Sign in to follow this  
Kulchatila

Set heading (ship forward ship) : How it Work

Hi, i use Boat Auto-Pilot but i dont know how to use this option :

Auto-Pilot / Set heading (ship forward ship)

Any one may explain to me about this please? 

Thanks

I have never really known how autopilot works either, many folks have posted, ahh just stick an NPC at the wheel..  But, if you set a course North-West, does the NPC helmsman just sail your galleon at 18kts into the first tocks that present themselves?   What about avoiding tornadoes or other ships / SoTD?

I haven't yet trusted NPC helmsman, but figured this is as good a place as any to ask!  😄

After you put an NPC on the wheel, a new wheel menu item called "Autopilot" will show up on the ship menu wheel. It has options to sail with the wind, cardinal compass directions, and the like. However, personally I do not use that menu and there is a much easier way with the whistle menu.

After your NPC is on the wheel and you are un-anchored, hold your whistle key down (default T) until the whistle wheel appears. You will see new options for "Fully open sails", "Fully close sails", and "Sail towards my direction". These will be your goto options for almost everything you want to do.

Look in the direction you want to sail, pull up the whistle wheel and choose "Sail towards my direction". The NPC will turn the ship to where you are looking and rotate the sails to best wind (btw, doing both at the same time, faster than you can do it manually). NPC will keep managing the sail rotation to keep best wind for you. You can use these whistle commands from anywhere on your ship (on deck, crow's nest, at your crafting station below deck, on a podium, etc).

I recommend climbing up to the crows nest to get the extra render range (you can see SotD, shipwrecks, and floatsom from MUCH farther), listen to the wind whistle by, and navigate your ship from just the whistle menu. You can spyglass floatsom, sail towards it, and stop your ship right next to it all without leaving the crow's nest.

If you have not tried out an NPC wheelman ... I highly recommend it, and you won't go back to manually sailing your ship in most cases. Same with Sextant buff, another thing that I cannot live without.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

19 hours ago, Vurmis said:

After you put an NPC on the wheel, a new wheel menu item called "Autopilot" will show up on the ship menu wheel. It has options to sail with the wind, cardinal compass directions, and the like. However, personally I do not use that menu and there is a much easier way with the whistle menu.

After your NPC is on the wheel and you are un-anchored, hold your whistle key down (default T) until the whistle wheel appears. You will see new options for "Fully open sails", "Fully close sails", and "Sail towards my direction". These will be your goto options for almost everything you want to do.

Look in the direction you want to sail, pull up the whistle wheel and choose "Sail towards my direction". The NPC will turn the ship to where you are looking and rotate the sails to best wind (btw, doing both at the same time, faster than you can do it manually). NPC will keep managing the sail rotation to keep best wind for you. You can use these whistle commands from anywhere on your ship (on deck, crow's nest, at your crafting station below deck, on a podium, etc).

I recommend climbing up to the crows nest to get the extra render range (you can see SotD, shipwrecks, and floatsom from MUCH farther), listen to the wind whistle by, and navigate your ship from just the whistle menu. You can spyglass floatsom, sail towards it, and stop your ship right next to it all without leaving the crow's nest.

If you have not tried out an NPC wheelman ... I highly recommend it, and you won't go back to manually sailing your ship in most cases. Same with Sextant buff, another thing that I cannot live without.

An absolutely fabulous reply.  Thanks Vurmis.  Cudos of the day.

Good, i know all about what you explain...thanks for that.

Im french talker and lack in english so im not really good at explain in english

But i dont see answer to my question. I Really want to know badly how work the option i ask informations on how to use.

Can you explain me that option please, thanks :

SET HEADING (SHIP FORWARD SHIP)

On 6/19/2019 at 5:56 PM, Kulchatila said:

Auto-Pilot / Set heading (ship forward ship) 

Sets the heading the NPC will sail to be the direction the ship is currently pointing. Useful as the first auto-pilot command or to cancel the current rotation towards another set NPC auto-pilot heading (ie stop turning the 90 degrees to the right that I just set).

• Thanks 1