Sign in to follow this  
Salty Del

Olfends are new friends.

New friends are abound! We’re a bit late to this party. We concentrated on tortugars, even after we found their limited uses (I still think they’re a fantastic taming mount, if they fix the bug of turning constantly right after using a bola).

But, now it was time for us to hunt an elusive olfend! Thankfully, we’ve found the olfends to be significantly easier to locate. They’re found in the desert biomes, but not every island seems to spawn them, so it may take a few tries to locate an island with them. We did the same thing we did for the tortugars; kill everything in a circuit and wait for one to spawn.

Unfortunately, they have something else in common with the tortugars. Tortugars, it’s difficult to find a high level one. Most of the ones we’ve found are single digits, with the highest one we’ve found being level 20. And a very high percentage of them were male. Olfends we’ve had the same kind of luck, except that most of the ones we’ve found were female. But, since they do spawn more frequently it’s not as big an issue. Just don’t expect to find a high level one quickly. It took us most of the weekend to finally find a 27 male.

The actual taming couldn’t be easier. Kill things in the area around the olfend, trap it with billboards, bola and feed it cactus or other grown veggies. We didn’t see a big difference when we ran out of cactus and had to switch to beans. And clean up your traps when you’re done!

The sweet spot to feed it is at it’s back, behind the front shoulder. It’s pretty generous with the range, so you only get hit if you run right in front of it.

Left mouse button is a fairly standard attack. They’re not very powerful, and most don’t have a ton of HP, stamina or weight, but they can hold their own in a fight or run away quickly. They can also jump, which can allow you to trip up mobs that are chasing you by crossing something they can’t.

The right mouse button sprays from it’s trunk. You may think it’s water; it’s snot (thank you, Jungle Cruise!) You can spray people that aren’t mounted and it will fill their water up. Maybe next weekend I’ll try this on a fire elemental. I may last 5 seconds instead of 2!

Pressing C makes it drink water. You have to be either in a clean water source, or in a spot that you could dig for water. Digging for water, it will take a fair bit of time to fill it’s tanks.

You can use weapons and bolas while mounted. After we tamed one, we started using them to tame others. Being able to jump to scale mountain sides is really handy. As an added bonus, if you want to tame lions, lions cannot pull you off the olfend. The olfends low damage makes it quite suitable for it to be used as a taming mount.

I can’t wait to see what the babies look like. 😊

48 minutes ago, Salty Del said:

New friends are abound! We’re a bit late to this party. We concentrated on tortugars, even after we found their limited uses (I still think they’re a fantastic taming mount, if they fix the bug of turning constantly right after using a bola).

But, now it was time for us to hunt an elusive olfend! Thankfully, we’ve found the olfends to be significantly easier to locate. They’re found in the desert biomes, but not every island seems to spawn them, so it may take a few tries to locate an island with them. We did the same thing we did for the tortugars; kill everything in a circuit and wait for one to spawn.

Unfortunately, they have something else in common with the tortugars. Tortugars, it’s difficult to find a high level one. Most of the ones we’ve found are single digits, with the highest one we’ve found being level 20. And a very high percentage of them were male. Olfends we’ve had the same kind of luck, except that most of the ones we’ve found were female. But, since they do spawn more frequently it’s not as big an issue. Just don’t expect to find a high level one quickly. It took us most of the weekend to finally find a 27 male.

The actual taming couldn’t be easier. Kill things in the area around the olfend, trap it with billboards, bola and feed it cactus or other grown veggies. We didn’t see a big difference when we ran out of cactus and had to switch to beans. And clean up your traps when you’re done!

The sweet spot to feed it is at it’s back, behind the front shoulder. It’s pretty generous with the range, so you only get hit if you run right in front of it.

Left mouse button is a fairly standard attack. They’re not very powerful, and most don’t have a ton of HP, stamina or weight, but they can hold their own in a fight or run away quickly. They can also jump, which can allow you to trip up mobs that are chasing you by crossing something they can’t.

The right mouse button sprays from it’s trunk. You may think it’s water; it’s snot (thank you, Jungle Cruise!) You can spray people that aren’t mounted and it will fill their water up. Maybe next weekend I’ll try this on a fire elemental. I may last 5 seconds instead of 2!

Pressing C makes it drink water. You have to be either in a clean water source, or in a spot that you could dig for water. Digging for water, it will take a fair bit of time to fill it’s tanks.

You can use weapons and bolas while mounted. After we tamed one, we started using them to tame others. Being able to jump to scale mountain sides is really handy. As an added bonus, if you want to tame lions, lions cannot pull you off the olfend. The olfends low damage makes it quite suitable for it to be used as a taming mount.

I can’t wait to see what the babies look like. 😊

If it is like ark which I am pretty sure it is. A new addition will bring low levels. The more you kill the more higher levels will respawn. It should be that way anyways. 

If you ever see a low level make sure to kill it, don’t just leave it alone.

Edited by Realist

Oh, we very thoroughly culled the herd. We tamed maybe 20% of the olfends we found. And I like to tame level 15+ because they could have just one stat that’s better than anything else we’ve got.

• Like 1

We have tamed a female olfend with lvl 30. 

After release of mega patch we found the first olfend with lvl 30. 

High lvl olfend is very rare...