Willard

Increase sailing speed

Increasing sailing speed?  

146 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to increase sailing speed?

• PvP player - Yes
    • PvP player - No
    • PvE player - Yes
    • PvE player - No

You can in pve. You haven't posted this under pvp forum nor have you specific stated that it is in reference only to pvp in the census. 

I can sail at 18.5 knots.. in pve.  Why you can't in pvp I have no idea..perhaps this should instead be your complaint.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1783680151 Scrn shows 18.11 but I actually got to 18.67 at one point.  Which is closer to 19, than to 18.. and I'm only usng 5 basic spd sails and 1 basic handling sail..

Edited by Martyn

3 minutes ago, Martyn said:

You can in pve. You haven't post this under pvp forum nor have you specific stated that it is in reference only to pvp in the census. 

I can sail at 18.5 knots.. in pve.  Why you can't in pvp I have no idea..

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1783680151 Scrn shows 18.11 but I actually got to 18.67 at one point.  Which is closer to 19, than to 18..

Ye, ofc you can. Im just saying these circumstances are very specific = full wind, 30% loaded ship (which means you don't transport resources, you don't have cannons and ammo etc. and you got best wind conditions). Why you can't go 19 knots with a pvp ship? Because its a war ship which means cannons, ammo, resources for repairs, more crew and less weight stat distribution (you invest points in damage/resistance/crew, weight is the last stat you care about). That basically means war ships have much more percentage of weight than your PvE galleon. 

I tell it again, don't use your TOP speed under ideal circumstances with unloaded PvE ship as a reference. You don't have nor full wind neither unloaded ship all the time.  It would be the same if I took no wind conditions with like half loaded ship and tell you "hey look, speed is low, you see those 5 knots?".

1 minute ago, Willard said:

Ye, ofc you can. Im just saying these circumstances are very specific = full wind, 30% loaded ship (which means you don't transport resources, you don't have cannons and ammo etc. and you got best wind conditions). Why you can't go 19 knots with a pvp ship? Because its a war ship which means cannons, ammo, resources for repairs, more crew and less weight stat distribution (you invest points in damage/resistance/crew, weight is the last stat you care about). That basically means war ships have much more percentage of weight than your PvE galleon. 

I tell it again, don't use your TOP speed under ideal circumstances with unloaded PvE ship as a reference. You don't have nor full wind neither unloaded ship all the time.  It would be the same if I took no wind conditions with like half loaded ship and tell you "hey look, speed is low, you see those 5 knots?".

But. If you increase default minimum speed.. don't you also increase default maximum? It's your choice to have all those extra cannons and cballs etc..it's your choice how you spec your ship levels.

Incidentally, I spec my haulers exactly the same as my combat ships.  225% resist 125% stubborness 2-4 pts in accomodation.  Maybe 1 extra crew.. just for the round number.

0 in weight.. 300 weight per pt.. hahaha!! no chance am I wasting a pt on that.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, Martyn said:

But. If you increase default minimum speed.. don't you also increase default maximum? It's your choice to have all those extra cannons and cballs etc..it's your choice how you spec your ship levels.

Incidentally, I spec my haulers exactly the same as my combat ships.  225% resist 125% stubborness 2-4 pts in accomodation.  Maybe 1 extra crew.. just for the round number.

0 in weight.. 300 weight per pt.. hahaha!! no chance am I wasting a pt on that.

Ofc its our choice to put those cannons etc. on the ship. But man, we are playing PvP, what do you expect, you can't do shipfights without speccing right and without cannons 🙂 ofc my opinions come from a PvP perspective. 

Maxspeed is ok for me if speed sails work. Average speed + speed with no wind/against the wind is the problem. 

5 hours ago, Willard said:

Ofc its our choice to put those cannons etc. on the ship. But man, we are playing PvP, what do you expect, you can't do shipfights without speccing right and without cannons 🙂 ofc my opinions come from a PvP perspective. 

