Sign in to follow this  
Martyn

Tropical Storms...

It was cool, when you got 2-3 tornados.. or typhoons.. they hit you for a little damage if you got too close..

Now.. you get 15-25 of them.. they surround your ship, smashing it so hard you can loose half your plank strength from a single storm.   Get hit by sotd in a storm.. and you can easily loose planks.

In the 3 storms I tried to traverse tonight, I was killed 3 times, in the first, 4 times in the second, 3 times in the third.. can't dodge them, can't sail around them, can't cut sails and just wait it out.. and in equatorial you can get 2-3 storms per day.  Making sailing extremely treacherous.

Now I get timesinks, I get resourcesinks.. but this.. this is taking the piss. 

Let's go back to 2-3 tornados at a time.. let them do some damage, maybe 2-3% per strike, so storms maybe do 10% overall.  It's still significant enough to force repairs after storms.  Esp with the rate sotd now spawn and how they spawn.   We had a guy today get wiped out in a storm, he was hit by sotd as well.  It's part of the gameplay.. but it shouldn't be so severe people are loosing ships.  Storms should increase your sailing experience.. not ruin it.

Edited by Martyn
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

There's a steering wheel. Use it.

in a storm with that amount of tornadoes I usually hit 1...3 of them with my galleon.

If you wear good clothes u don't get too cold and get no damage from there. And get hitted 2...5 times by a tornado don't kill you or your boat.

So why are you dying so often?

I haven't died from storms since before wipe. The last time I got caught in as storm I was able to steer my ship to avoid most tornadoes, only a couple actually hit me. The biggest issue I experienced was approaching land during the storm in the hope I can set anchor to get rid of the tornados straight away. I successfully did, but only to the fail of hitting a shallow bit of water that was made even more shallow by the storm and cause big damage to my planks.

After the storm I was then stuck and caused damage to my planks every time I raised anchor. I ended up waiting for the water to get back to normal levels and was able to raise anchor with no issue and move.

Basically the chances of people actually dieing in storms as a result of the tornadoes, very very slim in my opinion.

If you have 0 - levels in health, 0 - levels in Fortitude, 0 - Clothes on, and not bothering to steer your ship, then yes i suppose dieing that many times could happen.

But if that is the case. Why?

The cyclones are a bit much and driving a ship has changed some smaller ships seem to get sucked in easier than big ones Comparing a schooner to a Brig or Gall

There is a much bigger stupidity here! EVERY ship produces its own tornadoes. We had a big fleet in H8 and the Kraken had cooldown when the storm started. The fleet was massively damaged by the incredible number of tornadoes and tried to disperse when the Kraken CD expired. 30% were then in front of the wall and the rest was allowed to fight with heavily damaged ships.

Atlas like Ark, the developers stick to their crappy weather system as if it was their life. Tornadoes, fog, cold front, heat wave, sandstorms, etc ... These effects are just bothersome and annoying, but even at Ark, the players talked fuzzy. If the developers would play their own game, they would have long since realized how annoying some effects will be after some time ...

Edited by Tezcatlipoca
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I hate the storms because they show up at the worst time and ruin the experience for me.  When I am in a fleet battle the last thing I want is for a storm to drop 50 f'ing tornadoes interfering with our fight.  We had over 60 people in grid for this battle at sea and the storms were horrible.  I play this game for the PvP and so many times nature ruins it.  I already have 50 other people trying to kill me or sink my ship.  I don't need no damn shark eating me, a tornado ripping my boat apart of a lion chomping on me. 

Edited by DocHolliday

9 minutes ago, DocHolliday said:

I hate the storms because they show up at the worst time and ruin the experience for me.  When I am in a fleet battle the last thing I want is for a storm to drop 50 f'ing tornadoes interfering with our fight.  We had over 60 people in grid for this battle at sea and the storms were horrible.  I play this game for the PvP and so many times nature ruins it.  I already have 50 other people trying to kill me or sink my ship.  I don't need no damn shark eating me, a tornado ripping my boat apart of a lion chomping on me. 

What if a sharknado throws a lion at your opponents?

I will feel like the Raptors beating the Warriors for the NBA championship.  It just doesn't feel right.

