Sign in to follow this  
Talono

Islands without landlords become more day by day !

.... meanwhile you have more or less free choice if you want to become an island owner, even in temperate and tropical biomes.

The old claim systems was much better.

• Like 1

You’ve *got* to be kidding, right?

You were the guy complaining constantly about how the old system made slaves of everyone. I mean it was pretty much like clockwork: Get up, make my cup of coffee, log in and read 3 posts minimum of you sarcastically referring to everyone as slaves.

Now people have the option to own their own island and you don’t like it and say the old way was better.

Are you secretly all my ex gf’s?

• Haha 7

Cant blame them, the gold rent system is crap. At least for PvE they could have gone for a solution that doesn't force a map grind.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Grongash said:

Cant blame them, the gold rent system is crap. At least for PvE they could have gone for a solution that doesn't force a map grind.

Exactly. The upkeep system is a bad idea

+SPOILER ALERT+

soon ppl will realize that they do not need to pay a flag/island 😄

Edited by photek

@Talono
LOL
First you complained about not enough islands to live "free" on.
Than that you had no protection on your Lawless island.
Now you complain that you could have too many claimed = protected island to yourself, because they are empty.

🙄

Will we get a thread from you next where you again beg people to join the Empire Server Colony Server, because you are so alone...?!?! 🤔

But Don't worry they are adding even more islands with the next update so there will be even more islands that cost too much and are left abandoned. 

With the current tiny player base they could easily go back to the old claim system now without any problems.

• Like 2

The amount of maintenance with the old claim system was mind numbing.  Single claim for an entire island so much easier to deal with.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, sgzeroone said:

But Don't worry they are adding even more islands with the next update so there will be even more islands that cost too much and are left abandoned. 

With the current tiny player base they could easily go back to the old claim system now without any problems.

The old claim system was never going to work, it didn't work at the time and it sure as hell couldn't have gone live as it was. The new system isn't perfect, and in some ways I think it's better, but at least it's not categorically worse. 

This system has features in place that allow new players to find a place to set up and build a base. That's essential, because if you lock new players out you're strangling the life out of your own game. That's not to say the new system doesn't need work but it's a start anyway. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Warspectre said:

The old claim system was never going to work, it didn't work at the time and it sure as hell couldn't have gone live as it was. The new system isn't perfect, and in some ways I think it's better, but at least it's not categorically worse. 

This system has features in place that allow new players to find a place to set up and build a base. That's essential, because if you lock new players out you're strangling the life out of your own game. That's not to say the new system doesn't need work but it's a start anyway. 

I don't think there will be a change back to the old system anyways.  I think both systems are flawed. 

I don't understand why everyone seems to think they need to live on a claimable island anyways.  I have never lived on one and probably never will unless they nerf lawless and force people to.

And lets be honest, there tons of space available that's not claimed anyways(there has always been plenty of space in lawless).  There isn't a big enough player base to even worry about not finding a place anymore.

The claim that there is no land left to claim in only made at this point by ignorant players.

But then again if you must live on a claimable island you better be ready to cough up some coin to keep it.  Which on most island eliminates the smaller groups from ever affording the ability to own.

And actually with the current player base of maybe 1k players actively playing the old system would work now.  Its not like there are 50k+ players trying this game out anymore.  And the old system did allow new players a place to build....it was called lawless.

Do you really think when/if this came comes out of alpha/beta (whatever you call this mess) there will be some big influx of players?   I really doubt it.  It's going down just like Ark did.  And Ark didn't see any increase in player base after leaving beta.  Why would you think this game will?

29 minutes ago, sgzeroone said:

I don't think there will be a change back to the old system anyways.  I think both systems are flawed. 

I don't understand why everyone seems to think they need to live on a claimable island anyways.  I have never lived on one and probably never will unless they nerf lawless and force people to.

And lets be honest, there tons of space available that's not claimed anyways(there has always been plenty of space in lawless).  There isn't a big enough player base to even worry about not finding a place anymore.

The claim that there is no land left to claim in only made at this point by ignorant players.

But then again if you must live on a claimable island you better be ready to cough up some coin to keep it.  Which on most island eliminates the smaller groups from ever affording the ability to own.

And actually with the current player base of maybe 1k players actively playing the old system would work now.  Its not like there are 50k+ players trying this game out anymore.  And the old system did allow new players a place to build....it was called lawless.

Do you really think when/if this came comes out of alpha/beta (whatever you call this mess) there will be some big influx of players?   I really doubt it.  It's going down just like Ark did.  And Ark didn't see any increase in player base after leaving beta.  Why would you think this game will?