Maxspeed is ok for me if speed sails work. Average speed + speed with no wind/against the wind is the problem. 

Don't u see that this here is exactly the problem and why ppl don't agree with you? It's your choice to overload your ships this much. Why should everyone have to suffer because you guys choose to build and load so heavy? You want everyone else to be "flexible" and be fine with the idea that the big griefing companys can get around even faster with their heavy loaded pvp-ships. How about you guys would be "flexible" and adapt your style instead?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sinappia said:

Don't u see that this here is exactly the problem and why ppl don't agree with you? It's your choice to overload your ships this much. Why should everyone have to suffer because you guys choose to build and load so heavy? You want everyone else to be "flexible" and be fine with the idea that the big griefing companys can get around even faster with their heavy loaded pvp-ships. How about you guys would be "flexible" and adapt your style instead?

Yep, he wants an easier game for himself and a harder game for everyone else.   He wants faster sailing speed so he can attack weaker players.. whilst also speccing his ship in such a way as to maximise it.

I just can't help but think there is a lot more to adjusting the speed of ships without screwing with other things.  Rendering in objects, on ship weapon speed (cannon balls, harpoon, swivels .... etc) especially when newer/faster ships are released, but I really don't know.  I think a better option would be some sort of worm hole fast travel to other parts of the grid for ships.  Perhaps each server has a maelstrom centrally located in it that gave you the ability to fast travel to any other maelstrom that is 3+ grids away.  If your going three servers over you have to sail it.  If you going from B6 to N10 you can use the Maelstrom travel.  Would certainly make PvP a more open affair with companies attacking across the map instead of for the most part locally.  Numbers can be adjusted, maybe 4 or 5 grids away instead of 3.  Maybe you take ship damage as a result of using it as well.

Kinda like this 

Before you start .... I know.  It is a stretch and not very realistic, regardless thoughts are welcome.

43 minutes ago, Elmo said:

I just can't help but think there is a lot more to adjusting the speed of ships without screwing with other things.  Rendering in objects, on ship weapon speed (cannon balls, harpoon, swivels .... etc) especially when newer/faster ships are released, but I really don't know.  I think a better option would be some sort of worm hole fast travel to other parts of the grid for ships.  Perhaps each server has a maelstrom centrally located in it that gave you the ability to fast travel to any other maelstrom that is 3+ grids away.  If your going three servers over you have to sail it.  If you going from B6 to N10 you can use the Maelstrom travel.  Would certainly make PvP a more open affair with companies attacking across the map instead of for the most part locally.  Numbers can be adjusted, maybe 4 or 5 grids away instead of 3.  Maybe you take ship damage as a result of using it as well.

Kinda like this 

Before you start .... I know.  It is a stretch and not very realistic, regardless thoughts are welcome.

they where using the 3 cannons in each gunport cheat ahahaha cheaters!!!!!!

Use Handlingsails with high acceleration. 6 x Handlings with 133 And 70% weight And still sailing 12 knots with non optimal wind

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Elmo said:

Kinda like this 

We got mystical creatures, so this maelstrom theory could be possible as well 😁

Next mega update will bring some changes (hopefully). Maybe better auto pilot options 🤔

-Anne Beaglelove

15 hours ago, Sinappia said:

14 hours ago, Martyn said:

Yep, he wants an easier game for himself and a harder game for everyone else.   He wants faster sailing speed so he can attack weaker players.. whilst also speccing his ship in such a way as to maximise it.

1) Guys, 1 question, do you play PvP or are you PvE players? Because if you did you would know there is a certain meta regarding battle ships 🙂 If you go fighting you NEED to have certain amount of cannon balls (especially if you go fight somewhere far away because you can´t easily refill), you need to have damage/resistance ships, you need to have spare planks and resources to repair. This leads to ship which is around 50% weight (sometimes 55%). Thats the meta, you don´t have a lot of choices here and all war ships look pretty much the same. 

