Willard

Increase sailing speed

Increasing sailing speed?  

146 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to increase sailing speed?

• PvP player - Yes
    • PvP player - No
    • PvE player - Yes
    • PvE player - No

Advanced issues found

On 6/17/2019 at 2:56 PM, RipPaw said:

Instead of increasing the speed, can we have more control for like backing up and turning while the sails are up??? The other day I got stuck between land and a dock and had to destroy the ship to not leave it there unlike 50% of all the abandoned ships on the map.

I would like to add that because I have somewhat progressed through and have a better ship, WE do need more speed. The traveling takes forever. 60% of the time if not higher the winds are not in our favor. With the increase to the traveling speed, the speed of the ship at the lowest wind speed will be higher also. I do not want to spend 1 hour of my available to play 2 hours traveling from A1 to B2 and back (especially when it comes down to resource gathering). I understand that this will depend on the sails and the ships themselves. I also understand that these types of mechanics allow you (the devs) to drive players to play for longer periods and achieve their goals much slower. **The only problem is its too tedious, which causes folks to leave, creating problems in accomplishing the semi-endgame and endgame content.***

Maybe tradewinds would help, like a certain band across the grid with excellent wind almost all the time, allowing for faster travel, but almost impossible to stay in that band when fighting ships or sailing toward land.

Just be sure to give a slider for unofficial server and single player. 

As said before, give something more meaningfull at your destination, and the sail speed become secondary.

Otherwise:

If i only sail to pickup some tames, and i can plan my journey it takes 6min per grid. At this speed means you can go everywhere on the map in about 1 hour. Oc the ship is more then empty (~12% load)! The hardest part is sailing trough equatiorial where there is no space.

I have a 3 122% handling sail (fighter) brig, which is fun to sail, not to slow, wider angle and turnability of a schooner and beyond. A good BP of this is a welcomed game changer. The speed sails BPs need a purpose asap.

To fix sailspeed they can not easyly increase the max speed. When traveling with 21 knots, you can not reakt to SotD with a galleon, neighter correct a beaching course other then spam x. Going fullspeed is taxing. Also avoiding other player ships can be hard (not that it matters in PVE). You might deload while laoding an island.

I would like to have (speed) sails have a higher efficacy for lower wind senario. Like atm speed at lowest wind is 0.57 times highest wind (not storm). How about making speed sails to  bring it to ~0.75 or even higher?

That would be 16.35 knots instead of 12,4 knots for a 21,8 knots topspeed galleon. Kinda reasonable.

• Like 3

From my admitedly limited perspective so far the biggest time consumer for me is not the wind/storms/etc its the ships of the damned especially now they've been made flotillas (Maybe on golden age islands but not everywhere).

Probably not as much of a problem for big tribes or well geared people but for me it can easily add 20-30 minutes sail time just detouring (often with bad wind) to get safely around them. Something made worse when you've got the 12 ship flotilla's or as happened a few times several flotilla's close to each other and moving around.

Honestly its driven me in solo to the point where when I run into them I just use fly/kill then get back on my ship and cary on sailling. Its made a huge difference to my time/enjoyment but its not something I should feel like I'm forced into. Either cheat to get them out of my way or spend ages detouring around the half dozen enemy ships. Single ships I could put in the time (though even then it wasn't fun especially since they tended to cluster) or take them on with preperation. Now they've just become a mechanic I cheat to eliminate till I have a brig or galleon.

On official servers and indeed quite a few private ones though that's not an option so you do have to spend the extra time just sailing in the wrong direction to get to where you want to go and like I said even on short journey's that can add half an hour depending on the wind (which also affects how close your willing to go). On longer multi grid ones I've had my travel time doubled or more by the need to avoid them particularly in cases where they're in a line like this - - - - - and you have to sail far enough to loop round without stirring them up in order to get to a specific island on the far side.

Edited by Senkoau

not more speed

fix the sails, so that they do what they shall do 

little hint -> speedsails dosnt do all what thy have to do ( substats )

• Like 1

Yes, as a causal player i generally only have time to play in 2 - 3 grids away from home base. One of the biggest hindrance is the speed of the game,  traveling specifically. Most, almost all MMO's actually that i play have a fast travel functions. 

Sure we have beds... but its not the same as we cant take anything...

My idea to fix this.

1) shrink the size of the grids, not huge but like 10% all ocean, no land mass. 

