Sign in to follow this  
Salty Del

Is island claiming bugged?

We were claiming a polar island with no issues, when we got a notification that our claim was interrupted. I was just outside of our claim flag's area, so immediately headed back to find our flag now being contested and unclaiming, but the island now claimed by another company despite there being no contesting of the claim when I made it.

Once another company member came on, I went to the flag of the islands owners, and I have no idea how they now have 248/114 claim points used, and instantly claimed this island.

It really seems like a bug/exploit.

Has anybody else encountered this yet?

Our Claim - Cropped.jpg

Their Claim - Cropped.jpg

Hi,

You do not get notification that somebody else has started a claim if nobody owns the island.

We started the claim 47 mins before you did and sat in the area for 60 mins while the timer worked its way down. 

It's a bit of a sucky system but i think it came about as a result of a bug fix to the issue after the wipe of people claiming last getting the flag.

As to the issue of the claim points being displayed, that does look like a bug as we actually have 250 points (and have now spent 248 points).

- Red Sonja

- Blackstorm Raiders

That's interesting. I recall after the wipe that when you place a claim on an island with another claim flag counting down that both are contested, and neither counts down until one is unclaimed, either by one player leaving their flag area and their flag being unclaimed, or them taking their own claim flag down. While both flags were up, neither timer would count down.

Maybe that's since changed, as we haven't tried to claim an island since.

The mechanic is a bit different than that. Whoever places their flag first starts counting down. If no one places a flag within that green circle to contest it, it will continue counting down. Someone else comes along and places a flag 5 minutes later on another part of the island. The first people to place would see a message, but it won't stop their timer. The second groups sees nothing. The only way to stop the first group from claiming first is to drop a claim flag near theirs which stops both timers. If you are trying to cockblock someone you need a third company. First company places, second company comes in after and sends third company to block first one. It was done to stop the shenanigans that happened on EU claiming where people standing next to your flag could contest. Now they have to drop a flag and pay the gold. No more just having people spawn on the island you want on a fresh server and blocking anyone else till your other members can arrive with the gold. Also, the patch notes increased the totals on PVE and PVP for everyone.

Actually you don't get a message until after your claim finishes going through. We had no idea anyone else was claiming until after we waited 60 tense minutes.

Then as soon as the claim is finished we get a message saying a 'new settler' has arrived and our flag appears as contested.

So today we’ve learned that the claim system does not alert you when you’re competing for a claim, and that after one of the claims completes the other claim still contests it until either that company leaves the flags sphere of influence, or they pick up the flag themselves.

We also found that while the claim is contested, the PvP rule for being “at war” applies in PvE and you cannot dump stuff out of your storage containers, and that the flag may be incorrect in reporting how many island points an opposing company may have.

I wonder what would happen if the opposing company left their claim flag up and just waited out the other company until they left the island. Would it allow them to steal the claim, even though that’s not supposed to happen in PvE?

There definitely needs to be some notification if an island is being claimed already. The second company trying to claim can lose their gold, though not enough to really be bothersome unless they’re just starting, but more importantly their time. It’s also a bit frustrating when it happens and you have no idea why. 

Thanks for replying, True Sonja. 😊

Edited by Salty Del

2 hours ago, Salty Del said:

There definitely needs to be some notification if an island is being claimed already. The second company trying to claim can lose their gold, though not enough to really be bothersome unless they’re just starting, but more importantly their time. It’s also a bit frustrating when it happens and you have no idea why.

It has been like this since Season 2 started. You only get sort of the message that someone else is on the Island if they run through your circle. Mind - the circle is not very big (press H to see it). Many companies made the mistake to simply assume the game would magicly know and tell if there is another claim flag going up on the Island on the other side of it. Even witnessed a mega not getting their Island because of this ^^
I have no idea why ppl assumed this - because for the system the Island is unclaimed. Imagine the programming and server-ressources needed if an unclaimed Island would constantly need to check if someone places a claimflag on it and then somehow report this? Quite sure that would made the allrdy bad server performance just worse.

The solution to this is very simple: just check the entire Island?! Place the flag and make a full sweep of the Island = gg. Like this you know 100% that nobody else is getting it before you. You anyway have to do full sweeps regulary as soon you own it, so it's good practice.

I am all for fixing the mess this game currently is, but this one point here - I just disagree. It's part of the game-mechanic to work for owning an island. Just check if there is someone.

Edited by Sinappia

I don’t think having a single bit in the island’s data dedicated to “is there a claiming flag” and then checking that bit when you’re trying to place a flag is exactly taxing on the server.

And that’s not how I recall the claim flags working immediately after the wipe. I remember landing on a few unclaimed islands, placing a claim flag only to find that another claim was in progress on another part of the island after we placed the flag.

Regardless, now everybody can know how the claim flags work, at least for right now. And yes, now that we’re aware of this limitation we will be thoroughly checking any future islands we may try to claim.

2 hours ago, Salty Del said:

And that’s not how I recall the claim flags working immediately after the wipe. I remember landing on a few unclaimed islands, placing a claim flag only to find that another claim was in progress on another part of the island after we placed the flag.

No - at least not in PvP. It has been the exact same way like it was since day 1 of season 1 - it also was like this on the PTR. The game never showed or informed u that another claimflag is in progress - as long you did not place your claimflag within the circle of the other one!

It is possible, that you placed your claimflag within the circle of another one and therefor got that message - thus u came to this wrong conclusion. What they DID change after some days/weeks was the size of the circle. The size was MUCH bigger right at the start.