2) If you levelup your warship into weight instead of resistance/damage, you will be faster but you won´t be able to sustain in battle. So you will run away from actual war ships. That means - why the heck should I take a faster boat which can´t fight with actual war ships? 

3) Martyn that´s to you. How does increasing sailing speed put me in advantage over others? Others will be faster too, I just don´t get it sorry. And man, please, look at the poll, actually MAJORITY (85%) of players wants to increase sailing speed, don´t tell me about poor others. 

Conclusion: No, I don´t want any advantage to me. I just don´t want to spend 2 hours of sailing 5 tiles away if I don´t get the ideal wind, fight a bit and go back for another 2 hours. 

Edited by Willard

On 6/18/2019 at 5:50 AM, Martyn said:

Not so at all and indeed not what many part time players even do.  I've seen several in my last company and in my current.  "Casual Players" sail 1-2 regions, explore a little, do some maps. Log out.

You are not looking for faster travel or even a way to end the boredom of playing a game that requires grind.  You want a resolution only for you.

So lets hear your ideas? How would you increase sailing for your pleasure, whilst keeping the game balanced for everyone else?

All I've seen you do is counter argue someone elses ideas whilst putting nothing forward yourself.  Other than excuses for why you have a problem with sailing.  Excuses.. not reasons.

Indeed 2 of our guys, one casual, one a fanatic.. have spent the last 4 days irl time, sailing around looking for potential new bases on already settled islands.  They've located several and indeed we're starting to build on one just now, with the kind permission of the settlement owners.  People we'd never even met before tonight.

Alot of people here are demanding increased speed for pvp.. to either escape or to attack.. they don't need it for either if we keep the same current system.  From a pve point of view.. we also don't need anymore increases in speed.  Sotd can't do 17 knots.. if you can't that's your fault. Build a better ship.  If you're in pvp, play with others... then you can sail around at 5 knots.. and still win.

I haven't seen a single stand up reason why we as a global community need 10 knot speeds as default. Other than its "boring".  Everything is boring with experience and experience is always fun.  Fact of life. 

As for the guy having 1300 hours ingame.. not understanding people with only 3-4.. he probably understands you better than you do.  His argument is sound, but you completely bypass what he said with some excuse that casual players somehow deserve more attention than time served players.  Sorry, but no.  Either we're all equal or those who play most, get the most attention.

Thanks! haha

37 minutes ago, Willard said:

1) Guys, 1 question, do you play PvP or are you PvE players? Because if you did you would know there is a certain meta regarding battle ships 🙂 If you go fighting you NEED to have certain amount of cannon balls (especially if you go fight somewhere far away because you can´t easily refill), you need to have damage/resistance ships, you need to have spare planks and resources to repair. This leads to ship which is around 50% weight (sometimes 55%). Thats the meta, you don´t have a lot of choices here and all war ships look pretty much the same. 

2) If you levelup your warship into weight instead of resistance/damage, you will be faster but you won´t be able to sustain in battle. So you will run away from actual war ships. That means - why the heck should I take a faster boat which can´t fight with actual war ships? 

3) Martyn that´s to you. How does increasing sailing speed put me in advantage over others? Others will be faster too, I just don´t get it sorry. And man, please, look at the poll, actually MAJORITY (85%) of players wants to increase sailing speed, don´t tell me about poor others. 

Conclusion: No, I don´t want any advantage to me. I just don´t want to spend 2 hours of sailing 5 tiles away if I don´t get the ideal wind, fight a bit and go back for another 2 hours. 

I'ma tell ya now my armored brig never hits above 40% weight and yes I put points in weight, have pleeeeeeeeeenty of supplies and yes I do add res/dmg in the skills as well. No I don't have to run because of sustainability. Yes I play PVP, probably more on the water than on land. 

The "85%" you sayin wants this is about 25 people.... thats seen this thread. Every single one of my crew do not want this and thats about 25 people right there. Add the allies and friends I have outside my company, prob round 40-60 people that side with me on keeping the speed the way it is.

