Sign in to follow this  
Martyn

Questions about Boarding someone elses ship. And Basing from it.

As far as I am concerned, this is a blatent attempt by grapeshot to turn pve into pvp.

This ability has so many possible griefing outcomes as to make me seriously think about stopping play completely, as I am not willing to loose a galleon full of my hard work, to some griefer scumbag because the devs think it's funny to allow it.

However, at this time, my main concerns are just paranoid thoughts.

So from a PVE standpoint.

1/ What happens when someone not allied to the ship owner logs into a ship that is moving?

2/ What is to stop 50 people, logging out of the game, on your ship and then logging back into the game when you're in the middle of the ocean, 20-30 mins from nearest island? And then sinking it, because there's now too many crew on board?  Do non allied players count towards your crew count?

3/ Do non allied fall off the ship during zoning?

4/ How do you expel them? Is it a generic kick all or do you have to find each individual and then use the wheel on them, what if they're always running away/jumping etc. When expelled are they physically removed or put into the sliding motion, can they not just use your ladders and climb back on board?

5/ Does the weight of non allied players count towards ship weight? This would be both an exploit if they do and also if they don't.. as you could ferry fully loaded players around.  Bypassing weight/speed rules.  Otherwise, they could sink your ship by putting it overweight..

6/ Can non allied players seize an unlocked ship and ram it onto the shore?

7/ Are there protections in place to stop lower ranked players in the same company from griefing in the same way? ie New members who might just be griefers in disguise.

8/ If the non allied dies, can they respawn on your ship, using your beds?

9/ Can they fast travel to your ship?

Edited by Martyn
  • Like 1

I've only responded to questions I have an opinion on, if I have no idea then i'll leave the question out.

42 minutes ago, Martyn said:

2/ What is to stop 50 people, logging out of the game, on your ship and then logging back into the game when you're in the middle of the ocean, 20-30 mins from nearest island? And then sinking it, because there's now too many crew on board?  Do non allied players count towards your crew count?

What is to stop 50 people doing that? Erm the player? Are you seriously suggesting you would log on, find 50 people sleeping on your ship and you'd think, oh well, and sail off in to the seas? Of course not, you'd use the wheel to expel them from the ship.

4/ How do you expel them? Is it a generic kick all or do you have to find each individual and then use the wheel on them, what if they're always running away/jumping etc. When expelled are they physically removed or put into the sliding motion, can they not just use your ladders and climb back on board?

I don't think details have been given but I believe it is going to be an expel all option in the wheel, I don't think you'll have to do it individually, but I could be wrong. It probably will just move them off the ship. You can always raise the ladders so they can't climb back up.

6/ Can non allied players seize an unlocked ship and ram it onto the shore?

No, regardless of whether the wheel is locked or not you can't mount the wheel.

7/ Are there protections in place to stop lower ranked players in the same company from griefing in the same way? ie New members who might just be griefers in disguise.

This is the same thing as insiding, company owners should take 100% responsibility for who they let into their company. The game developers shouldn't be responsible for player actions in that way. Although I don't know if there is anything in the Company settings that dictate what members can do or not.

8/ If the non allied dies, can they respawn on your ship, using your beds?

Why would they? What makes you think anyone outside your company can use your beds on ships? Such a strange question. It's no different from beds and bases on land.

9/ Can they fast travel to your ship?

Again where are you getting these concerns from? Just because other players can now step foot on boats on PvE why do you think they can use your beds if they are not in your company? When they say you can base on them it means you can step foot on them.

2 hours ago, [GP] Guybrush Threepwood said:

What is to stop 50 people doing that? Erm the player? Are you seriously suggesting you would log on, find 50 people sleeping on your ship and you'd think, oh well, and sail off in to the seas? Of course not, you'd use the wheel to expel them from the ship.

This is the same thing as insiding, company owners should take 100% responsibility for who they let into their company. The game developers shouldn't be responsible for player actions in that way. Although I don't know if there is anything in the Company settings that dictate what members can do or not.