I agree, both systems are flawed, but I think this current one is less flawed. Honestly though, of all the flaws this game has, I fault the devs the least over the claim system, because they have to try and compromise between many conflicting issues to try and make it as fair to everyone as possible. That'd be a monumental challenge for anyone. 

As far as Lawless, under the old system, yeah, you could build there if you happened to be there around when the game was released. I don't know if you did much traveling at that time but pillar and foundation spam was rampant about a month in on Lawless islands. And even where there wasn't, a great many of them were saturated with structures, shipyards every few feet, and sprawling bases. 

I don't know if there will be an influx of players after it's officially released, but they should allow for that possibility, however remote. Planning on success can be as important as planning for failure. Maybe more so in some cases.

Why would I think this game will get more players? Mostly because despite the game's flaws and current state I think it has potential. It's really up to what decisions the devs make and how the development is managed.

I'm not positive of how it'll go at this point. I know they need to hire more people. The combo of developing a large scale MMO, having a public ER, and small staff was bound to bite them in the ass. The situation isn't insurmountable yet though. No Man's Sky did a pretty decent job of turning things around I hear, despite a major debacle of a release. It's always better to have your sh** together the first time around, but crazier things have happened.   

My 3 man company stuck a flag down this weekend during the new land rush. After an hour we claimed the 69 point island, we danced, yelled "MISSION ACCOMPLISHED", and checked it off our bucket list. We then let the claim expire 12 hours later and went back to our lives.

The difference between having the claimed island and living on our established base on lawless was absolutely not worth multiple thousands of gold a week in value add.

The larger issue that I would rather be fixed (at least on PVE servers) is foundation spam (aka island pimples). Either because someone is trolling, or because someone is "claiming" the island by foundation spam (prevent building). This is solvable by a much better claim system than the previous one and the current one. Unfortunately, probably not with a solution that makes sense on both PVE and PVP servers.

12 minutes ago, Vurmis said:

My 3 man company stuck a flag down this weekend during the new land rush. After an hour we claimed the 69 point island, we danced, yelled "MISSION ACCOMPLISHED", and checked it off our bucket list. We then let the claim expire 12 hours later and went back to our lives.

The difference between having the claimed island and living on our established base on lawless was absolutely not worth multiple thousands of gold a week in value add.

The larger issue that I would rather be fixed (at least on PVE servers) is foundation spam (aka island pimples). Either because someone is trolling, or because someone is "claiming" the island by foundation spam (prevent building). This is solvable by a much better claim system than the previous one and the current one. Unfortunately, probably not with a solution that makes sense on both PVE and PVP servers.

I spend most my time traveling from island to island exploring the cookie cutter islands for abandoned players bases and I have to say.  I don't see that much foundation spamming.  But I'm on the NA PVE server mostly these days.  I gave up on their broken pvp mechanics weeks ago.

Edited by sgzeroone

50 minutes ago, Warspectre said:

I agree, both systems are flawed, but I think this current one is less flawed. Honestly though, of all the flaws this game has, I fault the devs the least over the claim system, because they have to try and compromise between many conflicting issues to try and make it as fair to everyone as possible. That'd be a monumental challenge for anyone. 

As far as Lawless, under the old system, yeah, you could build there if you happened to be there around when the game was released. I don't know if you did much traveling at that time but pillar and foundation spam was rampant about a month in on Lawless islands. And even where there wasn't, a great many of them were saturated with structures, shipyards every few feet, and sprawling bases. 

I don't know if there will be an influx of players after it's officially released, but they should allow for that possibility, however remote. Planning on success can be as important as planning for failure. Maybe more so in some cases.

Why would I think this game will get more players? Mostly because despite the game's flaws and current state I think it has potential. It's really up to what decisions the devs make and how the development is managed.

I'm not positive of how it'll go at this point. I know they need to hire more people. The combo of developing a large scale MMO, having a public ER, and small staff was bound to bite them in the ass. The situation isn't insurmountable yet though. No Man's Sky did a pretty decent job of turning things around I hear, despite a major debacle of a release. It's always better to have your sh** together the first time around, but crazier things have happened.   

There are lots of games in EA that have potential, including this one.  But after a few months of watching these devs stumble, fall and just do and say idiotic things.   At this point after seeing the last couple laughable "MINI-UPDATES", I have lost all confidence in this developer delivering what they originally had intended (THE ORIGINAL PROMO VIDEO).  All i see is a developer who isn't addressing the real issues properly and just hard nerfing things to the point the might as well just remove them from the game all together (Torpedoes). And their updates are full of crap we don't want and tames that are useless (We want more ship types, not cats!).  I mean seriously isn't anyone losing their confidence in these guys?

Oh wait there coming out with a seahorse that can't be tamed.......NVM ....The game will be perfect after this next mega update. (Cause I know so many of us wanted seahorse!) 😕

(I'm trying to give constructive criticism, I'm really struggling with not hating on this game)  PLEASE DEV'S HELP ME STOP THE HATE!