This is styled to be an MMO. Its not ark. We're not on one map where you can just jump from one server to the next and start fighting immediately. This game is styled so that you have to PLAN OUT SHIT. So stop whining about not having time to do crap and make a damn plan to do it derp.

"I can't attack this guy because hes 4 grids away and the winds never right. " Then inch you tail closer and set up a FOB nearby. And if ya tell me "they'll see that coming" well then just stop playing because your creating immediate failure without even doing anything. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, kilonkasio said:

Thanks! haha

I'ma tell ya now my armored brig never hits above 40% weight and yes I put points in weight, have pleeeeeeeeeenty of supplies and yes I do add res/dmg in the skills as well. No I don't have to run because of sustainability. Yes I play PVP, probably more on the water than on land. 

The "85%" you sayin wants this is about 25 people.... thats seen this thread. Every single one of my crew do not want this and thats about 25 people right there. Add the allies and friends I have outside my company, prob round 40-60 people that side with me on keeping the speed the way it is.

This is styled to be an MMO. Its not ark. We're not on one map where you can just jump from one server to the next and start fighting immediately. This game is styled so that you have to PLAN OUT SHIT. So stop whining about not having time to do crap and make a damn plan to do it derp.

"I can't attack this guy because hes 4 grids away and the winds never right. " Then inch you tail closer and set up a FOB nearby. And if ya tell me "they'll see that coming" well then just stop playing because your creating immediate failure without even doing anything. 

Exactly this is what several ppl have been telling him now since he started this topic. But he keeps claiming how it is for all us. No matter how many times you explain him how this is only good for the big agressive companies, that do not want to put in the effort (aka being lazy).
I think he might only shut up if u tell your company members to come here and vote now and he actually see's the numbers.

And @Willard don't even start with "do u even PvP". I do - and unlike your company mine still excists!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Willard said:

You need to learn to be more adaptive, just because something is meta doesn't mean that it suits in all situations. Just Like Kilonkasio has done you have to adapt the "Meta" so it suits your situation better - if enemies are far away you just simply have to spec your ship different and all of the sudden you can reach them and guess what!? You will actually be faster than your opponents and can all of the sudden intercept them and you can dictate the pace of the fight since they are heavier than you.

The claim you can't even place a FOB just simply is a sign of that the way you are doing it is wrong and you have to do it different, read more on guerilla warfare - you might find some good tips and ideas from that kind of fighting so you know how to successfully install a FOB.

13 hours ago, kilonkasio said:

Thanks! haha

Did you even look at the poll? 25 people 😄 85 people wants to increase sailing, 15 don´t. Look at numbers before you start writing false facts man 🙂 Btw I would like to see your "war brig" at 40% weight full loaded with and with armor armor, that could be fun. Ship cannons on the deck right? 😄 But thats not the topic. Your "whole company wants to be like it is" argument - I can counter it with my company which stopped playing because we got bored of travelling times. And that´s around 50 people. And ye, most of them aren´t on forums just like your guys. Just stick with a poll 🙂 

You are funny with that "plan our shit", I know you got to plan long journeys, I just can´t play 8 hours a day to sail more than 3 tiles away, fight there and go back. That´s pretty much it. It takes too much time to travel somewhere. FOB won´t help you with travelling, it helps you only with land raids and refilling your ships, it doesn´t solve transfer from point A to point B and the other way around. You would have to build another protected shipyard which means another NPCs to maintain etc. 

11 hours ago, Wushi said:

You need to learn to be more adaptive, just because something is meta doesn't mean that it suits in all situations. Just Like Kilonkasio has done you have to adapt the "Meta" so it suits your situation better - if enemies are far away you just simply have to spec your ship different and all of the sudden you can reach them and guess what!? You will actually be faster than your opponents and can all of the sudden intercept them and you can dictate the pace of the fight since they are heavier than you.

