Warspectre

SoD fleets are a bad idea that needs to go away

Oh yeh cos you'd get a million volunteer 'friends' doing a salt run,Oh hang on 'NOT', also some people might not seem to realise this, but this game is worldwide and sometimes we are at completely different time zones.And you might wanna add that to the fact that some of us actually have non digital real lives too,yeh just imagine it if you can,real life 'friends'.but thx for your advice anyway.

SOTD are not particularly dangerous.  Ive never lost a panel to a fleet.  And even if i did i carry about ten spares just in case (and for rocks, THOSE are dangerous).

I honestly have a hard time figuring out how anybody sinks to these things.  even if a fleet drops on you on the zone border, you should easily outpace them before they do real damage.  even galleons dont dish out that much.

i take multiple fleets (galleons and brigs) on a galleon, and have also fought the smaller fleets on a schooner.  i never use deck cannons, all broadsides.  kiting is slow, even when it worked.

unless you literally come to a stop and sit until they sink you, they are no threat

SotD were to easy as they were.  A brand new schooner with 2 cannons nothing from blueprints could slowly kite and destroy any of those ships with minimal damage or threat.  At least now I feel like sometimes I have to worry about them.

My biggest problem with SotD is as people have said collecting the crew/flotsom.  I have very little issues with points into resistance surviving in a basic build no armor.  BUT, I've had people come in and pick up my drops as well while I'm dealing with the other few still shooting.  Which pirate game can be used as an arguement, but I would rather board their ship and fight SoD with my crew and friends than mindless kite these guys.

I also dont like getting BP I'd much rather actually have a use for the pirate tree salvage skills and when I sink it gain some rewards, but have to dive down and either get planks, guns, etc from the wreck with bonus drops from salvage skills.  BP are a good idea, but should be something that let's me craft without needing the skill.  That's a completely different rant though.

yeh but my problem with the sotd and some other players agree isn't how easy they are to beat in a fair fight,its when u r unarmed and just doing a run for resources.ok you can outrun them a lot of the time,but not when the wind damn well disappears and you're dead in the water.I've even had them sink me when I was on a raft!Also not everyone has hours on end to play this game either so kiting isn't always an option.I think they should't be allowed to aggro you unless your boat is armed.

1 hour ago, Whitehawk said:

,but not when the wind damn well disappears and you're dead in the water

Ya thats the go to shore cue, if you stay out and get caught its your own fault, nothing else.

I'ts when I'm sailing back,if I could make to the shore I would,,I don't get halfway across the grid with a warning popping up saying,30secs till wind drop!If you turn sail now you can just make it!It's not like the cyclone warning,at least they tell us about that. You do play atlas I take it?

7 hours ago, Whitehawk said:

I'ts when I'm sailing back,if I could make to the shore I would,,I don't get halfway across the grid with a warning popping up saying,30secs till wind drop!If you turn sail now you can just make it!It's not like the cyclone warning,at least they tell us about that. You do play atlas I take it?

What cyclone warning?

11 hours ago, Whitehawk said:

What!

The wind arrow getting smaller & smaller for the last 1/2 hour isn't warning enough?

Edited by Jack Shandy

They have already nerfed this game to the point that there is no challenge on land....and now you want to remove all obstacles on the sea.  GTFOH....this is a survival game with nothing left to survive!

If you think this game is difficult in its current state.....you should get gud or just quit.   

#bringbackthechallenge 

• Like 1

I have had zero issues with SOTD, if I don’t want or have time to engage I turn with the wind and outpace them in a few minutes. If I have good wind I’ll attempt to avoid a broadside collision but other than that I sail right through the middle. The galley has almost no chance to avoid them. I  Once broadsided a red galley and as it slid past my ship it fired and all of the cannons hit the same two planks resulting in one being destroyed and the other leaking. I always carry spare planks and a hammer so I had the damage repaired before I was even out of aggro range and continued on my way. Had this been a smaller ship it would have been a little hairy but they are far more maneuverable so I would have been able to avoid or at least reduced the number of hits I took.

The fleets at least make it a challenge with the singles I was taking out Red ships with a sloop and s single cannon on the rear. Once I had it Aggro’d and following I adjusted my speed and distance then watched YouTube or surfed the web for 5 minutes waiting for it to die. With the large cannon limitations and the fleets I have to adjust my strategy at each encounter and the difficulty has gone up significantly although you can still kite them to divide and destroy rather than take on 3-5 at once. 

On 6/19/2019 at 6:55 PM, Whitehawk said:

I still think its crazy when I'm doing a run for salt in an unarmed sloop to be mobbed by sotd,I think they should have an aggro meter that only kicks in if the passing ships are armed.

A "run" for salt.

In the slowest frickin boat in the entire game.

Without any guns.

You could not wear a greater "KICK ME" sign tied to your boat than that.

Use a schooner and outrun them!

The sloop, in its current state, is an entirely and utterly useless piece of crap!

The only thing it has going for it is the tiny aggro radius.

You'd have to directly run into the center of a spawn to even be noticed by them, and then you'd still have to be in a coma not to realize the need to get out of there immediately.

In other words: The SotD AI behavior is one of the very, VERY few things in this game that are absolutely fine and can stay the way they currently are.

Also, ask yourself this:
If you don't like losing your ship when you're driving a sloop, which of the other types of ships would you enjoy more being sunk?

