Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
Captain Stabbin

@devs. We love you guys for giving us single player!

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, oni said:

I've the feeling this is their exit plan - patch in single player, release for console and call it quits. Player numbers are down so hard it isnt funny anymore

As long as they release it on console first, I am completely fine with them quitting. There is already enough to do and they haven’t been making good decisions.

hopefully they get rid of claims before they call it quits though. Stand alone ark time. Building anywhere with no upkeep. That would be so awesome.

if they could rid of all the upkeep then the game will be perfect and just let chaos happen. That would be a good decision 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, UDO said:

 , i told u how in my reply , reread my entire reply to your comments and rethink your comment , reading comprehension a bit low ? 

i was thinking the exact same thing when i saw the announcment 

I don’t really blame them to be honest. When they tried to be “different” they ended up being wayyyyy too different. Ark was grindy enough. Once I heard you guys talking about upkeep as far as npcs/claims/player shops and god knows what else I was like “nope, that is stupid” and I already knew a lot of others would think so.

that is the risk you take when you try to be different. They made a very bad decision with claims. They would have been a lot more successful with factions especially to kill the Megas. Lesson learned.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ARk has single player,conan exiles has single player,ESO you can solo ,No mans sky has a single player,Dark and light,Outlaws of the old west,citadel forged with fire has sp,I don't see why all you hard core atlas pvp'ers are complaining yet again.You don't see the point in solo or small group players on the servers anyway and this way you get to see them gone.I agree that having the whole map is pretty damn ludicrous in sp mode though,It seems they are trying an easier option than creating an entire sp map that stands alone,maybe by us playing on a ghosted server similar to the way events are done in some games,like your solo base in WOW.But however they do it the whole map idea is just a plain waste of effort.And you are right that  in trying to please everyone all they have succeeded in so far is making the game grindier, especially for small groups and solo players,so maybe single player mode is a good option for a lot of players.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Whitehawk said:

ARk has single player,conan exiles has single player,ESO you can solo ,No mans sky has a single player,Dark and light,Outlaws of the old west,citadel forged with fire has sp,I don't see why all you hard core atlas pvp'ers are complaining yet again.You don't see the point in solo or small group players on the servers anyway and this way you get to see them gone.I agree that having the whole map is pretty damn ludicrous in sp mode though,It seems they are trying an easier option than creating an entire sp map that stands alone,maybe by us playing on a ghosted server similar to the way events are done in some games,like your solo base in WOW.But however they do it the whole map idea is just a plain waste of effort.And you are right that  in trying to please everyone all they have succeeded in so far is making the game grindier, especially for small groups and solo players,so maybe single player mode is a good option for a lot of players.

Not a waste of effort at all.

The mod community will take hold of this and add things that will speed travel across the map,etc.

As you already know Ark resulted in some of the most outstanding mods from the community that they started to give awards!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As long as all the resources are available there is no need for the whole grid, we play a smaller grid on private servers and it works fine.Also if you already think they should do a fast travel mod then you know the maps too big for sp,and the ark maps are way smaller too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, UDO said:

@Coggage

ark was one island suitable for single player experience ,what are solo single players going to do with 255 grids ? let me tell u they are going to sit on one island and teleport around to others if they need resources , or spawn it in NO SINGLE SOLO PLAYER IS GOING TO SAIL MORE THAN 1 OR 2 GRIDS,   until they get bored , so they are going to play mini ark  with less tames and less to do ....

All I can say is so what?  There are so few players in Atlas now it's effectively a single player game as it is - 4,800 players on at peak time on Sunday is a joke.  I made a new character about 5 weeks ago** and I've sailed to maybe 9 zones (looking for Salt, dammit) and visited about 13 islands and because there are so few players I've seen nobody else whatsoever.  A few buildings, a couple of anchored ships but no people at all. The difference between single-player and "multi-player" (I use the term loosely) would be indistinguishable to me. At least on single-player I can use mods to add some MUCH needed content and variety.

**EDIT:  I confess I don't play a lot, maybe a couple of hours every couple of days, but I doubt that playing more would increase my chances of seeing anyone at this stage in the game's life... or rather death.