2) i do want to note, im simplifying this. Wind speed mechanics needs to change. 50% of the time it needs to be high, 30% medium, and 10% storms, 10% low/calm.

I understand in real life sailors had to deal with calm seas but this is a video game. I don't want to get rid if it, but it should be more of an event like cyclones.

Not sure I can think of any reason that fast travel would be an issue in pve. In pvp I find it a problem. Why take the time to build a great ship if I can build a few decent ones and get back to the fight in a matter of minutes. What reward do I get if I sink someone and they get back with another ship or if i sink it as well what about the 3rd ship. I don't get time to dive to the bottom of the ocean and loot the ship I won the battle. No reward besides I spend all the time to make all the materials that I spent sinking the ship and then all the materials to repair and replace what I used. Oh I'm rewarded victory. Sorry no thanks. I think I deserve the loot from the ship I sink with out the hassle of them fast traveling back for a rematch right away. So I say no to fast travel in pvp. Could improvements be made for better sailing? Yes I think so but not fast travel. Just my thoughts. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Kummba said:

I would like to have (speed) sails have a higher efficacy for lower wind senario. Like atm speed at lowest wind is 0.57 times highest wind (not storm). How about making speed sails to  bring it to ~0.75 or even higher?

That would be 16.35 knots instead of 12,4 knots for a 21,8 knots topspeed galleon. Kinda reasonable.

Heck yeah, I'd take that improvement over the current, completely broken state of speed sails. I assume that would mitigate the concerns the designers have with increasing the top end. But at this point I'm practically apoplectic about the reluctance to address the issue either in UI, public discussion, or in-game balance. They have been "pondering" it for over 3 months now.

Thats why fast travel is not listed as my ideas as to fix travel in game.

3 hours ago, crazywildfire said:

Not sure I can think of any reason that fast travel would be an issue in pve. In pvp I find it a problem. Why take the time to build a great ship if I can build a few decent ones and get back to the fight in a matter of minutes. What reward do I get if I sink someone and they get back with another ship or if i sink it as well what about the 3rd ship. I don't get time to dive to the bottom of the ocean and loot the ship I won the battle. No reward besides I spend all the time to make all the materials that I spent sinking the ship and then all the materials to repair and replace what I used. Oh I'm rewarded victory. Sorry no thanks. I think I deserve the loot from the ship I sink with out the hassle of them fast traveling back for a rematch right away. So I say no to fast travel in pvp. Could improvements be made for better sailing? Yes I think so but not fast travel. Just my thoughts. 

Thats why fast travel is listed in as fix for travel in this game. I agree it would not work.

Traveltime is one giant reason this game is dead.

1-2 hours traveltime each time you want to have some some pvp is not feasible.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, oni said:

Traveltime is one giant reason this game is dead.

1-2 hours traveltime each time you want to have some some pvp is not feasible.

*buys a game advertised as pirate themed, piracy being closely associated with sailing, a time intensive form of travel.*

*complains about the time intensiveness of sailing*

In one hour with decent wind I can cross 3-4 grids. If you are having to go that far to pvp, I agree that’s a problem, but the problem is the lack of population that leaves you needing to do so much traveling, not the travel time itself. I would agree that the devs should consider beefing up content to help make the journey more interesting. More depth to music and dance including multiple buffs that make sense while sailing would be a start, to keep the trip lively. Also maybe a card game that could be played while all hands are still at action stations would be good.

I didnt buy a sailing or pirate simulator. I bought a game I knew relativly little about, besides the pirate theme, which I hoped to be good and fun to play.

From playing said game for hundreds of hours, I can say that the damn traveltime is too long for most players.

Nobody but the jobless have time to waste sailing around for hours, just for the slight chance to find some fun and action, (or god forbid raid for hours) and then have to sail the same way back.

Your one hour for 3-4 grids in decend wind becomes easily 2 hours if your ship isnt pretty much empty. 3-4 hours if the wind isnt decent (which is the case most of the time). And now double that if you actually want to get back home. And you didnt even do any raiding - this is pure traveltime.

No wonder the players ran away, this game simply wastes too much of their time before you come to the enjoyable parts.

It isnt worth the effort. There are too many better alternatives like Ark (yes even ark) or Rust.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, oni said:

I didnt buy a sailing or pirate simulator. I bought a game I knew relativly little about, besides the pirate theme, which I hoped to be good and fun to play.

From playing said game for hundreds of hours, I can say that the damn traveltime is too long for most players.

