Sign in to follow this  
Whitehawk

Get rid of vits

The vitamins bar gets silly at times in this game,I'm not needing to  eat through hunger but I have to eat for vits,then I get an overate penalty.When people literally find it easier to let their character die to replenish their vits bar rather than have to keep getting food ,then surely there is a problem with that aspect of the game.

• Like 1

Survival tactics in an mmo are developers fix for lack of content. If they keep you busy enough scrounging for stuff and worrying about vitamins, you don't look around to see that there is a lack of content to keep you occupied. They are finding out the same way other developers have that if you make the game a chore and not fun, people leave. For a B2P title that doesn't matter as long as they can keep new sales incoming. Once they have your cash they really give zero fucks what you do. Problem for them is that ARK already had a dodgy reputation, and spinning off Grapeshot and keeping the same tactics didn't work. They may have gotten my $15 bucks, but I guarantee I have cost them thousands by telling everyone on various platforms I am active on what a shitshow this has become.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

50 minutes ago, UnknownSystemError said:

Survival tactics in an mmo are developers fix for lack of content. If they keep you busy enough scrounging for stuff and worrying about vitamins, you don't look around to see that there is a lack of content to keep you occupied. They are finding out the same way other developers have that if you make the game a chore and not fun, people leave. For a B2P title that doesn't matter as long as they can keep new sales incoming. Once they have your cash they really give zero fucks what you do. Problem for them is that ARK already had a dodgy reputation, and spinning off Grapeshot and keeping the same tactics didn't work. They may have gotten my $15 bucks, but I guarantee I have cost them thousands by telling everyone on various platforms I am active on what a shitshow this has become.

Its $15...

Once you leave your moms basement and start paying rent its really not that much...

Pretty much the price of a pizza once you start buying that as well...

Heaven forbid you want extra toppings...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I don’t have a problem with the vitamins at all. I like the buff you get from achieving equilibrium, and with some planning it’s not difficult to keep them up.

The simplest way I’ve found to keep them up is to max out your vitamin buff in the survival tree. The second tier is good enough, but having the third is really nice. Put some points into fortitude because that also reduces your vitamin depletion rate. I always have at least 40 points in fortitude. With the equilibrium buff that becomes 70, which makes it a bit easier as well.

For food, salt prime meat in a preserving bag, grow veggies, have a cow for milk, and I like to keep rum around as well, though berries are usually easy to find. The salted prime meat gives you a lot of vitamin b without filling up your hunger bar as well. Veggies are good for vitamin a, but if you can’t farm just spend some time picking up coconuts or digging up potatoes. Rum and milk will give you vitamins c and d respectively, and they fill up your water bar, not hunger. Eating the salted prime meat will lower your water level.

I also keep salted meat and salted fish in the preserving bag, just in case my water bar is too full. Eating a few of them will lower your water level so you can have more rum or milk.

Without any of the overeating skills, you can eat up to 125 points without taking damage. If you need to eat more yet, grab a tool and just swing it in the air to lower your stamina quickly. Regenerating stamina will use up your food levels.

With a bit of effort, it’s not that difficult to maintain the buff, and I think the buff is absolutely worth the effort. I always feel so slow after I die and lose the buff.

Hopefully this will help you and others out, and if anybody else has some tips please share them. 😊

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Whitehawk said:

The vitamins bar gets silly at times in this game,I'm not needing to  eat through hunger but I have to eat for vits,then I get an overate penalty.When people literally find it easier to let their character die to replenish their vits bar rather than have to keep getting food ,then surely there is a problem with that aspect of the game.

Yes, the vitamins were a very stupid decision. Food, water, temperature is quite enough. You aren’t doing to die from a vitamin deficiency anyways. And even if you could it would literally take the whole life of your character for it to happen.

doesnt matter if it is survival, that is just stupid. Time to get rid of that crap.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Nutcutt3r said:

Its $15...

Once you leave your moms basement and start paying rent its really not that much...

Pretty much the price of a pizza once you start buying that as well...

Heaven forbid you want extra toppings...

And they say I am mean to people lol. Guess the people that said that are idiots 👍

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Realist said:

Yes, the vitamins were a very stupid decision. Food, water, temperature is quite enough. You aren’t doing to die from a vitamin deficiency anyways. And even if you could it would literally take the whole life of your character for it to happen.

doesnt matter if it is survival, that is just stupid. Time to get rid of that crap.

If you have a defiency on all 4 you die really quick actually. Tho the Vitamins Are a cool idea but they should also adjust Food drain if Vitamins decrease so u can actually eat Without overeating. As soon as they implement the Death oenalties Food will get really Important And could make a whole new market,which i'd really love to See.

41 minutes ago, zottel said:

If you have a defiency on all 4 you die really quick actually. Tho the Vitamins Are a cool idea but they should also adjust Food drain if Vitamins decrease so u can actually eat Without overeating. As soon as they implement the Death oenalties Food will get really Important And could make a whole new market,which i'd really love to See.

Once they add death penalties if they leave the vitamins in there as well this will become a very boring mmo. Every step further into survival will kill a little more of the mmo. That is why they can’t seem to succeed.

They know survival which is cool. They know nothing about an mmo. Just like everyone said this is a niche game for a niche playerbase right? The one thing that isn’t brought up is that survival and mmo are two different niches. Can both be present? Yes. Do they need to be careful when treading? Yes, definitely.

unless of course the want the niche to be so much so they have 500 people that think it’s the best game ever and 100’s of millions that do not.

bad decision making has already shown the effects. We will see how far they are willing to go. Once someone develops a bad taste they don’t go back for seconds.