Edited by sgzeroone

27 minutes ago, sgzeroone said:

I spend most my time traveling from island to island exploring the cookie cutter islands for abandoned players bases and I have to say.  I don't see that much foundation spamming.  But I'm on the NA PVE server mostly these days.  I gave up on their broken pvp mechanics weeks ago.

To be fair, you are correct. The vast majority of islands do not have this issue. When you do run into it, it does seem to be taken to the extreme though.

49 minutes ago, sgzeroone said:

There are lots of games in EA that have potential, including this one.  But after a few months of watching these devs stumble, fall and just do and say idiotic things.   At this point after seeing the last couple laughable "MINI-UPDATES", I have lost all confidence in this developer delivering what they originally had intended (THE ORIGINAL PROMO VIDEO).  All i see is a developer who isn't addressing the real issues properly and just hard nerfing things to the point the might as well just remove them from the game all together (Torpedoes). And their updates are full of crap we don't want and tames that are useless (We want more ship types, not cats!).  I mean seriously isn't anyone losing their confidence in these guys?

Oh wait there coming out with a seahorse that can't be tamed.......NVM ....The game will be perfect after this next mega update. (Cause I know so many of us wanted seahorse!) 😕

(I'm trying to give constructive criticism, I'm really struggling with not hating on this game)  PLEASE DEV'S HELP ME STOP THE HATE!

I understand, some things they do make me wonder if they aren't from a different dimension where up is down and backward is sideways and god knows what else is going on. For instance, instead of being called roosters in the game, to this day male chickens are called male chickens. And there is no discernible difference between the male and female chicken. How can someone from this planet not know about roosters? 

I don't get the sea horse either, or the elfant or whatever it's called. I don't get the SoD fleets. I don't care for them either, at all. I'm not a huge fan of the SoD in general for that matter. I have an idea of why they made them, but I want to fight sailing ships. Ships I could blast with broadsides, board, loot, capture and or scuttle. Ships that have a definable crew. Fighting the SoD is like fighting floating piles of nonsense. 

That said, I still see the potential for it to be good. I also see the potential for them to tank this game right into the ground. It's a bit of a roller-coaster ride where you know it might just fly off the rails at any moment, or maybe it'll all be fine. 

2 hours ago, Warspectre said:

Honestly to me the true test will be the console players and if they can retain them.  I don't see a big injection of PC players as each Mega Update (I know, all 2 of them) seems to bring back fewer players.  I think the real test of the long term viability will be HOW they add console to the game.  Wipe or not?  Console specific servers or a mix?  I think a lot of optimizations need to occur with a very clearly defined plan from the developers.  If console release fails, I just don't know how they come back.  At the end of the day, there are only two cash cows for them that I can see and not knowing what the cash burn is from the initial flood of EA release funding, console failure I am afraid will spell doom.   FtP MMO's at this scale?  I don't see how a business or game developers survive.

7 minutes ago, lordkhan4444 said:

is ark crossplay or it just pc and just xbox? that will tell us what atlas will be also.

No. It is only crossplay with Microsoft. Xbox will never crossplay atlas with steam. Just like ark

that's good! I got so sick of hearing about the pc advantage on sea of thieves cuase that game is crossplay and pc had a HUGE!!!! advange over the xbox noobs.

13 minutes ago, Realist said:

No. It is only crossplay with Microsoft. Xbox will never crossplay atlas with steam. Just like ark

Microsoft had recently announced that they're going to be bringing a lot of their games to Steam and have been working with Valve on getting crossplay working properly.

Atlas may come out on console before they have everything in place so yeah it's unlikely that this game will have crossplay but never say never.

There should just be no claims at all Let people just build wherever, and give no indication to anyone when you plop a fob down (except maybe show the bed on your map if you actually come into a certain range of a non company bed)

Well, i rule my cluster and the neighbor clusters at will. I live in lawless with some defenses which hold against random noobs, certainly not against a mega tribe strike.

Server number 2 once raided me and actually found 700 of my gold. 

Claim islands wont offer more protection than lawless, mega tribes own millions of grenades, they wont need 9 hours to completely destroy someone. And if they do they can certainly afford a war token.

I would go back to Ark, where i always have been a pirate as well, but the raft-eating whale there killed piracy 😞

58 minutes ago, Kidori said:

Microsoft had recently announced that they're going to be bringing a lot of their games to Steam and have been working with Valve on getting crossplay working properly.

Atlas may come out on console before they have everything in place so yeah it's unlikely that this game will have crossplay but never say never.

True. Odds are console will be delayed by months so you never know

Edited by Realist