Sign in to follow this  
Roteck

Ghost Ships, Really?

I'm just playing along with some friends, we get a Sloop setup yesterday and we spent all morning outfitting it today. One of our company members says they found a nice region not too far away so we decide to break in our new Sloop. We were proud of our Sloop and knew the risks on a PvP server but everyone we've run across out on the open water were cool and recognized that we were just in a Sloop and had no threat to offer nor resources they could use so they let us on our way. That's how it is in PvP sometimes. So we're sailing towards said region nice and proud of our sloop enjoying an amazing concept of a game. To my surprise we see a giant green oddly shaped ship out in the water. We've heard stories about Ghost ships so we immediately detour into the wind 90 degrees from the Ghost ship. To our surprise there's another one just out of render range, so we detour in between the two ghost ships still sailing for the most part with the wind. Note that there is quite a good bit of distance between the two ghost ships. So we're about to be past them and on our way when, what do you know, there's a ghost ship cutting us off directly ahead that was just out of render range. Now we're in the middle of not one, not two, but three ghost ships...in our proud little Sloop. So we detour in between the two that would keep us with the wind and we're going as fast as we can and the ghost ships have spotted us. In a matter of seconds they're on us, all three of the things are on top of us. They're shooting cannons like we're some Black Pearl or Dutchman type ship. Our little Sloop. We're running for the server border counting on the probability that they cannot travel between the "seamless" server border. However, all three ghost ships are faster by at least 4 times than our little Sloop and we have no chance, the cannons destroy all of our storage boxes, our little 2x1 for our bed, and kill my shipmate who was controlling the sails and there are now two holes in the Sloop. All on the first round of cannon fire. On the second round, they took out both sails. Dead in the water. Our little Sloop surrounded by not one, not two, but three gigantic alien looking ghost ships firing insane amounts of cannons at our little sloop. Of course in a few seconds the sloop is gone forever and the ghost ships go about their way. I understand the loss that we can face on a PVP server with out ships. But this, this was just unbelievable. I don't see a fully equipped Galleon with 10 crew members being able to defend against 3 of these insanely powerful ships. I was enjoying the game, enjoying the open water, enjoying the threat from other players, and the mercy that came with that. But now I am no longer going to continue to play. It's a disappointment and I know everyone is just going to say "see ya", or "we won't miss ya", or "get gud" as some of the in-game players said. I really think the concept of this game is amazing, sailing across the seas with friends enjoying survival and sailing at the same time. Now I know that that can never be, not with these type of developers who just throw something as powerful as ghost ships into a game like this an expect people to be okay with it. I'm not sure the thought process of that but I can tell you that I am done. I am disappointed that this concept was put into motion by these developers. I wish a developer that had any care in the world about it's player base had taken it upon themselves to come out with this concept but no. That is not the case. I just wanted my two cents in and now I've put them in. Thanks for the opportunity to travel the seas, no matter how short lived. I hope they can get it afloat and balanced so i can come back and enjoy an amazing idea. Until then, you've already got my money, I will just be wiser in the future with who I trust to make a decent game.   

834910_20181226221118_1.png

Edited by Roteck
  • Sad 2

I think what he means is that he doesn't understand early access yet.

No problem, more people don't understand that.

Ghost ship just destroyed my ship too. To get away my only choice was to try to go against the wind because i was in between islands, which isn't really an option. To my surprise the ghost ships CAN GO AGAINST THE WIND. They are ghost after all, so i guess they can defy the laws. They need to get removed from the game or at least keep them in a certain area that you know you should avoid.

1 minute ago, Kinghenery said:

Ghost ship just destroyed my ship too. To get away my only choice was to try to go against the wind because i was in between islands, which isn't really an option. To my surprise the ghost ships CAN GO AGAINST THE WIND. They are ghost after all, so i guess they can defy the laws. They need to get removed from the game or at least keep them in a certain area that you know you should avoid.

You can go against the wind as well in a ship

Actually I think the best thing that would fix them, at least a little, would be to make them only attack other ships that can defend themselves. So if a ship has cannons, the NPC will see it as a threat and attack it. Otherwise, it should not attack smaller boats unless they get VERY close or shoot at the ship.

It is very slow when you attempt to go against the wind in a ship, but the ghost ship seem to ignore the wind all together

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

They've done a good job fixing them. They are still a little over abundant but the aggro range has definitely made it easier to sail. I have yet to get sunk by another one yet, close calls but I thankfully could escape. The patches are pushing the game forward for the most part and it seems like they're on the wobbly right track.

Wall of text, no way am I reading all of that.  If you get attacked by a ghost ship then you're not paying attention to where you're going.

On ‎12‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 1:58 PM, warhealer said:

I think what he means is that he doesn't understand early access yet.

That's a load of crap.  This so-called "game" will be in early access for the next 4 years, and that's no excuse.

….

Edited by [616]RexFortis