Sign in to follow this  
Captain Stabbin

@devs. We love you guys for giving us single player!

This is what I was hoping for from the very beginning, but they're going to have to invest more in the pve content side of things if they want to keep it interesting. And they definitely need to hire some AI guys. 

I'm not gonna lie though, I definitely like the idea. Being able to adjust the settings that I don't like, not having to worry about wipes or trolling behavior from neighbors that don't know how to act has a lot of appeal to me. 

4 minutes ago, Warspectre said:

This is what I was hoping for from the very beginning, but they're going to have to invest more in the pve content side of things if they want to keep it interesting. And they definitely need to hire some AI guys. 

I'm not gonna lie though, I definitely like the idea. Being able to adjust the settings that I don't like, not having to worry about wipes or trolling behavior from neighbors that don't know how to act has a lot of appeal to me. 

Completely agree!  Single player allows us to test out build, skills, ship setups and identify bugs easier without worrying about resources.

it helps build a stronger modding community as well.

• Like 1

I don't know I'm on the fence on this one. I like the idea of PvE in helping others and bumping into people along the way even though we all know trolls are in the game but it's the interactions with others without the fighting each other part which gives me reason to play.

The question is what will be in this singleplayer? How will it work? So it is just yourself in this mode sailing along and going out for resources then coming back to 1 building on an island? To me that sounds boring, I feel you would get bored more in this mode than the general PvE.

I will see how it turns out but I don't think it is going to be for me unless they add more things to do in it to compensate loss of players because you're on your own. Just my opinion though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, DannyUK said:

I don't know I'm on the fence on this one. I like the idea of PvE in helping others and bumping into people along the way even though we all know trolls are in the game but it's the interactions with others without the fighting each other part which gives me reason to play.

The question is what will be in this singleplayer? How will it work? So it is just yourself in this mode sailing along and going out for resources then coming back to 1 building on an island? To me that sounds boring, I feel you would get bored more in this mode than the general PvE.

I will see how it turns out but I don't think it is going to be for me unless they add more things to do in it to compensate loss of players because you're on your own. Just my opinion though.

Sure, at the moment it probably would get boring after a while, but assuming they keep expanding PvE content it'll be kind of like playing in a huge sandbox like Fallout 4, and I have 1120 hours in FO 4. Granted they've got a long ways to go before they're even close to the level of content of that game though. A long long way to go. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, DannyUK said:

if its just you what do you need a building for? the whole point of a "building" is to protect things. just lay down a smithy and your all done lol. sounds like this would get boring after 8 seconds of playtime.

When you come home from work with some time to spare and you cant be bothered to look at the players next to you with the 20 ships and shipyards they never seem to use,but leave there like giant lag magnets,then single player will be a small bit of light relief.I don't think we need the whole map though cos I don't believe the premise that it will be easy on the ram and lag free.And how will the endgame pieces be available?I guess we'll find out in a month.

Grats......you got a ....private server?

Come build all the amazing things you can build in PvE. 

Except this time no one can see it hahahaha!

I would agree you dont need any real buildings as a SP game, but by that lodgic you dont really need much if any for PvE mode as it is.

I imagine a PvE player builds to show off what they can do. If this is true, then wtf would you do in SP mode?

BTW, so glad devs are spending the resources to accommodate all the players who DONT want to play the MMORPG they are supposed to be developing.

New ships......nah, I know most people playing this game want a SP mode first. Thats what this MMO needs. That will draw in lots more MMO players. Thats what all the good MMOs did, er.....wait.....

This is fucked.

• Like 3

imo they really shouldnt be adding single player , the already low population on the serves will get worse , are they developing an mmo ? or are they finally going to admit that the game has failed pump out a single player version and call it a day and leave the rest to modders ? as this sounds very much like that is what is happening , 

either develop and mmo or single player make your minds up devs you are killing your own game patch by patch , what are the players going to do in single player ? sit on their islands alone with nothing to do but build and dont tell me you single player mode players are going to sail around you will just use admin commands to teleport about , and how many of the grids are the single players going to use ? 

Edited by UDO
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Chucksteak said:

I imagine a PvE player builds to show off what they can do. If this is true, then wtf would you do in SP mode?