Why would they? What makes you think anyone outside your company can use your beds on ships? Such a strange question. It's no different from beds and bases on land.

Again where are you getting these concerns from? Just because other players can now step foot on boats on PvE why do you think they can use your beds if they are not in your company? When they say you can base on them it means you can step foot on them.

"see" sleeping on your deck? I can't "see" anyone when they log out. They just vanish. There is no body.

The devs are responsible for the code that empowers the players.  ie They actually are to blame for all the exploits that people exploit, because they coded the game.

Companies need to be setup to allow inherent protections to be put in place. That's the devs job, it isn't a players job to try to work out who can or cannot be trusted and just allow anyone complete access to everything because grapeshot can't be bothered giving them the infrastructure to play the game properly.

Bodies disappear when logging off?  That's news to me.  Is this a PvE thing?  On official PvP servers when you log off your avatar lays down and goes to sleep.  The body stays there sleeping until you log in next, get killed or moved.

My brother went on vacation for a couple weeks so I took his body and locked him up in a cage so he has a nice surprise when he wakes up. 

Edited by DocHolliday
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, DocHolliday said:

Bodies disappear when logging off?  That's news to me.  Is this a PvE thing?  On official PvP servers when you log off your avatar lays down and goes to sleep.  The body stays there sleeping until you log in next, get killed or moved.

My brother went on vacation for a couple weeks so I took his body and locked him up in a cage so he has a nice surprise when he wakes up. 

As far as I was aware the bodies disappearing when logging of is only for Freeports, and that was introduced after the horrendous launch in December. I wasn't aware of it happening outside of Freeports. I could be wrong, but pretty sure bodies remain in the world.

I've never set foot on a PvE server so figured maybe it was different.  Maybe he plays on a private server?  Maybe he is on crack?  All valid questions. 

21 minutes ago, DocHolliday said:

I've never set foot on a PvE server so figured maybe it was different.  Maybe he plays on a private server?  Maybe he is on crack?  All valid questions. 

On PVE servers (all grids), when you logout you disappear from the world.

29 minutes ago, [GP] Guybrush Threepwood said:

As far as I was aware the bodies disappearing when logging of is only for Freeports, and that was introduced after the horrendous launch in December. I wasn't aware of it happening outside of Freeports. I could be wrong, but pretty sure bodies remain in the world.

For PvE it doesnt. The char does the sleep animation, yawns and the second it hits the ground it vanishes. If they would fix the bug that you cant spawn on ships after it moved this would be a valid concern. The logged out char also counts against the crew counter.

3 hours ago, DocHolliday said:

On the pve servers all bodies vanish on log out, I assumed it was to stop them lagging the server out etc.  It was done after the freeports were covered in bodies a couple of weeks after original release.  I assumed it was also done on the pvp servers. But I did state quite clearly, in my Original Post.. "From a pve standpoint"

I take it that noone knows any of the answers to my questions.

Edited by Martyn

In regard to number 7, yes there are mechanics already in place that can be used to prevent this.

Company owners and admins can assign ranks to players, and all structures and tamed animals can have their inventory access and activation access set to only allow certain ranks.

I.E. If my rank in the company is set to rank 4, and new recruits are defaulted to rank 1, I can set all the parts of my ship to activation rank 4 and nobody under rank 4 can touch any part of my ship. If someone new joined the company, an admin would have to give them permission to interact with it.

As for number 3, I always seem to spawn in the water on the grid border whenever I log out on one of my company's ships and they travel to another grid while I'm offline. I don't see why it would be any different for non-allied players.

Edited by Kidori

Anchored ships won't sink due to overweight and over crew limit.

1: Nothing happens and boarding was also possible on non anchored ships before they made it possible.

2: If someone logs out on your ship, their body will stay at those exact co-ordinates which means if you move the ship they won't be on your ship when they login.