Edited by Coggage

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, UDO said:

@Coggage

ark was one island suitable for single player experience ,what are solo single players going to do with 255 grids ? let me tell u they are going to sit on one island and teleport around to others if they need resources , or spawn it in NO SINGLE SOLO PLAYER IS GOING TO SAIL MORE THAN 1 OR 2 GRIDS,   until they get bored , so they are going to play mini ark  with less tames and less to do ....

Not sure where that assumption would come from but that is the whole point of single player!

People don’t always have time to sail across 10 grids and then sail back.  Those of us with jobs realize that we will be able to explore all regions and simply log off when real life calls.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Captain Stabbin said:

Not sure where that assumption would come from but that is the whole point of single player!

People don’t always have time to sail across 10 grids and then sail back.  Those of us with jobs realize that we will be able to explore all regions and simply log off when real life calls.

 

 

this was meant to be an mmo with 40k players they release the dedictated server files players split off , they allow private servers players split off , now single player , they have slowly killed there own vision with there decisions,

a giant MMO was there original vision u don't release all the server files and allow private servers for an MMo of this scale to succeed ,they needed to keep the players on their own server playing their vision of the game ,

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 6/22/2019 at 2:56 AM, Coggage said:

Ark had single-player from the outset and as I type this it has 57k players online.  Single player has never held Ark back and there's no reason it will hold Atlas back.  It hasn't stopped Ark's development in any way, shape or form, either.

Ark also never aspired to be a true massive world MMO either. It never attempted core features of MMO gameplay like economy, wheras Grapeshot said from the word go that Atlas would be patterned on Eve. Eve above all else in the industry is noted for it's economy. A single player mode can do nothing with regards to economy except prevent it's development, since by definition single players mode can't interact in any way with other players.

Regardless of any other considerations or aspects, this is a key and significant way that making the comparison between Ark and Atlas isn't valid and single player mode will indeed be problematic for Atlas's development. This annoucement means one of two things:

1. Grapeshot does not understand MMO development at a very fundamental level.

2. They are giving up on their originally stated design vision for Atlas and instead just feeding the playerbase whatever the loudest voices on the forums demand in hopes of salvaging something as a viable game.

Edited by boomervoncannon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, UDO said:

this was meant to be an mmo with 40k players they release the dedictated server files players split off , they allow private servers players split off , now single player , they have slowly killed there own vision with there decisions,

a giant MMO was there original vision u don't release all the server files and allow private servers for an MMo of this scale to succeed ,they needed to keep the players on their own server playing their vision of the game ,

I remember scratching my head in puzzlement at the decision to allow private servers from the word go. It struck me as weird and counterproductive to what they said they hoped to acheive. I don't think this wound up being the primary reason or even amongst the main reasons for Atlas's lackluster reception to date, but it certainly hasn't helped matters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, boomervoncannon said:

Ark also never aspired to be a true massive world MMO either. It never attempted core features of MMO gameplay like economy, wheras Grapeshot said from the word go that Atlas would be patterned on Eve. Eve above all else in the industry is noted for it's economy. A single player mode can do nothing with regards to economy except prevent it's development, since by definition single players mode can't interact in any way with other players.

They SAID a lot of things about what they were going to do and delivered virtually none of it.  What they did deliver was very badly implemented.  Saying they were trying to emulate Eve Online just demonstrated how out of touch with reality this company is.  Whatever their aim REALLY was - if they ever actually had one that went past pie-in-the-sky PR blurb - is irrelevant now.  The player base is so incredibly low and spread so thin the game is effectively a single-player game NOW.  I made  new character about 5 or 6 weeks ago and in the time  have played it I have visited 9 regions and round 13 or 14 islands and seen no other players.  A few buildings here and there, a few anchored ships, but not one person. Yay for The Economy. The only hopes of salvaging whatever they have left of the game IS to listen to the loudest voices, because the company itself has never had any real direction since day one of release.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, boomervoncannon said:

Ark also never aspired to be a true massive world MMO either. It never attempted core features of MMO gameplay like economy, wheras Grapeshot said from the word go that Atlas would be patterned on Eve. Eve above all else in the industry is noted for it's economy. A single player mode can do nothing with regards to economy except prevent it's development, since by definition single players mode can't interact in any way with other players.