Nobody but the jobless have time to waste sailing around for hours, just for the slight chance to find some fun and action, (or god forbid raid for hours) and then have to sail the same way back.

Your one hour for 3-4 grids in decend wind becomes easily 2 hours if your ship isnt pretty much empty. 3-4 hours if the wind isnt decent (which is the case most of the time). And now double that if you actually want to get back home. And you didnt even do any raiding - this is pure traveltime.

No wonder the players ran away, this game simply wastes too much of their time before you come to the enjoyable parts.

It isnt worth the effort. There are too many better alternatives like Ark (yes even ark) or Rust.

When your ship is at 55% of max weight it’s speed is the exact same as if it were empty. The point at which weight begins to affect speed is about 60% of max. Plan accordingly.

If the wind is strong in any direction then there is almost 270 degrees of direction you can sail and get full benefit of the wind. Just don’t sail in the exact wrong direction. I find that the wind is strong lately far more often than it is weak. Sorry but I flatly don’t believe your assertion that wind is bad most of the time, it is strongly at odds with my own experience and sounds like whining. Cruise zone borders to avoid storms and check which zone has the stronger wind. Do these things to sail smartly instead of playing the victim card and you will find the time problems you mentioned falling more into line with the timeframes I described.

From playing the game for hundreds of hours, you can say that the damn travel time is too long for you, but not most players. One of the biggest fallacies made by forum posters is to equate their own preferences and experiences as common to everyone without basis.

I have a job. It takes up more hours than most. I still don’t have any problems getting around Atlas because I figured out how to work within this game mechanic rather than flailing against it. Go and do likewise. Or quit. You were warned Early Access is unfinished and unpolished.  Many players quit for a multitude of reasons, but based on the things they said here and ingame, many did so because of unrealistic expectations that Atlas would play like a finished product. Since you didn’t know much about it before you bought it, it sounds an awful lot like you fit into this category.

6 minutes ago, boomervoncannon said:

If the wind is strong in any direction then there is almost 270 degrees of direction you can sail and get full benefit of the wind. Just don’t sail in the exact wrong direction. I find that the wind is strong lately far more often than it is weak. Sorry but I flatly don’t believe your assertion that wind is bad most of the time, it is strongly at odds with my own experience and sounds like whining. Cruise zone borders to avoid storms and check which zone has the stronger wind. Do these things to sail smartly instead of playing the victim card and you will find the time problems you mentioned falling more into line with the timeframes I described.

From playing the game for hundreds of hours, you can say that the damn travel time is too long for you, but not most players. One of the biggest fallacies made by forum posters is to equate their own preferences and experiences as common to everyone without basis. 

I have a job. It takes up more hours than most. I still don’t have any problems getting around Atlas because I figured out how to work within this game mechanic rather than flailing against it. Go and do likewise. Or quit. You were warned Early Access is unfinished and unpolished.  Many players quit for a multitude of reasons, but based on the things they said here and ingame, many did so because of unrealistic expectations that Atlas would play like a finished product. Since you didn’t know much about it before you bought it, it sounds an awful lot like you fit into this category. 

If the wind is weak only half of the time, then thats already too much. Its an arbitrary gamemechanic that doesnt contribute anything but wasting the time of the player for the sake of "realism". Imagine travelling in Ark or Rust, and at random times the game reduces or halves your movementspeed. There is nothing "smart" about sailing in its current form (actual pvp ship fights excluded). And there is nothing I can do about it as player if the wind is weak.

I dont just equate my preferences to everyone without reason.  I've seen the number of players this game has left, and hear people complain daily, how fucking bad the wind is again and again and again. And its a point I agree with.

One big issue imho is how this game in its current form wastes too much of its players time. And I simply assume that most people value their time

I basically had zero expectations going into this game, since the trailer didnt show much actual gameplay and so I lagged through the first day of the launch and shrugged it off, I'm not easy to enrage

But If I see glaring issues where change could maybe improve the game, and save it I'll voice my opinion.