The claim you can't even place a FOB just simply is a sign of that the way you are doing it is wrong and you have to do it different, read more on guerilla warfare - you might find some good tips and ideas from that kind of fighting so you know how to successfully install a FOB.

Man thank you for teaching me how to fight another ships, I only spent like 600 hours doing ship fights in this game but thx. No, I won´t be "fast" with 40% weight brig, I will be a little faster than with current build which means I will still travel insane amount of time from tile 1 to tile 5 😉 I don´t solve speed in ship battles, all I solve is travelling time with no action (and watching series or movies). With FOBs again, thank you for telling me, I´ve already build like 5-6 fobs and succesfully raided defenders but ye, tell me how to do it. Or no, tell me a different think - how will FOB solve TRAVELLING TIME between tiles? FOB won´t protect your ships, you can´t leave your ships somewhere without properly protected harbor - and that´s not FOB, its a base. 

12 hours ago, Sinappia said:

Exactly this is what several ppl have been telling him now since he started this topic. But he keeps claiming how it is for all us. No matter how many times you explain him how this is only good for the big agressive companies, that do not want to put in the effort (aka being lazy).
I think he might only shut up if u tell your company members to come here and vote now and he actually see's the numbers.

And @Willard don't even start with "do u even PvP". I do - and unlike your company mine still excists!

Ye my company doesn´t exist. We merged with another company because most people got bored of travelling for PvP and simply refused to invest such insane amounts of time to even have a chance to fight (just like the company we merged into), only those most resistant stayed 😉 

Guys, lets not argue with each other. You seem a little mad I even created this topic. I want to increase sailing speed, you don´t, don´t try to teach me "how to", I know pretty much everything in this game and tried everything. If travelling times are ok for you it´s ok, I won´t try to persuade you, just vote so the devs can see what most people want and they can shape the game around it 🙂 Peace. 

Edited by Willard

I moved my galleon from O5 to O9 last night.  I had a strong wind south the whole trip,  it took about 20 mins to get there and it was fucking amazing! If I could sail like this most of the time I would play a lot more.  As it is if I log on to do something and have a shit wind then I log out and go play something else.

21 hours ago, Elmo said:

Kinda like this 

Good idea actually. This + sea currents would help 🙂 

The question is too simplistic to answer correctly.
Would I like a solution to lower the long-distance travel times: yes.
-|> introduce a long-distance travel mode (with a limitation on course adjustment speed + with a slow procedure to rig the sails differently, that does not allow a quick change to a more versatile combat mode)
Would I like to keep the current speed for encounters and manoeuvers: yes.

So in your poll I answered 'no' as a PVE player. And I would have answered 'no' as a PvP player as well if you would have set up the poll to allow for player reality (where players are not exclusively PvP or PvE).

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Willard said:

Did you even look at the poll? 25 people 😄 85 people wants to increase sailing, 15 don´t. Look at numbers before you start writing false facts man 🙂 

Since you keep wanting to talk about PVP, I'm stating on the PVP side of that. To hell with PVE servers and their votes. IMO they can go play unofficial. 

9b866065a5d35a077ead41523898971d.png

7 hours ago, wandelaar said:

The question is too simplistic to answer correctly.
Would I like a solution to lower the long-distance travel times: yes.
-|> introduce a long-distance travel mode (with a limitation on course adjustment speed + with a slow procedure to rig the sails differently, that does not allow a quick change to a more versatile combat mode)
Would I like to keep the current speed for encounters and manoeuvers: yes.

So in your poll I answered 'no' as a PVE player. And I would have answered 'no' as a PvP player as well if you would have set up the poll to allow for player reality (where players are not exclusively PvP or PvE).

Kinda like this:

It should be performed from Atlas map the moment a captain sits on the steering wheel.

It should be possible when a ship exits immediate island area, and only to the islands already discovered by that person or a tribe of that person.