6. No

7. Yes, you can set ranks and permissions for each member. If they turn out to be griefers its your fault to trusting someone very quickly.

8. No

9. No

Play the game to know the answers try it out yourself with a friend. Read patch notes to know what is implemented to avoid potential griefing.

If you hard worked to build a galleon then you are doing something wrong mate. It takes 2 hrs during 2x to build a galleon.

On 6/19/2019 at 1:47 AM, Kidori said:

In regard to number 7, yes there are mechanics already in place that can be used to prevent this.

Company owners and admins can assign ranks to players, and all structures and tamed animals can have their inventory access and activation access set to only allow certain ranks.

I.E. If my rank in the company is set to rank 4, and new recruits are defaulted to rank 1, I can set all the parts of my ship to activation rank 4 and nobody under rank 4 can touch any part of my ship. If someone new joined the company, an admin would have to give them permission to interact with it.

As for number 3, I always seem to spawn in the water on the grid border whenever I log out on one of my company's ships and they travel to another grid while I'm offline. I don't see why it would be any different for non-allied players.

Actually.. it doesn't work for ships.  Non Admin ranks cannot break structure or remove items on ships, not even those they make themselves. 

Edited by Martyn

On 6/19/2019 at 5:02 AM, Vegetto said:

Anchored ships won't sink due to overweight and over crew limit.

1: Nothing happens and boarding was also possible on non anchored ships before they made it possible.

2: If someone logs out on your ship, their body will stay at those exact co-ordinates which means if you move the ship they won't be on your ship when they login.

6. No

7. Yes, you can set ranks and permissions for each member. If they turn out to be griefers its your fault to trusting someone very quickly.

8. No

9. No

Play the game to know the answers try it out yourself with a friend. Read patch notes to know what is implemented to avoid potential griefing.

If you hard worked to build a galleon then you are doing something wrong mate. It takes 2 hrs during 2x to build a galleon.

You stick to your private servers mate.  I'd like to see you build a galleon without tames, on a standard week day in 2 hours.  On an official server.

Boarding wasn't possible on anchored/non anchored ships before it was changed.  You could only hang off them or slide around on them. (on pve, to which the questions relate)

2.  That's what I expected.  7 is n/a in fact 7 is broken on ships.

As for playing the game I have 800 hours so far.  I was asking in the forums, to bypass trying to find out with a friend ingame.. seriously.. people like you.

So Basing off someone elses ship.. isn't actually possible.. if they move it, you wake up in the water.  Which also goes for your own company as well. Or allies. 

The only remaining question then is what happens if you have a galleon with 60 crewmen, with 59 crew on it and yourself and someone on a pve server then gets onto your ship whilst it is underway.   Does it then sink? Sounds like a fine griefer mandate for grapeshot to add to the pve game.

How does removal actually work, is T/Wheel on player or is it a global command? Does it remove all at once, or one at a time? Can't they just climb back on board? With grapple or fly on? Yes they're all questions I could do with a mate online.. but forums are for asking questions.  This is a forum.

Edited by Martyn

29 minutes ago, Martyn said:

You stick to your private servers mate.  I'd like to see you build a galleon without tames, on a standard week day in 2 hours.  On an official server.

He never said it takes 2 hours during a standard week day.

My god all we see from you on this forum is moan moan moan. I think Single Player will be better suited for you next month.

I think at least part of the confusion comes from the term they used in the patch notes: "Basing".

In this case what Basing means, is essentially "Character is able to stand firmly" - ie, not that floating around thing it used to do.

1 hour ago, Diesel Power said:

I think at least part of the confusion comes from the term they used in the patch notes: "Basing".

In this case what Basing means, is essentially "Character is able to stand firmly" - ie, not that floating around thing it used to do.

I don't know why anyone would get confused with the term, how would anyone think it means they can build and use stuff on other people's ships. I mean come on, where's the commonsense around here.

• Haha 1