SotD must pose some sort of threat, even and possibly especially so if you decide not to defend yourself at all.

• Like 1

The wind never hits zero.  Even in minimum wind, you can outrun them in any ship.  Unless you overload, of course.  Don't overload, and then you can outrun them even in minimum wind no matter what.

what difference would it make to anyone if the sotd only aggro'ed armed ships?from what a lot of you are saying you can sail past or sink them all blindfolded,and as you  do your resource runs fully armed then you'll still get all the great sotd action you  love so much,as for giving up the game just cos I don't agree with one aspect of it,if we all did that there would be no mmo left would there.We all have things we'd like to see changed,even some of the atlas fanboys i'm sure,that's the point of the forum,its a place to discuss game related topics and views and for the devs to see  how we all feel about the game.If you're gonna blow a gasket over someone else's opinion then maybe its you who should take a break eh.

Being able to exploit the games mechanics and kiting sotd.. does not make sotd easy.  It just means you kite them around, forcing them to continually enter your zone of fire, whilst you are continually leaving theirs.. they should really stop us from either placing more than 2 rear facing cannons, or even make a small cannon, with a smaller calibre round for kiting, making it as sloooow as possible.   Same with balistra for whaling.  Give the ai some advantage as it is, it is too easy to kite them.  But going toe to toe is another matter.

They don't need to raise damage on the sotd.. anyone who has fought against the lv 40-60's in golden isles knows full well how much damage a volley from a brig/gally can do.  A single volley can sink a schooner, I've seen it happen.  Guy lost 4 planks off both sides and his deck in a single hit from a 58 galleon.  Goes without saying that he was probably already damaged but it was still quite a show.   If you get into close quarter fights with them in a brig or schooner.. a couple of brigs and a gally, even the lower level ones, can quickly force you to retreat.  Even if you have a jm or better planked ship.  I've lost planks off galleons and brigs on several occasions, it's a pain to have to replace them with default planks and if you're not admined to then have to ask admins to come along later and break the repaired planks so you can rebuild them with whatever you were using, if you didn't carry them with you etc.. Sotd spawn rates could do with being adjusted, so they don't spawn right on top of you.. I've seen this in fog alot.. exciting it is for sure, but ramming a galleon in the fog when you have a cargo of full racks or a dozen new tames is abit of a panic moment for the best of us. 

They just need to change how the sotd works, atm they give up too quickly, but this is a good thing as well as it can make kiting them abit harder, esp using galleons etc.  As by the time you've come to a stop, they've already given up chasing you.

Overall I think some minor balancing is needed, maybe have them come in closer to shore, even attack buildings etc would be welcome excitement. 

19 hours ago, user1 said:

A "run" for salt.

In the slowest frickin boat in the entire game.

Without any guns.

You could not wear a greater "KICK ME" sign tied to your boat than that.

Use a schooner and outrun them!

The sloop, in its current state, is an entirely and utterly useless piece of crap!

The only thing it has going for it is the tiny aggro radius.

You'd have to directly run into the center of a spawn to even be noticed by them, and then you'd still have to be in a coma not to realize the need to get out of there immediately.

In other words: The SotD AI behavior is one of the very, VERY few things in this game that are absolutely fine and can stay the way they currently are.

Also, ask yourself this:
If you don't like losing your ship when you're driving a sloop, which of the other types of ships would you enjoy more being sunk?

SotD must pose some sort of threat, even and possibly especially so if you decide not to defend yourself at all.

19 hours ago, sgzeroone said:

They have already nerfed this game to the point that there is no challenge on land....and now you want to remove all obstacles on the sea.  GTFOH....this is a survival game with nothing left to survive!

If you think this game is difficult in its current state.....you should get gud or just quit.   

#bringbackthechallenge 

These two posts pretty much sum it up right here. People like the OP are the reason this game is no longer a challenge, and everything has been nerfed into nothingness. I remember when it first came out and I tamed a wolf it was actually comparable to a bear in mele. Now they are worthless.

I guess next step is nerf the SOTD so you can take them out by slapping them with your pink ribbons and bows.

On 6/17/2019 at 3:52 PM, TyGeR_STD said:

Change the pack spawn of SoTD to back to single spawn, give players a 30 second immunity buff when zoning to a new grid, or a way to see what's on the other side before zoning (I think the buff would be easer)

The simplest fix is to tether SotD ships so that they turn away from zone lines once they get within a specific distance from one. An immunity timer isn't a bad idea in theory, but (and this is for @Devs who might be reading this and rubbing their chins thoughtfully) do not implement anything like this on PvP servers!  Like every game with immunity on zoning, players will just bounce back and forth across zones for permanent invulnerability.

Edited by Kast

Or alternatively you could turn the game into an ocean version of doom and have enemies dropping more enemies outa their backsides when you shoot em.why do some people believe that an mmo should be the same style of gaming as a hack n slash or first person shooter?where you  seem to think its not good enough unless your bursting your blazing way through a barrage of baddies and hammering your mashed up keys every damn minute of the game for all its worth?As soon as someone (who I might add plays pve,not pvp!)says they don't like some aggro or other they get called out for being un mmo patriotic.Maybe If a player wants to just constantly fight someone or something or they get bored,then they might be the one who needs to rethink about what an mmo should actually be,and maybe its them playing the wrong game.