Regardless of any other considerations or aspects, this is a key and significant way that making the comparison between Ark and Atlas isn't valid and single player mode will indeed be problematic for Atlas's development. This annoucement means one of two things:

1. Grapeshot does not understand MMO development at a very fundamental level.

2. They are giving up on their originally stated design vision for Atlas and instead just feeding the playerbase whatever the loudest voices on the forums demand in hopes of salvaging something as a viable game.

They might have said is was based off of eve, but I learned a while back not to just take someone word for it. I do know what this game is actually based on though and single player is just one more of the many ways it is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Coggage said:

They SAID a lot of things about what they were going to do and delivered virtually none of it.  What they did deliver was very badly implemented.  Saying they were trying to emulate Eve Online just demonstrated how out of touch with reality this company is.  Whatever their aim REALLY was - if they ever actually had one that went past pie-in-the-sky PR blurb - is irrelevant now.  The player base is so incredibly low and spread so thin the game is effectively a single-player game NOW.  I made  new character about 5 or 6 weeks ago and in the time  have played it I have visited 9 regions and round 13 or 14 islands and seen no other players.  A few buildings here and there, a few anchored ships, but not one person. Yay for The Economy. The only hopes of salvaging whatever they have left of the game IS to listen to the loudest voices, because the company itself has never had any real direction since day one of release.

None of this changes the thrust of my point, which was that meaningful differences between Ark and Atlas’s development do exist, contrary to your assertion otherwise. I would tend to agree that it appears likely to matter little now after they have completely botched their original vision, but there were people asking for a SP mode almost from day one, something which belies a fundamental misunderstanding of what a massive open world MMO is even supposed to be, regardless of Atlas’s failure to execute that.

If one shows up to a basketball game and complains loudly that no one is scoring touchdowns and you want to see more quarterback sacks, the problem is you’re at the wrong game, regardless of how bad the home team sucks. If ownership announces at halftime that the second half will be football, this might be pleasing to the few folks left in the stands who showed up wanting football, but it is still fundamentally weird and yes, shows a lack of direction on ownerships part. What it doesn’t mean is that football and basketball are the same game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, boomervoncannon said:

None of this changes the thrust of my point...

I understand your point, but that doesn't mean it has any real relevance at this stage.  It's all academic.  The Devs have absolutely no idea what to do right now other than deliver single player, which is what many players were clamouring for quite early on given the shitty claim systems and the equally shitty attempts to fix them.  They have no worthwhile strategy of their own to implement at this point, so they may as well assume the position and get on with it sooner rather than later.

I'm having a more interesting game experience playing Ark with mods, frankly, and ironically there are actually players I can trade with!  😄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Coggage said:

I understand your point, but that doesn't mean it has any real relevance at this stage.  It's all academic.  The Devs have absolutely no idea what to do right now other than deliver single player, which is what many players were clamouring for quite early on given the shitty claim systems and the equally shitty attempts to fix them.  They have no worthwhile strategy of their own to implement at this point, so they may as well assume the position and get on with it sooner rather than later.

I'm having a more interesting game experience playing Ark with mods, frankly, and ironically there are actually players I can trade with!  😄

It is relevant because you were creating a false premise: that there is no difference between an instanced single map survival MMO and a massive open world MMO. Call it academic if you like, but I wasn’t the one who made a false assertion, I just corrected it. If it is all academic and therefore irrelevant as you assert, then why did you bring it up in the first place?

You are conflating Atlas’s failures with the notion that a SP mode for a massive open world MMO is a thing that makes sense. It does not, and yet some people have been asking for it from the beginning, so arguing that the only thing that matters is now falls flat in the context of a discussion that includes nonsensical requests shouted loudly since day one. Does it really make more sense for the owners to switch to football at halftime just because that’s what some of the folks left in the stands want?  They were shouting that nonsense at the beginning of the game and the team’s lousy performance does zero to change the absurdity of showing up for basketball and expecting football.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Boom I see no point in arguing with him.

 

As to the person talking about not seeing anyone in 9 grids I want to know where the heck he is at.  I know a good 12 grids he can sail through.  If he survives more than 2-3 I would be surprised.  NA PvP is at war.  Dozens of companies and several large alliances are going at it daily.  Its been a blast with both sides hitting each other hard.   Just look for the grid with over 100 people in it duking it out.  That has been what we averaged daily the last several days.

Edited by DocHolliday

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×