Edited by DocHolliday

7 hours ago, Forb Hidden said:

There's a steering wheel. Use it.

in a storm with that amount of tornadoes I usually hit 1...3 of them with my galleon.

If you wear good clothes u don't get too cold and get no damage from there. And get hitted 2...5 times by a tornado don't kill you or your boat.

So why are you dying so often?

Not played for awhile?

The weather effects should be something you experience every so often.. not 15x a day.  Or even multiple effects are the same time.. like a hot front, cold front, fog, rain.. all at the same time.  I've even had tornados, hot front and fog.. + sotd.  Sotd and Fog seem to come automatically now.

Edited by Martyn

5 hours ago, Jack Shandy said:

If you have 0 - levels in health, 0 - levels in Fortitude, 0 - Clothes on, and not bothering to steer your ship, then yes i suppose dieing that many times could happen.

But if that is the case. Why?

0 in trolling?

I have 40 fort.

jm Hide Armour.

100 health.. got me there.  Since everything kills me, why bother with health.  Stamina, Weight is all that is important.

And you can only steer your ship.. when there's somewhere to steer it to.

It does feel like the frequency per rain event has gone dramatically up in the last few weeks, almost like they inadvertently disabled the randomizer that was supposed to make it happen 33% of the time. I don't have any hard data to support my claim, but I used to sail out in rain because I liked to take advantage of the high winds with some risk, but lately it feels like they occur 66% of the time.

• Like 1

I have a resistance of 30% I died from a tornado last time.

"Do you play ATLAS and sail? You are cursed! Sit on the base of animal feed! We will figure out how to make the sea worse!"

Not Trolling, genuinely confused as to how you can die so many times to a storm.

I can only speak from my perspective, and I welcome storms, for the wind picks up and hence my speed.

Even my cargo gally, 4 speed, 2 weight sails, so steers like a pig, sure you need to counter steer to stay straight and gig left and right to avoid tornados, sometimes you can’t fully avoid them and take a tick or two of damage, but that’s all.

How you can die so many times in a storm is literally beyond my comprehension, and thus any complaint you make about them seems to me at least blown up beyond all proportion.

I do not usually die in storms but I agree they are a complete garbage game mechanic and an extreme nuisance! 

I agree with someone in thread posting about that storm frequence seems to have gone up by  a lot these last few weeks. 

The usual scenario with storm for me is that cyclones are on all sides, that is, all around my ship, and I do my best to steer away to the next grid asap, since I know the ship can quite easily sink if it gets hit more than once or twice directly by the cyclones. 

Storms need to be fixed asap as they are a huge nuisance. The cyclones/water spouts themselves should be reduced in their number by about 70%, and they need to be much, much easier to navigate away from. As it is now, if you get Into a cyclone, it "keeps" you there, keeping you sucked in, hitting your ship repeatedly, which can be catastrophic when solo sailing. One of the worst game mechanics. 

This last patch to end the mythic mystic oss weekend.. magic mythos.. I can't remember, I can barely remember what I've done for the last 48 hours.

However.. I did notice, that storms aren't so bad now.  I was able to actually go below decks and shelter from the storm, I just ran around in circles repairing my brig.  Then the storm passed.. A few times the tornados actually hit the ship, saw bits flying off it.. it did about 500-600 damage to my planks overall.  Which I repaired.. One of the big advantages, is having these cargo racks.. just stop at an island, replenish your repair gear, load in a new salvo of cballs.. off you go.. so maybe things are looking up.  I even managed to sink 2 gallys, 2 brigs and 3 schooners.  Before running out of shots.

a tornado will kill you naked in like 8 hits, each fortitude is worth 1.6 hypothermal insulation, however fortitude does not all that much for tornado damage, but it will help against being freezing cold and wet, unless you put up like 2 fires, wear armor, sail with the wind in the direction you wanna go as much as possible, and use fires.

I'd be content if they changed the tornado frequency so that we were lucky to see one a week (real time) if we sailed daily. 

2 hours ago, DocHolliday said:

I'd be content if they changed the tornado frequency so that we were lucky to see one a week (real time) if we sailed daily. 

I'd go so far as to say that once per 4 hours of sailing would be fine with me. I saw eight cyclones in that same period last weekend. EIGHT. Essentially once per zone that I transited.