Ah, there's this brand new feature going to be introduced, called a "screenshot". I think it will revolutionise online gaming forever. 😄

Hmm. I have to agree that this is a bad direction for the games development at this time.

and is almost certainly going to harm the game.

firstly, it was marketed as an MMO, why people are requesting it, and why the devs are doing it is beyond me! 

The devs are really struggling to separate the mechanics of PvP and PVE as it is. When they tweak the game for one it usually has an undesired effect of the other. (When they did the wipe, they played with the idea of completely separating the mechanics of PvP and PVE then decided not to, shame, they really should have.)

As the game stands, i forsee that within 2 weeks of SP release the forums will be inundated with people complaining about lack of content and boredom on SP, or that they’re struggling with some of the aspects that are not designed for SP, like the kraken. The only way I can see SP working long term is if there are modes, that can, for example make atlas a true survival game, or even timed goals and challenges.

it will also slow down overall development. I sincerely hope I’m going to be proved wrong, but I doubt it sadly.

Edited by TerrorTrooper
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, TerrorTrooper said:

Hmm. I have to agree that this is a bad direction for the games development at this time.

Ark had single-player from the outset and as I type this it has 57k players online.  Single player has never held Ark back and there's no reason it will hold Atlas back.  It hasn't stopped Ark's development in any way, shape or form, either.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, UDO said:

imo they really shouldnt be adding single player , the already low population on the serves will get worse , are they developing an mmo ? or are they finally going to admit that the game has failed pump out a single player version and call it a day and leave the rest to modders ? as this sounds very much like that is what is happening , 

either develop and mmo or single player make your minds up devs you are killing your own game patch by patch , what are the players going to do in single player ? sit on their islands alone with nothing to do but build and dont tell me you single player mode players are going to sail around you will just use admin commands to teleport about , and how many of the grids are the single players going to use ? 

I just hope they release it on console before they stop production. After console release, I really don’t care if they continue to work on it or not lol.

if they are smart they will release on co sole before they give up. That will give them one more influx of cash so they can start working on the next title. Hopefully the next one will actually be a good idea and maybe be as successful as ark. Atlas just couldn’t cut it.

2 hours ago, Coggage said:

Ark had single-player from the outset and as I type this it has 57k players online.  Single player has never held Ark back and there's no reason it will hold Atlas back.  It hasn't stopped Ark's development in any way, shape or form, either.

Totally agree with almost everything you said. Well everything you said about ark is true but anything will hurt atlas right now, it is in a very fragile state.

with being close to prewipe numbers, even if only 100 people left for single player that would still be a big dent.

and actually so far the only thing that has made numbers grow is having a wipe. It’s like ark putting new servers up. Anytime they do that players always rush to play the fresh server.

if they wipe again you will see another increase in players. So wipes are pretty beneficial for overall numbers even though some would say they don’t like wipes.

i wouldn’t be surprised if they “changed” something that was critical enough to need another wipe. Might see a little more green in the sea of red on atlas charts

4 hours ago, TerrorTrooper said:

firstly, it was marketed as an MMO, why people are requesting it, and why the devs are doing it is beyond me! 

The devs are really struggling to separate the mechanics of PvP and PVE as it is. When they tweak the game for one it usually has an undesired effect of the other. (When they did the wipe, they played with the idea of completely separating the mechanics of PvP and PVE then decided not to, shame, they really should have.)

As the game stands, i forsee that within 2 weeks of SP release the forums will be inundated with people complaining about lack of content and boredom on SP, or that they’re struggling with some of the aspects that are not designed for SP, like the kraken. The only way I can see SP working long term is if there are modes, that can, for example make atlas a true survival game, or even timed goals and challenges.

it will also slow down overall development. I sincerely hope I’m going to be proved wrong, but I doubt it sadly.

People don’t like megas. Those solo players you have seen on here getting mad that they can doing anything? Yeah those are the single player people. They don’t want to join a big company and the devs realized that.

i remember seeing quite a few solo players on this forum.

3 hours ago, Realist said:

People don’t like megas. Those solo players you have seen on here getting mad that they can doing anything? Yeah those are the single player people. They don’t want to join a big company and the devs realized that.

i remember seeing quite a few solo players on this forum.