They already made a big step out of survival, as there is Nothing that can kill you if you arent blind. What makes the. People leave isnt only content,its more that every content etc. Is so easy to achieve that it doesnt take Long to" finish" the Game. For PVE you travell out of the freeport And go to an Island. As you reach One You build a small hut And Maybe do some Farming. As a casual Gamer with work etc. You go to bed. Second Day You get Yourself an elephant And best And Maybe even a Giraffe. You are done with your shipyard And eventually Farm to Test your tames. Day 3 you notice that the schooner you build And got sunk actually did Not Take Long to Farm,so You Farm for a Brig. Day 4 you finally finished the Brig And you are undestroyable,so you Decide to kill some high Level sotds in golden Age. After the Brig got sunk you go to bed. Day 5-6 is the Moment you build a gally because those sotd seem too Strong.day 7 And the galleon is done And you are Super Proud of the work of 2days Farming. Could continue if you Want but you are kinda  done  within 3 Weeks as a casual

- Skill the vitamin deployment

- craft better food (pork pie and monarchs cake a.e.)

Problem solved, thanks to everyone!

• Like 1

It's always a terrible choice after being attacked, when full to replenish your vit D and die of over eating, or die from wounds and deficiency.  Normally I carry a spare med kit though...  Nothing more appropriate than bandaging yourself after a fish and chips  😉

On a serious note, it's ok.  I don't mind the vit bit.  Just remember to eat berries / veg last, as i have never got 'over ate' from berries, but regularly over indulge on my yellows..  tip:  don't eat 50 rice in one sitting LOL

4 hours ago, Forb Hidden said:

- Skill the vitamin deployment

- craft better food (pork pie and monarchs cake a.e.)

Problem solved, thanks to everyone!

Cooking skill, few points in and you unlocking pork pie, and fish and chips.  Those 2 give you all your vitamins and keep you full.  Hardest part is needing wheat or corn for them which is a few more points in cooking for small crop plot and sailing for seeds.  

Craft better food.

Edit: Two fun facts.

1)  Common sense, but If you craft better food they can give you bonuses also like increased stamina, damage, etc. 

2) Lesser known fact, if you put it in your pets inventory and force feed it to them by pressing E, they get some of the bonuses too.  Elephants with stamina food boost harvest wood even better!

Edited by Remcott
  • Like 1

I honestly haven't noticed the vitamins at all since season 1 ended. I will get hungry or thirsty long before vitamins give me any trouble. A quick suicide and right back to action. If I am going sailing I will ofc have a larder on board for the crew anyways, so its not even an issue. Certainly not worth putting any skill points into.

11 hours ago, Realist said:

And they say I am mean to people lol. Guess the people that said that are idiots 👍

No, hes not mean, hes just stating a fact. I grew up spending $50 per game. It was the going rate for every new title. Granted, they were finished titles and ready for market (up until about 7-10 years ago, damn you D3).

$15 for a game is basically a free game. I don't even care if its early access because you are paying less than half of retail. It is an insignificant amount of money for the entertainment you get out of it. Best part is when it releases for $40, $50, $60 whatever they charge, you still have the game for the $15 you spent 2 years prior.

Its so cheap in fact, that you would have to dissuade over 133 people that were certainly going to buy the game from doing so to have cost GS thousands of dollars (certainly doable with social media mind you).

-CS

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Whitehawk said:

I don't think getting rid of vits is the answer.. but I do feel we either should remove fruits/orange vits or be allowed to grow fruits/orange vits.

Because living on a ship, where you cannot find any.. is kinda stupid design.

8 hours ago, Martyn said:

I don't think getting rid of vits is the answer.. but I do feel we either should remove fruits/orange vits or be allowed to grow fruits/orange vits. 

Because living on a ship, where you cannot find any.. is kinda stupid design. 

There are recipes for that.

If you have the points to spare there are. Or gold to spare to keep switching etc

I actually need to travel to a different island once or twice a week to get berries because there's a half dozen locations on my entire island.  Given the ease of getting meat, fish, milk and veg.. there's no reason why we can't grow berries.

Edited by Martyn

Scurvy is a real thing though.  Vitamin C is a good thing to have to take note of.  However, vit C deficiency is actually really hard to get, unless you have a crap diet (and can take months to show first symptoms).  Who has that much of a crap diet these days?   BUT we're not talking these days, we are PIRATES, YARR.  Months out to sea, nothing to eat than hunks of meat, and salted fish.. and rum..  

It would be very good to have a recpie for Vit C pills though.  For QOL, Vit C should be a thing, but easy(ish) to keep on top of.   I tend to eat like 75 berries for about 75% (convenient 1% per berry?)  Would be perfectly balanced for say 50 berries for a 50% vit top up.  

Meat, fish and veggies I think are fine.  I tend to eat the meats first, as they seem to nuke your hunger level far more aggressively as veggies or fruit.  But, ironically, I think the yellow bar is the source of more deaths than anything else!  How many times I have accidentally OD'd on yellows....   eating too much rice assures death!

It would be more constructive to fix the meals so that they actually provide long term balance. Most multi-vit meals now only replenish 1, most currently do not balance the nutrients and most currently do not provide any longer term advantage.
There (currently) is hardly any incentive to cook in PVE. (grog is all you need)

29 minutes ago, wandelaar said:

It would be more constructive to fix the meals so that they actually provide long term balance. Most multi-vit meals now only replenish 1, most currently do not balance the nutrients and most currently do not provide any longer term advantage.
There (currently) is hardly any incentive to cook in PVE. (grog is all you need)

+30 fortitude

+10% movement speed

+20 Melee Damage (don't make use of this much)

Thats all the incentive I need, plus 1 pork pie, 1 fish & chips and all vit's are ballanced.

Edited by Jack Shandy