• Like 1

I am for increasing ship sailing speed, if only adding that as an option to server setting. To be clear: My friends and I can't play MMO. We tried the PVE server. We have real life obligations and sometimes can't play for weeks. We come back to nothing and everything dead. We only have a couple of hours a night to play when we do. It takes an average of 20 minutes to cross a single zone in a brigantine with almost nothing on it, which, incidentally, takes a long time to build even with maxed harvest settings. That's 40 minutes of doing nothing but sailing just to go one adjacent grid to get salt and back. There's no one to trade with for food or exotic materials. Carry everything on your boat you say? That eliminates the point of being able to build a base and makes sailing EVEN SLOWER. Sailing is incredibly boring and pointless. Someone has to watch for SOD and cyclones while the other members literally play other games IAW. It is like watching a movie, except one where nothing happens. Single player is pretty terrible already in that we don't get all the discovery zones, the NPC pirates are glitchy and broken, and frankly, the entire game is set up for a company of 40 to play. And I don't want to hear anything from people who can dedicate 12 hours a day to a video game that 'them's the breaks, play MMO or go home'. Why even have a single player option if the game can't be realistically played that way? Do the developers want our money too? Apparently. We recently took our own poll and have decided we will likely be quitting this game soon, never to come back, and recommend to anyone we know not to buy this game unless they have nothing else to do with their lives but watch water evaporate.

On 8/1/2019 at 8:32 PM, oni said:

i couldnt agree with you more, but probably the problem is not the sailing travel alone but rather how it fits with the rest of the inexistent sea elements, sailing is very boring simply because is neither rewarding nor fun, i would eliminate the "against the wind" penalty while keeping the "with the wind" boost, i would change the loot of SotDs, the weight of ammo and its price, stablish trading routes and add value to rare resources making sea and land exploration worth it, that would totally change the impression you have on sailing, sadly i highly doubt this devs are that creative, you can just hope that the new guy they hired  manages to pull a huuuge plot twist.

Lol why pick up so old post ?

So if you are so lazy to test or ask then i tell you

build  mythical sails  and you get  bonuses like you get armor bonuses if you gonna craft  better quality ones than common.

so ok i have a galleon with 6 large speedsails with regular  wind its 16 knots fast so it takes some minutes to go another grid. 

so how was that stupid ship must be ? 100 knots like  1 second for one grid  lol  

Edited by Hexaron

Yes on pve! More speed but with rendering time on SOD so low now...

I say the SOD and now whales are a major problem for me. You have too little time to react. Faster ship speed makes that worse.

You must at times spend over an hour traveling but can't take your eyes off the screen without risking the loss of your ship. There must be a better way to deal with long trips... like fast travel points on the map. More and more I just try to avoid long trips altogether.

On 6/16/2019 at 4:40 AM, Sovreign said:

I mentioned this on the discord, and also put forward the idea of removing completely the low wind mechanic.
Needless to say I was shot down by a myriad of what I can only assume are no lifers telling me to 'get good' and to 'time my sailing' better, then there were the people saying its fine and that they enjoy sailing. It wasn't received well. Which is just odd. Gameplay in my opinion.. should be engaging and fun. sailing is neither of those things atm. and FAR too time consuming.
the fact that speed sails arnt being fixed because of overuse and troubles balancing doesnt help either.

Im just glad to see other people that are of like mind like me, that dont want to spend hours upon hours doing nothing in game. (I stopped playing Ark for this very reason, everything in the game seemed to have been implemented just to slow you down and keep you in game)

having said all that, Im still playing Atlas, as theres just enough to do besides massive journeys and endless sailing. im +1k hours so I like to think I have some idea of what im talking about, and I support this post. 
anything to get me across the map faster.

No you got shot down because that's a ****ing terrible idea. Sailing requires wind, that's kind of the whole thing

I KNOW WHAT WE SHOULD DO! Lets add motors to the ships so they go faster! 

Next dlc we can have giant glowing ice creatures that shoot lasers out of their eyes and can fly across the map in 2 hops... err.. wait.

Lol

I do not see the need to increase the speed of the sails, in my opinion everything is normal with this question.

If you want to increase the speed of the ship, limit its load, remove the cargo from the sides, and finally, engage in obtaining recipes to improve the sails.

Schooner with a load of 30%, without cargo, with a full crosswind (Ordinary sails), develops a speed of more than 18 knots. At this speed, a sector can be passed in a few minutes.

Edited by Daigari

Go and play call of duty if you don't like SAILING in a SAILING game it's not even slow this whole thread makes no sense my brig schooner and galleon all go through a grid within 5-10mins

yeh and if you wanna adventure beneath the sea try subnautica, this is a sailing game dammit, why the hell would we need a submarine? Oh sorry my hypocrisy meter was flashing for a minute.