The fast travel itself should look like autopilot with ship x3 the normal speed, with modifiers concerning current wind and weight (as if the travel is normal, only x3 speed and autopilot).

The autopilot on x3 should stop if a non allied object comes into its range and be disabled until enough distance is made or object destroyed, and should stop on bad weather (fogs, tornadoes), until ships exits the affected area or the effect passes.

It should be cancelable by user, but with cooldown added case of that, to prevent pvp exploits.

To prevent possible exploit in pvp scenarios , maybe a warning to destination island on pvp servers should be issued that “xy is on its way to your island” message.

I just want them to remove the sailing speed decrease on cargo racks tbh. The extra weight on the ship is enough of a decrease.

This is a Perfect example of the Player, putting what he thinks is best for him in front of whats best for the game!

They don't need to increase sailing speeds at all there already too fast, what they need to do is give us realistic Sail types and how they perform in the correct wind!

If you ask a player they will always want things easier!!!  

But when things are Easy they loss there value....  If you can build a ship in 1 day its not worth much is it!

The game needs to increase the value on everything across the board, which means we need things to be harder and take more time!

Harvesting should be slowed down dramatically, Sailing speed slowed down dramatically...  Then Ships become more valuable!

And with value comes a fear of loss!!!

And with a fear of loss it discourages senseless pvp for pvp sake!

Just because a game has PvP enabled doesn't mean thats all the game should be!  They need to merge PvE and PvP together with one Rule set that works for both partys!!!

59 minutes ago, Sulfurblade said:

This is a Perfect example of the Player, putting what he thinks is best for him in front of whats best for the game!

They don't need to increase sailing speeds at all there already too fast, what they need to do is give us realistic Sail types and how they perform in the correct wind!

If you ask a player they will always want things easier!!!  

But when things are Easy they loss there value....  If you can build a ship in 1 day its not worth much is it!

The game needs to increase the value on everything across the board, which means we need things to be harder and take more time!

Harvesting should be slowed down dramatically, Sailing speed slowed down dramatically...  Then Ships become more valuable!

And with value comes a fear of loss!!!

And with a fear of loss it discourages senseless pvp for pvp sake!

Just because a game has PvP enabled doesn't mean thats all the game should be!  They need to merge PvE and PvP together with one Rule set that works for both partys!!!

Oh ships need to slow down dramatically. Hmm, ok ... there is nothing more enjoyable than going for a different kind of material 6 tiles away with even reduced sailing speed ! 😄 no man, seriously, that would kill the playerbase.

Sailing isn't about being hard, its about being time consuming. Ye, people don't like boring time consuming things in computer games. They play to enjoy, not to watch tv series while sailing. 

And ye, I think increasing sailing speed (definitely on lomger distances) would help playerbase because it would be less time consuming and let players do things they enjoy in game instead of mindless sailing for hours. Ofc its my personal opinion, I never wrote its a general opinion, thats why I created a poll. 

Edited by Willard

He is right, faster speed makes even more things meaningless!
Also with more tools (sails etc) we could adapt to specific usecases more. ATM we are limited.

85% out of 110 votes vs the thousands of thousands that play. Yea applause you're a winner.🙄

You know why you are here complaining in the forums a lot of others are off actually playing and not here in the forums enjoying the way it is.

It is find the way it is now. So this group that is is what 2 hours from you? Ok so let's say you beat them then what? What about the group that is 2 more hours past them that is supposed to be really good? Then you goin to want to even faster. This isn't a small game it is massive game. If you wish to be the best in the game you going to have to have more bases set up. Also why can't you log out on the boat and let some else head that way by the time you log on you are ready for battle or closer to being ready. Then if you win and don't end up sinking the log off o. The boat and you sail back. Multiple ways of handling it. If you don't have the people then you not goin to be able to travel far and get back in 5 hours.

Like many have said you just want it easier for many reasons that have already been said by others but my thoughts is so if you sink you can get back to your ship at the bottom of the ocean before they get to it.😉😂😂😂