied to that upkeep.

a very quick google search let me find the rates. 👍

56 minutes ago, Realist said:

Yeah it’s called factions. If you these think people would actually work together unless forced, I don’t know what to tell you.

p.s. Gold upkeep is just stupid. The whole point of it is merely busy work lol

That is cool you gave your opinion. That is also cool that you are cool with being tied to that upkeep.

a very quick google search let me find the rates. 👍

Cool that you can google. Now google how Long it Takes to get the upkeep covered for a month as solo player ^^

46 minutes ago, zottel said:

Cool that you can google. Now google how Long it Takes to get the upkeep covered for a month as solo player ^^

I’ll wait until single player comes out for that. Because that is a true solo. Thank you for the advice though.

1 hour ago, Realist said:

I’ll wait until single player comes out for that. Because that is a true solo. Thank you for the advice though.

He's pointing out a very valid point, that although you can Google what the actual upkeep is, your lack of play experience leaves you lacking context as to what that means in terms of an actual burden. There is relevant information to understanding the true cost of upkeep in context that does not lend itself to being Googled. 

The reason people keep pointing out that you don't own and play the game yet is because you keep insisting on commenting on things where your lack of play experience makes your comments meaningfully off base or incomplete in some fashion.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Also im Pretty sure you wont Need to Pay upkeep in singleplayer, as it wont make any difference if you claim an Island or Not. Tho you cant comment you will try how upkeep works in singleplayer And Talk about officials. Because in singleplayer you will still miss crucial Parts of the Game as trading etc is also Part if the game

- yes, it's worth to take another look inside.

- no, do not take note of any word from realist. He's our troll who didn't play atlas till yet.

- don't mind on the upkeep. It's not a big deal. Really, feeding your tames take more time.

- islands are still a lot around. You still have to choose one.

13 hours ago, Tiberius_theron said:

There are about 22 of us looking to come back (MAYBE).

That will double the population of a server  😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Tiberius_theron said:

Honestly No the game has not improved, they claimed they were going to make it more cooperation focused and more friendly to smaller company's!  They advertised this fact and then did a bait and switch...  The old server were the Giant Mega's was shut down, they wanted the new claim rules that was put on the new server designed for smaller company's...  After they left the old server it was deserted and not worth keeping open so it got shut down!

Then they demanded the rules that were put in place to keep Mega's from being a thing in the new server be changed and grapeshot relented breaking its promise to make a new server for small company's and everything went back to the way it was before, with the giant mega company's bullying and pushing the smaller company's off there land.

So no the game hasn't really changed, the claim system changed but the game at its base is exactly the same!  Not worth playing....

• Like 1

Atlas is definitely worth getting.

It's still early release, so a lot of stuff to come.  If you're with friends, you will have a jolly good laugh.  I'd say give it the benefit of doubt.

I’m playing it after having left for a while due to rl and Satisfactory (which is amazing and a great example of what a well done Early Access game looks like), but I cannot in truth give Atlas anything more than a lukewarm endorsement at this point. You might come back and enjoy the changes, or you might not. It is different, but it is hard to definitively say it is better. My recommendation is to dip a toe in and see if you like the water, but don’t commit to more than that yet.

When I said to.  I meant it was worth returning to.  Not just pointing out the rather obvious typo.