Mega’s are only a thing on PvP. If you play PvE you’ll hardly see them, and when you do they won’t/can’t bother you. As such, The people that are affected by them are generally unlikely to be the type of people to play solo. 

To be frank, a lot of what’s talked about Mega’s are generally people jumping on a bandwagon. 

Those who enjoy the PvP bit get sick of Mega’s are far more likely to move to PVE or private server to maintain the human interaction that attracts that type of player. So that point is moot.

saying the players talked and the Devs listened regarding solo play in an advertised MMO is like me going on a call of duty forum and complaining that I want to play without guns and expect the devs to do something about it.

the devs had a vision of a completely free World when people can fight or cooperate however they wanted whenever they wanted, it was a noble and glorious dream that I’ve always had in gaming too! The sad reality is it didn’t work because people will always be people! Now they’ve lost their way and are floundering trying to keep everyone happy when they really need to figure out how to make their vision work while keeping the restrictions to a minimum. Not trying to appease a vocal minority in a game that frankly, isn’t intended to support what they’re asking for. 

Like I said, I’d love to be proved wrong, but I dont think so.

17 minutes ago, TerrorTrooper said:

Mega’s are only a thing on PvP. If you play PvE you’ll hardly see them, and when you do they won’t/can’t bother you. As such, The people that are affected by them are generally unlikely to be the type of people to play solo. 

To be frank, a lot of what’s talked about Mega’s are generally people jumping on a bandwagon. 

Those who enjoy the PvP bit get sick of Mega’s are far more likely to move to PVE or private server to maintain the human interaction that attracts that type of player. So that point is moot.

saying the players talked and the Devs listened regarding solo play in an advertised MMO is like me going on a call of duty forum and complaining that I want to play without guns and expect the devs to do something about it.

the devs had a vision of a completely free World when people can fight or cooperate however they wanted whenever they wanted, it was a noble and glorious dream that I’ve always had in gaming too! The sad reality is it didn’t work because people will always be people! Now they’ve lost their way and are floundering trying to keep everyone happy when they really need to figure out how to make their vision work while keeping the restrictions to a minimum. Not trying to appease a vocal minority in a game that frankly, isn’t intended to support what they’re asking for. 

I am pretty sure people hated the idea that call of duty wasn’t getting a single player as well. So no, your statement on not wanting guns in cod was not even close to a comparison lol.

i know people on here like using the words vocal and minority but what you don’t realize is the minority is the current playerbase lol the 4K that still play. The majority already moved on because they didn’t like the direction.

you can like the direction all you want and you aren’t in the wrong for it. You do however need to realize that you are the minority.

18 minutes ago, TerrorTrooper said:

Plus it really doesn’t matter what their vision is. They are a business that needs to make money. If people don’t like their product then their vision is worthless. It doesn’t matter what they want. It matters what the customer wants

Edited by Realist

20 hours ago, Coggage said:

ark was a single island , this game isnt , ark had a lot more content even at release , ark also had the advantage as there wasnt really many other survival games around to compete , 

Edited by UDO

4 hours ago, UDO said:

ark was a single island , this game isnt ...

Hmm, and that matters how, exactly?

@Coggage

ark was one island suitable for single player experience ,what are solo single players going to do with 255 grids ? let me tell u they are going to sit on one island and teleport around to others if they need resources , or spawn it in NO SINGLE SOLO PLAYER IS GOING TO SAIL MORE THAN 1 OR 2 GRIDS,   until they get bored , so they are going to play mini ark  with less tames and less to do ....

Edited by UDO

I've the feeling this is their exit plan - patch in single player, release for console and call it quits. Player numbers are down so hard it isnt funny anymore

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Coggage said:

Hmm, and that matters how, exactly?

, i told u how in my reply , reread my entire reply to your comments and rethink your comment , reading comprehension a bit low ? 

1 minute ago, oni said:

I've the feeling this is their exit plan - patch in single player, release for console and call it quits. Player numbers are down so hard it isnt funny anymore

i was thinking the exact same thing when i saw the announcment 

Edited by UDO